• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(EU? Norway?) NES Classic Mini reaching EOL - production ceasing

maybe they'll make a second version without USB.

Probably something like that. It would be hard to believe that they would just kill the thing entirely. Or maybe they think it's going to get hacked no matter what sooner or later and don't want to riks it.

I work at Wal-Mart in NA, this is what I've heard from my Nintendo rep as well

When I asked if they gave a reason it has to do with the Switch VC and not wanting it to conflict with that.

That makes sense.
It's sad that it was hacked so quickly and nintendo cannot simply update the firmware.
It's better for them to simply stop production for now at least.
They might come back to the idea at a later date but double down on stopping the piracy.

Why are people shocked?
There is a well known and easy to do piracy exploit that let's people add any n.e.s game for free.
You expect them to keep making and shipping something like this when they have no control over it without a brand new model.

Probably something like that. It would be hard to believe that they would just kill the thing entirely. Or maybe they think it's going to get hacked no matter what sooner or later and don't want to riks it.
pretty much this, why on earth would they want this thing widely available on the market when they are just about to launch a new console and re-launch a new virtual console for it.
They might make a newer model next year without the USB but even then it's risky for them as they can't update the software again if people find a new way to hack it.
I think they should 100% stop production, it would end up doing far too much damage in the long run.

Hopefully this is just for the Scandinavian region. If Nintendo really is stopping production/shipments everywhere, that is insane.

I guess I'll never get one at this rate. I wanted one for myself and one as a gift for someone (since before Christmas).

Meanwhile, we have people like this selling them for double the price. Come on Nintendo.

YmyeIGyl.jpg

I work at Wal-Mart in NA, this is what I've heard from my Nintendo rep as well

When I asked if they gave a reason it has to do with the Switch VC and not wanting it to conflict with that.

I wouldn't take this at face value. This is so strange if true. These things are going to be $500 on eBay in a year.

Maybe people want an easy way to play classic games without having to mess about with linux and pirating games.

This. I've had every NES and SNES game in ROM form since the mid to late 90s when NES and SNES emulation was blowing up.

I'd still buy a simple packaged system for my entertainment system that let me play those legally, without shelling out for a full fledged WiiU or Switch console that I have no interest in.

L.O.R.D

Maybe people want an easy way to play classic games without having to mess about with linux and pirating games.
some bundles are already have retro pie installed on them.
Also systems like retron you can't mess with the system,you can easily use your own games.

Harlock

I believe Nintendo regrets the NES Classic. In your very Nintendo bubble way, they thought that the product was going to have a limited market, because the VC on Wii is small. Never thought that the VC has weak sales because they charge 5/8 dollar per game, while the NES Classic is 2 dollars (hardware included).

And now they are all in red alert not knowing what to do with one product that is popular because is simple, good and cheap.

opoth

Banned
I really don't see piracy being the reason for ceasing production. It's not like they were planning on offering expansions or updates to the system, it was one and done. You still have to buy one in order to hack one.

There's far more dynamic solutions still offered up by Nintendo that are as easily exploitable that are capable of piracy and homebrew if people really want to play a full collection of NES ROMs.

If true, is there a company more tone deaf than Nintendo?

What are you suggesting? That they don't know it is succesful and there is still demand for it? Boy, they must be pretty tone deaf in that case I give you that.

There are reasons to do this and it is probably something to do with nes mini getting hacked.

I really don't understand this if true, the demand is still there, people are still lining up when they hear stores get stock and online they sell out in minutes.

You don't need a professional team to see there's still sky high demand for this product.

I really don't understand this if true, the demand is still there, people are still lining up when they hear stores get stock and online they sell out in minutes.

You don't need a professional team to see there's still sky high demand for this product.

Mattrick.jpg

We have a product for you. It's the switch

I wouldn't take this at face value. This is so strange if true. These things are going to be $500 on eBay in a year.

I mean I know rep's aren't always 100% right, but it's clear Nintendo is 100% push Switch mode at this point even if you don't work at retail why push out both a $60 nostalgia toy and a $300 brand new console?

Perhaps the Classic was only produced as a way to boost Nintendo's profile ahead of the Switch announcement. Now it no longer serves that purpose. Only time will tell if it was a good move.

GlamFM

Banned
Every news outlet is probably trying to confirm this right now.

I guess we´ll have something more official in an hour our so.

I believe Nintendo regrets the NES Classic. In your very Nintendo bubble way, they thought that the product was going to have a limited market, because the VC on Wii is small. Never thought that the VC has weak sales because they charge 5/8 dollar per game, while the NES Classic is 2 dollars (hardware included).

And now they are all in red alert not knowing what to do with one product that is popular because is simple, good and cheap.

Or they learned that the games need to be cheaper to increase demand and will change the price on switch?

NES classic was always a weird idea for them and I also wonder if the profit margin is super thin and if companies like Konami demanded more for the use of their games once it became so popular.

Is it possible that they will re-release an upgraded NES mini that you cannot hack? I think people hacking it to put in their own ROMs made Nintendo change their plans w/ the NES mini and they will either bring out a new model that isn't hackable and maybe more games or leave it at EOL and focus on the Switch.

mindatlarge

Hopefully this is just for the Scandinavian region. If Nintendo really is stopping production/shipments everywhere, that is insane.

I guess I'll never get one at this rate. I wanted one for myself and one as a gift for someone (since before Christmas).

Meanwhile, we have people like this selling them for double the price. Come on Nintendo.

YmyeIGyl.jpg
How does one even acquire that many without being shady about it? My ass can't even track down one after months of trying. :I

Or they learned that the games need to be cheaper to increase demand and will change the price on switch?

NES classic was always a weird idea for them and I also wonder if the profit margin is super thin and if companies like Konami demanded more for the use of their games once it became so popular.

Yeah people forget those licence fees when they price up the cost of each unit.

YmyeIGyl.jpg
This picture is disgusting.

The hardware going into the NES classic is dirt cheap (others have mentioned an equivalent could be built for $10, minus the cosmetic shell), and the games themselves have little value to third party publishers.

There is no way there's a "small margin" on that, and even if there was it would still sell out at $99, given what scalpers are charging.

That makes sense.
It's sad that it was hacked so quickly and nintendo cannot simply update the firmware.
It's better for them to simply stop production for now at least.
They might come back to the idea at a later date but double down on stopping the piracy.

Why are people shocked?
There is a well known and easy to do piracy exploit that let's people add any n.e.s game for free.
You expect them to keep making and shipping something like this when they have no control over it without a brand new model.

pretty much this, why on earth would they want this thing widely available on the market when they are just about to launch a new console and re-launch a new virtual console for it.
They might make a newer model next year without the USB but even then it's risky for them as they can't update the software again if people find a new way to hack it.
I think they should 100% stop production, it would end up doing far too much damage in the long run.

You would rather no one have access to a nifty luxury device just so a few pirates don't put one over on Nintendo?

How does one even acquire that many without being shady about it? My ass can't even track down one after months of trying. :I

Yeah, I have no idea. I haven't seen a single one in the wild (not even someone at a register buying one who beat me to one), and I live in a decent sized city. Seeing pics like that just make me so mad.

If they fuck up the Switch launch as hard as they fucked up the NES Classic, I'm never buying another Nintendo product again. They don't deserve to be rewarded for this kind of continued incompetence. It's actually mind-blowing how bad they shit the bed on this stuff constantly.

Overtech

Neo Member
Was refreshing Amazon on day one to only have the page crash on me and be sold out immediately after. Never seen one in a store and I've been too slow at grabbing one online. Three months later and then I read this. Feels like I've been wasting my time and should just give up already.

Impotaku

Until i see direct statements from Nintendo themselves, this don't mean shit. But lol at all the people freaking out, seriously get a grip.

StereoVsn

Very odd if true.

On explanation I can think of is they didn't think it would sell to core gamers (they said as much in an interview), but just casuals/for nostalgia like those Atari and Genesis units you see in drug stores and what not for $30.

Once they realized it was selling to their core fanbase, maybe they panicked about it devaluing NES games in their eye and hurting their VC game sales among that crowd and leading to them not wanting to pay $5 for NES games, $8 for SNES etc.

That and/or they have some misguided view that people who have been interested in a $60 Classic will decide to shell out $300 for a Switch and $5 per NES game on the VC.
I think it's the latter and they are insane if they think people who are in the market for all in one system with 30 games for $60 will pay $300+ and $5 per game. That's just misunderstanding the target completely and of corse on par for Nintendo.

Top Bottom