• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(EU? Norway?) NES Classic Mini reaching EOL - production ceasing

GlamFM

Banned
OP is in Scandinavia... yet people think this applies everywhere.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

OP is in Scandinavia.... yet you think it applies to nowhere else.

Rootbeer

Banned
Shocking if true.

I feel very fortunate to have snagged one on bestbuy.com when it was in stock for like 5 minutes one time.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've been patiently waiting for them to come back in stock, since the order page crapped out on me when I had one in my cart that first batch.

I didn't play the scalper's games, and figured it'd come back in stock eventually.

If they're really ceasing production worldwide, this was some BS. As an 80's kid, I was very excited to get my hands on one. Nostalgia is nice!

Is there any chance that they are just releasing a new version with better piracy protection and/or the ability to download future titles?

I can imagine Nintendo not being too happy about everyone loading NES Roms onto the current version

It's not that stupid. As a brand moreso than product, you want to be desirable. Giving into being overly accessible and available on such a low level limits your desirability in the long run. It's a game of itself.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this concept. It's almost like saying their products aren't good enough on their own merits, without having to manipulate people into clamoring for them by creating demand through these deliberately nefarious under-production schemes. I mean shit, PS4s are easily accessible and based on its sales doesn't seem to impact its desirability. Make shit that people want, at a price they feel is worth it and you probably got a winner on your hands.

Koppai

I boyght 3 and a famicom mini. Kept 1, sold 1, gave one to a friend. Havent even opened the Famicom. There is still demand why kill your product? Maybe they will make more for the holidays?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's so smart that it was my tipping point in choosing to no longer support Nintendo. The way they handled this thing confirmed to me that I just don't really need Nintendo anymore.

Your 1 lost sale means less than nothing compared to the increased percieved value of the brand and the sharp uptick in name recognition.

Like, it's not even close.

NES Mini is hacked and is used to play illegal ROMs.

I don't think Nintendo has much interest in supporting a heavy compromised device thats tempt people to download illegal ROMs.

Would not be the first dedicated gaming device that had been killed by pirates, and sadly it will not be the last.

daxgame

This is part of the 'building brand awareness and hype for the Switch' marketing blitz we've heard so much about. Completely and abruptly ending production on an under-produced $60 retro machine will now force consumers to rush out in waves to buy a $300 console.

yeah, sure
I can see orders of people going from a $60 retro console to the Switch because one isn't available anymore

come on...

I highly doubt this is true. It's still a hot seller regardless if its being scalped. Why would they stop producing Mini NES when it sells?

sw26

Still yet to see one in person. UK here.

In fact I don't even remember seeing them online after launch day.

Sulik2

Nintendo is absolutely this stupid. Their shareholders really need to revolt and get competent management on their board. Just fire everyone who has made a single top level decision at Nintendo from five years into the Wii on.

EYEL1NER

Count me in the "I haven't seen one in the wild anywhere since launch" camp. I did see two off-brand controllers for it at a Walmart three weeks or so ago, next to a banner advertising the Classic. That's all though.
I still want one but I'm not going to sit on CAG refreshing all day and calling GameStop multiple times asking if they got a resupply.

Nintendo might as well just make 1 SNES mini and sell it to Martin Shkreli. It sends the same message and it will save everybody a lot of time and effort trying to find one.

I work at Wal-Mart in NA, this is what I've heard from my Nintendo rep as well

When I asked if they gave a reason it has to do with the Switch VC and not wanting it to conflict with that.

Nintendo is absolutely this stupid. Their shareholders really need to revolt and get competent management on their board. Just fire everyone who has made a single top level decision at Nintendo from five years into the Wii on.

You don't know how marketing works. In fact Nintendos decisions in the last two years are on point and the brand awareness of Nintendo is raised to stratosphere.

shanafan

I remember articles that came out in December of 2015 that Nintendo was already ceasing production of Marth, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager amiibos.

However, they eventually got new batches the following year in stores, and were readily available. Maybe not so much Villager, but Marth did see a nice refresh.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Wtf nintendo? I have been wanting one but they are still going for at least double or even triple the advertised price. Really want one and now they are ditching it?

L.O.R.D

Fuck it, I'll just build a retropie.
This.
i really don't understand why people who really wants the nes mini to play nes games,they can buy any retro console that play all their nes games and many systems at once.
There is even a raspberry pi3 bundle with controller for $60.
Can play all nes,SNES,PS1 and Sega Genesis games.

If it just for "collector" item,then you should get long time and don't wait for discount.

I remember articles that came out in December of 2015 that Nintendo was already ceasing production of Marth, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager amiibos.

However, they eventually got new batches the following year in stores, and were readily available. Maybe not so much Villager, but Marth did see a nice refresh.

There's a little bit of a difference between a game system and a glorified collectible.

llehuty

No way they do that when the games sell for $5 each on VC. It would be great, though!

Well, they could price it differently (10 games for 30$?) and release thematic cartridges. They could do mix and match with series instead of sticking to the NES. Like for example, a Mario cartridge or something like that.

Damn, the more I think of it, I would love having cartridges that fit on the Switch dock! And you would "only" need to buy the 90$ dock to be able to use them. Which is included if you buy a Nintendo Switch. I see this making total sense to Nintendo, tbh.

eXistor

I'm hearing the same. We're getting one more large shipment to fulfil any outstanding orders (that would have to be a big shipment mind you) and that's it.

I work at Wal-Mart in NA, this is what I've heard from my Nintendo rep as well

When I asked if they gave a reason it has to do with the Switch VC and not wanting it to conflict with that.

First off, based on your avatar, my man.

Second, regarding this news, goddammit.

Is this what I get for waiting patiently? I hope public backlash is enough for them to walk this back.

shanafan

There's a little bit of a difference between a game system and a glorified collectible.

But the Classic NES is a pretty simple design. It's not near the level of a Switch or a PS4.

My comment pertains more to this idea that Nintendo was already ceasing production of a product so early, but yet, a refresh still did occur.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
This.
i really don't understand why people who really wants the nes mini to play nes games,they can buy any retro console that play all their nes games and many systems at once.
There is even a raspberry pi3 bundle with controller for $60.
Can play all nes,SNES,PS1 and Sega Genesis games.

If it just for "collector" item,then you should get long time and don't wait for discount.
Maybe people want an easy way to play classic games without having to mess about with linux and pirating games.

opoth

Banned
I really wanted one, just because. My Wii U is a full on multi-gen Nintendo arcade thanks to Retroarch, but there's just something about seeing expanded unofficial capabilities elegantly integrated into an official UI (I'm looking at you, unofficial localized VC Mother 3 channel)

BriGuy

That's a real punch in the dick if true. I love mine, but I don't think I've ever seen a product release as bungled as this one.

Top Bottom