• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean |OT| "Don't fight it, feel it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Episode 14

My mind has been fucked with by this episode by many scenes.
Mostly I don't get Naru's actions or why she's
siding with Truth
, and the thing about
Ao's sister
is just as much of a mindfuck.
The scene in the air that linked to the first E7? Nice little tug I felt in my heart.

Episode 14

My mind has been fucked with by this episode by many scenes.
Mostly I don't get Naru's actions or why she's
siding with Truth
, and the thing about
Ao's sister
is just as much of a mindfuck.
The scene in the air that linked to the first E7? Nice little tug I felt in my heart.
Naru is siding with Truth because she thinks that he rescued her in the Scub Coral explosion ten years ago. But her goal is still unsure.

-Minsc-

Episode 14

OK, I caved and watched it.

Is my mind fucked like I was lead to believe? No.

Do I have a clue as to what is going on? No.

It may be time to subscribe to the Stargate SG-1 method of time travel. When events of a pervious point on the timeline are changed the future is not altered. Instead a new branch is created. As a result there are "prime" and "alternative" universes. Or to be more accurate, in SG1 there's an infinite number of parallel universes and it's possible to transverse between them. I would not be the least bit surprised if there's a combination of both time travel and parallel universes at work in AO. Something from the original series, which has been on the back of my mind, is the Coralians were shown to have arrived on Earth in a time period close to modern day. If I heard Naru right that hasn't arrived yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For the rest of my post I'm typing in point form. It's too hard putting stuff together otherwise.

-The Scub Coral on AO Earth has travelled from the year 12XXX to the past?
-From my understanding of the original E7 there was no scub coral on earth until the Coralians arrived.
-Secrets have been documented throughout mankind's history (illustrations from the 1700's were shown). In the past would they be accompanied by Scub coral?
-Ao and Naru had visions of Eureka. Could those have been messages from someone/thing other than Eureka?
-There's more but I'm tired of working my brain.

Bring on next week!

Dead

well not really...yet
well uhhh...that was an episode

Its like every time you think you grasp where this show is going, the next episode just turns everything upside down again...lol

New OP is nice though.

duckroll

New OP is nice though.

Here's what I posted about the OP in the anime thread. I feel it's lacking.

Eureka Seven AO - Opening 2

This opening is storyboarded and directed by Yasushi Muraki. He's the special effects director of the series, and basically the guy who plans and animates the more elaborate action sequences so far. I like the guy a lot as an effects animator. He has a great sense of action flow and motion, as well as a great flair for making something feel really fast, dynamic, and exciting. The problem is, I don't think he's a very good director in general.

He hasn't really directed much, as he is primarily an animator. He did direct the Halo Legends short called Prototype though, which was also animated by BONES. I think both that short and this E7AO OP exhibit similar weaknesses in direction. There are some really solid individual cuts, and the general concept of the action is extremely sound. But the overall composition of the entire piece is lacking.

Muraki shows a lack of understanding in how to direct something like an experienced film maker, or someone who has a natural understanding of film language. Instead he focuses on what he knows best - good action and effects animation, and then fills the rest of the piece with stuff which feel generic and by the books, without making the piece feel unique or special in any way.

I think this is a good example of how some animators are better suited to directing and some are better suited to just staying with animation.

hteng

Banned
the pace is horrible in ep 14, its just a mish mash of events that barely made sense.

and when did the seven swell even happened, it wasnt there in ep 13, then magically it's there in ep 14, and somehow Ao just knows it'll send Eureka back to the future.

Stark

Banned
Really nice episode, lots of good surprises. Like how they answer some and open up more.

Sad to see Eureka go in the first half. Interesting to see the Nirvash in some haunting-like presence as it seems destroyed. Brought a tear to my eye when Ao was trying to get a hold of Eureka. dat fanservice.

Ao's
sister I think is Elena. It all points to her with her issues and those visions. How she also seems to have a very delicate relationship with Eureka.

@duckroll:
was under the impression that the Nirvash Eureka goes with would be operating on its own.
o_o

Oh and nice send off to DAYS.

-Minsc-

Some thoughts.

-The Eureka giving birth to AO said Renton was fighting to protect them.
-The Eureka who is likely carrying Elena gave no indication Renton is "fighting".
-The secret which appeared at the times Elena Eureka and Ao Eureka leave look to be the same. If the opening didn't give it away, there were various other indicators this secret is Truth.

Now, for convoluted theories:

-Since we know time travel is involved, the "Truth" secret which shows up in episode 14 may be it's first appearance.
-The "Truth Head" manipulates mankind.
- The Truth Head reforms it's body and, for some unknown reason, travels roughly 10,000 years to the future. There it wreaks all sorts of havoc. This would explain Renton's need to fight and the apparent destruction shown in Elena's visions.

-At some point in time Eureka travels with a young Elena to the past. Either to spare her from the destruction or to give her a Trapar rich environment to grow in (Eureka mentioned something about that when speaking with Ao. If I recall, at the end of the original E7 trapar no longer exists or not in very high concentrations. I find this option to be more likely.)
-When pregnant with Ao, Eureka once again heads back to the past along with the Mark I (or what ever it's called). This is in order to raise Ao in a Trapar rich environment. A Coralian/human crossbreed may require the Trapar to grow and develop until they reach adulthood.

-Two years after Ao's birth the events of Eureka's disappearance transpire. Non-humanoid Truth, for yet another unknown reason, travels to the past in order to confront Eureka.
-Eureka escapes with the Quartz.
-Somehow Naru shows up and protects Truth with her pink shit.
-Due to this Truth gains his humanoid form then proceeds to do what he does up until the events of episode 14.

OK, I'm not even going to proofread that. It likely doesn't make any sense anyway. :p

trejo

Eureka Seven AO 13-14

As tends to always be the case whenever
time travel
is involved this has become an even more convoluted mess of a plot than it was before. Naru, Truth and Elena are all terrible characters and all this cryptic wink-nudge bullshit does absolutely nothing for me.

At least the music's still great.

duckroll

Hey motherfuckers. Yoshida is STILL working on E7AO, BITCHES! He finished his work on ep15 (sounds like a major or at least very important climatic scene) and ep16 (he did a small bit of supervision work), now he's working on ep17 (he's doing part of the animation direction) and ep13 (DVD/BD animation retakes). FUCK YEAH!!!

Jarmel

Banned
Hey motherfuckers. Yoshida is STILL working on E7AO, BITCHES! He finished his work on ep15 (sounds like a major or at least very important climatic scene) and ep16 (he did a small bit of supervision work), now he's working on ep17 (he's doing part of the animation direction) and ep13 (DVD/BD animation retakes). FUCK YEAH!!!

Wait, Bones modifies their episodes for BD release compared to TV? I thought studios only did that if they were Shaft or had censor issues.

Great news though. Hopefully they get more of the old staff.

duckroll

Wait, Bones modifies their episodes for BD release compared to TV? I though studios only did that if they were Shaft or had censor issues.

Pretty much every single studio does it, just at varying levels. Sometimes it's only for select episodes where they have stuff they want to touch up on, sometimes it's just slight compositing and effects they improve on, etc. Shaft is just the most noticeable because their on air work is so bad that the home video release is usually a HUGE difference. Most people don't even notice the subtle improvements made on most home video releases, but they're there.

Dynedom

All caught up. I don't like the new OP either. Escape was perfect, imho.

Lots of questions and I'm cringing at the introduction of time travel. Here's hoping for the best. The original story for me was always about Eureka and Renton's relationship than anything else. Let's hope a convoluted plot doesn't end up sealing away the character driven stories in this series. =(

Dead

well not really...yet
When you think back to it, its pretty crazy just how amazingly perfect DAYS was.

Dat opening orchestration.

When you look at the countless shows that Sony music provides bands for to do the OP and EDs, so many of them you cant help but feel the disconnect, like this is just some random song that was provided to the show, but E7 really hit the jackpot in terms of the bands and songs it got, they just magically synched up to the show so well. Wonder what the actual process was back then.

Wait, Bones modifies their episodes for BD release compared to TV? I thought studios only did that if they were Shaft or had censor issues.

Bones went back and redid some scenes for the original E7's DVD release.

duckroll

Eureka Seven AO - Episode 15

It's nice that they slowed the pace down just a tad bit to give the story a bit of a breather. But it doesn't look like it's going to last for long though. They've laid the groundwork for another major episode next, and I really liked the Muraki Circus action this week.
It's a bit different from the norm, and there was some cool subtle animation in how Nirvash was trying to evade shit. Ao still doesn't have the full skills that Renton did, so it's nice to see him "fail" at fully evading all the lasers too.

The next episode is going to be pretty important to the on-going direction of the second half of this series, and I can't wait to see where it goes. Unfortunately it's going to be a THREE week wait because of the Olympics. Wtf?!?! >_<

Epcott

Episode 15 was good...

But I'm getting overwhelmed by the story. I'm not sure my mind can keep up. The part with the
Secret finally speaking through the hack freaked me out
. So is Elena confirmed to be Eureka's daughter, or is it misdirection?

Articalys

Here's something I'm wondering about during episode 15:
what were Hannah and Gazelle talking about right before she got on the train
? Maybe it was just the translation, but I couldn't figure it out.

duckroll

Here's something I'm wondering about during episode 15:
what were Hannah and Gazelle talking about right before she got on the train
? Maybe it was just the translation, but I couldn't figure it out.

They were talking about the conversation she had with Eureka in ep13. I guess Hannah feels that if Ao does do something that changes the world as they know it due to his mother's wishes, if the truth is known that Eureka was willing to go to another world to give birth to her child just to protect him from harm, any mother in the world would understand and support her choice even if she turns out to be the "enemy".

One thing that's a little confusing about conversations in this show is that most of the time the characters themselves don't seem to be on the same page or fully aware of what is really going on, so they can turn out to be wrong in their assumptions or facts. Right now I'm not even sure if anyone other than Ao knows that Eureka was pregnant with a girl in the previous episodes. Gazelle might not have heard the entire conversation between Hannah and Eureka either, judging from what he was asking.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Episode 15

So that particular segment when the
Secret was talking with everyone using Georg as an interface, he was suddenly interrupted. He said 10 years ago there was a large Quarts on Okinawa. Then he proceeded to say that 10 years on that quartz- and cut off there. That quarts was most likely processed and changed to what is now the Nirvash probably.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Can't help but feel like this show needs more than 9 more episodes. Wish it had a run as long as the original E7.

Jubern

Episode 15

Secret was talking with everyone using Georg as an interface, he was suddenly interrupted. He said 10 years ago there was a large Quarts on Okinawa. Then he proceeded to say that 10 years on that quartz- and cut off there. That quarts was most likely processed and changed to what is now the Nirvash probably.

Don't think so.
It was clearly established that the Mark I came to this world the way it is now, when Eureka came pregnant with Ao.

WTF at the three weeks wait?! This is going to be inbearable.

Jex

Eureka Seven AO - Episode 15

It's nice that they slowed the pace down just a tad bit to give the story a bit of a breather. But it doesn't look like it's going to last for long though.

I feel that the pacing in episode fifteen is the only time that I've felt an episode in this series had good pacing.

duckroll

I feel that the pacing in episode fifteen is the only time that I've felt an episode in this series had good pacing.

I dunno, I think the series has pretty great pacing on a whole. I like most of the characters, they took their time to develop a lot of the setting and relationships, and the plot twists are pretty great so far. It's one of the few shows I enjoy each and every week, and actually look forward to actively because it's exciting to see where they go next.

3 weeks? 3 weeks? Why. WHY. Especially because of the next episode preview I cannot wait. That's torturing.

Episode 15

I got the impression that
Ivica Tanovi&#263; interrupts the conversation at that part.

Fireblend

Banned
Just watched 13 and 14, these were my thoughts:

13: HOLY SHIT I CAN SEE THE LIGHT, THIS SHOW GOT AWESOME AGAIN.

14: Well, back to not having a clue about what the fuck's going on here.

duckroll

Here we go, staff credits for the upcoming episodes:

Episode 16
Script: Shinichi Inotsume, Shou Aikawa
Episode Director: Ikuro Sato
Storyboard: Kenji Nagasaki, Hitoshi Nanba (Namimi Sanjo), Tomoki Kyoda
Character Animation Director: Shigeru Fujita, Mutsumi Kadekaru, Satomi Kani
Mecha Animation Director: Kazuhiro Miwa

Episode 17
Script: Shou Aikawa
Episode Director: Yo Miura
Storyboard: Seiji Mizushima
Character Animation Director: Takaaki Izumo, Kouji Murai, Shousuke Ishibashi
Mecha Animation Director: Kenji Mizuhata

Episode 18
Script: Akiko Waba
Episode Director: Hisatoshi Shimizu
Storyboard: Katsumi Terahigashi
Character Animation Director: Hideki Yamazaki, Tomokatsu Nagasaku, Takahiro Komori
Mecha Animation Director: Kenji Mizuhata

Episode 19
Script: Shou Aikawa
Episode Director: Satomi Nakamura
Storyboard: Soichi Masui
Animation Director: TBA

An interesting note is that the writer for ep18 is a junior BONES writer who seems to have only been involved with a Gosick bonus Drama CD and the E7 spin-off manga (Save A Prayer) so far. This might be the writer's anime screenplay debut.

duckroll

Was Kakuto or whatever ever on the main credits page? I dont remember

Nope. Never. I think the proper reading of the pen name was supposed to be Bura Tobito accoridng to Aikawa. Totally non-standard shit. The only place you can find the name is in the credits for ep1-3. Nowhere else.

duckroll

The pre-production of E7AO seems pretty weird tbh. Aikawa has made certain comments about it on Twitter from time to time, and they give me the impression that while they had the greenlight to make the anime, the specifics weren't nailed down initially, and Aikawa was brought in to bring stability to the project.

He says that he wasn't the first writer to sign on to the show for example, and that Inotsume was attached to the project before he was. Yet he is the series editor, and he co-wrote ep2-3, and writes all the major episodes after that. This seems to indicate that Kyoda knew things weren't going well, and wanted a more experienced writer to come on board.

After what happened with the E7 movie... maybe it was the right thing to do.

Lain

Episode 15

With those shitty Olympics done, I finally sat down to watch episode 15.
Frankly speaking, this episode managed to confuse me some more. I find myself unable to take what the secret says as completely true and it confuses me more with the whole Naru/Truth deal.

Jubern

I gave it some thinking during those weeks too, and I think it helped me cool down and think more clearly about the situation.

Interestingly enough, the whole
"incorrect" world
plot now strikes me as something surprisingly similar to a certain another mechs series twist. Not to say it's bad, the connection is funny.

(I won't spoil the name of the series I'm talking about, it's pretty famous but said twist probably isn't known by most people)

Although I usually only watch animes in dub, I decided to watch this anyway because I couldn't resist (E7 is one of my favourite animes ever). And I'm glad I did - this show is GREAT!

Anyways, is it finally coming back today? or will it be back next thurs?

duckroll

Episode 16

Yeah, this show is turning into Lost. There's no way back now. It seems like from ep12 onward they had some sort of mandate to pack as many "stunning" plot twists in each episode just to keep the audience guessing. After 5 episodes of this, it's really getting stale. I'm tired of writers who feel the need to make the audience got "OMG! WTF!" every single week over and over, even when there are better ways to tell the same story. Zzzzz.

The mecha and effects animation this week was fairly good, but definitely not something which made the 2-week break feel worthwhile either. The episode on a whole felt very condensed, and rather disjointed. It's like they tried to pack two episodes worth of events into a single one, with no space for anything to really breath or develop. The character art is pretty poor this week too. Some of the wider shots of the characters looked really off, and in one scene Ao looked like he had some weird mutated hair. Meh.

Come on BONES, you can do better than this! Or maybe you can't anymore... :/

Dresden

Episode 16

Yeah, this show is turning into Lost. There's no way back now. It seems like from ep12 onward they had some sort of mandate to pack as many "stunning" plot twists in each episode just to keep the audience guessing. After 5 episodes of this, it's really getting stale. I'm tired of writers who feel the need to make the audience got "OMG! WTF!" every single week over and over, even when there are better ways to tell the same story. Zzzzz.

The mecha and effects animation this week was fairly good, but definitely not something which made the 2-week break feel worthwhile either. The episode on a whole felt very condensed, and rather disjointed. It's like they tried to pack two episodes worth of events into a single one, with no space for anything to really breath or develop. The character art is pretty poor this week too. Some of the wider shots of the characters looked really off, and in one scene Ao looked like he had some weird mutated hair. Meh.

Feels bad. We knew it was coming but it still feels bad.

Time to go down with the ship.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but I have read a few spoilers and, despite enjoying the series so far,
I grow increasingly wary that a plot contrivance will be introduced that might retroactively threaten the excellence of the world and characters of E7. Hopefully nothing of the sort will happen, because this show will be immediately dismissed if it does, much like the movie.
I still have a bit of faith that Bones knows what they're doing and that this will somehow have a satisfying conclusion, but they really need to answer some of the over-arching questions already, particularly those that could finally shed some light on the connection between this world and E7.
Bringing Renton into the story would be a really good start.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Episode 16

So... I'm watching Code Geass R2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom