• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

Ran rp

igo34dg7roj7d.png

Edit:

s4cmtgjb7.png

tumblr_m3xzh96v081r3gyujo1_500.jpg

While I'm not a fan of the dual shock (too small, bad triggers, etc), I'm not sure I want all that crap either. Biometrics is just another Vita back touch screen, something almost nobody would use that would increase the price of the system (and extra controllers)

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Not really too keen on Sony opting to put a screen on their controller, especially if it lacks functionality and won't be taken advantage of, much like Six Axis. Many games used the PS3's motion controls in rudimentary ways and honestly the most unique and useful way I've seen it implemented is in Folklore. I don't want an unnecessary reason for the price of both the console and the controllers to be jacked up. I'm fine with an alternative that takes the best parts of the Dual Shock and 360's gamepad

sol_bad

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how is it even possible to hold and use a controller effectively in games with one hand?

Yeah off tv play should really spread to every console even if it comes as an optional thing.

Very old video and it's very dark so hard to see the controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZDWOB6vLoAo#t=369s

Index finger for the face buttons and right analogue
Middle finger for the right shoulder buttons
Thumb on left analogue and d-pad
Pinky on the left shoulder buttons

Come on GAF, where are the artists? I'd like to see GAF concepts.

Sony needs to modify the controller to allow for more input options.

0000277.jpg

Was this not comfortable? That's lots of space to start adding stuff like a touch screen, one that isn't too predominant, but can be used for texting and other minor things.

Alternatively, I'd like to see an additional button or two. Would this not be beneficial over the competition?

It seems it's either a touch screen, or hybrid breakable motion controller. If you had to pick, which would you rather have? I cant see Sony abandoning the Move at this stage, I wonder if the tech is cheap enough to bundle Move along with the standard controller...

surly

Banned
Good! The Dualshock is awful. Any pad where your thumbs fall naturally on the D-pad and 4 face buttons is shit. It's not the late 90s any more.

So the controller might have biometics AND a touch screen, to go along with the rumored Orbis specs in the other thread. Also, Sony isn't at a place to be taking a huge hit on this system by selling it at a sizable loss....are we looking at five hundred ninety nine U.S. dollars again?

Wow, I absolutely nailed it a few weeks ago...

The more I think of it, the best possible controller would basically be two nunchuck move controllers that attach and break apart from a central touch screen (with back touchpad).

-Same functionality as the Wii U (I.e., play PS4 games on screen only if desired, no lag, or used in conjunction with TV.

-Better design than the Wii U (break apart nunchucks allowing for motion control integrated already rather than being entirely separate), not nearly as bulky - size would be about the same as a Vita screen.

-Ability to download and play Vita games on PS4, have them stream from PS4 console to controller. Effectively this puts a Vita inside of every PS4 sold, allowing Vita games to be sold to a potentially much larger market, and Sony isnt tethering the Vita's success to just one device. Obviously this wouldn't work outside of your own home, but lets be honest here -- most people play their Vitas at home (in western markets at least). This would be a brilliant business move for the Playstation ecosystem and would ensure support for Sony's handheld system for the life of the PS4.

If Sony doesn't make this vision a reality then they are missing a huge opportunity.

If this rumor is true, then I can see EXACTLY what Sony is doing here. And it makes total sense. Opens up Vita's userbase immensely, essentially guaranteeing that system has a long life even if the individual hardware sales never amount to much....Sony is looking to sell Vita software, and this is exactly the gateway they need to accomplishing that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

If this rumor is true, then I can see EXACTLY what Sony is doing here. And it makes total sense. Opens up Vita's userbase immensely, essentially guaranteeing that system has a long life even if the individual hardware sales never amount to much....Sony is looking to sell Vita software, and this is exactly the gateway they need to accomplishing that.

If so, they will sell one less PS4.

<------------------------

As less money as possible being spent on the controller. I don't need to pay some stupid amount for some gimmicky touchpad bulcrap.

The whole transformer controller could be cool as hell though.

I think it would be a mistake. You can't go high on tech and add an expensive gimmicky controller in this economy unless you are prepared to eat a shit ton of money to make this whole package affordable, which Sony can't do. In that case, you are looking at at least a $499 entry point (probably more) which would be idiotic.

lol. why?

Also, are people really thinking this type of controller is going to be that expensive? It's honestly not...Sony could still sell the machine for $399

It's not just about the expense. In the (admittedly limited) time I've spent with the Wii U I've realised that I really don't like splitting my attention between the TV and the controller. Maybe I haven't been conditioned by endlessly messing with my phone whilst I'm doing other things.... but whatever it is, it doesn't work for me.

Beyond that, I don't want them wasting any of that precious power on the crappy little screen in front of me. Stick it all on my monster screen and make it glorious.

Finally. Whilst the Wii U controller is ok to use, for me it's no-where close to the PS3 and 360 controllers. Adding that screen will mess with ergonomics no matter what you do to avoid it.

You're right though, they may have to do it to save the Vita.

lol. why?

Also, are people really thinking this type of controller is going to be that expensive? It's honestly not...Sony could still sell the machine for $399

Break apart controller with touchpad? What you think something like that would be cheap?

Look at the touchpad on the Wii U. Console is 350$ because of it.

iceatcs

Break apart controller with touchpad? What you think something like that would be cheap?

Even Xbox next rumour to have screen or something on it too. I think we will get quite high price from both.

It's not just about the expense. In the (admittedly limited) time I've spent with the Wii U I've realised that I really don't like splitting my attention between the TV and the controller. Maybe I haven't been conditioned by endlessly messing with my phone whilst I'm doing other things.... but whatever it is, it doesn't work for me.

Beyond that, I don't want them wasting any of that precious power on the crappy little screen in front of me. Stick it all on my monster screen and make it glorious.

Finally. Whilst the Wii U controller is ok to use, for me it's no-where close to the PS3 and 360 controllers. Adding that screen will mess with ergonomics no matter what you do to avoid it.

You're right though, they may have to do it to save the Vita.

Personally, I don't mind the Wii U approach, for all the fault's the system has, the tablet controller is pretty decent. It's a little too big for my tastes, but other than that it serves a purpose.

I don't think most devs are going to split your attention too much on the tablet screen. It would provide a nice way to bring up OS social features or the PSN store on the tablet rather than the HDTV (though, preferably you could do it either way).

More importantly I think it's an important strategy for Vita above all else.

Cheap? No, but not that much more expensive than a regular controller. Screens are dirt cheap these days.

I think Wii U costs $350 because Nintendo likes to profit off of hardware....and even though people say Sony can't afford to take a loss, I'm willing to wager they'll allow a $25-50 hit per console upfront. Nothing compared to PS3/PS2 losses of old, but enough to bring the price down to more reasonable levels.

Cheap? No, but not that much more expensive than a regular controller. Screens are dirt cheap these days.

I think Wii U costs $350 because Nintendo likes to profit off of hardware....and even though people say Sony can't afford to take a loss, I'm willing to wager they'll allow a $25-50 hit per console upfront. Nothing compared to PS3/PS2 losses of old, but enough to bring the price down to more reasonable levels.

2 moves and a touchpad (don't forget the camera)+ rumored specs, sound like losing 100$ at 399$ easy.

Even Xbox next rumour to have screen or something on it too. I think we will get quite high price from both.

Gimmicks are gonna ruin next gen if so. Unless it's some badass shit like VR, it ain't worth it people.

Any sort of break apart controller sounds inherently awful, flimsy and bad

Best controller would be a smaller WiiU like device, basically a Vita with handles and which also allows Vita to be used as a secondary controller. Failing that, just a regular controller is fine.

I agree completely with your sentiment, but the Wii U is a $300 machine.

(Insert joke about how incomplete the $300 model is here, which it isn't.)

Bad7667

What exactly is the use of biometrics?
What I imagine the uses of the biometrics could be things like having the AI use the information to adjust the way they behave. Similar to the AI director in l4d, which can respond to how well the player is doing and decide to hold back on the items, or having horror games using the biometric for finding the perfect moment to have a jump scare.

Its really interesting to think of a game like Amnesia having the ability to really fuck with the player based on whatever info the biometrics receive.

I'd love for this to be true, hate the Dual Shock 3 and love the Wii U Gamepad.

That being said...that thing's frickin' expensive. Hope we aren't looking at another "599 US Dollars" scenario because of it.

Well I was expecting that at least one of the two would duct-tape a touchscreen onto the controller, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything similar about the 720 controller tbh.

I'd love one of the two to go with a haptic touchscreen but can't see it happening unfortunately, too expensive to do I reckon.

If both Sony and Microsoft add a touchscreen to their controllers they're going to have to use a different way of synching between the telly and the controller afaik because Nintendo patented their method, so we could end up with input delay in those other two systems.

Will make portability between all 3 systems a great deal easier too if they basically have the same control schemes in common, especially given that Nintendo have finally adopted a GPU with traditional programmable shaders and an architecture similar to the PS4 and 720. You might even have the Wii U being the lead platform like the PS2 was during the 6th gen, it's going to be the least powerful out of the three and have the largest marketshare so it would make sense for developers to have the Wii U as the lead platform and supplying up-ports to the other two rather than the other way around and have the PS4 or 720 supplying a down-port to the Wii U.

You might even have the Wii U being the lead platform like the PS2 was during the 6th gen, it's going to be the least powerful out of the three and have the largest marketshare so it would make sense for developers to have the Wii U as the lead platform and supplying up-ports to the other two rather than the other way around and have the PS4 or 720 supplying a down-port to the Wii U.

That sounds like an absolutely terrifying nightmare. PLEASE. no. No, just no. If Wii U is considered a lead for multi-plarform games, it should die now.

Foil

You might even have the Wii U being the lead platform like the PS2 was during the 6th gen, it's going to be the least powerful out of the three and have the largest marketshare so it would make sense for developers to have the Wii U as the lead platform and supplying up-ports to the other two rather than the other way around and have the PS4 or 720 supplying a down-port to the Wii U.

Yeah, good luck with that.

AzaK

The split screen thing would be GENIUS for Sony. They can sell all manner of attachments to go between the two. Even memory stick readers! $PROFIT$

AAK

I wouldn't mind something like this but a little bigger, complete with bigger sticks...

ERZouWz.jpg

I hate those small buttons, Makes playing fighting games really hard. D-pad is still solid though. I hope they keep the dpad and buttons the same as the Dual Shock controllers.

I don't think either companies are going to have controllers that will bump up the cost or the loss at which they sell their consoles for, at least not significantly.

Top Bottom