• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyfi

Banned
Couldn't just people use the screen on the dock?
whoa

What if the NX dock was made to be held? It could be a flat, rectangular box made to snap back-to-back with the NX screen. Or a boxier shape, like a jumbo N64 rumble pack. And then it streamed the video to a dongle on your TV. It sounds practical enough, the only major issues are the power cord needing to be connected to the dock, and the whole package being too heavy for comfortable use.

Regardless, it's a cool idea. I never thought about it before, and I've followed this thread pretty damn heavily and considered pretty much every possibility, lol.

Kimawolf

And there lies one of the major problems. Most core gamers are firmly locked into Sony & Microsoft's systems. It's too late in the generation for Nintendo to change that.
Unless you bring something totally disruptive and novel, which captures the imagination of people like the Wii did.

I know nothing btw but i haveva feeling this will be something huge of they execute it right.

Something like Pokemon Go level of big. If the theories are correct and it is presented right that is.

Nilaul

Nintendo wouldn't be able to break into that market.

Hmm what about partnerships with mobile producers?

These would be one of systems not produced by Nintendo, however they would get a cut from the profit. So we could theoretically get: Samsung NX, Moto NX, Nexus NX etc.

This won't happen of course.

VariantX

And that's where cross-platform multiplayer comes in.

It doesn't solve the problem of being able to set up games with friends on other consoles/PC through messaging and communities. It only solves the problem of having a healthy playerbase overall when you just decide to jump in a game as random.

Seik

Banned
All signs point to Nintendo *finally* doing the virtual console justice. Here's hoping.

Watch them do just like the Wii/U and start NX's VC library from fucking nothing.

I was hoping SO MUCH that all the VC titles on Wii would just follow on Wii U, but no, it took forever for it to have a decent line-up.

psyfi

Banned
Watch them do just like the Wii/U and start NX's VC library from fucking nothing.

I was hoping SO MUCH that all the VC titles on Wii would just follow on Wii U, but no, it took forever for it to have a decent line-up.
I know, I know. Every iteration of the VC has been a disappointment, but especially in the early years of the Wii U. It's not like it's the biggest selling point, but a VC with at least the top five titles from each Nintendo system would be really helpful in making the first year of the system (assuming there'll be at least short droughts) a lot better. Get the Zeldas, Marios, and Metroids on there. All Earthbound games, including Mother 3 for the first time in North America. Get some classic F-Zero games on there to build hype for the GX sequel
pls god

You know what, with so much attention on the hardware, I kind of forgot about actual games. I wonder what the launch line-up will be, man.

orioto

Good Art™
whoa

What if the NX dock was made to be held? It could be a flat, rectangular box made to snap back-to-back with the NX screen. Or a boxier shape, like a jumbo N64 rumble pack. And then it streamed the video to a dongle on your TV. It sounds practical enough, the only major issues are the power cord needing to be connected to the dock, and the whole package being too heavy for comfortable use.

Regardless, it's a cool idea. I never thought about it before, and I've followed this thread pretty damn heavily and considered pretty much every possibility, lol.

But if you hold the dock, isn't like having a power cord plugged to the NX directly ?? Except people don't really like wires when they play nowadays..

KingBroly

Banned

Well...with a new architecture comes no BC, so...they probably do have to restart :X

Snakeyes

It doesn't solve the problem of being able to set up games with friends on other consoles/PC through messaging and communities. It only solves the problem of having a healthy playerbase overall when you just decide to jump in a game as random.

Couldn't third parties implement some sort of in-game party and invite system?

TheJoRu

You know, there's a few things we've heard that I think sound interesting, but most of all I'm just looking forward to it being part of a new brand. I'm honestly just tired of Wii and DS; they were products and brands of their time and they served that time extremely well, but we're long overdue for the next thing at this point.

Soon, though. Soon.

I mean all they've got to do is get the emulators running on the NX right? Then getting the games running is a cinch right?
There's testing to be done, licensing 3rd party games, and I think they have to rate the games unless they've been doing it differently this time around
Only reason they won't have 3DS BC is if they don't have two screens, IMO.

Wii U BC isn't going to happen.
3DS BC could happen, just like DS BC happened on Wii U.
Wii U BC isn't. It's likely considerably harder since it would practically have to be a emulator.
Porting key software with added features (remastered games) is the wisest, most profitable solution

psyfi

Banned
You know, there's a few things we've heard that I think sound interesting, but most of all I'm just looking forward to it being part of a new brand. I'm honestly just tired of Wii and DS; they were products and brands of their time and they served that time extremely well, but we're long overdue for the next thing at this point.

Soon, though. Soon.
I feel you. The DS came out in 2004. It's mind blowing to think that Nintendo's lasted 27 years in the handheld business with just the Game Boy and DS brands.
Virtual Boy doesn't count, lmao.

I hope there's no BC. Nobody else does it right out of the gate and Nintendo shouldn't have too either. They can add some online BC later if they want or from the start as long as it doesn't increase hardware pricing.

There's testing to be done, licensing 3rd party games, and I think they have to rate the games unless they've been doing it differently this time around

3DS BC could happen, just like DS BC happened on Wii U.
Wii U BC isn't. It's likely considerably harder since it would practically have to be a emulator.
Porting key software with added features (remastered games) is the wisest, most profitable solution
Yup.. would be crazy if they had the dock or scd upscale the 3DS game like this software does here of pokemon XY. Man if I could play sun and moon like this..

https://youtu.be/GC8jPQMRe6I

BD1

Banned
I hope there's no BC. Nobody else does it right out of the gate and Nintendo shouldn't have too either. They can add some online BC later if they want or from the start as long as it doesn't increase hardware pricing.

I agree. Backwards comparability is sort of a weird thing that Nintendo sort of fell into. It was a feature of the Wii because Wii was an overclocked GameCube. DS had it because GameBoy was the most successful consumer video game brand ever and they couldn't just turf it for the "third pillar."

Then the install base of Wii and DS became so incredibly huge they added it to the successor.

The failure of Wii U and install base of 3DS do not warrant BC, which is an anchor in my opinion, so good riddance.

Roo

VC is also a thing so I wouldn't worry too much about it. From NES to Wii and from GBA to DS.
For 3DS and Wii U games expect a few remasters here and there to fill the gaps between major releases.

dtm808

Sfv can do it. Its a matter of devs making an Id/account system after going through xbl psn etc.

maruchan

I was thinking do you think nintendo would abandon the d pad, and go wonderswan controls?

Uny5fYA.jpg

Pif

Banned
3DS BC can happen.

The thing is customisable. Having a both low and high res screens, DS style, build would enable that.

Would be up to devs to support dual screen mode. Or vita mode with only 1 screen. Or just TV mode.

I'm hyped as fuck for this.

This system seems to be the perfect blend of all in one. It's made to play almost anything the way it was meant to. From cell to higher end games. Go from home to mobile. This system might have a long reach.

And let's says u sold just the system no controls. That's for little kids that like simple games. Then have different controllers that attached to it. Think xb1 reg vs elite. And finallyfor those that need more power the home doc sold separately. One system that reaches multiple eco systems. And user picks what they want

Banned
3DS BC can happen.

The thing is customisable. Having a both low and high res screens, DS style, build would enable that.

Would be up to devs to support dual screen mode. Or vita mode with only 1 screen. Or just TV mode.

I'm hyped as fuck for this.

"Fortunately, we have products for those who want to enjoy the rich back catalogues of Nintendo. It's called the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U."

psyfi

Banned
This system seems to be the perfect blend of all in one. It's made to play almost anything the way it was meant to. From cell to higher end games. Go from home to mobile. This system might have a long reach.

And let's says u sold just the system no controls. That's for little kids that like simple games. Then have different controllers that attached to it. Think xb1 reg vs elite. And finallyfor those that need more power the home doc sold separately. One system that reaches multiple eco systems. And user picks what they want
Yup, I think that's the vision Nintendo has, and I think it's pretty genius. They just have to successfully market it and support it.

(I don't see them making anything like the Elite Controller, though.)

AzaK

Man even if NX is twice as powerful as a Wii U or last ten system, I would gladly buy Dead Rising Remaster on it. I can almost see Capcom porting it over to NX

I dunno, I could see A LOT of people being enticed by the idea of playing COD on their lunch break. But that's *if* Activision brings COD to the NX and whether or not people can convince their COD buddies to switch over to the NX.

You guys think those games would come to a Nintendo console? Seriously? If anything this will be a Nintendo console + some select Japanese partnerships that fit their demographic.

I will eat my hat if I see a CoD on this past possible launch day that just capitalises on a new machine.

Long reach for whom though? For us core gamers that want everything? Do you think a phone gamer would get it? Do you think a 3DS only gamer would get it? Do you seriously think a console only gamer would get it?

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
That would drive the price up by a lot & load it with tons of expectations from cell phone users, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

they can easily make a wi-fi only base model and a LTE model at a higher price like the ipad for instance so it could very much happen...

psyfi

Banned
You guys think those games would come to a Nintendo console? Seriously? If anything this will be a Nintendo console + some select Japanese partnerships that fit their demographic.
COD Ghosts came out on the Wii U a year after its launch, and the Wii U was a total turd. But then again, that's because Activision was still making COD for the PS3/360.

I don't know, if the NX is wildly successful in the beginning of 2017, I could see it getting a downport of the November 2017 COD. I really think portable COD will be alluring if the console gains enough momentum.

they can easily make a wi-fi only base model and a LTE model at a higher price like the ipad for instance so it could very much happen...
Easily, sure. They could do it. But could they make it cheap enough that people would buy it? The 3G Vita tanked. Would it be worth it for Nintendo?

Mr.Fusion

I haven't bought a COD since Modern Warfare, but I'd definitely buy a NX COD. I've always wanted a fully featured FPS that's portable.

I haven't bought a COD since Modern Warfare, but I'd definitely buy a NX COD. I've always wanted a fully featured FPS that's portable.
Killzone Mercenary fits the bill if you have a Vita. One of the few Vita games that really legitimized Sony's promise of a "next-gen portable" :-(

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If they do that then it fragments things too much. If you make a game that requires controllers you miss the market that just bought the screen. Already you have a possible issue of not being able to use touch when the machine is docked.

psyfi

Banned
If they do that then it fragments things too much. If you make a game that requires controllers you miss the market that just bought the screen. Already you have a possible issue of not being able to use touch when the machine is docked.
I get this argument, but I also get the case for options / tiers. People can purchase the tier that they're satisfied with and upgrade later if they want. It makes sense to me, but I could also imagine frustration and confusion about the whole thing. Rather than view the dock/console version as the premium tier, they'll view it as the standard tier, and anything below that as Nintendo cheaping out.

I dunno, both ways make sense to me. Also I'm tired, so maybe I'm missing a more obvious problem, haha.

Haunted

I think it would be a huge mistake on Nintendo's part to differentiate itself so dramatically from the other consoles, or let itself be overrun in less than a year by the likes of Neo and the Scorpio.

These numbers came out showing just how bad third-party support for the Wii U has been and why I get that the Wii was shovelware central, it still sold like hell.

If Nintendo are going to pull gamers away from Xbox and Sony, they have to at least have the majority of those system's blockbuster third-parties. Zelda and Mario aren't enough - the Wii U has proved that.
Insane numbers that show that third parties aren't interested in Nintendo consoles. I don't think more power would change that, the demographic simply isn't there.

For comparison, Steam literally and without hyperbole gets as many third party games every ~10 days as the WiiU has LTD.

Derphoof

Killzone Mercenary fits the bill if you have a Vita. One of the few Vita games that really legitimized Sony's promise of a "next-gen portable" :-(

I really enjoy that game, especially because of the gyro-controls for aiming. Trying to fine tune aiming in that game with the tiny analog stick is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom