• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - PS4 and Xbox One in 2015 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't seem to happen when the 360 was the market leader last gen. The narrative was against the PS3 and Sony back then too, especially among American outlets.
Could be a bias who knows...

The narrative will change when ps4 has multiple exclusive big sellers and critically acclaimed games. Eurogamer knows 3rd party sells the consoles, it's just more interested to talk about the exclusive experiences when comparing them, and obviously gets the feedback they want. The article is sensationalist in that PS4 is simply coasting off 3rd party and goodwill. There are indeed some great exclusive experiences on there, more than other consoles even. But it's the niche titles like Disgaea 5, Indy darlings like Everyone's gone to the Rapture. Those aren't the headlining games like Uncharted 4.

Good news is, if devs deliver and delays don't plague releases this narrative will be almost impossible next year. So ps4 fans can not only enjoy there platform, but have sensationalist pieces go in the other direction lol.

Enjoy the ride people...too many good games to play already and more to come. Just think, rockstar hasn't did anything next exclusively next gen yet! Can't wait to see what they do on the consoles.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wow, we've got everything in this thread so far.

'Sony has no gaems'

'Only AAA western first party holiday exclusives count'

"Coasting on success, arrogant Sony returns'

Their mishandling of BC aside, its actually been a pretty decent year in terms of actual first party exclusives if you look down the list. Whether or not one personally is into each and every one is subjective, but pushing a false narrative is wrong.

The Kojima and Tomb Raider comparison is even worse than the Street Fighter V comparison that's often brought up when discussing exclusives.

I expected more from Eurogamer. 'PS4 has no games and has only coasted as long as it has due to the bungled Xbox One launch' is a terrible argument.

compared to last generation this gen had sucked pretty bad during the same time-frame. Ports, remakes, and more sequels and less original content from the large publishers. Also comparing indie games from the end of last generation to the beginning of this generation last was better.

Overall this is one of the worst beginnings to a generation that I can remember.

Three

I expected more from Eurogamer. 'PS4 has no games and has only coasted as long as it has due to the bungled Xbox One launch' is a terrible argument.

"You're not that good I just made a mistake". I'm more interested in knowing what these promises were. Only thing I can come up with is UC4 delay.

compared to last generation this gen had sucked pretty bad during the same time-frame. Ports, remakes, and more sequels and less original content from the large publishers. Also comparing indie games from the end of last generation to the beginning of this generation last was better.

Overall this is one of the worst beginnings to a generation that I can remember.

This gen has been great for me. Have more games to play than I have time to.

Personally, I agree with them. I resent my PS4, which I've had for two years. I'm shockingly glued to my Xbox One, which I've had for a week.

After all the sins during the last generation (coasting on a diet of Gears/Halo/Forza, putting apps behind a paywall, Kinect nonsense) Microsoft had to do a lot to win me back, but they did it somehow. Ori and Sunset are already better than anything I've played on my PS4, Bloodborne included.

Just my opinion. Should be noted that I like my Wii U better than both and play multiplats on PC.

Sooo why didn't you play Ori on PC?

I have a PC, PS4 and Wii U. I agree the Xbox One has had a better AAA exclusive lineup than PS4, but if you have a PC you're only looking at a handful of exclusives for each platform. Wii U obviously has its dozen + exclusives, but is critically lacking in absolutely everything else.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That's not what I said at all.

Reasons to justify a PS4 purchase at the moment, for me, I can't given most of the games id purchase on it is available on my x1. Until UC4 comes out.

That's fine, but bear in mind the same principle applies in reverse, with the major caveat that most of what Xbone offers as its big system sellers are holdovers from the 360 and OG Xbox era.

If I wasn't sold on Halo, Forza, and Gears 5 years ago, why would I be interested now?

Inuhanyou

The Kojima and Tomb Raider comparison is even worse than the Street Fighter V comparison that's often brought up when discussing exclusives.

Yeah...apparently Kojima partnering with Sony to deliver his first independent game with funding and publishing is wrong, yet Tomb Raider which was already fully funded and under the umbrella of SE and coming to other platforms being arbitrarily delayed for a year is supposed to be treated the same? Why would they expect that to be?

Same with SF5. Sony providing full funding and publishing of a game that was not currently going to be prioritized anytime soon is supposed to be bad?

Eurogamer has some smart people working for them. Why are they being intentionally obtuse about these things?

Eurogamer's top 10 game of the year list is as follows:

1. Bloodborne (PS4 exclusive)
2. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (PS4, best console version)
3. Splatoon
4. Rocket League (PS4 console exclusive)
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, best console version)
6. Her Story
7. Invisible, Inc. (coming soon to PS4)
8. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
9. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4 exclusive)
10. Life is Strange (PS4, best console version)

6 PS4 games, 3 exclusive.
3 Xbox games, 0 exclusives.

This is the most ridiculous stretching I ever seen.

Wow they are still calling out the 360 as a brilliant console, that should tell you everything you need to know about their priorities,. The 360, the ultimate coaster of all coasters and rider of the competitions mess up.

I'm going to dig up year in reviews from 09-2013 and see what they had to say.

Personally xbone had an awful year until q4 and only Halo was noteworthy.

I think this is really interesting. You're welcome to your opinion of course but since day one I've had more than enough to play on PS4. In fact right now I have like 10 unfinished (or not even started) games that I haven't yet had time for, which is a position I kind of hate to be in (backlogs bum me out). Maybe your criteria for what games you are interested in are very different than mine.

It's a bad deal for everyone involved because Microsoft paid presumably a pretty substantial amount of money for something that while critically praised sold pretty poorly. It's a bad deal for SE\CD cause it hurt sales and a good game is more known for the backlash then being a good game. And it's a bad deal for the consumers cause a game got delayed for their platform of choice and potentially hurt changes of another game.

How much of that is actual change of heart vs 3rd parties no longer willing to be accept their deals due to sales though? I mean RoTR probably just torpedoed any chance they had left of convincing 3rd major parties to do a timed exclusive/full exclusive deal with them on a game that would move the needle. It would be exorbitantly expensive for very little gain. So it's pretty much focus on first party or go whelp we got nothing. Which obviously they wouldn't do.

Can't say I agree. Sony got plenty of exclusive content last gen when PS3 versions did not sell nearly as much as their X360 counterparts. These deals are about money, spotlight, and depending on the game, where the console has a presence.

Three

Not Sony's greatest year...

Bloodborne
MLB 15: The Show
Helldivers
The Order: 1886
Tearaway Unfolded
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Guns Up!
LittleBigPlanet 3
Until Dawn

...but not bad either.

Perhaps if Sony released everything they had during Q4, these end-of-year reports wouldn't sound so negative :p

Pretty sure LBP3 came out last year but yes there were some great games this year too. That's not even counting remasters.

In terms of exclusives not really. However it's no different than 360 coasting on third party support for as long as it did.
bloodborne, baseball, order 1886, until dawn, rocket league (timed) and disgaea 5. maybe all those games were not milestone titles or critically acclaimed but they're a diverse selection of games to play that came out this year.

blakep267

I think what eurogamer said of ps4 it's the other face of the same mirror for the xbone looking just this year. What exactly are those 3 more games?
Halo 5- Mp really grabbed me
ROTTR- yeah times exclusivity yadda yadda
Ori and the blind forest- got it as a download card

Aside from those, BC has been great for me. Don't have a 360 anymore and catching up on old games. Never played stick of truth, birderlands 1 etc

NHale

Strange to see those reviews from a website that has 2 PS3 exclusives, 2 WiiU exclusive on their top 10 of the year while the XB1 has a grand total of 0.

Weird that an editor in chief like Oli Welsh would write a review saying a console had a textbook year and still approve a top 10 of the same year without games from that console.

Trago

Don't really agree with some points in both articles, but next year is definitely looking good for both consoles in terms of first party and exclusives. It feels like next year should have happened this year, but everything got delayed lol.

Bioshocker

Both consoles have had good years for sure. I think Xbox One won it by a nose, but I expect 2016 to be massive for PS4.

My GOTY for each console have both been commercial failures (Tearaway Unfolded for PS4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox One) but that won't stop me from playing them again and again.

Conduit

Banned
Completely agree with Eurogamer. Sony's 2015 first party lineup was awful compared to the Wii U and XBO.
Nintendo gives a proper closure to the 3DS and Wii U with spectacular games that got ignored by the media while
Sony slowly hides the Vita under a rug and waits for some 3rd party miracle or who knows.

2015 was a year full of promises and megatons that will take years to establish like FFVIIR and Shenmue 3
and the embarrassing VR presentation and lineup at the Playstation Experience that the media pretended it didn't existed.
MS brought backward compatibility and great games the last quarter. People keep saying 2016 is going to be amazing but
Uncharted was pushed back to almost half of 2016 and makes me realize why I don't sell my PS4 for an XBO or Wii U.

Aren't Sony's IPs considered as 1st party titles even if some titles are made by "2nd party" studios, like The Order for example?

Is it though? Both tomb raider and street fighter are alienating big sections of their audience. The difference is that those who own a ps4 will eventually get to play tomb raider, and c'mon, we all know if the situation for tomb raider was flipped and came out exclusively on ps4 for a limited time, gaf wouldn't be as "out raged". To me street fighter seems just as gross as the tomb raider deal. I have both systems so It doesnt hugely effect me, but I have a buddy with not a lot of money to waste who only plays on xbox one and he was super bummed about street fighter.

Chobel

OK, I'm not gonna argue their stance on PS4,
since I actually agree with EG, I think Sony kinda dropped the ball
but this part:
and then there's Hideo Kojima, whose announcement of PlayStation exclusivity received exactly the kind of warm reception that failed to materialise for Microsoft's deal with Rise of the Tomb Raider. A sentimental reaction, considering Kojima's history with PlayStation, but perhaps not a fair one.

Holy shit! Do they actually believe both deals were very similar? Like fucking really?

Inuhanyou

Wow they are still calling out the 360 as a brilliant console, that should tell you everything you need to know about their priorities,. The 360, the ultimate coaster of all coasters and rider of the competitions mess up.

I'm going to dig up year in reviews from 09-2013 and see what they had to say.

Personally xbone had an awful year until q4 and only Halo was noteworthy.

Brilliant 360...had the entire second half of its lifespan as nothing but coasting and bolstering, gets called brilliant.

Yes i'm still bitter being a previous large 360 fan, sue me

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Aren't Sony's IPs considered as 1st party titles even if some titles are made by "2nd party" studios, like The Order for example?
A first party title is a game that us funded and published by the platform owner.

Whether or not it's developed by a full subsidiary or an independent contractor doesn't matter.
Some people use the term "2nd party game" to refer to a first-party title developed by an independent contractor, so the difference between full subsidiary and contractor is clear.

That's not how Phil or Shu talk about those, which is ultimate what matters.

Is it though? Both tomb raider and street fighter are alienating big sections of their audience. The difference is that those who own a ps4 will eventually get to play tomb raider, and c'mon, we all know if the situation for tomb raider was flipped and came out exclusively on ps4 for a limited time, gaf wouldn't be as "out raged". To me street fighter seems just as gross as the tomb raider deal. I have both systems so It doesnt hugely effect me, but I have a buddy with not a lot of money to waste who only plays on xbox one and he was super bummed about street fighter.

Why on earth does this argument still pop up over a year later? How many people complained about Dead Rising 3 being Xbone exclusive? Because that's the exact same thing that's happening with Street Fighter V. Capcom wasn't willing to properly fund development of either game, so Sony/Microsoft stepped in, made them happen and got exclusives as a result. The same thing doesn't apply for Tomb Raider, which is why it's only timed exclusive.

But that's the key difference. As it demonstrates the development of both games. Ono had repeatedly said that they didn't have funds for SFV. He said the same thing about USF4 when people asked him if it was ever going to be released on current gen consoles. Sony stepped in and funded the port of USF4 on their own and they're working closely with Capcom on SFV. Now you can choose to not believe him. But I don't really see any reason not to believe him. Especially if you look at how much Capcom's output as slowed in recent years.

On the other hand you have Tomb Raider, a series that Square had previously committed to. To the extent that they even confirmed that it would be a trilogy. There never was any sign that they were struggling for funds. And even if it were, we see a game like Titanfall, which we know MS had a hand in with funding, and it never released on the PS4. Yet TR is. I think that pretty much says it all. And that's why the reception for TR was so much different from the reception that SFV received. And there's an even bigger difference with the Kojima issue, as I mentioned. There's literally no reason to even compare what went on with KojiPro to the TR deal.

Apathy

Really you expect more from Eurogamer when they employ people like Richard Leadbetter? The slant that people like him have for Microsoft can be seen from a mile away. I avoid his work like the plague, and pretty much only read digital foundry articles from Eurogamer now.

Inuhanyou

On the other hand you have Tomb Raider, a series that Square had previously committed to. To the extent that they even confirmed that it would be a trilogy. There never was any sign that they were struggling for funds. And even if it were, we see a game like Titanfall, which we know MS had a hand in with funding, and it never released on the PS4. Yet TR is. I think that pretty much says it all. And that's why the reception for TR was so much different from the reception that SFV received. And there's an even bigger difference with the Kojima issue, as I mentioned. There's literally no reason to even compare what went on with KojiPro to the TR deal.

As an aside, Titanfall was supposed to be on PS4 later on. The original contract between Respawn and MS was a timed exclusive in return for development and financial assistance. But late in development, MS went back to EA behind Respawn's back and renegotiated the deal to be full exclusive.

Respawn were pretty bitter about that, and adamant that they would never let the same thing happen to Titanfall 2

Sadist

That only bolsters my point. If the article is talking about mostly first party output, then how are they like us or like enthusiast? To me, an enthusiast doesn't gate themselves within the walls of one particular segment, AAA, AA, or indie.

You don't have to play every segment evenly, but at least dabbling and presenting your opinion as such is far better than cherrypicking.

Eurogamer covers more than first party games. The games on their list of Best aren't all AAA titles. Do you think it's fair to focus on one area and exclude the many, many games found in other places within the console's ecosystem? That goes for both the One and the PS4.

Your original post, and even this one, lack the perspective I'm talking about - people only care about what's in front of their face, and that's fine, but not in regards to telling others what to expect out of the console fairly.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's unfair to just shed a light on their first party output; the third party offerings on the system are good and they should take it in account. I didn't explain my "enthousiast" thing very well, I think I'm searching for a different word here. Anyway, they focus too much on just the first party line-up, but their stance on it is something I can't disagree on. With enthusiast I meant mostly someone who can see a systems "faults" as well and doesn't gush over them.

I think the Eurogamer article is a bit too harsh on on the entire year of Sony (announcements regarding games are quite awesome) but the article would have been better if they gave third party software a nod. I don't care for the cynical undertone regarding kickstarters and what not, feels a bit out of place.

Still I think their assesment of Sony's first party line-up is fair. It only dominates their article and its a bit onesided.

Ok, but what promises did they make to us about first party output? I don't remember them making any particular promises. And some stuff that has been announced has been delayed but it has or will be coming out. I don't remember much just being cancelled. in fact they will be making good on a promise they made for PS3 (it's just really delayed) next year.

Honestly, I don't care about first party output. I care that it has the games I want. I don't understand this focus on first party being the only important thing. The important thing is if it has games you want. Plus I like the features they promised that they have given us.
I just expected more and somewhat quicker I guess. I personally prefer first party software over third party software because those games can add a cool flavour to your system. But that's just a personal preference. I just feel that it's taking a lot of time before the real big games are finally appearing. On the other hand, its been that way for every system ever. The games are coming, but for someone like me who likes first party games you need a lot of patience.

Chobel

Is it though? Both tomb raider and street fighter are alienating big sections of their audience. The difference is that those who own a ps4 will eventually get to play tomb raider, and c'mon, we all know if the situation for tomb raider was flipped and came out exclusively on ps4 for a limited time, gaf wouldn't be as "out raged".

If you look at it from fanboys googles sure, TR2 deal looks better. But if you look at it from the perspective of logical genuine gamer player then SFV is way better, you now can play SFV at least two years earlier. TR2 deal only managed to fuck many gamers players by forcing them to wait for a few month (a year) to play TR2.

To me street fighter seems just as gross as the tomb raider deal. I have both systems so It doesnt hugely effect me, but I have a buddy with not a lot of money to waste who only plays on xbox one and he was super bummed about street fighter.

It does affect you actually, you can now play SFV in 2016 instead of +2018.

spekkeh

Banned
Can't say I disagree with it. Of course it's all personal preference, but Souls games are not for me, I thought infamous son and driveclub were mediocre and I didn't even touch the order and knack for obvious reasons. Playstation has a ton of exclusives but the only one I truly enjoyed was Until Dawn. Compare that with Wii U and.. it's really not a comparison. That said, the controller and ecosystem and performance make me play the multiplatforms all on the ps4, so it's a great console. But I would have been almost as happy with an Xbone. Sony should step up their game.

That and the butthurt over Kojima was pretty lame.

The biggest butt hurt was Last Guardian, Shenmue, and Final Fantasy 7, games we could "conceivably never play", outshining Xbox backwards combatibility at E3. Obviously a very pertinent statement in a Xbox 2015 review article.

benny_a

PS4 better deliver in 2016 or else! LoL.
Or we'll get another article we just can't understand why this thing is selling so well, must be xbone cockup thingie they do.

After all this willful blindness when it comes to that topic when new games that have been in development or failed prototyping phases since 2012 are announced we're probably going to get some of these writers to clap themselves on the back for making it happen by demanding it in articles. :p

Dragon

Banned
Can't say I disagree with it. Of course it's all personal preference, but Souls games are not for me, I thought infamous son and driveclub were mediocre and I didn't even touch the order and knack for obvious reasons. Playstation has a ton of exclusives but the only one I truly enjoyed was Until Dawn. Compare that with Wii U and.. it's really not a comparison. That said, the controller and ecosystem and performance make me play the multiplatforms all on the ps4, so it's a great console. But I would have been almost as happy with an Xbone. Sony should step up their game.

If we're talking about 2015, I don't think you should include Infamous or Knack. They came out March of 2014 and launch respectively.

The WiiU has been out another year and I don't think anyone would argue that Sony has the selling power in its first party besides Naughty Dog to compete with Nintendo.

Inuhanyou

Solid exclusive line-up...

I can't wait for 2016's list to slowly be invalidated by these same forces, and i will probably hear that PS4 has no games at the end of next year as well based on some clever mental gymnastics.

It just gets annoying hearing the same "these games don't even count cause X Y and Z" reasons that don't even make any sense.

I saw this thread at 5 pages and I already knew what awaited me. Sure enough, after reading the first few responses, it turned into a "PS4 is awful and Spencer has elevated the X1 to greatness" madhouse.

I look forward to a repeat of this at the end of next year.

The irony of the "NO AAA WESTERN FOCUSED FIRST PARTY EXCLUSIVES THAT PEOPLE CARE ABOUT" PS4 having the top exclusive on Eurogamer's top 10 is wonderful as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's unfair to just shed a light on their first party output; the third party offerings on the system are good and they should take it in account. I didn't explain my "enthousiast" thing very well, I think I'm searching for a different word here. Anyway, they focus too much on just the first party line-up, but their stance on it is something I can't disagree on. With enthusiast I meant mostly someone who can see a systems "faults" as well and doesn't gush over them.

I think the Eurogamer article is a bit too harsh on on the entire year of Sony (announcements regarding games are quite awesome) but the article would have been better if they gave third party software a nod. I don't care for the cynical undertone regarding kickstarters and what not, feels a bit out of place.

Still I think their assesment of Sony's first party line-up is fair. It only dominates their article and its a bit onesided.

You say that about the "faults" part, but nobody is asking them to gush over anything. They glaze over the fact that there are clearly games on the PS4 that aren't limited to first party. That's not a partial admission to their post - that's burying the information deep into a crevice where the reader won't see it and morphing the narrative to suit their needs.

You could say the same for the Xbox One post as well.

3rd party games are only for dirty scrub casuals.

B-tier exclusive AAA games (Until Dawn, Driveclub, Infamous:SS etc) and indie games don't count either.

Only exclusive games that are rated 90+ on metacritic are worth the enthusiasts time.

If you go by that standard XB1 doesn't have a single good game

Tigress

Or we'll get another article we just can't understand why this thing is selling so well, must be xbone cockup thingie they do.

After all this willful blindness when it comes to that topic when new games that have been in development or failed prototyping phases since 2012 are announced we're probably going to get some of these writers to clap themselves on the back for making it happen by demanding it in articles. :p

As some one who bought a PS4, is admittedly a PS fan, and has already defended PS4 in this thread... honestly I think it was ultimately down to that. Not because I think PS is doing bad now. But because I think it's one of those how you start the console really matters later on. MS let PS get all the good will from the start, and even though they were quick to start responding, the momentum started with PS and once you get momentum on a console it's easier to continue it vs. when you start off on a bad foot (and you have a competitor that took advantage of that), it's harder to get it back.

I think the problem with xbox now is not that people are still pissed at what happened at its start. But what happened at its start let PS get the momentum and xbox play catchup. Which tends to set the mood later on. PS now has the namebrand that xbox doesn't have as much.

Honestly, I don't think there's a huge difference between the two all things put aside. Other than personal preferences or if you play MP games where your friends are. And I have always been kinda loyal to PS and I'll admit for me that was part of why I went PS. I have always gotten a good selection of games when I get a PS and never regretted it. I don't see a big reason to go over to xbox (they really don't have anything that I will miss not having. Though PS does have a few games I'm going to be happy to get. In general though I tend to prefer 3rd party games anyways. Well and I like having the Japanese games as well).

I mean look at PS3... Sony managed to save it but its bad start really set it back. Hell, I don't think Sony would have saved it if Playstation already didn't have a huge name attached to it and a huge reputation from both PS1 and PS2. The name brand is what I think allowed Sony to have time to save PS3 after their huge gaffe (one that even had me not buy the console... I just didn't really go into that generation until 2012 when I could find a cheap used PS3).

A bad start to a console can really set the mood for its entire life.

benny_a

A bad start to a console can really set the mood for its entire life.
My argument was more that decisions made in 2012 are coming to fruition in 2016.

Horizon has been in development since 2011. We don't even know, because they usually don't say, if they had failed prototypes. But chances are sometimes things don't work out like with Bend or SMS.

Also this was just me guessing about what they will think when new games are released or shown. Maybe they don't actually harbor these grandiose delusions about their impact on the industry, but given what they sometimes write I think their grasp on publishing and developing is worse than they think.

If you look at it from fanboys googles sure, TR2 deal looks better. But if you look at it from the perspective of logical genuine gamer player then SFV is way better, you now can play SFV at least two years earlier. TR2 deal only managed to fuck many gamers players by forcing them to wait for a few month (a year) to play TR2.

It does affect you actually, you can now play SFV in 2016 instead of +2018.

Sony give so much money that they were able to fast track development and get it out on PS4, Windows, and Linux 2 yrs early?
XB1 ports must be super expensive.

It's true that third party games sell console nowadays and exclusives have been lackluster for both consoles. The defense to that claim, especially on the PS4 side, is to excuse the exclusives because they are targeted towards more niche audiences. Ok, even given that I can say that for my own personal tastes these exclusives haven't satisfied my own niche preferences. I'd love to see first parties make games to fill these forgotten categories.

Arcade sports: Deathrow
Arcade Racer: MotorStorm
Arcade Flyer: Crimson Skies
Mech shooter: Mech Assault
RTS: Halo Wars

Thankfully 2016 looks to be changing this. Microsoft is making Halo Wars 2 to satisfy the RTS checkbox and Sony has me covered with RIGS for my mech shooter, Eve Valkyrie as a console exclusive for my arcade flyer, and Distance as a console exclusive arcade racer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom