• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DS and 3DS, particularly the former, have great game libraries. I don't think you can really argue with that.. Unless you only play first person shooters maybe? Otherwise they have basically everything else in droves.

AzaK

You are the real joke azak. I dont care for your complaint about the hardware. But the games were fine. Jesus Christ

Obviously 10's of millions of people thought so too, but from what I saw they were rubbish. I don't care for anime style angsty JRPG rubbish with walls of text. Real meaty western style games were few and far between. Then add in the iOS style touch games that they charges 10-40x more for and it was just taking the piss.

Obviously 10's of millions of people thought so too, but from what I saw they were rubbish. I don't care for anime style angsty JRPG rubbish with walls of text. Real meaty western style games were few and far between. Then add in the iOS style touch games that they charges 10-40x more for and it was just taking the piss.
Respect the quality azak 😤

The 3DS as it is now is shit all around. Battery, screen, games, online system, everything. I have owned a DS, DS Lite and 3DS. All are pieces of shit full numerous throwaway games at US$40 a pop. It's quite a joke really and a game machine for the naive who don't know better.

Wow. You sounds like a piece of shit.

kitsuneyo

Why do the two controller parts have to be connected together during TV use? Couldn't they be used like a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, one in each hand? I always found that very comfy.

AzaK

Wow. You sounds like a piece of shit.

Hahaha. OK, list a bunch of games. I'll research them and give you my opinion. Or do you have a problem with people thinking that a gaming machine, and it's games are crap? If you want to play on a machine that's archaic and made of ancient tech (even when it was new), along with an antiquated online that sells you games at 10x the cost that they'd be on another platform - be my guest.

Why do the two controller parts have to be connected together during TV use? Couldn't they be used like a Wii Remote and Nunchuck, one in each hand? I always found that very comfy.

They're supposedly two separate controllers. If the screen is docked, they won't be connected to each other.

Dascu

If it's not problematic, i still haven't seen a single mockup that doesn't have:

- ridicolously tiny controllers
- a basic concept of center of mass and why having a controller in your hand outside of the center of mass is a terrible, terrible idea.

Happy to be proven wrong though. As i said, i can see it with one controller, but two at each side just seems something out of shitty chinese ripoffs.

I feel the same way. The mock-ups so far look pretty, but either lead to a really big and wide tablet/handheld, or to really tiny controllers. Thickness is also an issue.

My idea would be that the extra controllers are actually part of the main screen of the handheld device. Or, to just use a clamshell design.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hahaha. OK, list a bunch of games. I'll research them and give you my opinion. Or do you have a problem with people thinking that a gaming machine, and it's games are crap?

I believe the problem people are having with your post is not your dislike of the DS/3DS but calling fans of them "naive".

AzaK

I believe the problem people are having with your post is not your dislike of the DS/3DS but calling fans of them "naive".

Well I do think there's a certain naivety to owning Nintendo machines, built up over many years. When they first came on the market they were all there was. It was new, exciting and the tech was awesome (Now you're playing with power). As the years went by Nintendo kept the same image and approach but their audience grew older. New children still came in but they, along with the older gamers were wanting more and moved to Sony. Nintendo went for another, young, impressionable and unsophisticated audience with Wii and DS, and it worked....until iOS came along. Then those young people realised they could get what they wanted for cheaper and Nintendo's approach didn't work any more.

Any toy maker relies on the fact that their audience isn't discerning. Doesn't mean that to that audience it's not "real entertainment" but older people do understand that there's a certain innocence and naivety to that.

orioto

Good Art™
Hahaha. OK, list a bunch of games. I'll research them and give you my opinion. Or do you have a problem with people thinking that a gaming machine, and it's games are crap? If you want to play on a machine that's archaic and made of ancient tech (even when it was new), along with an antiquated online that sells you games at 10x the cost that they'd be on another platform - be my guest.

I'd be curious what definition you have of a good game...

Well I do think there's a certain naivety to owning Nintendo machines, built up over many years. When they first came on the market they were all there was. It was new, exciting and the tech was awesome (Now you're playing with power). As the years went by Nintendo kept the same image and approach but their audience grew older. New children still came in but they, along with the older gamers were wanting more and moved to Sony. Nintendo went for another, young, impressionable and unsophisticated audience with Wii and DS, and it worked....until iOS came along. Then those young people realised they could get what they wanted for cheaper and Nintendo's approach didn't work any more.

Any toy maker relies on the fact that their audience isn't discerning. Doesn't mean that to that audience it's not "real entertainment" but older people do understand that there's a certain innocence and naivety to that.

Buying a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games is not naive, it's necessity. Believing that technical specs determine the worth of a product is naive.

Also, here's your list. I will expect your reasons as to why all of these are terrible promptly.

I dont know why, but you seem to be quite full of yourself....

Anyway, on topic: what if NX not only includes a dock but a "controller-shell" where you let the controller slide into?

Sandfox

Calling fans of the Wii and DS naive and unsophisticated is too much IMO.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
The 3DS as it is now is shit all around. Battery, screen, games, online system, everything. I have owned a DS, DS Lite and 3DS. All are pieces of shit full numerous throwaway games at US$40 a pop. It's quite a joke really and a game machine for the naive who don't know better.
Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Monster Hunter, and Bravely Default all throw away games. OK then.

El Topo

The DS and 3DS, particularly the former, have great game libraries. I don't think you can really argue with that.. Unless you only play first person shooters maybe? Otherwise they have basically everything else in droves.

Of course you can argue with that, depending on your taste.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be curious what definition you have of a good game...

Avatar would probably fit the bill.

It looks great and while the story has been told before it had that cinematic feel to it. It is nice when you can just watch a game play itself.

Left is the first look. Ride side is the tweaked. Maybe you like it now that it's closer?

vxQNibs.jpg

Only way I see it working like that is if you flip the positions of the right analog stick and the buttons. The buttons need priority. This is going to be primarily a Nintendo games machine and they don't use the right analog stick much for their games anyway. I don't think the speakers need to be there. That's something that should be integrated into the tablet.

Koren

This here is the very reason there won't be some magic home console coming any time soon. It goes against the whole philosophy of unifying development and make Nintendo more efficient.
I fully believe that the software catalog will be unified (from Nintendo at least). Although I don't understand how touchscreen will work (unless that means pointers controls come back, which I would welcome, maybe using the dock as sensor bar).

But that don't exclude, I think, a home-only version, slightly beefed-up so that it can run the games in 1080p@60, appearing a bit later. Think Vita TV+.

The only question would be whether Nintendo would allow 3rd-party to produce games that would only run on the more powerful version. I doubt it, but who know.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I get the desire for the device to have a small form factor and I agree, but no one is putting a handheld in their pocket any more. Heck, I'm surprised that anyone ever did. The only one small enough was the GBA Micro.

Having a DS Lite in my pocket right now. Yesterday it was a 3DS. Last week it was a Vita.

Vuze

Ok. One last mockup post. This time I played with the possibilites with the form factor and deattachable controllers. Hope it adds to the discussion.

I must say that after thinking a lot about the concept, something seems to be missing and as many have pointed there is a lot of things to figure out before an idea like dettachable controllers on a portable really becomes viable and appealing...however if any could come with a solution, that is Nintendo.

P,S. Thanks a lot for all the comments about the last mockup, that is what made me keep going.
This is some good looking shit right there.
Too bad that NX won't look nearly as sexy and won't have the same split controller design (which would double amazing as a comfy remote control for Netflix etc).

I have been following the new rumours with interest, if true and the idea is implemented well then we could end up with a device that will cover all types of games that the mainstream would play.

Nintendo Console/Handheld games.
Third-Party handheld games (Monster Hunter, Professor Layton, etc).
Current third-party games graphically scaled down to fit hardware (GTA, Fallout, etc).
Indie Games.
Mobile Games.

The only games that wouldn't be able to be played would be VR and that hasn't been proven that it will succeed long term as of yet.

Also if they create an operating system that runs apps like Netflix + build upon the Streetpass/Miiverse ideas.

If it gets close to achieving this then they have my money for sure.

dyergram

Considering MCV info that NX will be cheaper than most think, I think it's safest to assume there's no additional power in the dock itself.
I'd bet big bucks on two versions wether the big boy edition has extra power(not even sure if this is feasible) or just more plastic stands and stuff and a bigger hdd ala wiiu remains to be seen.

Portugeezer

That's the best design for a portable console with a quite comfortable and classic controller:

You only have to copy it and sell it with a dock/extra-controller, Nintendo.

The 2 removable controllers seem a lot like a bad idea to me.

Vita felt uncomfortable without some grips.

Metal B

That's his opinion. Give him your opinion on why he's "wrong", instead of calling him stuff.
If a person sounds like an ass, why should anybody put any effort in there answer? If you want your opinion to be taken serious, stop mocking others.

What goes around, comes around.

jdstorm

Banned
Precisely. If lots of people who buy it are playing it on their TVs a significant portion of the time, that makes it different than traditional handhelds. It's all in how it is used.

I'll be buying this to play the new Zelda, and the next big 3d mario, and the next big 3d metroid (hopefully). And I expect to spend most of my time playing them on my TV, So, for me, it will be a console more than a handheld. Someone else may use it mostly as a replacement for their 3DS and only occasionally plug it into the TV. For them, it will be more of a handheld. That's the definition of a "hybrid" machine,.

I'm not sure why people are having trouble with the term. .

You could almost describe it as a Cross over. A fusion of ideas. A NX

Beautiful mockup, but this thing seems uncomfortable as fuck.
Analog sticks and dpad/buttons CAN'T ABSOLUTELY BE lined-up.

Look at wiiu pad:

I think if you have enough grip room below the control area it's less of a problem, the small 3ds dpad is the worst for this but the xl and 2ds don't suffer as much.

A design where you have a fair bit of empty space at both the ends might work best. One thing about the Wii remote is it didn't have an edge mounted shoulder button that's on pretty much every other controller, which meant it didn't have to be designed around being able to wrap your finger over the end. If they did this again they could potentially put two trigger pads underneath that work symmetrically when horizontal.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I fully believe that the software catalog will be unified (from Nintendo at least). Although I don't understand how touchscreen will work (unless that means pointers controls come back, which I would welcome, maybe using the dock as sensor bar).

But that don't exclude, I think, a home-only version, slightly beefed-up so that it can run the games in 1080p@60, appearing a bit later. Think Vita TV+.

The only question would be whether Nintendo would allow 3rd-party to produce games that would only run on the more powerful version. I doubt it, but who know.

I was talking about a home console equal in power to PS4 Neo like some dream. That would practically mean either additional development time for ultra assets or dedicated development time for creating two versions of the same game for NX and NX Fantasy.

Cartho

I remain cautiously hyped. Not going to go full hype train until I properly see it, you know, actually working. Definitely some interesting ideas here. The ability to have a console in your bag which you can play on the move then plug into a friend's TV when you get there and carry straight on from where you left off is definitely tempting.

If they release it with an exclusive Pokémon Yellow remake with uber shiny graphics then I will throw money at them.

TLZ

Banned
I was talking about a home console equal in power to PS4 Neo like some dream. That would practically mean either additional development time for ultra assets or dedicated development time for creating two versions of the same game for NX and NX Fantasy.

The PS4 and Neo are 2 different machines that will play the same disc and have different assets and that's not an issue.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The PS4 and Neo are 2 different machines that will play the same disc and have different assets and that's not an issue.

The difference between PS4 and PS4 is not that big. The diference between NX and NX Fantasy would be.

Antagon

Me beef on the controller. Implying both controller is one.

Features:
-Not reactangle screen
-L/R Knob (rotation)
-Screen charger/Plug to controller.

bhpaWH9.png

I don't think that they're going for this kind of solution. Outside of the not rectangular screen, it also pretty much forces the NX's body (without controllers) to be pretty thin. That means less space for a battery + tighter packed and heat problems.

Off-topic:
When Metroid, F-Zero, and Pokemon are the launch titles, we won't give a damn if the console is made out of Lego.

On-topic:
Love the hybrid design. That's what I've wanted from a console for the longest time. The Vita got really close, but this would change the way I game.

This form factor of a handheld device that docks to become a console is exactly the kind of device I would like to have. I wish the GPU in my Surface Pro 3 was good enough to use as a PC gaming platform. Take it with me on the go, dock it when I want to come home and get serious about playing. Have my library of games with me as I travel.

I hope these rumors pan out, (they seem pretty on the level). I would buy this system day one.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that they're going for this kind of solution. Outside of the not rectangular screen, it also pretty much forces the NX's body (without controllers) to be pretty thin. That means less space for a battery + tighter packed and heat problems.

I tend to agree, but don't think those problems are unsolvable if something like that is the form factor.

Phones and tablets are thin as hell and have great battery life as the have thin, but large in area batteries. Heatisn't an issue with them either for the most part. The processor and gou would likely be underclocked too when in portable mode to keep heat down and battery life up. The dock would allow them to overclock and provide active cooling.

Plus the controllers need to have batteries in them as well for when they're detached and used to play games on the tv when the tablet portion is docked. Those could supplement the tablet battery in portable mode.

MilkyJoe

I hope it feels like a proper handheld portable console and is not just portable Wii U gamepad level in size.

How big can it realistically be? For a portable it has to be able to fit in a coat pocket, at least. But does that leave enough room for the specs?

At this point, this is just a handheld with a tv out. It isn't a hybrid. The rest is all speculation.

No one knows anything yet.

I keep asking this of different posters and I still haven't got a good answer: if a portable with detachable controllers and hdmi-out doesn't qualify as "hybrid," what would a true "hybrid" look like to you?

I'm honestly just trying to understand what people mean when they say this.

Subaru

Well, this is so much fun (trying to guess what the NX will be).
So, now I'm thinking about SKUs.

Since everybody is saying that is a hybrid and it will have a dock, some people (like me) is thinking about the dock having extra hardware to improve quality. But this would also make the NX more expensive, so it may not be a good idea. So I was thinking about something like this:

1) Portable SKU
It comes with the portable and a dock that only have HDMI and USB ports, maybe an ethernet port ? But the trick here is: since it won't have power usage problems, the Tegra X1/X2 whatever could run at maximum performance.

It is not uncommon that portable devices (even laptops) run on power efficiency modes to save battery, and even the PSP was underclocked to not spend too much battery. So, I guess if the NX portable have a 540p screen, the extra power could at least help the game run at 720p to look good on TV (Nintendo doesn't have problems with 720p, see Wii U). This dock could be really small too.

Let's say that this is like 0.35 tlops portable, 0.5 tflops portable + dock (the numbers are made up and just to use for reference to compare between the docks that I will especulate later - don't thake this numbers seriously)

Price (again, just to compare between SKUs): 200 USD

2) Expansion dock (could be in a bundle with portable SKU to be less expensive)
So they could make a dock to really make a better hardware, like a SLI or something. They could sell this for those who wants both console + portable. So this could achieve something like 1tflops maybe? So it could reach the Xbox One specs that everybody seems to believe that are true.

Price: 200 USD

1 + 2 Bundle: 350 USD
1 + 2 separate purchase: 400 USD (obviously)

3) Complete hardware "console"
So this SKU would be good for those who doesn't want a portable system at all. It would achieve the same tflops that 1+2 but it would be obviously cheaper because it is only one hardware and doesn't come with a screen to portable play.

Price: 300 USD

This would acomodate all the rumors too: that it isn't just one SKU, that the dock could upgrade the capacity, that it is cheaper than we think and that is more expensive that we think, that is an hybrid and that the X is a devices "family".

Also, they could not release all these SKUs at launch, just the first one. But this could be cool, what do you think?

Well, this is so much fun (trying to guess what the NX will be).
So, now I'm thinking about SKUs.

Since everybody is saying that is a hybrid and it will have a dock, some people (like me) is thinking about the dock having extra hardware to improve quality. But this would also make the NX more expensive, so it may not be a good idea. So I was thinking about something like this:

1) Portable SKU
It comes with the portable and a dock that only have HDMI and USB ports, maybe an ethernet port ? But the trick here is: since it won't have power usage problems, the Tegra X1/X2 whatever could run at maximum performance.

It is not uncommon that portable devices (even laptops) run on power efficiency modes to save battery, and even the PSP was underclocked to not spend too much battery. So, I guess if the NX portable have a 540p screen, the extra power could at least help the game run at 720p to look good on TV (Nintendo doesn't have problems with 720p, see Wii U). This dock could be really small too.

Let's say that this is like 0.35 tlops portable, 0.5 tflops portable + dock (the numbers are made up and just to use for reference to compare between the docks that I will especulate later - don't thake this numbers seriously)

Price (again, just to compare between SKUs): 200 USD

2) Expansion dock (could be in a bundle with portable SKU to be less expensive)
So they could make a dock to really make a better hardware, like a SLI or something. They could sell this for those who wants both console + portable. So this could achieve something like 1tflops maybe? So it could reach the Xbox One specs that everybody seems to believe that are true.

Price: 200 USD

1 + 2 Bundle: 350 USD
1 + 2 separate purchase: 400 USD (obviously)

3) Complete hardware "console"
So this SKU would be good for those who doesn't want a portable system at all. It would achieve the same tflops that 1+2 but it would be obviously cheaper because it is only one hardware and doesn't come with a screen to portable play.

Price: 300 USD

This would acomodate all the rumors too: that it isn't just one SKU, that the dock could upgrade the capacity, that it is cheaper than we think and that is more expensive that we think, that is an hybrid and that the X is a devices "family".

Also, they could not release all these SKUs at launch, just the first one. But this could be cool, what do you think?

Sounds good for us, but you have to think of the typical customer "why are there 3 diffrent things!!!"

although your idea has some charm
Portable = Gameboy
Dock = Nintendo Entertainment System
Dock with power = Super Nintendo Entertainment System

one can dream :D

My issue with most of the mock ups so far are that they aren't considering the possibility of using Sharp free-form displays.

It's entirely possible they've scrapped that idea but let's imagine they're still going to use them. What would the point of having a standard screen size and shape be when it undoubtedly costs more to manufacture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom