• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold:The Fafnir Knight |OT| What a horrible Knight to have a curse

ohlawd

I honestly had no idea he used any element but fire. Never saw anything else.
He summoned a helper, I killed it, he summon his head, I ignored it. He summoned 2 more helpers and then he died.

I don't know a thing about the other classes in EO2U but your DPS must be crazy high. higher than the story mode classes :x

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I don't know a thing about the other classes in EO2U but your DPS must be crazy high. higher than the story mode classes :x
I'm using the story party with 1 exception in that I changed Chloe into a dark hunter because its my favorite class. So having ecstasy hitting for ~2k/turn would give me more damage I suppose.

Other than that I have MC do mind break -> delayed chase -> force powers, accelerate, etc
arianna buffs everyone with attack up and then has maxed out link elemental damage
flavio just does sagittarius -> multi -> multi -> repeat
trand never attacks ever

ohlawd

I'm using the story party with 1 exception in that I changed Chloe into a dark hunter because its my favorite class. So having ecstasy hitting for ~2k/turn would give me more damage I suppose.

Other than that I have MC do mind break -> delayed chase -> force powers, accelerate, etc
arianna buffs everyone with attack up and then has maxed out link elemental damage
trand never attacks ever

aww shit I miss that Dark Hunter. Ecstacy is still as sexy as ever? damn <3

trand never attacks ever

Does Sagittarius reliably stun that boss? I've just reached him and haven't been using/invested in that skill all that much. I almost had him but got unlucky when Trand got fear'd and Chloe got head bound the turn before the core opened.

slayn

Does Sagittarius reliably stun that boss? I've just reached him and haven't been using/invested in that skill all that much. I almost had him but got unlucky when Trand got fear'd and Chloe got head bound the turn before the core opened.
It doesn't reliably stun anything. I just use it for damage. The nice thing is that it lets you weave in an extra attack while force boosted. So like you saggitarius -> force boost -> multi shot while boosted.

When the saggitarius shot lands during your force boost you get double activation of the free attack.

ohlawd

Geez ohlawd, I got this game earlier than you but I'm still at F23.
meh, I was reliant on resting every time for a boss which is totally lame :/

iunno what to do now. I wanna do a total revamp of this party by switching all their classes for postgame but the classes I wanna use I also want to save for a classic mode run

Sabas

Banned
Been alternating between the first EOU and this. First time playing the EO games and having a blast with story mode.

Any advice on skills for the Survivalist and Sovereign classes? Wasn't clear on how to best use Arianna until I got Link Order and then she became infinitely more useful in battles.

Hyoukokun

Been alternating between the first EOU and this. First time playing the EO games and having a blast with story mode.

Any advice on skills for the Survivalist and Sovereign classes? Wasn't clear on how to best use Arianna until I got Link Order and then she became infinitely more useful in battles.

Get Order Mastery up high (particularly with a good grimoire stone) and Sovereign becomes a pretty solid secondary healer. I feel like Prevent Order is damned near a necessity for enemies that like dealing status ailments. As you've noted Link Order is helpful too. Since they have relatively good tech and lots of TP I've found it's easy to add a direct elemental-damage dealing skill via grimoires.

I don't think the Survivalist class is as good / flexible, but I've got Flavio dealing status ailments (put a bunch of points into paralysis shots) and flank + drop shot are good for taking out back-row enemies. The status ailment dealing effects have synergy with War Edge skills, assuming you've kept Chloe as a War Magus.

vall03

Just finished Story mode and I really liked what I have played compared to EO1U. That last floor in Ginunggagap is so frustrating as well that I decided to just put the game on Picnic, and even that was still annoying. I'm now starting on Classic mode and now stuck with what party to use. Thinking of going Sovereign/Highlander/Ronin/Gunner/Protector, I can swap my Ronin though, but I'm a bit conflicted since my other backups to possibly replace the Ronin would either be Dark Hunter or Hexer. But I might end up with a squishy party and have issues with healing.

Now I feel kind of bad. Made it to the 11th floor, found the little root guy and murdered him, then proceeded to use his "meat" to farm out grimoires since I was tired of only getting rank 5 and lower, plus I was planning on retiring my party anyway. Needless to say, they are level 55 now, I have a bunch of level 10 grimoires and they just finished punching one of the floor 12 foes to death. Just seeing all of those grimoires makes me feel like I broke the game a bit, though after retiring it should be alright.

Edit: 2 things of note:
1) I am now loving my riot palm alchemist, even if he isn't overly effective due to the massive tp cost of riot formula. The palms do balance that out nicely though.

2) On GameFAQs I've seen people talking about point blank burst shot gunners being the best damage dealers. Does anyone know what that is about?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
God this game is so good. Just entered 3rd stratum. That 2nd stratum boss ended on such a tight margin, amazing. Finished the last turn having to use all my force breaks, he was charged with his little buddies, it was me or him.

KarmaCow

The third stratum, or rather than boss fights there ruined me. The Frog DLC helped me so much with the Scylla fight because of the Lick grimoire, I don't know if I could have reasonably done it without getting it.

slayn

Finally beat the story boss on expert at level ~60. That was quite painful. Took me about 15 attempts to find the right sequence to alpha strike him down in the first cycle because my party has like 0 sustainability.

And god damn it atlus when you have a difficult boss don't put unskippable cutscenes right before it.

spiritfox

Just finished Story mode and I really liked what I have played compared to EO1U. That last floor in Ginunggagap is so frustrating as well that I decided to just put the game on Picnic, and even that was still annoying. I'm now starting on Classic mode and now stuck with what party to use. Thinking of going Sovereign/Highlander/Ronin/Gunner/Protector, I can swap my Ronin though, but I'm a bit conflicted since my other backups to possibly replace the Ronin would either be Dark Hunter or Hexer. But I might end up with a squishy party and have issues with healing.

I was thinkng of going with that party before settling on my current one. Very damage focused, with good Link capability. Gunner can also provide decent binds and Protector covers most of the squishiness of that party. Sovereign's healing should cover most of what Turning Tide cannot, but you lack innate revive without grimoires.

Oh, and early game might be hard because both Hi and R takes levels to get to their full power.

kagamin

Basically my party, except Medic instead of Ronin cause I need Fight AND Heal.

vall03

I was thinkng of going with that party before settling on my current one. Very damage focused, with good Link capability. Gunner can also provide decent binds and Protector covers most of the squishiness of that party. Sovereign's healing should cover most of what Turning Tide cannot, but you lack innate revive without grimoires.

Oh, and early game might be hard because both Hi and R takes levels to get to their full power.

Oh! So my idea was already a good party set-up! It actually looked good on paper but was worried if they will play really well. Guess I'll continue with my original party set-up for Classic.

Anyway, a bit of spoilers since I just checked the EO1U/EO2U artbook.
There was a teaser of Olympia finding the Fafnir washed up on shore. Wonder how they will continue the story considering the Yggdrasil in EO3 is an alien being and not a tree from the Yggdrasil Project, unless I missed something.

Oh! So my idea was already a good party set-up! It actually looked good on paper but was worried if they will play really well. Guess I'll continue with my original party set-up for Classic.

I run something kind of similar with Hi/So/DH G/H and I've been doing fine. Most battle require me to use protect order and explore with the hp recovery coffee, so it is a little slow early on in my case, but quite doable. I've found with Monarch March 10 I can mostly ignore in battle healing since things just die.

Althane

There was a teaser of Olympia finding the Fafnir washed up on shore. Wonder how they will continue the story considering the Yggdrasil in EO3 is an alien being and not a tree from the Yggdrasil Project, unless I missed something.

Couldn't it be a colliding storyline? I mean, stuff like that does happen. "Hey, we're fixing stuff up over here in the world, unbeknownst to us there's a war between alien beings going on on the other side"

I don't see an EO4U showing up, at least any time soon, but I'm hoping that they're getting ideas for EO5 at least.

Also, LOVING the map upgrades in EO2U. I've just played the demo (downloaded the full game, but I'm pushing on EO1U to finish the story mode there), but I like that treasure chests open, shortcuts glow, and material points go dark when they're not ready.

Hyoukokun

In response to that spoiler:
I don't think the tree itself was alien, just the old/deep ones that they were fighting.

I'm halfway through Stratum 3 now. Expecting some seriously devilish ice-block-pushing puzzles now that they've introduced that mechanic.

EO3U is something I definitely bet on being made for the 3DS at some point, probably closer to the very end of its life.
We'll probably get EO5 sometime in 2016, so maybe EO3U announced end of 2016, early 2017?

EO2U story spoilers:
Bertrand mentions he took his sick sister somewhere else so she could be safe. She'd be very old by now, but we might see her in the third Untold game (Armoroad's Senator Flowdia anyone?)

spiritfox

In response to that spoiler:
I don't think the tree itself was alien, just the old/deep ones that they were fighting.

I'm halfway through Stratum 3 now. Expecting some seriously devilish ice-block-pushing puzzles now that they've introduced that mechanic.

Nope, I definitely remember the tree itself being from space. It was the second meteoroid that followed the first, which was the Abyssal God.

Or maybe I'm getting my headcanon mixed up with the actual story...

Hyoukokun

Nope, I definitely remember the tree itself being from space. It was the second meteoroid that followed the first, which was the Abyssal God.

Or maybe I'm getting my headcanon mixed up with the actual story...

I'm not sure myself. I checked the Wiki page but it's kind of sparsely populated.
I could see them retconning this if it originally was supposed to be alien, because there were mentions in EOU that there were seven different Yggdrasils part of the project. Four of those are directly accounted for (one destroyed by a Gungnir system in the backstory, one for Etria, one for High Lagaard, and one for the area around Tharsis). It would seem weird and unnecessary to introduce an eighth tree that differs from the other seven but functions in effectively the same way.

Alternatively, I could see them working that into the backstory. Maybe the other 6 Yggdrasils are man-made clones and the EO3 tree is the original?

I'm overthinking this.

spiritfox

I'm not sure myself. I checked the Wiki page but it's kind of sparsely populated.
I could see them retconning this if it originally was supposed to be alien, because there were mentions in EOU that there were seven different Yggdrasils part of the project. Four of those are directly accounted for (one destroyed by a Gungnir system in the backstory, one for Etria, one for High Lagaard, and one for the area around Tharsis). It would seem weird and unnecessary to introduce an eighth tree that differs from the other seven but functions in effectively the same way.

Alternatively, I could see them working that into the backstory. Maybe the other 6 Yggdrasils are man-made clones and the EO3 tree is the original?

I'm overthinking this.

Ugh, I don't particularly like the canon making all the games part of the same world. It limits where the stories can go. Hopefully it's only the EOU universe and EO5 does not tie in to that canon.

Hyoukokun

Ugh, I don't particularly like the canon making all the games part of the same world. It limits where the stories can go. Hopefully it's only the EOU universe and EO5 does not tie in to that canon.
I'd always assumed that at the least the first and second games were in the same world, because of the password carry-over feature. I vaguely feel like I remember a small reference to Etria in EO3 or EO4 somewhere, but they definitely left it a lot more ambiguous there.

There are definitely some narrative advantages to being set in an FF-style loosely-coupled universe. Given that
fairly advanced technology exists and is still in use
in the Etrian world, I don't think they are too limited if the games are set in the same world, though;
they can always take things to a different planet in the future if they want to, it wouldn't see terribly unbelievable.

aett

I'm only on the 5th floor but I've got a question about advertising. Sometimes when I go to start a new ad campaign, I can't choose from all the areas that I had previously unlocked in a section of town. What's up with that?

Finished story mode. Not sure if I should continue through the 6th stratum with the story mode party or NG+ into classic.

I'm overthinking this.

Well if I'm remembering correctly, those documents in EO4's 6th stratum said something about them having made the Yggdrasil Tree/system as some sort of environment purification thing. If the EO3 tree were alien and was messing shit up in the pre-apocalypse I could see how the people would have tried to adapt the alien tree...magic...tech...stuff into their own system to fight back.

I'm actually rather glad the games are all part of the same world. Trying to connect the dots on the history of the world prior to the games is pretty interesting. Although I think the Untold games get too explicit with their exposition and lore dumps in a way that is detrimental to the world building the rest of the series had done.

Nachos

Spoilers for that part and the late-game for EO2U's story mode:
I don't know if you got the Bookwalker digital version, but for some reason, there's an entire comic in the artbook that's largely missing in that, the last page of which being the image of Olympia looking over Fafnir. I don't know what's going on, but it seems Olympia is trying to do something, which actually prompts Bertrand to activate his Fafnir transformation.

EO3U is something I definitely bet on being made for the 3DS at some point, probably closer to the very end of its life.
We'll probably get EO5 sometime in 2016, so maybe EO3U announced end of 2016, early 2017?

EO2U story spoilers:
Bertrand mentions he took his sick sister somewhere else so she could be safe. She'd be very old by now, but we might see her in the third Untold game (Armoroad's Senator Flowdia anyone?)
About that spoiler:
Well, there's already concept art of her when she was younger, so it wouldn't be the hardest thing to do.

And I don't know if we'll get an EO3U anytime soon. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I get the feeling V will be the last 3DS entry, because the NX will be out already by that point.

ChrisD

Ya'll are speedy, I'm taking my sweet time here I guess.

I've actually been playing a good amount and I'm still on F2 lol. Grinding to have multiple members, trying to make really nice maps, and just generally getting the best Equips for everyone at the time.

After a ton of tries and a bit of leveling, I finally beat Scylla. I'm so happy I mnaanged to find a prevent order grimoire in trade (I never got order mastery high enough on Arianna to learn it) for Chloe because without using that to stop lullaby, I have no idea how I could win that fight

KarmaCow

After a ton of tries and a bit of leveling, I finally beat Scylla. I'm so happy I mnaanged to find a prevent order grimoire in trade (I never got order mastery high enough on Arianna to learn it) for Chloe because without using that to stop lullaby, I have no idea how I could win that fight

There is some food that has sleep resist on it. It's riskier but it worked 90% of the time and freed up a slot for better buffs.

So, EOU1 was the first EO game I played, and I really enjoy it. I'd like to pick this one up at some point, but I have no room for it right now. Are there any big differences between EOU1 and 2, besides classes and stuff, or are they pretty much the same deal?

Nachos

So, EOU1 was the first EO game I played, and I really enjoy it. I'd like to pick this one up at some point, but I have no room for it right now. Are there any big differences between EOU1 and 2, besides classes and stuff, or are they pretty much the same deal?
Not really. Aside from the new classes, monsters, dungeons, and mini-games, it's largely the same game, just with a lot of small refinements. They all add up, but I could see someone running the risk of burning them out on the series of they just marathon game after game.

spiritfox

Oh man Juggernaut was the toughest boss since the early levels with Chimera. So much HP and attack. One of his AoE moves pretty much OHKOed my back row together with his def down debuff.

I only managed to land 1 bomb on him. Is it possible to land more? I wonder if you can kill him with just bombs.

slayn

Oh man Juggernaut was the toughest boss since the early levels with Chimera. So much HP and attack. One of his AoE moves pretty much OHKOed my back row together with his def down debuff.

I only managed to land 1 bomb on him. Is it possible to land more? I wonder if you can kill him with just bombs.

you can land 3 bombs I think. Each one does a chunk of life and slows him down. But after 3 bombs he stops moving and bombs stop spawning. But this also means you get guaranteed back attack for a free round.

kagamin

Well after much struggling, I beat the Flame Demon or whatever, not dealing upwards of 1000 damage per attacking round makes me feel weak for some reason.

Been digging in to this, moving along nicely until
Scylla
ran over me like a freight train. Definitely benefited from a respec on a couple of characters along with the usual eating/equip against binds, etc.

It has been noted before, but I continue to really like story mode here, with increasingly appealing characters and va. That along with the much improved grimoire system is among the reasons EO2U is a new personal favorite in the series whereas EOU fell flat.

Every single female character in this game is extremely hateable, is this really what anime people like now?

I feel obligated to play Story Mode to get the most out of this (having already played original EO2), but it's so far a much more painful experience than EO1U.

Anyway, I was actually hesitant to pick this up, I've been in a something of a gaming rut and the $10 premium wasn't doing me any favors. But I made a hasty decision as I was paying for the retro Amiibo preorder last week. I'm glad I did! Etrian Odyssey is probably my favorite modern RPG series and as soon I was drawing my first map, it took me out of my rut (well, at least for this one game). I'm about to fight the first major boss.

Are any of the cheater DLC super worth the $2? The rare item or Grimoire ones sound really tempting, if any of them do.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Every single female character in this game is extremely hateable, is this really what anime people like now?

I feel obligated to play Story Mode to get the most out of this (having already played original EO2), but it's so far a much more painful experience than EO1U.

Anyway, I was actually hesitant to pick this up, I've been in a something of a gaming rut and the $10 premium wasn't doing me any favors. But I made a hasty decision as I was paying for the retro Amiibo preorder last week. I'm glad I did! Etrian Odyssey is probably my favorite modern RPG series and as soon I was drawing my first map, it took me out of my rut (well, at least for this one game). I'm about to fight the first major boss.

Are any of the cheater DLC super worth the $2? The rare item or Grimoire ones sound really tempting, if any of them do.

Chloe is okay, and no I don't think any of the cheat dlc is really useful. All seems unnecessary

Nachos

Don't know about Chloe, since she really didn't do much in the demo, but Arianna (voice aside) seemed entertaining enough in that initial slice.

Regina and Marion are definitely cool, though.

Chloe is okay, and no I don't think any of the cheat dlc is really useful. All seems unnecessary
It seems like I misread something too, I thought one of them involved getting conditional drops easier but looking over the list now (in this thread, at least), it's not there.

Top Bottom