• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enderal (Skyrim Mod) launch trailer

This looks amazing! The launch trailer was very impressive. I haven't played a good total conversion in ages. I'm really excited to try this out. Incredibly well done for an independent team, and for free no less.

Curious: will this work with Skyrim: Special Edition? If not, how will the PC users manage to have both Skyrims installed? Is there a separate launcher for the TC that just references the required files?

Woorloog

Banned
There seem to be claims (by Bethesda) that mods will work right away.
But on Enderal forum, someone noted that this won't be as simple: For example, any mod that tweaks lighting will need to be tweaking for SE due to its graphical changes. Perhaps the mod will work out of box, but it will also be pretty conflicting. And if SE adds additional ground clutter or such mostly visual stuff, it may be in way for existing mods and again, those need to be tweaked to avoid conflicts.

So, i highly doubt Enderal will be released anytime soon on consoles once Skyrim SE launches, given the team's dedication to quality, i expect they will want to do extensive testing before releasing the mod for Skyrim SE, consoles or PC.

This looks amazing, I literally JUST spent the last two days starting from scratch and downloading a f-ton of mods so I'll have to get my play time out of those first as this seems like it'll conflict with quite alot

diaspora

So, would the ps4 release of skyrim be able to handle a mod of this magnitude??

200_s.gif

teiresias

Looks epic. I loved Nehrim even though i never got more than a few hours into Oblivion proper.

Granted, Nehrim did have some performance issues but it was a great experience.

This looks great, there story seems interesting, and they airship is straight out of Final Fantasy VI.

I wonder if this is compatible with generic graphic mods like texture replacements, water replacements, and ENBs. Obviously mods specific to the Skyrim game world won't be (thinking mods like Enhanced Lighting and Effects or Audio Overhaul). Granted, they may not be necessary as Nehrim was more interesting visually than vanilla Oblivion anyway, though I guess it used the vanilla texture sets.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
These guys are insane. This looks really good, can't wait to try it out. That third video showing the forest gives me mad Risen vibes.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder if this is compatible with generic graphic mods like texture replacements, water replacements, and ENBs. Obviously mods specific to the Skyrim game world won't be (thinking mods like Enhanced Lighting and Effects or Audio Overhaul). Granted, they may not be necessary as Nehrim was more interesting visually than vanilla Oblivion anyway, though I guess it used the vanilla texture sets.

Well, Nehrim seems to be using a lot of custom assets. So any Skyrim texture pack won't affect those. I would work under assumption that no, those packs won't work without tweaks. Not to mention practically all Skyrim mods are dependent upon Skyrim.esm, if Enderal works like Nehrim, it won't be using Skyrim.esm at all... This last one is a question mark at the moment though.

ENBs are directly addressed in Enderal forums: They work but Skyrim presets won't look good on Enderal (gotta create Enderal specific ones), for the game uses lighting differently from base Skyrim.

RedSwirl

So how would this work if you already have modded-as-fuck Skyrim installed? Would it just be a whole separate executable?

Woorloog

Banned
So how would this work if you already have modded-as-fuck Skyrim installed? Would it just be a whole separate executable?

Nehrim created modified Oblivion installation that existed separate from Oblivion (you could have both installed at once). Didn't have a separate executable per se, just loaded the game without Oblivion assets and with modified UI.
If Enderal works like that, your Skyrim installation is probably safe.

In any case, what you cannot do is to have Dovakhiin in Enderal or Enderal character in Skyrim.

teiresias

Well, Nehrim seems to be using a lot of custom assets. So any Skyrim texture pack won't affect those. I would work under assumption that no, those packs won't work without tweaks. Not to mention practically all Skyrim mods are dependent upon Skyrim.esm, if Enderal works like Nehrim, it won't be using Skyrim.esm at all... This last one is a question mark at the moment though.

ENBs are directly addressed in Enderal forums: They work but Skyrim presets won't look good on Enderal (gotta create Enderal specific ones), for the game uses lighting differently from base Skyrim.

Yeah, I will likely just play it vanilla to better see how the creators made their world. Nehrim really seemed to push the engine anyway and wasnt particularly optimized so performance in Enderal may be an issue even without any kind of mods attempted.

The English release will have English VA? I rather liked the German(?) voice acting of Nehrim with subs, so I kind of hope the German release has English subs and UI available.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, I will likely just play it vanilla to better see how the creators made their world. Nehrim really seemed to push the engine anyway and wasnt particularly optimized so performance in Enderal may be an issue even without any kind of mods attempted.

The English release will have English VA? I rather liked the German(?) voice acting of Nehrim with subs, so I kind of hope the German release has English subs and UI available.

Per Enderal forums, English subs (and presumably UI) will be available with English release. They won't have them ready by the German release.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I dont understand these mods. Huge respect for them, but how can someone be arsed to make these? That is some dedication.

Just reminds me that im a useless waste of space :(

Unai

I would like to know that as well if anyone knows the answer.

Dennis

Banned
Does the German version have English subtitles as an option?

Any idea when we should expect the English version?

Trace

Banned
God I've been following this for years. Installed Nehrim yesterday to give it another go before Enderal comes out. SureAI are better developers than 80% of the game industry and I say that completely seriously. They make some magical stuff.

SO CLOSE!

I would like to know that as well if anyone knows the answer.

Yes they have English VAs this time.

Keasar

Does the German version have English subtitles as an option?

Any idea when we should expect the English version?

Dunno but can always hope, Enderal is the first time they do a full English version of the game with English voice acting as well, Nehrim had German voice acting with English texts. So with a little luck perhaps?

The English version is to come out at the end of July, no specific date.

Zojirushi

Just learned about this. Guess I'm going back to Skyrim, so weird.

Do I need to have the main game installed for this or is this completely separate .exe and everything?

Trace

Banned
Wow, awesome. I really hope they get acknowledged by Bethesda, maybe even offered jobs there.

This isn't their first time at this though. They've made total conversions for Oblivion, Morrowind (Twice), and a lengthy mod for Fallout 3. If Bethesda wanted to hire them they've had plenty of chances in the past.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I dont understand these mods. Huge respect for them, but how can someone be arsed to make these? That is some dedication.

Just reminds me that im a useless waste of space :(

You're not a useless waste of space though. Players give guys like these purpose, if no one was around to admire their work and have fun with it, what would be the point? :D

Wow, awesome. I really hope they get acknowledged by Bethesda, maybe even offered jobs there.

I don't, from what I could tell people seemed to enjoy Nehrim more than vanilla Oblivion, both gameplay and plot-wise. No reason for them to work with Bethesda either since they have the combined skill of a development studio as it is.

Elven_Star

Hopefully, it'll work on consoles too. Bethesda's policies might change for the Special Edition. I don't care how big the download size will be, I'll get it.

Keasar

Updated the first post with some extra videos like a English story introduction and a older English trailer from 2014 that hopefully gives a taste how the voice acting will be in the English version.

DMiz

Off-topic, but related - is Nehrim still a very worthwhile experience in 2016? I've heard so much about it but never got around to playing it. I'm assuming it requires a Vanilla install, as well?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Updated the first post with some extra videos like a English story introduction and a older English trailer from 2014 that hopefully gives a taste how the voice acting will be in the English version.

The music in that trailer is absolutely fantastic, whoever is composing this is great.

VA is acceptable, which to be honest is more than I expected from a free mod.

Corpekata

Banned
Not really feeling that English VA, I might end up just playing the German release provided it's released with English text unless they show off some more examples of the English VA.

Keasar

Off-topic, but related - is Nehrim still a very worthwhile experience in 2016? I've heard so much about it but never got around to playing it. I'm assuming it requires a Vanilla install, as well?

If you got vanilla Oblivion I'd say it doesn't hurt to give the mod a shot. It plays more like a classic RPG with an XP system rather than Oblivion's Skill based one. There is a fairly in-depth review of Nehrim on Reddit that you can glance through and see if you wanna spend some time on it.

Xiao Hu

I haven't played their previous mod, yet looking at this one it makes me question if me being against paid mods is a reasonable stance to have, seeing as a lot of time was spent working on this mod and others like Skywind etc.

I probably will check this one out when the English version is available.

Because the cut is for the modders would be shit. Look at the fiasco with paid mods on Steam recently: only 1/3 of the proceeds for the modder and the rest is split between the ip holder and Valve? That is utterly ridiculous!

People have too much time on their hand. The trailer seems quite professional, kind of decent voice acting. Is this the same group making these total conversions or more a loosely organized community? Wonder why they don't start up their own company.

Lack of funds I assume and no one to back them. No other big publisher tried to mimic a TES alike game which is really sad since TES has been quality wise on a decline for me, there has to be an alternative when Bethesda shits the bed with future TESs (F4, as solid game it was, gives me a negative prospect of what is about to come with TES VI; more mainstreaming and less polish ahead!).

danthefan

Are the system requirements much heavier than the base game?

And... is it free? Seems like a massive amount of work. I think I'll give it a try.

Top Bottom