• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Equifax Data Breach could affect 143 million customers

Darg

Neo Member
Because they are going to enroll you anyway so for the people that are really not part of the breach, it gets them off their back. For the others, they are going to sign you up anyway so why make potential harmful statements? If it told you to come back you were probably part of the breach in some way.

This is true but they could of done a better job informing the person. All this is doing is making tons of people confused and thus trying to seek out an answer to their question. A simple You're affected and now were are going to enroll you would of been enough.

Tron 2.0

I'm still not clear.

I went to the site, entered my info, and all I was given was a date.

Does this mean my information was affected or unaffected?

slit

This is true but they could of done a better job informing the person. All this is doing is making tons of people confused and thus trying to seek out an answer to their question.

Oh I agree, it's a shitty way to handle this but that's corporate capitalism for you.

I'm still not clear.

I went to the site, entered my info, and all I was given was a date.

Does this mean my information was affected or unaffected?

If you just got the date then you were probably affected in some way.

So somebody has access to my SSN and other identifying info now. Fuck. Fuck credit scores. Having to play money games just to achieve my excellent credit score to maybe get approved for a consolidation loan for my student loans that would end up reducing my interest rates and saving me money and still getting declined without a consigned despite my never missing or having a late payment with LARGER monthly payments just proves to me how bullshit the whole scoring system is. And now we have credit score companies compromising the personal information of hundreds of millions of people and opening them all up to identity theft?!? Fuck this system and fuck the people who run it for their own benefit.

Yes, their site says some Canadian customers were also affected.

Thanks. I got a date from that trusted premier thing.

Christ, just when my life started to look positive. The sad part is that even if I wasn't an Equifax customer, I could've been affected by this nonsense.

plB7NnK.gif

sqwarlock

Just put a fraud alert on my credit for 90 days at all three agencies. It's not as safe as freezing them, but it gives me a little more piece of mind.

Jesus fuck. There needs to be charges of criminal neglect for not properly securing personal information like this. People's LIVES will be ruined because equifax couldn't be arsed to do proper IT security.

Jesus fuck. There needs to be charges of criminal neglect for not properly securing personal information like this. People's LIVES will be ruined because equifax couldn't be arsed to do proper IT security.

My main question here is that, even if you're not an Equifax consumer, you're data could be leaked but none of the other 2 firms were notified of major fraud alerts?

Zutroy

So if this effects like 60% of the US, and a good amount of those 40% unaffected were under 18, it probably means that most US adults were affected by this.

Disclaimer: this makes sense in my head but possible not written out above

slit

My main question here is that, even if you're not an Equifax consumer, you're data could be leaked but none of the other 2 firms were notified of major fraud alerts?

If you put a fraud alert in with one of the major agencies they have to by law inform the other two. Some will put a fraud alert into all three just to be safe.

Wagram

I imagine they're going to have to provide monitoring for most people affected. If not, someone is going to sue the unholy shit out of them.

SDCowboy

Based of the wording on the webpage, you would have gotten a message saying you are affected otherwise you got a message about optionally signing up for the credit monitoring.

So if I just got the message with a date to sign up for their service, I should be in the clear?

a916

Can we get rid of the social security number as a verifier now? Shit is unfathomably dumb.

It's complete and utter nonsense... there's not even a damn photo ID attached to the stupid thing. That shit is more powerful than a passport and passports are much harder to attain.

Top Bottom