• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

rdrr gnr

I wouldn't mind something like this but a little bigger, complete with bigger sticks...

ERZouWz.jpg
Sexy.

I don't think either companies are going to have controllers that will bump up the cost or the loss at which they sell their consoles for, at least not significantly.
Neither company is going as cutting edge as last generation in terms of hardware, it seems. It's not unimaginable that they would make consoles with extra functionality in the controls. 720 will have Kinect 2.0 for example - so what will PS4 have?

I wouldn't mind something like this but a little bigger, complete with bigger sticks...

ERZouWz.jpg

This is pretty much exactly what I expect.

But obviously the sticks will be bigger, depress, and feel more like console analog sticks (Vita's do a decent job for a portable, but they're no substitute for the real thing)

Download Vita games on your Orbis, stream them to your Orbis controller. Or stream PS4 games to your controller.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! I'm guessing May, as the other Sony employee had said.

I dunno, so much has leaked recently about the PS4....might as well get it over with and show the hardware officially to avoid speculation, to garner early excitement, to allow developers to talk about their projects more freely, and so forth.

I can only hope that it isn't just a change in shape and they do end up adding something to it. If the difference will only be cosmetic, they may as well keep it the same.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder how much a controller with a screen would cost.

I would assume that they would have a lower cost option available for playing your PS1 and PS2 classics on. Probably just a regular dual shock?

Ashes

Banned
Vita's battery life isn't too shabby, and it has a lot more processors than this controller will have.

I don't think the battery life will suck. Even with a touch screen, it's still pretty low power without all the processors and whatnot.

Compared to the DS3 and x360 pad I mean.

Reallink

Why do you guys want a screened controller? It doesn't seem to be adding much if anything to the experience with the Wii U. Looking forward, 90% of the use seems like it's going to be mini-maps and menu/inventory pecking. It just seems like a huge expenditure for relatively little gain.

I am guessing Microsoft will try to copy this controller now the word is out. Who agrees with me? Their next controller will also have biometric sensors and a lcd :p

Pandemic

Is it rare for game developers to discuss their next-generation games when the next-gen consoles haven't been announced?

Razgreez

Why do you guys want a screened controller? It doesn't seem to be adding much if anything to the experience with the Wii U. Looking forward, 90% of the use seems like it's going to be mini-maps and menu/inventory pecking. It just seems like a huge expenditure for relatively little gain.

The screen would likely not be used for major games but rather to improve accessibility and for use with applications and smaller, tablet/phone like games

Ashes

Banned

Dual screens have their benefits if ds and 3ds are anything to go by.

Edit: but you make a very good point. Money to use ratio, if this thing isn't less than £30, why not go for ram etc? Only thing I can think off is PS Mobile.

vivftp

It would be cool if Sony could use the tech from this patent that would allow the controller to heat up and cool down depending on what you're playing. Plus it'd be amazing for getting rid of sweaty palms :)

hotcold_23741_nphd.png

MrBS

Biometric sensors eh? Here we go guys. Biometric scans to prevent used game sales.

*puts on tin foil hat*

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

Finally another voice of reason. Having a screen is just another way to hike up the price of not only the controller but the console as well. This will not encourage social gaming in the slightest if I have to pay $80-$100 for a controller and Orbis will suffer for it. This is not the route that Sony needs to go also it's a blatant ripoff of yet another of Nintendo's ideas. Really don't want to hear that Sony weren't satisfied stealing motion controls from Wii now they'll take the screen of the WiiU as well?

We need a traditional controller. Still I do like the idea of accessing friend lists, netflix, crunchyroll, web browser and trophies from a screened controller. If it were to be the price of a traditional controller while making the necessary changes to the Dual Shock and XB gamepad I'd be all for it but that's a fool's dream.

Some things mentioned in the Sony patent... in summary, they can be used to more accurately determine or even predict the relationship between your fingers and the controller.

It also talks more in passing about potential applications in concert with eye gaze tracking, touch panels or touchscreens, and cameras for tracking fingers.

Hmmmm....

Would Biometric sensors be a way to mitigate Gaikai latency!?

Has this been brought up in the thread yet??? By trying to accurately "predict" hand movements, Gaikai could be receiving input information before the end user receives their own positive feedback after pressing a button.

Reallink

The screen would likely not be used for major games but rather to improve accessibility and for use with applications and smaller, tablet/phone like games

Why would that be desirable for a stationary console when everyone already has (or will have) phones/tablets? I mean if mobile is destined to kill consoles like so many are claiming these days, tacking on similar experiences is only going to take away from something that could set consoles apart. They're not going to stave off the mobile onslaught if that's what you were getting at, portability will always trump all for people looking for those types of experiences.

Afrikan

Hmmmm....

Has this been brought up in the thread yet??? By trying to accurately "predict" hand movements, Gaikai could be receiving input information before the end user receives their own positive feedback after pressing a button.

that's too deep dude.

Razgreez

Why would that be desirable for a stationary console when everyone already has (or will have) phones/tablets? I mean if mobile is destined to kill consoles like so many are claiming these days, tacking on similar experiences is only going to take away from something that could set consoles apart. They're not going to stave off the mobile onslaught if that's what you were getting at, portability will always trump all for people looking for those types of experiences.

Phones allow users to utilize applications - many of which are games
PCs allow users to utilize applications - many of which are games
Consoles allow users to utilize applications - very few of which are not games

Which one of the above markets has been in decline?

In order to compete in the current technology market a console manufacturer has to bring their product in line with what the market demands. The big budget games will/should always be the differentiating factor. That's what draws the consumer in but while they're there if they're not getting access to other applications they're used to (often addicted to using) they'll inevitably go back to the devices that offer them those applications or even use them while utilizing your product meaning split focus. If you can provide those applications yourself, sure they might still go back to their other devices when they're not near your product but when they are near it you will have their full attention. That's the holy grail for any technology company i.e. utilizing your devices all the time (or as much as possible) for everything

Ashes

Banned
Hmmmm....

Well, no. You need something measuring brain activity for that. Biometric feedback would probably measure heart rate.

ZaCH3000

First off, this is post number 1. Sony, please do us fans justice and create a controller that has rumble, triggers, great battery life, and is comfortable to hold. Also Sony, don't include the Eyetoy2 with every PS4, its an unnecessary cost. Bundle a headset (official Sony bluetooth preferred) instead for equipping each member of the online community with will prove beneficial.

Personally, I want Sony to include an OR type of product with the console but that is a long shot.

Ashes

Banned
I think the most expensive thing in a ps vita is the screen. By a wide margin too. So I wonder how big the screen will actually be.

@above: welcome. ;)

I have no idea what they're going to do and this is why I'm so excited. Microsoft gaining so much market share, particularly in NA, is going to force Sony to reconsider how they're doing things and I expect some surprising results. What I don't understand is that we're hearing about a controller that features a screen AND a break-apart controller. Can it be both? Would it be smart for them to completely abandon the Move tech and just focus on a controller that has a screen built-in?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well, no. You need something measuring brain activity for that. Biometric feedback would probably measure heart rate.

Or skin conductance to try and map user mood/emotion.

But if you could map nerve activity at a point between your brain and your fingers, I think the theory is you could maybe use a model to predict finger motion. The patent talked about earlier describes being able to measure finger velocity and physical relationship between finger and controller/button (distance etc.) but I don't know if that's coming from nerve activity analysis or something else. I'm not sure if it would require sensors other than in the grips - for example, a wrist bracelet might be better for that? I'm not sure if it would require other types of sensor also. The patent doesn't describe how that works, and I'm not versed in what the state of the art is in that kind of work.

Something 'simpler' is more bankable.

So when would an actual, realistic, POSSIBLE next gen reveal date be?

The first thought that springs to my mind is late March. Not that I think so, but first plausible time frame imo. So, two months.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, just seeing this thread. What's confirmed, what's rumored, what's speculation, what's wild fanboy fantasies?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dang, just seeing this thread. What's confirmed, what's rumored, what's speculation, what's wild fanboy fantasies?

Eurogamer and CVG suggest:

- new design
- biometric sensors in grips or back
- lcd touchscreen

Eurogamer's info was 6 months ago. Both say that Sony has been iterating heavily, with lots of different ideas and designs and feature sets - so that's a caveat, things can change. Eurogamer says it's been updating on a monthly basis.

Persona86

Banned
I had a dream a couple of years ago (before Vita came out) about the NextBox and PS4 haha.

The PS4 console was black and basically had that sleek look that the Vita has, with a bit of silver etc. Basically just try to imagine what a Vita would look like if it was a console.

The NextBox was dark with Orange lights or something.

I hope the PS4 dream comes true, it looked goooooooood.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
LCD touchscreen allows asymmetric navigation, so you can find a Netflix movie to watch while someone else is finishing playing a game, or even before deciding to turn the TV on.

Plus search and typing would be easier and faster.

But if it was too small to keep costs down it might be unattractive or difficult to use. And if it is big (like vita size) then you start to want to stream the PS4 game to it like the wiiU and that could undermine vita.

Shtof

There won't be a screen on the controller, relax. SCE left that route open because of the Wii U, but when they now see it failing hard they'll be really happy that they can let it go, it would only add to the cost of the controller anyway.

How did the Dual Shock design go from being the best controller ever made in the PS2 gen to the worst in the PS3 gen when it didn't change except for the triggers?

ERZouWz.jpg

If they can produce these for sub $40 im okey with it.
If not and the 720 will also have such a controller next gen will not be for my cause shit will break at least 3~4 times with me.. :(

How did the Dual Shock design go from being the best controller ever made in the PS2 gen to the worst in the PS3 gen when it didn't change except for the triggers?

Standards change over time. For guys like me that have big hands Dual shock design right now is just to small but when i was smaller it would fit better.
Now with the 360 controller the Joysticks are well placed for me imo.

Top Bottom