• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2017 and 3DS still has its foot on the competition's neck

I don't know whether the following have a confirmed US future release: Dragon Quest XI, Fire Emblem stuff, Megaton Musashi, DGS 2, Monster Hunter XX, SMT
Fire Emblem Echoes has a date (May 19) and Fire Emblem Warriors has a window (fall). Don't think the rest have a dates, and the SMT game isn't even a fully announced title as far as I know.

CrayToes

Such a great little system that's had stellar support for years now. I really hope all of that support gets carried over to Switch.

SOR5

I remember the early years of the 3DS that were seemingly in turmoil, it became a great system and a staple for any Nintendo fan

sneas78

Banned
I loved my 3ds .. it got stolen not that long ago.. I found one for cheap it's an xl so I'm getting that in the next couple of weeks.. but all this vita doom.. someone just made a thread about it... some of you people are harsh. Just mindless.. I don't get the hate. Now here argue with this don't quote me ..

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1329852

Nintendo have consistently maintained the Switch is a home console and not in the same space as the 3DS and their game announcements seem to reflect that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 3DS got a successor in a couple of years and the notion of the Switch being a hybrid and combining resources is completely bogus. 3DS were actually up last year so I don't think it's even in the winding down stage yet.

I'm always happy to get new games for platforms I already own. Switch is all potential -- the more software it has the more likely I'll buy one in the near future.

Both 3DS and Vita have surprisingly good stuff coming this year. I'm pleased considering the state of the dedicated handheld market an its future.

Famassu

How did this happen? 💀
It's a handheld, handheld's are the most viable (traditional) gaming devices in Japan currently, 3DS is a successful handheld that still sells well -> continued support. I mean, most of these aren't games you develop for PS4 or Wii U (let alone Xbone, lol), Switch hasn't even launched yet and 3DS is clearly the better option out of 3DS & Vita, so publishers can still push out a few last games for 3DS before they start seriously transitioning to Switch or other platforms past 2017.

And apart from Dragon Quest XI, Monster Hunter & maybe Pikmin, those are hardly the level of games that give a huge edge for 3DS over other platforms. Not to even mention we are never getting games like Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 outside Japan. Great for people who can speak the language, absolutely worthless to mention in 3DS offerings on a largely English forum where a majority of people have zero ability to understand the language (past maybe meme-y/extra common words like kawaiiiiiii~ and hai, hai, hai, hai, hai)

Soundslike

Neo Member
I dont have a 3ds and will get the switch, so for me every new 3ds release is irritating. But i totally understand the business side of why.

Pandy

It's currently the leading active platform on the market.

I haven't been paying much attention to the holiday sales figures, but isn't the 3DS:pS4 ratio still something like 3:2?
Combine that with the much reduced development costs for the 3DS, and it's hardly a surprise.

ffvorax

That list remind me why I don't like most of Nintendo exclusives... I don't care about any of that titles... :\

I must resist to buy as always a new N console for a Pk/PhoenixW game and then let it take dust... I will save this list as a reminder... lol

Piichan

Banned
Really hoping Dai Gyakaten Saiban 2 is getting a Switch release too. Playing a game with those gorgeous character models on an HDTV would be glorious.

EDIT: Didn't mean to port beg lol. Getting the game regardless of platform.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Parahan

So glad to see these 240p games gone. They're good, but not acceptable anymore in 2017.

Having spent most of my adult gaming hours on a 3DS,I couldn't agree more. I would have been OK if the switch had 3DS backwards compatibility and they rested 3DS for good.

Such an amazing library deserves better than 240p.

Famassu

Nintendo have consistently maintained the Switch is a home console and not in the same space as the 3DS and their game announcements seem to reflect that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 3DS got a successor in a couple of years and the notion of the Switch being a hybrid and combining resources is completely bogus. 3DS were actually up last year so I don't think it's even in the winding down stage yet.
That's just marketing crap. Nintendo says the same about every new platform. "3DS is the third pillar", "DS doesn't replace GBA, it's a whole new kind of gaming device! Friendship is magic!" Just because there are still a few releases from Nintendo for 3DS (most of them which seem to be ports & remakes, spin-offs and shitty sports games, not a completely new major Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade or anything on the level of those), it doesn't mean that 3DS still has 5 more years or that it's definite proof that 3DS Advanced is a thing in 2-3 years while Switch will get shafted and not get handheld-y games.

This is just pretty usual for the most successful platforms. They still get quite a few heavy hitters the year their successor arrives + plenty of support from small publishers who have quick turn-around with their projects, it's often the year after that when things start to seriously wind down, especially as far as the heavy hitters go. Some publishers continue that support well into the life of the successor because there's more risk releasing niche games for platforms that might've not sold more than 1-3 million units vs. releasing it on a platform that is winding down but still has plenty of actively purchasing users a couple of years into the new generation and who are still on the look out for new games before they are ready to jump ship to the next generation.

Having spent most of my adult gaming hours on a 3DS,I couldn't agree more. I would have been OK if the switch had 3DS backwards compatibility and they rested 3DS for good.

Such an amazing library deserves better than 240p.

I could tolerate 240p because the 3D visuals made it look cool, but yeah, BC that cleanly upscaled the 3DS games would have been nice on Switch. I will seriously miss stereoscopic 3D.

Forkball

3DS is great. I can't wait for all the 3DS developers to move over to the Switch.

It'll happen soon.

Any second now...

I'm not particularly surprised. The 3DS effectively has had the dedicated gaming handheld niche entirely to itself since day one (the Vita was never even briefly serious competition) so there's no reason for it not to have a lengthy lifespan, and Nintendo's still not publically willing to commit to the Switch as its 3DS successor in case it bombs. Plus, they still have a large and active player base that got reinvigorated by Sun and Moon, so it makes sense to continue serving that base rather than cutting them off immediately.

The GBA actually had many significant releases in 2005, some even in 2006, as well as a brand new model.

aadiboy

I wish it had a mainline Metroid game to round out its library (FF doesn't count). That would ascend it to godlike status.

Barring an absolute failure on the Switch's part, yes, the Switch is replacing the 3DS. Half the point of the Switch was to consolidate their handheld and home console software and hardware teams. They internally reorganized around this. The idea being to focus only on a single platform, increasing the number of unique games due to no longer having to develop completely separate games for two different pieces of hardware. No more Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 or downports of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Hyrule Warriors to the 3DS, just "Mario Kart 9, playable at home or on the go!", etc.. Nintendo has already said this was a goal that inspired the design of the Switch, and we know for a fact their handheld and console hardware teams merged a few years back. So no, it's not gonna be bogus.

The only reason Nintendo keeps presenting the Switch as a home console and not a 3DS successor is the same reason Nintendo pretended the DS was a third pillar and not a successor to the GBA. It's to save face in the event it back fires and to have an "out". So sure, if the Switch fails miserably we may get a 4DS announced for 2019 or something, but if not the 3DS will go the way of the GBA - quietly phased out as its intended successor takes over entirely. Keep in mind, even for the GBA that took two years.

TrutaS

I loved the 3DS, but I'm struggling to enjoy my time with the games because it just feels old to me. Please move on from it, move to the Switch or something new. I need new hardware for all these games to focus on.

Raziel

3DS still has its foot on the competition's neck and I'm still looking for something interesting to me other than "maybe this DQ game" and "maybe this SMT game." I'll probably pass on both listed here in favor of the console versions. Sigh.

daxgame

So glad to see these 240p games gone. They're good, but not acceptable anymore in 2017.

198020-neil-degrasse-tyson-reaction1-220x165.jpg

Malakai

Barring an absolute failure on the Switch's part, yes, the Switch is replacing the 3DS. Half the point of the Switch was to consolidate their handheld and home console software and hardware teams. They internally reorganized around this. The idea being to focus only on a single platform, increasing the number of unique games due to no longer having to develop completely separate games for two different pieces of hardware. No more Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 or downports of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Hyrule Warriors to the 3DS, just "Mario Kart 9, playable at home or on the go!", etc.. Nintendo has already said this was a goal that inspired the design of the Switch, and we know for a fact their handheld and console hardware teams merged a few years back. So no, it's not gonna be bogus.

The only reason Nintendo keeps presenting the Switch as a home console and not a 3DS successor is the same reason Nintendo pretended the DS was a third pillar and not a successor to the GBA. It's to save face in the event it back fires and to have an "out". So sure, if the Switch fails miserably we may get a 4DS announced for 2019 or something, but if not the 3DS will go the way of the GBA - quietly phased out as its intended successor takes over entirely. Keep in mind, even for the GBA that took two years.

There was a thread on that topic on "Third Pillar" for the DS a few days ago. Internally, Nintendo developers weren't sold on the idea of dual screens. A bit of people though the idea was stupid; however, since it was Hiroshi Yamauchi's idea...well huh that name should alone should tell you why DS was launch...

Pandy

You can't say on one hand that it wasn't really a third-pillar, and on the other hand that they kept the GBA around for ages. It was a third-pillar for a while, then another of the pillars went away.

I'm sure the 3DS will be phased out after the successful release of a pocket-sized Switch, but Nintendo aren't being disingenuous about keeping 3DS around for the time being. Nor are they trying to save face about dropping the WiiU for the Switch, by calling the Switch a home console they are admitting that the WiiU is history.

The only question in my mind is whether or not there will be a final hurrah for the 3DS in the form of a n3DS-Micro, as there was for the GBA. I could see some variation of that happening if the pocket-size Switch was still too far out from being produced at a reasonable price-point.

Raitaro

I'm with Jeff Gerstmann on this that the 3DS in general is more of hindrance to me getting more Nintendo games on my tv where I'd much, much rather play them.

As such, I can't help but feel that the 3DS' success kind of of helped ruin the Wii U's library for me and that I'm already fearing that it might do the same for the Switch's library despite its portable nature. Nintendo can't expect (Vita and) 3DS developers to jump ship if they keep offering them a more attractive (i.e. more well-spread and cheaper) platform to release games on. We have to make the switch transition sometime unless we want to end up with yet another under-performing home console with a small library that is being overshadowed by a full handheld successor to 3DS at some point.

I get that many like playing on their 3DS but at least allow me to play these games on a tv now that the Switch can offer both options.

Edit: I see that some here bring up the "DS as third pillar lie" as an example but imo this is a different scenario. When the DS got announced, many did not want the GB(A) line to end because of the DS's unproven nature so them saying that the DS would be a third pillar served to reassure GB(A) fans. Now, many of us actually want the 3DS to be put to rest so it won't hold back the Switch and the supposed unified development and two play configurations it's got going for it as one of its biggest draws.

In that sense, lying about continued 3DS support makes less sense since they'd be telling a part of their customer base what they don't want to hear. Unless they actually believe that the larger part of their fanbase keeps playing Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter on 3DS because they want to and not because they don't have an alternative option. The only way to find out if that is actually true is to release said games on Switch as well to give people the option to play on tv (and of course to do effective marketing to avoid Wii U problems of people not wanting to jump ship because it seemed like a failed system from the start).

Veal

Increasingly Worried GAFer Says 'The 3DS Is Done' For The 8th Time.

The 3DS would be the greatest handheld of all time for me if it had a couple more good racing games. There's only so much Mario Kart 7 and Ridge Racer 3D can do for me. We're not getting a new F-Zero, but couldn't Shin'en do a version of FAST for the 3DS?
Simmy racers have been a gaping hole on portables almost as a given. These consoles have been strong enough to make an at least decent portable experience. Hopefully with the Switch we might get something in this regard but I'm not expecting anything.

Also FAST is coming to switch on day 1!

xealo

I've yet to come across a good "this is not acceptable because it's 20XX"-"argument"

240p wasn't even that good in 2011 when it released.

I love my 3ds too, but claiming there isn't any good arguments against why 240p is too low at this point is just wilfully ignoring them and proceeding to claim they aren't there.

Probably my most wanted handheld game atm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fsPHrBtzAw

For sure dude, it looks so good! The only thing I'd like in addition to what we've seen is some sort of multilayer content? The game seems ripe for it but as is, it does look fantastic.

I totally get people wanting new 3ds things to appear on the switch as well, but I don't really get the calls for the 3ds to die entirely. It's still a great system a lot if us enjoy. The safety of the 3ds is probably what's allowing a lot of the projects on the switch to happen right now.

Why not do switch edition of FE echoes, or the Pikmin game too or have one SMT project only on 3ds? I don't know, I imagine a lot of discussion went into these things and at a certain point the reality is these games were built with 3ds in mind or would come off too poorly visually to straddle as a cross release as well? I don't know. It might seem common sense that all games should now be switch exclusive or both but the reality of that would probably not be as pleasing. Plus if everyone just buys the 3ds version of a game on both every time, that might cause an issue in itself.

Idk. I just know I really like my 3ds and the switch looks great. I view them as different by having different specs, features like strert pass and one vs two screens, and I'm perfectly happy getting bespoke content for both but appreciate who solely see switch as an improvement and not an alternative might see that different. The market will decide whether there is an audience for one or both anyway and devs will have to react accordingly. Imo at widely different price points and feature sets there can be both and games for both, but I'm not very spec bothered in these judgments. Can't say 240p ever bothered me haha

Oh come on, aren't you getting tired of these really out-dated visuals by now?

For some of us the answer is genuinely no. The clarity on the switch looks awesome but it just doesn't bother me the other way around, the res on the 3ds.

Malakai

The 3D effect is 800X240...That wasn't a bad resolution in early 2011 for system that was rumored to be released late 2010. IIRC, phone the first 720p phone were released in 2011. Also, the tech wasn't there to drive anything higher during that time period. Even the Vita doesn't run all of its games at its native resolution at 960x544p...

Monster Hunter XX
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Echoes
Pikmin
Dragon Quest XI
Shin Megami Tensei
Snack World
Megaton Musashi
Lady Layton
Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World
Mario Sports: Superstars
... and more.

How did this happen? 💀

Check back in 2018 and we will see a very different list. Favoring the Switch.

killatopak

Have you heard of the ps2? It was still getting game long after the ps3 was released.

It's perfectly fin since it has a big player base and companies profit from that compared to a hypothetical playerbase the switch has.

LordKano

Unfortunately my 3DS's stick is dying a little more every day now. I think I'll finish Dragon Quest VIII and finally let this console rest in peace. It lived long enough.

Competition being the switch, unfortunately.

It's worrisome, isn't it? So much for "Nintendo unified Platform" I've been expecting. Everything we've seen on the Switch so far are console focused. There is 0 game that looks like a traditional handheld game.

It's worrisome, isn't it? So much for "Nintendo unified Platform" I've been expecting. Everything we've seen on the Switch so far are console focused. There is 0 game that looks like a traditional handheld game.
Snipperclips is a game. Also Puyo Puyo Tetris. Octopath Traveler is on the same level as Bravely Default, I guess. Is Bomberman console focused?

240p wasn't even that good in 2011 when it released.

I love my 3ds too, but claiming there isn't any good arguments against why 240p is too low at this point is just wilfully ignoring them and proceeding to claim they aren't there.

Well it's clearly impacting sales isn't it?
Hint: It's not.

You can't say on one hand that it wasn't really a third-pillar, and on the other hand that they kept the GBA around for ages. It was a third-pillar for a while, then another of the pillars went away.

I'm sure the 3DS will be phased out after the successful release of a pocket-sized Switch, but Nintendo aren't being disingenuous about keeping 3DS around for the time being. Nor are they trying to save face about dropping the WiiU for the Switch, by calling the Switch a home console they are admitting that the WiiU is history.

The only question in my mind is whether or not there will be a final hurrah for the 3DS in the form of a n3DS-Micro, as there was for the GBA. I could see some variation of that happening if the pocket-size Switch was still too far out from being produced at a reasonable price-point.
Yes I can say it, lol. They kept the GBA around a while as an emergency rip-cord, and the marketing speak intentionally allowed for the possibility of a true GBA successor without going back on their claims if the DS failed, but the long term plan was never to have three pillars. Just like how right now they aren't planning in the long term to have a distinct handheld and home console. They'll do it for now for obvious reasons, but barring a huge Switch failure the intent is that it will all be merged going forwards.

m.i.s.

Banned
Is it bad to want the Switch to fail hard so N has to go back to dual screen handhelds?

Super 3DS / 3DS+ / 3DSi sounds so cool right now.

Windforce

Can't wait to see it replaced, though. The games are indeed there, but the graphics are just too terrible. They were terrible in 2012 already.

Switch can't come soon enough.

Top Bottom