• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Raitaro

Cool that we're getting a new Paper Mario, but for me the caveat is that it should play similarly to the first two games and offer a full RPG experience.

That said, I'd rather have seen a proper console Fire Emblem, Advance Wars or even a new IP (like Boxboy!) on Wii U from Intelligent Systems if I'm honest, especially now that there already is a new Paper Mario out. After the initial "new action game" rumor I was actually hoping for a new Kid Icarus by the way (an IP that Nintendo simply refuses to do more with despite it possibly being the easiest one to turn into a Zelda caliber franchise if they play their cards right).

Mory Dunz

Maybe it's an HD remake but all the original characters will be replaced by standard Mario ones

Roy is Vivian

Cool that we're getting a new Paper Mario, but for me the caveat is that it should play similarly to the first two games and offer a full RPG experience.

That said, I'd rather have seen a proper console Fire Emblem, Advance Wars or even a new IP (like Boxboy!) on Wii U from Intelligent Systems if I'm honest, especially now that there already is a new Paper Mario out. After the initial "new action game" rumor I was actually hoping for a new Kid Icarus by the way (an IP that Nintendo simply refuses to do more with despite it possibly being the easiest one to turn into a Zelda caliber franchise if they play their cards right).

what new paper mario? The one that will be ~4 years old by the time PM Wii U comes out?

and I think the action game rumor was refering specifically to a Nintendo EAD group in Kyoto.

The last 2.5 Paper Mario games have been disappointing. I hope the new one they are working on has a better story like in TTYD.

It would be a lot nicer if these people never leaked this.

Yeah it would have been more exciting to see the reveal in the February Direct. Seems like only Retro Studios has a perfect track record of keeping things under wraps. Despite GAFs best efforts to thwart them.

The last 2.5 Paper Mario games have been disappointing. I hope the new one they are working on has a better story like in TTYD.

Yeah it would have been more exciting to see the reveal in the February Direct. Seems like only Retro Studios has a perfect track record of keeping things under wraps. Despite GAFs best efforts to thwart them.

2.5?
Isn't their only 4 paper Mario games?

2.5?
Isn't their only 4 paper Mario games?

CTR_MarioLuigi_PaperJamBros_PS_UKV-656x600.png

Mory Dunz

I think Paper Mario is an interesting case.

The leak doesn't mean that much. Aside from confirming the next PM will be a Wii U game.

The series is an unpredictable state, and we know nothing about PM U.

Seeing it revealed in a Direct will still have the same effect for me if the trailer shows that it's a traditional rpg again.

butalala

I'm very glad it leaked. Nintendo News Land has been very boring lately, so it's nice to have something to shake things up.

The leakers didn't reveal anything about the game itself, so that's still the exciting thing to look forward to.

I think Paper Mario is an interesting case.

The leak doesn't mean that much. Aside from confirming the next PM will be a Wii U game.

The series is an unpredictable state, and we know nothing about PM U.

Seeing it revealed in a Direct will still have the same effect for me if the trailer shows that it's a traditional rpg again.

What if its Sticker Star 2.0? Or a RPG but with generic NSMB characters and locations, so Paper Jam 2.0?

If that happens, thats the final example (as if we need any more evidence) that Nintendo just absolutely not care about their fans.

Mory Dunz

What if its Sticker Star 2.0? Or a RPG but with generic NSMB characters and locations, so Paper Jam 2.0?

If that happens, thats the final example (as if we need any more evidence) that Nintendo just absolutely not care about their fans.

yeah, that kinda adds to my point.

It was "leaked" but we don't know jack about the game. And tbh I don't have much hope.
So if it does turn out to look good, it'll be like a reveal all over again.

also

Banned
There was a Miiverse interview with the Paper Jam team and they also talked about the story and characters.

MariChan: Both the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series are known for their high-quality storylines, so did this aspect also turn out to be tricky to handle?

Kobayashi: ...It did. We were thinking, since the paper characters were coming all the way from the paper world, let's make the main story something really bizarre, crammed with red herrings and misapprehensions. We had things like going back and forth to the paper world, and the Mushroom Kingdom turning gradually into paper... But we overdid it a bit, and the first draft of the plot ended up being a complete muddle that wouldn't resonate with anyone... So we simplified the script and structured it with greater emphasis on showing the different characters meeting and interacting with each other. We had to do a lot of re-writes...

MariChan: That reminds me: In the Mario & Luigi games, there are usually lots of interesting characters who don't appear in other Mario games, but this time it seemed to be mostly main-line characters. Was this also something to do with it being a crossover?

Otani: Oh no, nothing to do with that! This time, since we had so many paper characters and doubles of the same character together, we had to prioritize moving the story forward and communicating the contrast between them. It would have been really difficult to put in original characters and work out when would be the best time for them to appear.

GAF thread
Miiverse interview (click ''View oldest comments'' below the first post)

Hope +1
Crow leftovers +1

TreIII

The only problem I have with those statements is...even with the supposed focus on main characters, they still made sure we had to deal with Starlow. Again. Even Kersti would've been a change of pace, if they absolutely needed an exposition fairy.

Ah, well. Hopefully, it's a sign that there's no rule (spoken or unspoken) about the need to stick with mainline chars for either IntSys or Alphadream, going forward.

Joqu

There was a Miiverse interview with the Paper Jam team and they also talked about the story and characters.

GAF thread
Miiverse interview (click ''View oldest comments'' below the first post)

Hope +1
Crow leftovers +1

:)

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much from those statements because that still doesn't tell us anything about this game but like I said in that thread I can't help feeling a bit more positive because of it. At the very least I'm glad to know I was right for thinking not too base too much on Paper Jam's direction when it comes to this game.

Another thing I thought was interesting although again nothing to look too much into is the first question you quoted itself.

"Both the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series are known for their high-quality storylines, so did this aspect also turn out to be tricky to handle?"

At least they're acknowledging that much. Because that's not how I'd describe Sticker Star's storyline.

Neiteio

I haven't been following this thread. But I see people talking about "Koopa Kids."

1) Do you mean the seven "Koopalings?" Or do you mean the trio from Mario Party?

2) Where is this information coming from? Is this another part of the leak?

All I know is a Paper Mario is allegedly in development for WiiU. If someone can bring me up to speed with any additional details, I'd be ever so thankful!

Mariolee

I haven't been following this thread. But I see people talking about "Koopa Kids."

1) Do you mean the seven "Koopalings?" Or do you mean the trio from Mario Party?

2) Where is this information coming from? Is this another part of the leak?

All I know is a Paper Mario is allegedly in development for WiiU. If someone can bring me up to speed with any additional details, I'd be ever so thankful!

Pretty sure ShockingAlberto (who is incredibly reliable) said his sources mentioned the Koopalings.

Neiteio

Pretty sure ShockingAlberto (who is incredibly reliable) said his sources mentioned the Koopalings.
Hopefully that's accurate. I love the Koopalings. Makes sense after their star turns in MK8 and Smash. Also ripe with comic potential.

Now I'm thinking how cool it'd be if they became party members, but I'll keep my expectations in check.

Volotaire

The discussion on the Koopalings reminds me of how they were characterised in the Super Mario Bros. cartoon. It could be executed well in a Paper Mario game.

SalvaPot

Honestly, Koopalings with Dialogue in a Paper Mario game sounds brilliant.

Also I recommend the Paper Mario fans who don't play the Mario & Luigi series to give Paper Jam a chance, I really enjoy at the paper attacks are really creative. For example, there is this Paper Spiny enemies that stack and shoot each other through the air, and Paper Mario himself has an ability to make copies of itself and do crazy stuff with it.

TreIII

Hopefully that's accurate. I love the Koopalings. Makes sense after their star turns in MK8 and Smash. Also ripe with comic potential.

Now I'm thinking how cool it'd be if they became party members, but I'll keep my expectations in check.

Yeah, some of us were saying just that a few pages ago. Imagine if it was Larry in the "Tattle" role that Goombario/Goombella occupied so long ago, and so forth down the line. (Or if Jr. was in, too, then he'd likely be the Tattler and Larry could be "Kooper".)

Having the 'Lings as party members would also be a good sign that Bowser wouldn't necessarily be the big bad, again. After all, you can only think of so many reasons why they would willingly join Mario, in such a case.

also

Banned
Another thing I thought was interesting although again nothing to look too much into is the first question you quoted itself.

"Both the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series are known for their high-quality storylines, so did this aspect also turn out to be tricky to handle?"

At least they're acknowledging that much. Because that's not how I'd describe Sticker Star's storyline.
I'll be honest, the first thing that popped into my head after reading that bit was: ''Hmm, should this really be in present tense?''

I'm hearing that the Koopalings may be involved?

As cool as that may be, that sounds like it may be another safe entry, as the recent M&L games, and SS. As in, based in the Mushroom Kingdom, generic-themed locations, etc. Don't think we'll ever see a TTYD-esque game again.

Eh, as nice as TTDY's story was, I'd actually be interested in seeing The Koopalings in Paper Mario. I think there's potential for a lot of funny dialogue from them.

Eh, as nice as TTDY's story was, I'd actually be interested in seeing The Koopalings in Paper Mario. I think there's potential for a lot of funny dialogue from them.

Maybe, but I don't really want them in a Paper Mario game immediately after they were one of the biggest additions to the cast of a M&L game.

Both series are better off when they're making new characters rather than repurposing Mushroom kingdom residents.

El Odio

Banned
The Koopalings were pretty subpar in Partners in Time imo.
You mean SSS? That's pretty much because they didn't have a single shred of dialogue iirc. Come to think of it cartoon aside have they ever spoken before? This is basically the first chance to officially flesh out their personalities but all I'm expecting is them to be silent and the boss of every chapter akin to the NSMB games.

TreIII

Maybe, but I don't really want them in a Paper Mario game immediately after they were one of the biggest additions to the cast of a M&L game.

Both series are better off when they're making new characters rather than repurposing Mushroom kingdom residents.

I dunno. As I and others discussed earlier in this topic, I think the whole side-gag in Paper Jam referring to
Roy asking where their Paper Koopaling selves where while everybody else's was fooling around in the M&L-verse
was more than just a throw away gag. It's more likely IntSys already had their plans in stone, and Alphadream's game just ended up being first out the door.

Besides, there's nothing that says that they can't have the Koopalings in a RPG and not still have some OCs in the mix, too. In fact, if the theory that "Koopalings are Mario's partners" ends up being true, I'd be willing to count on the notion that some type of OCs would still be involved in some way.

You mean SSS? That's pretty much because they didn't have a single shred of dialogue iirc. Come to think of it cartoon aside have they ever spoken before? This is basically the first chance to officially flesh out their personalities but all I'm expecting is them to be silent and the boss of every chapter akin to the NSMB games.

...They just did in Paper Jam.

NoKisum

Can any of these sources confirm how much story there is in the game? If it's as much as Sticker Star, then I'm jumping ship now.

I have a feeling all the traditional Mario enemies are going to be enemies only like they are in Super and Sticker Star, which is lame. Toads only.

El Odio

Banned
I dunno. As I and others discussed earlier in this topic, I think the whole side-gag in Paper Jam referring to
Roy asking where their Paper Koopaling selves where while everybody else's was fooling around in the M&L-verse
was more than just a throw away gag. It's more likely IntSys already had their plans in stone, and Alphadream's game just ended up being first out the door.

Besides, there's nothing that says that they can't have the Koopalings in a RPG and not still have some OCs in the mix, too. In fact, if the theory that "Koopalings are Mario's partners" ends up being true, I'd be willing to count on the notion that some type of OCs would still be involved in some way.

...They just did in Paper Jam.
Paper jams been off my radar completely since E3 so I had no clue they were even in, i thought it was just bowser. Completely dispels my fears for the time being then.

Top Bottom