• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

The_Lump

Banned
There are three people putting their credibility on the line for this rumor. One of them posted in this thread that there are Koopa Kids in the game.

I don't know why she's getting singled out.

Because sexism.

Honestly, I'd hope this kind of shit would gradually be eradicated on gaf, but sadly not.

OT: Hype! Looking forward to info :)

Not to doubt Emily's credibility, but there's something really weird about an RPG that hasn't even been announced yet (let alone showcased in a Direct) already being localized, unless it's really light on text.

Her tweet implies that the game is practically done. This has got to be the weirdest, quietest pre-release run-up for a Nintendo game ever.

Oddduck

Not to doubt Emily's credibility, but there's something really weird about an RPG that hasn't even been announced yet (let alone showcased in a Direct) already being localized, unless it's really light on text.

Miyamoto says Pikmin 4 is almost finished and we haven't seen a single screenshot.

The_Lump

Banned

Wut? Probably just aiming for a tight Worldwide release period?? I mean it's not like WiiU can afford any more long waits. The quicker they can localize the better.

I mean I assume Nintendo have started to realise they can't only announce things which are years and years away from release.

jariw

If it's a globally released late May game for example (like MK8 and Splatoon were), it's going to be localized now. The time spans between announcement and release has been pretty short for both Pokken Tournment and TP:HD.

DNAbro

Her tweet implies that the game is practically done. This has got to be the weirdest, quietest pre-release run-up for a Nintendo game ever.

that's implying localization is a short process. They could be localizing alongside development as well.

If it's a globally released late May game for example (like MK8 and Splatoon were), it's going to be localized now. The time spans between announcement and release has been pretty short for both Pokken Tournment and TP:HD.

That's makes it even weirder. MK8 and Splatoon were both shown a year beforehand at E3. This is the first we're hearing of a Wii U Paper Mario. Also, Pokken is an arcade port and TP HD is a GameCube remaster.

This just flies in the face of how Nintendo usually handles games. Mario Tennis and AC: Amiibo Party were as rushed and hasty as they get, and even those were shown at E3 and directs beforehand.

TheMoon

Please remember that we saw Code Name STEAM for the first time fully voiced in English (voice recording started in 2013, according to Wil Wheaton) with text also done 8-9months before it came out.

jariw

That's makes it even weirder. MK8 and Splatoon were both shown a year beforehand at E3. This is the first we're hearing of a Wii U Paper Mario. Also, Pokken is an arcade port and TP HD is a GameCube remaster.

This just flies in the face of how Nintendo usually handles games. Mario Tennis and AC: Amiibo Party were as rushed and hasty as they get, and even those were shown at E3 and directs beforehand.

E3 2015 was going to be about games releasing in 2015 and early 2016. Both Iwata and Trinen said that prior to the E3 show.

RedColumn

I think that those two games were actually the only ones anounced in 2015 and launched the same year... that doesnt mean that this hypothetical Paper Mario and the maybe, for Wii U, Pikmin 4 are gonna be bad.... but I wouldnt be surprise if Pikmin 4 is just an extension of Pikmin 3, and Paper Mario doesnt improve from the GameCube one, more than the HD graphic.... (which it will be fine by me really :p, both of them are great games!)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

This is not even the first time Nintendo has done games like this, its not like the game is coming out tomorrow, a direct is basically around the corner. It just means they're going for a worldwide release if anything.
Remember that there were Paper Mario rumors since atleast 2014 or early 2015, even shikamaru was believing that there was one in development that wasent jam

Mory Dunz

If Paper Mario was announced and looked really good,

people would've cared even less about M&L: Paper Jam. Seeing how its Paper Mario mix was the main selling point.

so it makes sense to me.

I would think much later in the year than May. Announced in like February released in May would be absurd, but I think this would be fall at the earliest.

jariw

I would think much later in the year than May. Announced in like February released in May would be absurd, but I think this would be fall at the earliest.

How is that more absurd than announcing a game on November 12, 2015 and releasing it March 04, 2016?

Sterok

Mario & Sonic makes more sense for May, as that's a multiplayer game just like Kart/Splatoon. Paper Mario and #FE can go whenever to fill out the year before the NX comes out. Not like it really matters much for the games themselves or the overall Wii U situation.

I don't think this is any indication of a NX delay. Paper Mario and Pikmin 4 are perfect examples of less popular series that can be released at the very end of a console life without causing complaints that they should have been on the new platform while still satisfying most Wii U owners for the end of the year.

Mario & Sonic makes more sense for May, as that's a multiplayer game just like Kart/Splatoon. Paper Mario and #FE can go whenever to fill out the year before the NX comes out. Not like it really matters much for the games themselves or the overall Wii U situation.

I thought it was announced for August to coincide with the actual olympics.

jholmes

Because sexism.

Honestly, I'd hope this kind of shit would gradually be eradicated on gaf, but sadly not.

OT: Hype! Looking forward to info :)

I'm not saying I agree with the poster, that I prefer the language or that I share the opinion, but to say anyone who questions Emily Rogers's credibility is sexist is unfair. I have few feelings about her one way or another but she has made mistakes, and those have stuck with her reputation for a reason.

Several pages back, our own ShockingAlberto stated such. So all we can assume is that the Koopalings factor into the game in some way.
Well, I like the Koopalings a hell of a lot more than Bowser Jr. at least.

If I was a hopeful person it could be them pulling a TTYD and having sub-plots alongside Mario's main adventure where you play as Peach and then you play as Bowser and/or his kids.

RPGCrazied

I hope its true. Never got to play sticker star, but heard mixed things about it. Specially no followers, which I adored in Thousand Year Door. I hope it goes back to the formula.

Wouldn't mind an HD version too of that game.

L Thammy

I'm not saying I agree with the poster, that I prefer the language or that I share the opinion, but to say anyone who questions Emily Rogers's credibility is sexist is unfair. I have few feelings about her one way or another but she has made mistakes, and those have stuck with her reputation for a reason.

Emily is one of three people who backing this rumour, apparently from multiple unrelated sources. Even if she isn't particularly credible, she's saying the same thing as others that are.

If it's true, then NX might been released later than we think.

Please tell us about your involvement with this game

Nanashrew

Banned
Why did she kill the hype so early?

Asking why the hype was "killed" already shows why it had to be said because people would be overhyping themselves into oblivion which leads to stupidity when it's not anything they wanted. Like that Sega classic's thread where people were overhyping themselves speculating about a classic game series when it was really about the localization of the 3D classics for retail.

I do hope IS listened to the fans and make a new game in the vain of the first two.
Those are still good, they don't feel old or outdated, we don't need new wacky concepts to keep it selling.
Would be super exciting if I see party members and classic turn based style

Sterok

I thought it was announced for August to coincide with the actual olympics.

Has there been a confirmation of its release date? All I know is that the 3DS version is due in March. I originally thought Pokken would get the May date, but obviously that didn't happen. Though again, I don't think it matters too much in the big picture.

Mory Dunz

Game was prob in development for a while, I wonder why they are waiting so long to announce it.

Maybe they are gonna release a NX version

Like I mentioned before, if they announced it before 2015 E3 and it looked it good, it would take some luster off of Paper Jam: whose main selling point was "wow!! Paper Mario in M&L universe". And hurt sales.

Like, if we were getting a lot of Zelda U clips, gameplay, trailers, blowouts, etc in 2014, I think it could've negatively affected Hyrule Warriors sales imo. Those two would be different genres, but I think the point stands.

Top Bottom