• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[EU] PSN discounts: Batman Arkham Knight, The Last of Us, Retro titles & more

IvorB

Even EU PSN sale prices are crazy. Batman sale price is £39.99 when the regular price is £34.43 on Amazon.

zakujanai

Why is this sale so hidden? There isn't a tab on the store that collects them or anything. If I could browse these I'd almost certainly buy a few games. If I have to rummage through the entire site I probably won't bother.

Why is this sake do hidden? There isn't a tab on the store that collects them or anything. If I could browse these I'd almost certainly buy a few games. If I have to rummage through the entire site I probably won't bother.

The store hasn't updated fully yet. There will be a category for it later.

Is Sonic Adventure 1 + 2 any good?

Honestly? For the price they're going for, you might as well take the plunge. SA2 in particular has a lot of really great moments, though it's brought down by a lot of really bad ones. It has imo one of the best soundtracks of all time, too.

SA1 isn't as good, but it's kind of endearing.

WITHE1982

So for those who played,

Is the Cole chapter from ISS Legendary Edition worth the added cost?
With it I'm 1€ short on funds for Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate Edition so it's pretty important to me.

Not really IMO. You get an extra 4 or 5 really short missions with some back story on Cole that's not really that great.

You do get his jacket though which is pretty sweet but it's really not the kind of add-on I'd go out of my way to get.

daxy

PSA: Mind that most of the PSone classics are the 50hz PAL versions. This means that they're not running at full speed like its designers intended, unless they inherently had a workaround for this. If you see the US flag in the top left, you're good in most cases though there are exceptions so do Google it beforehand. Symphony of the Night, for example, does not run at full speed and has both slowed down gameplay and music. I guess it's one way of playing them, but it does not do justice to these games at all.

oni-link

PSA: Mind that most of the PSone classics are the 50hz PAL versions. This means that they're not running at full speed like its designers intended, unless they inherently had a workaround for this. If you see the US flag in the top left, you're good in most cases though there are exceptions. Symphony of the Night, for example is not running at full speed and has both slowed down gameplay and music. I guess it's one way of playing them, but it does not do justice to these games at all.

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of those that are fine and those that are not? I got SoTN a few years ago on a sale, and knew it was slowed down, but it was ok, not unplayable, but it's a shame this is still a thing

Anyone know if the Crash games or Grandia are ok?

daxy

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of those that are fine and those that are not? I got SoTN a few years ago on a sale, and knew it was slowed down, but it was ok, not unplayable, but it's a shame this is still a thing

Anyone know if the Crash games or Grandia are ok?

If there's a list like that, I don't know about it. I don't have either game, so I can't say.

The Crash games are fine.

As for SotN I believe the version in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles is the way to go although you have to unlock it in a stupidly convoluted way.

Yeah, it's much better though the image quality is kinda shit. Blurry scaling.

Griss

PSA: Mind that most of the PSone classics are the 50hz PAL versions. This means that they're not running at full speed like its designers intended, unless they inherently had a workaround for this. If you see the US flag in the top left, you're good in most cases though there are exceptions so do Google it beforehand. Symphony of the Night, for example, does not run at full speed and has both slowed down gameplay and music. I guess it's one way of playing them, but it does not do justice to these games at all.

I learned this the hard way with FF7 and FF8. Those were the first and last two classics I bought.

Anyone got a list of the ones that actually work in 60Hz as PS1 Classics? Can you show me where that little flag symbol appears on the webstore? I don't see it.

EDIT: Ah, I see you just answered this.

Is Sonic Adventure 1 + 2 any good?

No. They were never very good, and have aged exceptionally poorly. But then, your mileage may vary depending on how much nostalgia you have for the series. I played and enjoyed the Mega Drive instalments, but have no nostalgic attachment to the series.

daxy

I learned this the hard way with FF7 and FF8. Those were the first and last two classics I bought.

Anyone got a list of the ones that actually work in 60Hz as PS1 Classics? Can you show me where that little flag symbol appears on the webstore? I don't see it.

EDIT: Ah, I see you just answered this.

It'll look like this (flag is in top left):

UC4qYEg.png
tXfldQI.png
as opposed to this:
QRCqgMS.png

Klonoa actually initially faultily ran at 50hz, but they later updated it to 60hz in case anyone had played it in the past and not gotten back to it.

eFKac

Not really IMO. You get an extra 4 or 5 really short missions with some back story on Cole that's not really that great.

You do get his jacket though which is pretty sweet but it's really not the kind of add-on I'd go out of my way to get.

Thanks man, will probably get the normal edition + Sniper Elite then :)

mf luder

Did the amazing spiderman 2 ever get patched to allow you to change the time of day or turn off the annoying hero/menace system?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
you're telling me it's gold but i reek of piss.

Batman: Arkham Knight
Was €69.99/AU$99.95/£54.99
Now €54.99/AU$77.95/£39.99

is not a deal sony :)

Battlefield 4 (PS4)
Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£24.99
Now €14.99/AU$22.95/£11.99
Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members

is a great deal tho

you're telling me it's gold but i reek of piss.

Batman: Arkham Knight
Was €69.99/AU$99.95/£54.99
Now €54.99/AU$77.95/£39.99

is not a deal sony :)

Battlefield 4 (PS4)
Was €29.99/AU$39.95/£24.99
Now €14.99/AU$22.95/£11.99
Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members

is a great deal tho

Battlefield 4 is not that great because they aren't including Premium Edition, which has been €30 on the sales it has been on (and it has been on sale a lot!).

Batman isn't Sony's fault. Even Steam has shitty "discounts" for new games, retail copies are far cheaper.

oni-link

It'll look like this (flag is in top left):

UC4qYEg.png
tXfldQI.png
versus the regular edition:
QRCqgMS.png

Klonoa actually initially faultily ran at 50hz, but they later updated it to 60hz in case anyone had played it in the past and not gotten back to it.

So all the non USA flag games are 50hz?

Spukc

Battlefield 4 is not that great because they aren't including Premium Edition, which has been €30 on the sales it has been on (and it has been on sale a lot!).

Batman isn't Sony's fault. Even Steam has shitty "discounts" for new games, retail copies are far cheaper.

sorry i offended your holy deity sony :(
you are correct sony has 0 influence of the prices in it's own store.

battlefield for 15 is a steal not everybody plays all the maps online or even WANT to play online ;)

This deal on PS2 games is going to go great with the new hard drive I've finally put in my PS3.

Assuming that I actually get to finding out what's on sale. Shouldn't buy any more SMT games as I've got both of the Digital Devil Saga games to play, but more SMT games that aren't Persona would be nice to expand my RPG horizons.

Is Nocturne even on the store? I can't find it.

daxy

Above, Duster posted that Crash Bandicoot for example is fine which does not have the US labeling. The thread he linked may be helpful for you. You'll have to look for info on various forums for each game you're interested in, I'm afraid.

No the US flags just mean that it's literally an ISO of the US NTSC version and is guaranteed 60Hz.

Every other game is either 60Hz (best), optimized 50Hz (still good) or slowed down and squished 50Hz depending on how the game was originally released in PAL regions and the store obviously doesn't tell you so you have to find out through other means.

NinjaBoiX

Why is The Last Of Us DLC for PS4 on sale?

Isn't the only way to buy it on PS4 as the Remastered Edition that includes it all on the disc anyway?

oni-link

No the US flags just mean that it's literally an ISO of the US NTSC version and is guaranteed 60Hz.

Every other game is either 60Hz (best), optimized 50Hz (still good) or slowed down and squished 50Hz depending on how the game was originally released in PAL regions and the store obviously doesn't tell you so you have to find out through other means.

Ah I see, well it's a shame no one has complied a list, it will come in useful if they ever do add PS1 and PS2 support to PS4

I've played FFVII, FFIX and SoTN on PSN and I had a good time with them, and those are apparently all 50hz, so it's not the end of the world, just surely it's not too much to ask that they put the best versions of each game out digitally?

Ah I see, well it's a shame no one has complied a list, it will come in useful if they ever do add PS1 and PS2 support to PS4

I've played FFVII, FFIX and SoTN on PSN and I had a good time with them, and those are apparently all 50hz, so it's not the end of the world, just surely it's not too much to ask that they put the best versions of each game out digitally?

There isn't always a "best" version as sometimes the FIGS localized versions only exist in 50Hz. And that's how people know these classics.

Sony should just offer you a choice of which version you want, but Sony is Sony so they don't.

Spukc

I have never met anyone who would buy a Battlefield game to play single player. The campaign is terrible and I think it still corrupts your saves!

hey nice to meet you i play cod and bf for single player mostly :)
i threat them as mindless 90ties action flicks .

i don't play those games online because anonymity makes people giant assholes.
i do sometimes play against bots and couch coop .
but that's about it.

hohoXD123

This deal on PS2 games is going to go great with the new hard drive I've finally put in my PS3.

Assuming that I actually get to finding out what's on sale. Shouldn't buy any more SMT games as I've got both of the Digital Devil Saga games to play, but more SMT games that aren't Persona would be nice to expand my RPG horizons.

Is Nocturne even on the store? I can't find it.

It's called Lucifer's Call instead for EU.

Jazzem

I noticed EA Replay was on sale, is it a decent compilation?

EDIT: Wait, never mind, I forgot no EA PSP games are Vita compatible. Guess they won't get my money then :D...

The arcade near my house has a copy of Arkham night in the ufo machine. If I was sure I could win it, I think 50 cents would be an acceptable price.

Ban Puncher

Who was the dumb fuckstick that redesigned the PS3 store so now there is no convenient PS1 or PS2 menu? As if that shitty place needed to be any more shittier. The PSN website is just as baffling.

MUnited83

For you.
Why is The Last Of Us DLC for PS4 on sale?

Isn't the only way to buy it on PS4 as the Remastered Edition that includes it all on the disc anyway?
If you mean the Left Behind DLC, its a standalone DLC that can be played without buy TLOU.
The others are microtransaction pack dlcs that are not included with the Remastered edition.

Who was the dumb fuckstick that redesigned the PS3 store so now there is no convenient PS1 or PS2 menu? As if that shitty place needed to be any more shittier. The PSN website is just as baffling.

The new store was solely designed to sell you the big games like Battlefield and GTA through huge ads and nothing else.

If you're a big enough nerd that you want classics Sony probably thought that you could find them yourself :p

Tizoc

Arc the Lad 1 2,50€
Arc the Lad II 2,25€
Arc the Lad III 2,50€

Are these games any good ?

Yup classic RPG goodness.

The Crash games are optimised so should be fine if you're not a perfectionist, there's some more info in this thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892280&page=2

As for SotN I believe the version in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles is the way to go although you have to unlock it in a stupidly convoluted way.

Just get the game's save data and copy pasta hem to your Vita.
If you don'tknow the name of thegame's save data on your Vita, just copy it to your PC, then replace it with the save data hat has eveerything unlocked.

SCEE incompetence at its peak: for once it's not a shitty EA DLC sale and they can't be arsed to list all the fucking games.
I already owned a lot of that stuff but I still got a crapload of games. Man, if these PS1/2 classics become PS4 compatible soon, things are going to be fantastic.

Arc the Lad 1 2,50€
Arc the Lad II 2,25€
Arc the Lad III 2,50€

Are these games any good ?
Never got very far into III, but II is a fantastic JRPG, while I is essentially a prologue to II. I is a short (6-8h) game but you can import your save into II, which adds additional scenes.
Short version: get them all.

Top Bottom