• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2017 and 3DS still has its foot on the competition's neck

Pokemon Ultra Moon/Sun
Etryan Odyssey V
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux
Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology
Monster Hunter Stories
Yo-kai Watch 2 Psychic Specters
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Echoes
Hey! Pikmin
Dragon Quest XI
Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2
Snack World
Megaton Musashi
Lady Layton
Miitopia
Kirby
Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World
Mario Sports: Superstars
Ever Oasis
... and more.

How did this happen? ��

RM8

3DS is pretty much my favourite system so I'm happy to see it having a long life. It's also the last decently sized handheld.

It's almost comical how we all expect "no THIS is the year the 3DS is done" and it's like "no bruh I got like way more games coming".

Eh, it's a good line up but it's not that much different from 2016's in a way. More Monster Hunter, more Fire Emblem and more Dragon Quest. Looking forward to all of them but it's nowhere near as exciting as what's coming for Switch and PS4 in my opinion.

Zerin

Vita was the last competition for the handheld market and it couldn't get out of it's own way. Not that Nintendo's handhelds haven't earned their place or to take anything away from them.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What competition? You mean Mobile? lol.

After PSP which sold a respectable 80 million units, let's be honest, Nintendo never had a competition in the handheld space besides the encroachment of the mobile phone.

GSR

Much as I love Dai Gyakuten Saiban, DGS2 isn't exactly gonna set the charts on fire.

Still a surprisingly strong lineup.

Also, what competition

Malakai

And it is still missing a lot genres like Racing, Sports Sims, Sports, Shooters, 3D platforming and 3D action adventure games.

It's almost comical how we all expect "no THIS is the year the 3DS is done" and it's like "no bruh I got like way more games coming".
Increasingly Worried GAFer Says 'The 3DS Is Done' For The 8th Time.

And it is still missing a lot genres like Racing, Sports Sims, Sports, Shooters, 3D platforming and 3D action adventure games.
The 3DS would be the greatest handheld of all time for me if it had a couple more good racing games. There's only so much Mario Kart 7 and Ridge Racer 3D can do for me. We're not getting a new F-Zero, but couldn't Shin'en do a version of FAST for the 3DS?

pagrab

Glad you like it OP, but you gotta admit that the selection caters to a very specific taste. For example - if you like action or racing games, you are in trouble. There is also nothing especially surprising about this list - no oddball games, that may end up being awesome, like in the DS days.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Vita was the last competition for the handheld market and it couldn't get out of it's own way. Not that Nintendo's handhelds haven't earned their place or to take anything away from them.

Vita isnt a competitor

Nintendo can't just let the 3DS die, they have to hedge in case the Switch bombs. The 3DS carried Nintendo through the Wii U years, so whether they like it or not, 3DS can't go anywhere if they want to guarantee they remain financially solvent.

The irony is that Nintendo was trying to make the Switch into a universal handheld/home console platform to stop developing for two platforms all the time, but they still have to develop for the 3DS anyways. They could have just made the Switch a true home console and the result would have been effectively the same.

So glad to see these 240p games gone. They're good, but not acceptable anymore in 2017.

If resolution was a really big deal in handhelds, the Vita would have demolished the 3DS. History has demonstrated that resolution is not important, that's why no competitor to Nintendo's handhelds ever survived except the PSP and the resolution on PSP was definitely not one of it's selling points.

Malakai

Increasingly Worried GAFer Says 'The 3DS Is Done' For The 8th Time.

The 3DS would be the greatest handheld of all time for me if it had a couple more good racing games. There's only so much Mario Kart 7 and Ridge Racer 3D can do for me. We're not getting a new F-Zero, but couldn't Shin'en do a version of FAST for the 3DS?

It would have to be a New 3DS exclusive, I guess possibly with no 3D and rendered at a sub 240p resolution LOL.

Ironically, with the Switch getting both Redone and FAST along with Mario Kart 8, is currently, the only saving grace aspect of the line up for me. The Switch racing library already crushed the 3DS's racing library out of the gate.

Nintendo can't just let the 3DS die, they have to hedge in case the Switch bombs. The 3DS carried Nintendo through the Wii U years, so whether they like it or not, 3DS can't go anywhere if they want to guarantee they remain financially solvent.

The irony is that Nintendo was trying to make the Switch into a universal handheld/home console platform to stop developing for two platforms all the time, but they still have to develop for the 3DS anyways. They could have just made the Switch a true home console and the result would have been effectively the same.

If resolution was a really big deal in handhelds, the Vita would have demolished the 3DS. History has demonstrated that resolution is not important, that's why no competitor to Nintendo's handhelds ever survived except the PSP and the resolution on PSP was definitely not one of it's selling points.

That's a complicated matter indeed. Nintendo needs to keep 3DS alive with games in case Switch bombs... But so far Nintendo is making everything to make sure Switch bombs. I feel like Switch would be a much better value with some of these 3DS games moved to Switch. Basically, I feel that with Switch, Nintendo is being cautious while trying to make a lot of profits on a small userbase on it... At the same time, they prevent it to getting a big userbase because of that cautiousness.

It's a fairly solid list of titles, many of which I plan to purchase, but at the same time there's a lot of more niche releases compared to say 2013/2014. At this point I would be very pleasantly surprised at the announcement of a say new 3D Mario land, another Pokemon title, a new main IP launch getting an exclusive launch on the system, something along those lines.

I'm expecting at most two or three more dual launches exclusive to n3DS whilst Nintendo try to get the Switch going, and otherwise some WiiU ports and cheaper to produce Nintendo titles. Which given the age of the base system is still pretty fantastic at this stage. By the time I'm done my 3DS library is going to be huge!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Hope Lady Layton will be good. I couldn't make it through the Layton prequel trilogy after the strong finish of Unwound Future.

Malakai

Why couldn't the Switch be a 5" 540p fanless device that ran a little bit faster than the Switch undock clock speed that have an additional GPU and/or SOC in the dock. And Nintendo could just optional stand alone handheld SKU and handheld/dock combo SKU...

Sandfox

I wouldn't say Nintendo is hedging because the games coming to the 3DS are clearly small/cheap projects while the big stuff is coming to the Switch.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Some of this appeals to me. Some doesn't. I do wonder about the localization chances of some of these games.

I'm not surprised tbis year will still see 3DS titles. I think these games will likely all be the last entries in their respective series to launch on 3DS. I expect some cross-gen games and for 2018 to be when the system finally fades. I think Emily Rogers said suppprt is planned through 2018, and this looks to be in line by that.

I don't think 3DS can be fully replaced until Nintendo finds a way to release Switch (or a new entry in the Switch family) at $250 or ideally $200. 2018 or 2019 sounds right for that.

BooJoh

Glad you like it OP, but you gotta admit that the selection caters to a very specific taste. For example - if you like action or racing games, you are in trouble. There is also nothing especially surprising about this list - no oddball games, that may end up being awesome, like in the DS days.
The eShop has largely filled that role with 3DS. Plenty of gems if you're not afraid to take a chance on indie devs once in a while.

GamerJM

Banned
Insane the think 3DS released in 2011. What a life it's had.

Doesn't feel like that long ago to me. Time has flown by....

The original DS, on the other hand, felt like it lived forever to me, even though its lifespan probably won't end up being much longer (by this point in its life it was approaching the 3DS' launch). Guess that's just time feeling shorter as you get older :p.

BooJoh

I don't know whether the following have a confirmed US future release: Dragon Quest XI, Fire Emblem stuff, Megaton Musashi, DGS 2, Monster Hunter XX, SMT

The Fire Emblem stuff was announced today in the NA Nintendo Direct so I think it's sort of confirmed there. Don't know about the others.

Another upcoming game is Ever Oasis.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Monster Hunter XX
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Echoes
Pikmin
Dragon Quest XI
Shin Megami Tensei
Snack World
Megaton Musashi
Lady Layton
Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World
Mario Sports: Superstars
... and more.

How did this happen? 💀

Man, I will probably buy ALL those games (FE Warriors for Switch ;p )
It is incredible how close to my taste this system ha been since launch

Top Bottom