• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V, Strange Journey Redux, and Radiant Historia 3DS coming to NA/EU

redcrayon

Radiant Historia 3DS is nice and all, but considering every JRPG fan who had a DS probably played it already, methinks there is still plenty to whine about in terms of when there will be a sequel...
Seeing as it wasn't released in Europe, came out years ago on the previous hardware, and even in the US was a late, niche release that might have been easily missed, I think there's plenty of 3DS JRPG fans who haven't played it. Not everyone imports games or has played portable RPGs for at least six years. RH and SJ are good picks for remasters, as incredibly niche games often ignored on release that, over time, have gradually been recognised as two of the best portable RPGs.

Also, people enter the hobby and some lapse all the time, I'll never understand the sentiment that 'everyone already played that 6/7 years ago', as if the gaming customer base was set as a specific group of people decades ago, with nobody entering or leaving the hobby. That's why GTA and Mario Kart keep selling years after release, and games aimed at kids sell, as a sizeable portion of new players pick them up.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Fucking vindicated.

Guess that means you can fix your avatar now lol.

rnpqvet.gif

Opa-Pa

Very happy to see these confirmations, lots of excitement for these games, especially EOV.

Disappointed that they didn't confirm Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 though, as I loved the first one. Fingers crossed?

I think it's just a matter that they chose to prioritize SJ and RH over it for the time being, with all three being announced so close to each other and all.

I mean Atlus' number of current localizations is already pretty crazy. They've announced (or have had leaked) Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza 6, 13 Sentinels, Radiant Historia, Strange Journey and EO5. And well, SMT HD project too I guess.

I think it's just a matter that they chose to prioritize SJ and RH over it for the time being, with all three being announced so close to each other and all.

I mean Atlus' number of current localizations is already pretty crazy. They've announced (or have had leaked) Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza 6, 13 Sentinels, Radiant Historia, Strange Journey and EO5. And well, SMT HD project too I guess.
Oh I know, that's plenty of localizations, and it's not like Atlus has been afraid to support old platforms in the past. I just know EOMD didn't set the world on fire in terms of sales, so if any of their current Japanese lineup were to get dropped, I worry that it is EOMD2. There is hardly any love for the original around here.

Buzzi

Nice, EOV was pretty much the last localization still pending in my wishlist. I'll have to play the two Untold games before, but that's another story.

The number of RPGs the 3DS has is honestly a little overkill at this point. How can anything hope to stand out?

Anyway, I'm interested in all three of these games, though I never heard very much about the originals. Definitely looking forward to hearing more.

Eolz

Real news here is SMT DSJ :p
Hopefully we'll get EU release news at Gamescom at worst...

As an European, fuck the 3DS.

Maybe I can finally get into Radiant Historia if it ever releases over here.

I think you mean fuck Atlus USA and Sega EU.

SirNinja

Holy shit, E3 started early.

In for all of these, especially Strange Journey Redux. If you like Etrian and/or SMT and haven't played this yet, you're in for a serious treat here.

There's been a few hints that SEGA Europe will be taking over Atlus localisations, so who know's whether that will be an improvement or not. Deep Silver have been fine for the most recent releases at least.

I'm there for all three. Though I'm not entirely convinced with the presentation of SMT: Strange Journey Redux, reminds me of Devil Summoner.

Which was a great port of a Saturn game (the artwork wasn't zoomed in to make it 5:3, Atlus must have looked out the original assets), but locked to what felt like 20fps in dungeons for some reason.

Edit: Rewatched the April Direct and it seems fine, must have been my video stream back then.

redcrayon

Can't see myself putting my 3DS down until mid-2018 at this rate. EO and SJ are minimum 55-hour dungeon crawls, they take me ages to finish.

Joqu

Okay I'm European and all that so no getting too excited yet for me, but this is great news either way. Yess.

Wait really. I was not expect the last two to be localized and was losing hope for Etrian Odyssey. This just made my day. Day 1 for all three games.

Thank you. I was afraid I was gonna have to storm Atlus HQ for information!

Lemme guess...September? With Ys and Utawarerumono :^)

Top Bottom