• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V, Strange Journey Redux, and Radiant Historia 3DS coming to NA/EU

TheChaos

Unless they release some sort of DLC trading the garbage new art style for the old one I'm leaving the SMT and Radiant Historia games alone.

Etrian Odyssey V though...that's my jam. Getting that day 1.

Joqu

It's not weird to me. SJ is a lot more niche gameplay wise and way more hard. It just has less of an audience so the resources are better off on something that will get more sales.

Maybe they're expecting more from this new Radiant Historia version but I'm pretty sure SMT is way bigger nowadays. Isn't this version of SJ overhauled to be more welcoming too? They have certainly made it look more like the IV games.

I.R.I.S.

Neo Member
Uhh, did Radiant Historia really sell more than Strange Journey in the west? That doesn't sound right.

The lack of English VA is even weirder considering the main characters are actually American. Oh well, I guess I don't really care that much.

I'm not sure about actual sales but in terms of sales potential for the re-release I'd say there's more there for a new turn based isometric JRPG than a dungeon crawler (there are already a HUGE amount there already)

Opa-Pa

English announcement trailers and websites for all three games:
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth - Trailer | Website
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - Trailer | Website
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux- Trailer | Website

Oh well, at least the japanese VA for SJ sounds quite good and very fitting for the tone of the game, but the situation still sucks.

The Megaten account posted a couple of new videos too, by the way

https://twitter.com/megaten_atlus/status/871653628217618433

https://twitter.com/megaten_atlus/status/872393409977171968

I hope the battle video is supposed to highlight the voices, because otherwise the game has awful audio mixing, and I want to hear that glorious battle theme.

krossj

Yes! Been a while since IV and it was so good. The untolds have just added to the anticipation for this. Really looking forward to it.

Hylian7

Oh well, at least the japanese VA for SJ sounds quite good and very fitting for the tone of the game, but the situation still sucks.

The Megaten account posted a couple of new videos too, by the way

https://twitter.com/megaten_atlus/status/871653628217618433

https://twitter.com/megaten_atlus/status/872393409977171968

I hope the battle video is supposed to highlight the voices, because otherwise the game has awful audio mixing, and I want to hear that glorious battle theme.

I gotta say, I love the animated sprites on the bottom screen. It seems like the battles are redone to be in the SMTIV engine.

Tohsaka

Looking forward to playing Strange Journey for the first time, and it'll be nice to finally have Japanese voices in an SMT game without resorting to undubs.

Eolz

Just noticed that Deep Strange Journey was renamed as Redux. Disappointing, but I'm not a native english speaker, so I guess it was risky in terms of innuendos or something like that?

Looking forward to playing Strange Journey for the first time, and it'll be nice to finally have Japanese voices in an SMT game without resorting to undubs.

Oh man, I wish I could play Strange Journey for the first time again. My favourite mainline SMT!

ekurisona

preorder-on-amazon.png

Velcro Fly

Seems like none of these titles will have the Atlus tax either. Good deal Atlus. Now I'm really considering buying all three.

I'm worried for the Etrian V dub. Will it be as good as the JP dub? Like the character creator alone has like 40 different voice options. I'm really worried the English dub will mess this up.

It's actually shocking Strange Journey, probably the game that will do the best out of the 3 isn't getting a dub. It isn't going to stop me getting the game however. I'd personally prefer it if everything was dual audio.

Now I'm still waiting for Deep Silver to announce this for Europe...

mrmickfran

Is there a real reason to play the Etrian Odyssey games in order? Are the stories connected in any way?

I don't want to have to play in the order Untold > Untold 2 > 3 > 4 > 5

zashga

Is there a real reason to play the Etrian Odyssey games in order? Are the stories connected in any way?

No need to play them in order. The story doesn't really carry over from game to game aside from some vague references. Up to 4 (haven't played 5 yet), I'd say each sequel is generally better than the last. I'd recommend 4 for someone starting the series today.

Hyoukokun

There are a handful of tangential connections, and I think that 3 and 4 in particular are worth playing, but you should be able to jump in to 5 fine. Thanks to Untold 1 and 2 if you go back to play the early games, the QoL problems are largely fixed.

If you want to play them in an order it would probably be in order of release(skipping 1 and 2 since they have remakes) to play in order of ascending system upgrades and conveniences.

You can also choose to skip 3 altogether in the hopes of Untold 3 in the future(though I'm going to be honest. I don't think that's going to happen now)

Eolz

Not really no.
Untold are more focused on the stories. Untold 2 or 4 are both great entry points before 5 imo. 3 might get a remake at some point (Untold 3), so I'd skip it for now anyway.

edit: whoops beaten.

Anteo

No not really. Untold 1 and 2 are loosely related in the story mode. They all share the world setup by the EO1/EOUntold1 5th stratum.

mrmickfran

No need to play them in order. The story doesn't really carry over from game to game aside from some vague references. Up to 4 (haven't played 5 yet), I'd say each sequel is generally better than the last. I'd recommend 4 for someone starting the series today.

There are a handful of tangential connections, and I think that 3 and 4 in particular are worth playing, but you should be able to jump in to 5 fine. Thanks to Untold 1 and 2 if you go back to play the early games, the QoL problems are largely fixed.

If you want to play them in an order it would probably be in order of release(skipping 1 and 2 since they have remakes) to play in order of ascending system upgrades and conveniences.

You can also choose to skip 3 altogether in the hopes of Untold 3 in the future(though I'm going to be honest. I don't think that's going to happen now)

Not really no.
Untold are more focused on the stories. Untold 2 or 4 are both great entry points before 5 imo. 3 might get a remake at some point (Untold 3), so I'd skip it for now anyway.

edit: whoops beaten.

I'd imagine that with the Switch looking like Nintendo's main platform going forward, that dual screen gaming won't be a thing anymore, which would lessen the chances of an Untold 3.

So I guess it would be fine to play in the order:
3 > 4 > Untold > Untold 2 > 5?

Going this route would allow me to appreciate the evolution of the series.

Anteo

I'd imagine that with the Switch looking like Nintendo's main platform going forward, that dual screen gaming won't be a thing anymore, which would lessen the chances of an Untold 3.

Asuming you want to play all of them, yes. But as much as I love 3 I would recommend skipping it and only comming back if you still want more eo. Same for untold 1.

Btw going from 3 to untold 1 you will lose some gameplay features that were introduced in 3 and not added to the remakes.

Yeah that's cool.

Though actually, 3 and 4 both use a subclass system and Untold 1 and 2 both use a grimoire system so playing them back to back like that may get stale. If you're going to be playing them in close proximity, you might want to consider dividing them like 3 -> Untold -> 4 -> Untold 2 so you don't play 2 games with the same class system back to back in a row.

But I mean, there's no real need to go that far if you don't want to. Just a suggestion.

Going this route would allow me to appreciate the evolution of the series.

This is a pretty solid order, just make sure you play the untold games in classic mode with expert difficulty (the difficulty closest to the original games, which should be fine if you've cleared 3 and 4 before hand).

Cindro

I think I recall hearing about Radiant Historia being one of the best RPGs on the DS, with echoes of Chrono Trigger.

Is that accurate? Is Perfect Chronology a sequel to that game, an upgraded port, or what? I'm not a huge RPG fan, but Chrono Trigger is one of my all-time favorites, so I'm certainly open to checking this one out!

Bladenic

RIP Kaneko Strange Journey art. </3 :(

I wonder if we'll ever get a SMT with that style again.

I still wonder why Atlus hates him or whatever the story is

But anyway no English is truly a bummer. I doubt the JP voice will be anywhere near as good as SMT4 Mastema

xevis

Banned
I remember a beautiful dungeon crawling game with great music and great levels and randomly generated heroes who knew how to shut up. What the hell happened? :(

Gardios

The voice acting is optional so you don't have to use it if you don't want to. I'm not seeing a problem here

Skulldead

I think I recall hearing about Radiant Historia being one of the best RPGs on the DS, with echoes of Chrono Trigger.

Is that accurate? Is Perfect Chronology a sequel to that game, an upgraded port, or what? I'm not a huge RPG fan, but Chrono Trigger is one of my all-time favorites, so I'm certainly open to checking this one out!

it's not on Chrono Trigger level, lower you expectation just a little, but this a pretty solid JRPG, a little unbalanced overall and there some repetitive section, but it make sense in the overall time travelling universe of the game. I'm really looking to this upgraded.

xevis

Banned
The voice acting is optional so you don't have to use it if you don't want to. I'm not seeing a problem here

Well, voice acting or not, the entire story stuff Atlus has been pushing with Untold (and now, apparently, EO5) is some hot trash. Original EO was great. It didn't lead you by the nose. You explored the dungeon because it was there. The small encounters along the way or in the town were sparse enough to be interesting. The focus was clearly gameplay. Now it seems like you need to disable this, ignore that and bla bla bla just to get something roughly approximating the original game.

spiritfox

Well, voice acting or not, the entire story stuff Atlus has been pushing with Untold (and now, apparently, EO5) is some hot trash. Original EO was great. It didn't lead you by the nose. You explored the dungeon because it was there. The small encounters along the way or in the town were sparse enough to be interesting. The focus was clearly gameplay. Now it seems like you need to disable this, ignore that and bla bla bla just to get something roughly approximating the original game.

Have you actually played the game

This is actually the one time I've ever seen people wanting atlus to HAVE an english dub for a game.
I want one too
. Its kinda funny

Top Bottom