• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(EU? Norway?) NES Classic Mini reaching EOL - production ceasing

I would say I'm surprised, if true, but the NES Mini always seemed like an advertising statement for Nintendo rather than a full product.

0racle

I believe it.

We had rumors of this for a while. The way they handled its release and subsequent shipments is proof.

This was a quick marketing gimmick. It was the hottest item at Xmas and still is. They needed Nintendo to be a household name again for the SWITCH.

I can almost guarantee that the classic was simply a very sly marketing tool.

Zedark

Well, gotta get the manufacturers working on extra Switch units I guess.

Kinda strange that they are abandoning the system already - it's been in high demand all its lifetime. There might be merit to the suggestion that the system damages their VC pricing, so that could explain this decision.

TannerDemoz

This is assuming that they are the same market, which they aren't.

The people buying the Mini aren't likely the same people buying the Switch, especially for VC.

It's a weird one.

Could sway people into buying the Switch if it launches with a really strong day 1 line-up of virtual console content
(it won't though)

There's a lot of people out there who probably never got around to buying a Mini NES and they're on the fence about a Switch purchase, so if all of a sudden the console launches with decent NES content it might justify a purchase?

And then they can experience scarcity all over again when they can't get hold of a Switch on day 1

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is assuming that they are the same market, which they aren't.

The people buying the Mini aren't likely the same people buying the Switch, especially for VC.

Sure, but the people potentially interested in buying NES games on Switch VC might feel like they're getting a pretty bad deal (which they absolutely are) compared to getting a NES Classic Mini.

graybot

Im guessing they were making fuck all off the product

Was very short sighted to release something like this, as once you buy it Nintendo cannot make any more money off it. In the world off DLC and digital games, that was poor planning

I expect their next version or the mini Snes, to have an online store where you can buy extra games

hqdefault.jpg

Roarer

Random user touting themself as a source isn't exactly proof. I'll wait till we here something official or at least multiple sources... especially when it flies in the face of what we've been told.

People have already posted quotes from other retailers. Mods can PM me if they want to verify my info.

In the past couple of weeks at Target stores in the U.S. it hasn't been difficult to find one at retail if you were patient and put in a small amount of legwork.

This is part of the 'building brand awareness and hype for the Switch' marketing blitz we've heard so much about. Completely and abruptly ending production on an under-produced $60 retro machine will now force consumers to rush out in waves to buy a $300 console.

They'll be following this up by announcing the SNES Mini in July and shipping 50,000 of them across all regions just in time for the holiday 2017 rush. 'They underestimated demand.......................................................again'

maybe they want them to be?

It'd be a very hard sale. "I know you wanted to pay $60 to play 30 NES games immediately, but how about you pay $300 for a game console hybrid and another $5 a pop for each NES game?"

Though if ebay prices keep going up, it might not be as hard of a sale after all.

I bought one yesterday and my youngest brother asked the guy at the store if there were more coming. The guy said they had 4 units left and that this was the last shipment they were receiving.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
And people didn't believe me when I said they were deliberately undershipping these. They got people talking about Nintendo again, before the launch of their new console. Mission accomplished.

If this proves true I can only imagine the insanity of a SNES mini.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
very smart move here by Nintendo in the run up to Switch, though a shame for anyone who wanted one and didnt get it

rj118

My guess is they feel the product devalues the perceived worth of these roms especially since the hardware was so quickly hacked to run their entire library and then some.

In other words, I bet they will abandon this concept so you can look forward to high virtual console prices.

This is an interesting point. Although, even if every NES Classic Mini was hacked post-purchase Nintendo is still leaving tons of margin behind by ceasing production so soon.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
And people didn't believe me when I said they were deliberately undershipping these. They got people talking about Nintendo again, before the launch of their new console. Mission accomplished.

If this proves true I can only imagine the insanity of a SNES mini.

What, i thought you guys said they were under shipping so they could sell eleventy billion Nes classics. Now its " they wanted people to be talking about nintendo again" All right.....ill roll with it.

ramparter

Banned
Wow I saw several in stores here in Greece and I thought it would be the case from now on and thats good for those scalpers that rushed to stockpile them. Guess not. Maybe I will buy one now so I won't regret it later.

llehuty

Hmmmmm

I just thought, what if they now want to readapt the Nintendo Mini format into the Switch ecosystem by redesigning it as a cartridge that fits in the Nintendo Switch Dock?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I thought it was a common belief that this thing was a short term product? Not surprised at all. Focus on Switch.

Are they really this fucking stupid?

It's not that stupid. As a brand moreso than product, you want to be desirable. Giving into being overly accessible and available on such a low level limits your desirability in the long run. It's a game of itself.

In that sense, yes, it IS stupid. But human nature...

Chindogg

Maybe the Scandinavian region's not getting any more? I don't buy for a second that they're just killing production now. Especially for the US.

Yohane

Also wasn't the Nes Mini developed in Europe? I bet the Japanese division was mad jealous of the runaway success.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Very odd if true.

On explanation I can think of is they didn't think it would sell to core gamers (they said as much in an interview), but just casuals/for nostalgia like those Atari and Genesis units you see in drug stores and what not for $30.

Once they realized it was selling to their core fanbase, maybe they panicked about it devaluing NES games in their eye and hurting their VC game sales among that crowd and leading to them not wanting to pay $5 for NES games, $8 for SNES etc.

That and/or they have some misguided view that people who have been interested in a $60 Classic will decide to shell out $300 for a Switch and $5 per NES game on the VC.

mindatlarge

You'd think this thing could make them some major money if they upped supply. The secondary market has been cleaning up on money that could be filling Nintendo's pockets. I really don't get this move, but maybe there is more to it. Sucks for those that haven't secured one at retail yet like myself.

very smart move here by Nintendo in the run up to Switch, though a shame for anyone who wanted one and didnt get it
It's so smart that it was my tipping point in choosing to no longer support Nintendo. The way they handled this thing confirmed to me that I just don't really need Nintendo anymore.

Top Bottom