• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - PS4 and Xbox One in 2015 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHater

I don't agree with the author opinion. To each his own then.
Didn't the ps4 had more digital, retail , and higher rated games than the Xbox one? What more do they want from a console.
Uh oh. Eurogamer implied that the Xbox had a better year than the PlayStation. Watch out Eurogamer, that won't fly here on GAF.
Wtf? No need for shit comment like this.

Eurogamer's top 10 game of the year list is as follows:

1. Bloodborne (PS4 exclusive)
2. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (PS4, best console version)
3. Splatoon
4. Rocket League (PS4 console exclusive)
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, best console version)
6. Her Story
7. Invisible, Inc. (coming soon to PS4)
8. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
9. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4 exclusive)
10. Life is Strange (PS4, best console version)

6 PS4 games, 3 exclusive.
3 Xbox games, 0 exclusives.

If you were trying to make rational, mature people laugh this morning, well done. If you were trying to prove a point, you may have succeeded with some like-minded individuals, but trust that banking on the "best console version" of a game to boost Sony's imaginary end-of-year standings, as if anyone will care about them three weeks from now, is ridiculously amusing.

Apathy

Sony give so much money that they were able to fast track development and get it out on PS4, Windows, and Linux 2 yrs early?
XB1 ports must be super expensive.

Wow. Think a little before you post. Capcom would have been fine milking 4 for a few more years before giving ono the money required to make the next version. Would it have happened, of course, it makes money for capcom. With Sony stepping in to fund it though we don't have to wait for capcom to finally decide that 4 was tapped out to finally start making it.

oSoLucky

Sony give so much money that they were able to fast track development and get it out on PS4, Windows, and Linux 2 yrs early?
XB1 ports must be super expensive.

Or, as I'm sure you already know Sony doesn't see PC as a direct competitor. There is no incentive for Sony to provide development funding if the game were to release on XB1 also. The deal is for them to have another big console exclusive game in their lineup, not to make a game for the benefit of consumers the world over.

Three

I think the problem with xbox now is not that people are still pissed at what happened at its start. But what happened at its start let PS get the momentum and xbox play catchup. Which tends to set the mood later on. PS now has the namebrand that xbox doesn't have as much.

I honestly don't think that's the case at all. I am one of and know people who bought the thing at launch but just don't play it that often outside of SO. For a lot of people the PS4 is just the better console to own solely or together. People concentrate on "true exclusives not made by a third party, must be designated as AAA, not Japanese, not indie, not playable on previous console" but neglect to think that it's the library of content that makes something popular. Reasonable people couldn't care less if the PS4 game was made by a developer that is owned by Sony. The PS4 library of games is the strongest of the three consoles. Sure you can play Destiny, or Rocket League etc on something else but you can only play all of them on one system so far it's a good system to own and games like Bloodborne are good too. It would be like saying you would rather own a Taylor Swift CD than have a spotify account because it's got "big hitters" on it that it doesn't have. Strangely this thinking doesn't apply to the Wii U.

Wow. Think a little before you post. Capcom would have been fine milking 4 for a few more years before giving ono the money required to make the next version. Would it have happened, of course, it makes money for capcom. With Sony stepping in to fund it though we don't have to wait for capcom to finally decide that 4 was tapped out to finally start making it.

So if Sony hadn't stepped in and bought console exclusivity we would have gotten a game or two with a couple extra characters and move updates with names like SF4 EX+ Alpha whatever vs. SF5 right now?

omonimo

Banned
I expected more from Eurogamer. 'PS4 has no games and has only coasted as long as it has due to the bungled Xbox One launch' is a terrible argument.
Remember to me the last time that eurogamer give some credit to PlayStation brand over the xbone just for its games. I'm serious. I don't remember any.

Sadist

You say that about the "faults" part, but nobody is asking them to gush over anything. They glaze over the fact that there are clearly games on the PS4 that aren't limited to first party. That's not a partial admission to their post - that's burying the information deep into a crevice where the reader won't see it and morphing the narrative to suit their needs.

You could say the same for the Xbox One post as well.
And that's why they put out this opinion piece. It's just their view, while certainly limited to just one part of the PS4 as a whole.

Wouldn't be the way how I would a write a piece though about an entire year though.

oSoLucky

So if Sony hadn't stepped in and bought console exclusivity we would have gotten a game or two with a couple extra characters and move updates with names like SF4 EX+ Alpha whatever vs. SF5 right now?

That's the thing. They didn't "buy" exclusivity, they're provided some form of development funding. Who knows what Capcom would have done at this point. They may have coasted off an USF4 port to PS4/XB1 for all we know, maybe another update. There certainly is precedent with SF3.

If you were trying to make rational, mature people laugh this morning, well done. If you were trying to prove a point, you may have succeeded with some like-minded individuals, but trust that banking on the "best console version" of a game to boost Sony's imaginary end-of-year standings, as if anyone will care about them three weeks from now, is ridiculously amusing.

And yet people keep buying far more PS4s than XB1s. This was true even when the XB1 cost less. So you now have a problem explaining that. If it's not the better third party games then you have to say it was due to Sony having better first party games. So which is it?

And yet people keep buying far more PS4s than XB1s. This was true even when the XB1 cost less. So you now have a problem explaining that. If it's not the better third party games then you have to say it was due to Sony having better first party games. So which is it?

The PS4 has more marketing presence due to signing numerous third party marketing deals?

Or, as I'm sure you already know Sony doesn't see PC as a direct competitor. There is no incentive for Sony to provide development funding if the game were to release on XB1 also. The deal is for them to have another big console exclusive game in their lineup, not to make a game for the benefit of consumers the world over.

The post I was responding to said that Sony's deal benefited genuine gamer/players....

That's the thing. They didn't "buy" exclusivity, they're provided some form of development funding. Who knows what Capcom would have done at this point. They may have coasted off an USF4 port to PS4/XB1 for all we know, maybe another update. There certainly is precedent with SF3.

Exactly, who knows, this could have been part of the SF4 road map but they had to put a V in the title to make the deal work.

Usually a numbered SF comes with a change in graphic style no?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The PS4 has more marketing presence due to signing numerous third party marketing deals?
I'm pretty sure this is not how this generation started. So there must be something mysterious, ephemeral, impalpable that makes people buy a PS4 over the Xbone.

No, Ono said Capcom weren't even willing to port over USF4, Sony funded the PS4 port themselves. Chances are, the franchise would've just died off for a few years like it did before SF4 finally happened and then in 2018/19 Capcom finally would've provided enough funding to get SFV done.

Exactly, who knows, this could have been part of the SF4 road map but they had to put a V in the title to make the deal work.

Usually a numbered SF comes with a change in graphic style no?

No and no.

So you are saying that third party games really did contribute to Sony's success. You just attribute it to better marketing instead of better games. Not sure how that changes the argument at all. The point is that third party games absolutely contributed to Sony's lineup in 2015, and it is correct to list them on any list of games showing why Sony is winning.

I'm pretty sure this is not how this generation started. So there must be something mysterious, ephemeral, impalpable that makes people buy a PS4 over the Xbone.

Strong and positive early momentum that's continued through a strong marketing presence.

Or it's Crazy Ken effect.

As far as exclusives go, I found both consoles' lineups to be pretty lackluster. The only exclusives that stood out to me were Bloodborne and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Everything else was just okay. Here's hoping 2016 is better.

I'm hoping too. Already we are seeing games like Uncharted 4 get re-positioned once again. but it will definitely be out the first half of 2016 which is good. The XBox One is actually getting a big release in the way of Quantum Break in the first half of 2016 as well.

I must be getting old because I just don't see the excitement any more with what's being offered on these new systems. VR technology could jumpstart that interest, we'll see. The only excitement I see still is within the forums arguing about which systems is better. That never changes.

So you are saying that third party games really did contribute to Sony's success. You just attribute it to better marketing instead of better games. Not sure how that changes the argument at all. The point is that third party games absolutely contributed to Sony's lineup in 2015, and it is correct to list them on any list of games showing why Sony is winning.

I believe the original argument was against listing them as 'best console version' as opposed to better marketing.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Strong and positive early momentum that's continued through a strong marketing presence.

Or it's Crazy Ken effect.
I think it's Knack. Sony doesn't even announce sales for it because they don't want Nintendo feel bad after Nintendo was so nice to them with LittleBigPlanet.

No, Ono said Capcom weren't even willing to port over USF4, Sony funded the PS4 port themselves. Chances are, the franchise would've just died off for a few years like it did before SF4 finally happened and then in 2018/19 Capcom finally would've provided enough funding to get SFV done.

No and no.

SF 2, 3, and 4 have the same art style?

Oh lord...PS4's 2015 was pretty fantastic. I have no idea what they are talking about.

Not really.

Not much 1st party games, a lot of delays.

Firmware Updates take way too long and dont bring much features or features people asking for since console launch.

PS4 for me to this point is just disappointing.

And 2016 doesnt look different to me. Dont care about this Singleplayer only IPs. Sure that new Ratchet game is the only exclusive im interested in.

Xbox did a way better job this year and next looks even better. In terms of Service Updates, Console Updates and Exclusive games.

With Sony its just all talk but not doing something.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, surprised I am! Many terrible posts continued to be made! Hope you can hold on to your account when I sweep through! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom