• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbong95

NX leak confirmed:

M3OIHj2.png

is this real?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't recall what exactly the other two said about PS4/XB1 ports being easy, but I'm going to guess that OsirisBlack's source was just misinformed. Even legit insiders can't get it right 100% of the time.

Here's a recap of what the other two reported

Emily Rogers had her own report at first, back in May

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/so-about-nx/

In terms of raw power, numerous sources tell me that NX is much closer to Xbox One than PlayStation 4. Even that might be stretching it a tiny bit. Anyone who is claiming that NX is “two times the power of PS4 GPU” is being misled by their sources. Based on what I’ve heard, I don’t believe the NX will compete directly with PS4 (Neo) / PS4K in raw power.

There will be plenty of debates over the NX’s specs because it’s not simple to directly compare two apples (with x86 architecture) to an orange (that doesn’t use x86 architecture). But everything that I’ve heard (so far) indicates that NX isn’t going to blow away any of the consoles on the market today…except for Wii U.

In the past few days, she actually clarified that with "even that might be stretching it" she intended to mean she didn't know if NX would've reached One levels (again, in terms of mere specs comparison, ignoring the different architectures). Also, she felt superconfident again about them due to the recent leaks.

Now, both Emily's and OsirisBlack's reports are a bit older, but Shocking Alberto PM is...interestingly recent. It was sent to maxcriden via PM, and then max was allowed to post it once the two-part feature was up

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211434861&postcount=1586

I am like

99% sure on this one. Eurogamer's story is in two parts and they should cover it, too. I am not going to say anything about it because I honestly don't want to deal with the fallout if I am wrong somehow. You can be my sealed envelope on this.

- Hybrid; it's a handheld with a TV docking station.
- Carts, around 16-32 GB.
- Nintendo-made OS, not Android.
- Retailers are being shown soon, so expect pre-orders to be around when they reveal, if not that day.
- Around Xbox One in power.
- Base station will come with it
- Nvidia is doing the internals

Max received the PM well before the articles were up, and, as you can see, it contains the details from the article and more, including "around Xbox One in power" (and how retailers will be shown soon, so we could hear / see something from brave people among them soon enough, lol).

Nintendo is most likely not going to get major 3rd party title support for the NX. This is why we are hearing statements that "Nintendo isn't competing with MS/Sony". Basically 3rd party support will be limited to what they currently have on the 3ds. We will continue to get things like Monster Hunter, Street fighter, etc.

evangd007

This news does not necessarily preclude the NX from being a multi-hardware platform like I imagined it would be. I still think that there will be an NX-Home to go with the NX-Portable. Nintendo had previously said that the NX would be a home console, and the multi-hardware platform would go with their previous statement of unifying portable and home development.

As for the Tegra news, I remind everyone that the rumors stated that the 3DS was definitely going to be Tegra powered until it wasn't.

newbong95

In case any of you doubt the veracity of our own ShockingAlberto as a source, here is a PM I received from him yesterday evening.

I am like

99% sure on this one. Eurogamer's story is in two parts and they should cover it, too. I am not going to say anything about it because I honestly don't want to deal with the fallout if I am wrong somehow. You can be my sealed envelope on this.

- Hybrid; it's a handheld with a TV docking station.
- Carts, around 16-32 GB.
- Nintendo-made OS, not Android.
- Retailers are being shown soon, so expect pre-orders to be around when they reveal, if not that day.
- Around Xbox One in power.
- Base station will come with it
- Nvidia is doing the internals

He has given me permission to now post this. He also wanted me to mention nothing is confirmed until Nintendo confirms it.

xbox one in power may be true ... the per flop efficiency of nvidia cards are better than amd ...

so if tegra x2 is in NX and features pascal gpu then around 700 nvidia Gf may be equivalent to 1.3 amd tf ..

borborygmus

Slate design is ok but man those controllers in 2 player mode, they are gonna be tiny... unless its one chunk of a handheld..

I worry that even the single-player mode will be bad. The Wii U gamepad is not very comfortable and the 3DS is almost intolerable. Nintendo seems to have completely lost its sense of ergonomics after the GameCube controller.

Instro

why not? they are doing one right now, their only game at E3, in fact

Sure but that started as a console game. We will probably l have a better idea once this thing is announced and they show some games, but it's not a stretch to think that the type of software they make could be affected if they do away with consoles.

Anarky

Banned
So according to Alberto it's around XBO power?

That's an interesting tidbit especially since it fits with OsirisBlack's post about ports.

bs135

And the Neo is gimped compared to a hypothetical $2000 PS4 Omega, but that's a pointless comparison to make.

If you are happy with Hand Held level power as your console more power to you. In terms of the processing power Nintendo is providing with the NX this is not a hybrid device. It's a handheld.

Astral Dog

Sure but that started as a console game. We will probably l have a better idea once this thing is announced and they show some games, but it's not a stretch to think that the type of software they make could be affected if they do away with consoles.
Zelda has been very well recieved so far.
The Wii U was not flooded in open world games either friend, they made like, two ,you dont think there will be at least two Nintendo open world games on NX? :p

If you are happy with Hand Held level power as your console more power to you. In terms of the processing power Nintendo is providing with the NX this is not a hybrid device. It's a handheld.

I have no problem with your being dissatisfied with these reports, but to then say that the games on NX will be "gimped versions of what they would be on a proper home console" is silly, because we're not living in a reality where we can test that counterfactual. At least not in reference to Nintendo's first party output.

majik13

Ok. One last mockup post. This time I played with the possibilites with the form factor and deattachable controllers. Hope it adds to the discussion.

I must say that after thinking a lot about the concept, something seems to be missing and as many have pointed there is a lot of things to figure out before an idea like dettachable controllers on a portable really becomes viable and appealing...however if any could come with a solution, that is Nintendo.

P,S. Thanks a lot for all the comments about the last mockup, that is what made me keep going.

great design, but you'd need offset the analog and the buttons so they aren't completely vertically aligned, otherwise this would be tiresome to play after a little while, not ergonomic. Your thumbs just dont work that way naturally.

When Nintedo first unveiled the original WiiU gamepad, I had said the same thing about it. Luckily they changed it.

Edit: Actually it looks like pretty much everyones mock up would need this change, which unfortunately, widens the design.

According to max he did in a PM.

That is what I have heard, that is not what I guarantee.

I am not a tech guy, my definition of what "around Xbox One in power" means is probably different from, I dunno, Durante's. It's more than Wii U, less than PS4, that's the only range I'm particularly comfortable with assuming.

Anarky

Banned

I am not a tech guy, my definition of what "around Xbox One in power" means is probably different from, I dunno, Durante's. It's more than Wii U, less than PS4, that's the only range I'm particularly comfortable with assuming.

My mistake then.

pixelation

Because 3D World still manages to look great on weak hardware.

It's CLEARLY not as detrimental as some of you guys make it out to be.

Hold on to that thought after it bombs among other things, due to the lack of third party support all because of the weak hardware.

kami_sama

I still can't wrap my head around this leak, is I'm being honest with myself.
What's the TDP of the X1?
Will the console be a tablet, a la gamepad? I think it's the only way to cram as much battery as possible.
Also, 32GB max for cartridges is too little. If it's really more powerful than a Wii U, it'll end being a limitation on textures or audio compared to the 50GB on Wii U discs.

We're still unsure if they're sticking with X1 or if they're waiting on X2 (or a custom chip that's somewhere in between, which sounds more likely if they're going for cost efficiency).

I've read the sentiment that they're "waiting" on X2, but isn't the console already being mass-manufactured?

It wasn't a rumor. Everything he posted was right. Of course people will take him seriously after that and not other fakes. The NX was pushed back to March 2017 and we all know it. All the games plus the marketing plans being pointless to you doesn't make it wrong.

Why are you being so aggressive and hateful?

1, We don't actually know if the NX was pushed back.
2. He was wrong. Flat out.

bs135

Will the console be a tablet, a la gamepad? I think it's the only way to cram as much battery as possible.
Also, 32GB max for cartridges is too little. If it's really more powerful than a Wii U, it'll end being a limitation on textures or audio compared to the 50GB on Wii U discs.

I'm pretty sure Wii U discs are limited to 25GB.

Wii U max.size is 25GB. We havent seen a dual layer 50GB Wii U disc yet.

Also for the X2 talk, be careful guys, you're repeating WUST over and over. You're not safe from it being lower specced than X1.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yea I was gonna say saying 'around' can have all kinds of meanings. Especially depending on how much or lil one rounds...lol

How come no sites "confirmed" cartridges when it's been speculated for months now and these sites have sources that can confirm it once Eurogamer scoops it?

Not even a "from our sources, we've heard that is the case" that I recall, because otherwise every site with "sources" should have been acting like the cat was out of the bag on that one.

Not saying it's not true, since that is one of the pieces of the story I actually find more plausible, I just think the way sites have reported on this is odd.

Maybe at the time rumours such as the cartridges being used were unrealisable or not sufficiently sourced enough.

A patent and a new story about that company name i can't remember suggested that cartridges may be used.

Obviously in the last month or so something has changed (My guess is E3) where people got hands on with the machine, perhaps just developers, even media under NDA.

This leak may have even been given the go ahead by Nintendo - get people used to the idea of what it could be and set expectations in check (especially when it comes to power - the last thing they want to happen is their reveal to be ruined by hardcore gamers who go on about pixels and frame rates and nothing else (don't mean to be cruel, it is just how it is graphics folks :D )

newbong95

if pascal is indeed in nx then

from tegra x1 - base clock will get a boost around 33.629%
cuda cores in the same die size will get a increase to 25%

i.e ; 320 cores at 1.135 ghz

tegra x1 (pixel c) - 256 cores at 850mhz - 435.2 Gflops
tegra x2( probable nx) - 320 cores at 1135mhz - 726.4 Gflops

( the %s are from rough math by comparing maxwell chips to pascal equivalents and pixel c tegra x1 soc )

so if the nx has a battery equivalent to google pixel c tablet ... then i guess the xbox one power is possible ... as nvidia flops is more than amd's ..

Azoo

Neo Member
I've read the sentiment that they're "waiting" on X2, but isn't the console already being mass-manufactured?

Not sure, but even if it was I'm sure they would have X2 in it by now. By 'waiting' I suppose it means for it's public reveal rather than for it to be used.

AntMurda

1, We don't actually know if the NX was pushed back.
2. He was wrong. Flat out.

Everything he posted from his source was right. 100 percent. Whether his speculation is right or wrong is another thing, but everything SMD divulged from his source was accurate. They were out of thin air some of these things.

Big difference than Rogers who has a new rumor out of left field every 5 days.

if pascal is indeed in nx then

from tegra x1 - base clock will get a boost around 33.629%
cuda cores in the same die size will get a increase to 25%

i.e ; 320 cores at 1.135 ghz

tegra x1 (pixel c) - 256 cores at 850mhz - 435.2 Gflops
tegra x2( probable nx) - 320 cores at 1135mhz - 726.4 Gflops

( the %s are from rough math by comparing maxwell chips to pascal equivalents and pixel c tegra x1 soc )

so if the nx has a battery equivalent to google pixel c tablet ... then i guess the xbox one power is possible ... as nvidia flops is more than amd's ..

You can't have 320 cores. Each SMM contains 128 cores. So it'd be 386 cores.
And no, you won't get such a high clock with that much cores in a handheld form factor when running on batteries. More like 500mhz. Even 400.

kami_sama

Well, they're really the same, if used for multiplying and adding, but Nvidia has less extra things in the chips, so they need less flops for the same graphical output.

Everything he posted from his source was right. 100 percent. Whether his speculation is right or wrong is another thing, but everything SMD divulged from his source was accurate. They were out of thin air some of these things.

Big difference than Rogers who has a new rumor out of left field every 5 days.

His source was wrong about the NX coming out this year, and other, more credible people reported Zelda coming to the NX. The only credible thing he did was that document leak which ended up costing a person his job.

Also, his speculation completely misunderstands Nintendo, their goals, and their priorities.

Davey Cakes

Imagine thinking graphics matter over fun in 2016.
Such a simple point but I honestly think there's truth to it.

Now that everything is HD, I think nice, crisp looking games will do the trick. Otherwise, people just want something easy to pick up and play that's fun with friends. I think Nintendo gets this. The next step is streamlining the experience and that looks exactly like what Ninty aims to do with NX. Everything in one place. Easy to bring around. Pick up and play. No hassles, just fun.

Nintendo once again is embracing the fact that they make toys. Video games are toys. Gadgets are toys. People like to play with toys, especially in a social atmosphere.

We live in a time where things such as puzzle rooms, trampoline parks, and "adult playgrounds" exist. You see people of all ages and occupations running around with their phones out catching Pokemon. Such escapism is more prominent than ever and Nintendo wants in on that and I think they might just have the mainstream product to bring people in, despite limitations that hardcore gamers get hung up on.

We'll have to see.

bs135

I have no problem with your being dissatisfied with these reports, but to then say that the games on NX will be "gimped versions of what they would be on a proper home console" is silly, because we're not living in a reality where we can test that counterfactual. At least not in reference to Nintendo's first party output.

Exactly. Because Nintendo has gotten rid of their home console and made it more convenient to play portable games on your TV.

Such a simple point but I honestly think there's truth to it.

Now that everything is HD, I think nice, crisp looking games will do the trick. Otherwise, people just want something easy to pick up and play that's fun with friends. I think Nintendo gets this. The next step is streamlining the experience and that looks exactly like what Ninty aims to do with NX. Everything in one place. Easy to bring around. Pick up and play. No hassles, just fun.

Nintendo once again is embracing the fact that they make toys. Video games are toys. Gadgets are toys. People like to play with toys.

It does depend on the genre of the game though

I would say for the majority of game types and genres the NX power level will be more than enough to give great and beautiful experiences

Rich!

I only have one thing to say, and that is that I'm really fucking excited for this thing. I love the 3DS (especially the New 3DS), and I really do love the games on the Wii U (the hardware...not so much). A combination of both in one awesome console sounds amazing.

but hell, it's nintendo. I'm buying it anyway. I've bought every single Nintendo handheld and console since the GameCube on launch day.

AntMurda

His source was wrong about the NX coming out this year, and other, more credible people reported Zelda coming to the NX. The only credible thing he did was that document leak which ended up costing a person his job.

Also, his speculation completely misunderstands Nintendo, their goals, and their priorities.

That's the same source for the Zelda leak. Which ostensibly did possibly get delayed. It corroborates with the fact that Nintendo has zero releases this Holiday season.

Astral Dog

what would be a good memory configuration/type for this thing?

im guessing 4GB with 2 for games of a very low consumption type, but dont know much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom