• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer why our Starfield: review will be late (DF unaffected and will be on time)

Wingnut

They didn’t lie though; Spencer himself admitted that they lacked games by saying that 2022 was “too light on games”
ItUxUWJ.jpg
Still no reason lower the score of a game which is not responsible for that

supernova8

Banned
Bottom line is that favoritism of any kind is probably a bad idea (no matter who is doing it).

It's not because it's Bethesda and because dickheads like Jez Corden are getting review codes when way more established outlets like Eurogamer aren't (yeah I thought their takes on FF16 and RE4 were dumb but hey ho that's just one reviewer of many at the place). I would say the exact same thing if a Playstation-owned publisher decided to give review codes to Gregg Miller, Colin Moriarty, and then the usual suspects (IGN, Gamespot) but then didn't give one to, say, Giant Bomb or Eazy Allies. Those are woke shitholes but I'd still rather they either all got review codes or none of them.

It screams "we only want Day One reviews that are 100% positive so fuck everyone else". We all know day one reviews are what the vast majority of people will look at. It's stupid to think otherwise.

By the way, Jez Corden is based in the UK so this is obviously not a "UK thing" otherwise he wouldn't get one either.

Last edited:
Bottom line is that favoritism of any kind is probably a bad idea (no matter who is doing it).

It's not because it's Bethesda and because dickheads like Jez Corden are getting review codes when way more established outlets like Eurogamer aren't (yeah I thought their takes on FF16 and RE4 were dumb but hey ho that's just one reviewer of many at the place). I would say the exact same thing if a Playstation-owned publisher decided to give review codes to Gregg Miller, Colin Moriarty, and then the usual suspects (IGN, Gamespot) but then didn't give one to, say, Giant Bomb or Eazy Allies. Those are woke shitholes but I'd still rather they either all got review codes or none of them.

It screams "we only want Day One reviews that are 100% positive so fuck everyone else". We all know day one reviews are what the vast majority of people will look at. It's stupid to think otherwise.

By the way, Jez Corden is based in the UK so this is obviously not a "UK thing" otherwise he wouldn't get one either.
Do Giant Bomb even get review codes from anyone anymor?

Ginzeen

Banned

Nah. Im glad Euro ate a turd. nothing changes on their end. They will review the game ultimately. Just not in the time they wanted. Better luck next time.

Hudo

People who got review codes from Xbox:
  • KidSmoove
  • Nick Spheshal
  • Stevivor
  • Rand
  • Jez Cordon
  • Colt Eastwood
Those who didn't get a code:
  • Metro
  • The Guardian
  • Skill Up
  • Eurogamer (got an hour after the news blew up)
  • Rock Paper Shotgun
  • Edge
  • Bloomberg
  • Axios
Both lists don't have anything/anyone of value in them, imho.
Man, game reviews are in a shit situation nowadays, huh.

I have no idea but if Colt "paid by Xbox what's even the point" Eastwood can get one I don't see why Giant Bomb shouldn't get one (and that's with me thinking Giant Bomb's current output is garbage)
Meh, who cares who they go to. Its not like those that didn’t get them are the only ones who can review the games and most of them are generally derided on here by all anyway. I know Giant Bomb and Kotaku were blacklisted by Nintendo and other publishers for memory… does that mean they have some hidden agenda? Because I don’t see any criticism come their way for it

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The funny thing is, with all this...how can we trust any of these reviewers. That's why steam is always the best gauge nowadays.

You can't trust any if these reviews now becuase, those who got codes could be hyped they got early review code (like any game) might be a fan of the platform or studio, which is less of a chance for Microsoft but still. Then there could be these "journalists" that are salty as fuck and purposefully go into the review, intentionally or not with a jaded view and thus mark down the score.

Basically, any review will be used for anyone's agenda and you're best to ignore it all and go with your own opinion or steam user reviews.

I fell for some high scoring reviews, and those games imo do not mirror their metacritic review scores at all. Basically, reviews are pointless.
this is why i don't care about reviews, it's just Fun at launch but me buying a game doesn't rely on reviews if i like something even if it scores bad i try it

supernova8

Banned
It doesn't matter. Bethesda isn't obligated to provide those guys anything. You get what you get. Their mad because they were left out there to dry. Better luck next time.
What is this "better luck next time" nonsense?

I never said Bethesda was obliged to give anyone anything. I'm saying favoritism is not good. You're saying "don't care". Alright then, discussion over, correct?

supernova8

Banned
Thankfully there are other places to get reviews other than places like the Guardian, Eurogamer, etc.
Sure but isn't it better to get reviews from an even wider range of sources?

I understand why Bethesda blacklisted them (they want to paint their game in the best possible light, no shit), but from a purely consumer perspective, surely (this goes for all games) we want to have access to as many reviews as possible, no?

If we (correctly) assume that the game at launch is not perfect (because nothing ever is), we should be advocating for as many reviews as possible, because (in theory) it reduces the likelihood of us just getting a whitewash where nobody (feeling part of an exclusive small group of outlets that actually received review code) is willing to say anything overly negative.

Fools idol

Banned
Reddit / SM is blocked on this network I'm on but there is a bunch of posts in the leaker thread now discussing some major issues with performance once you start customising your ship. Probably nothing / will be patched out but worth mentioning..

It seems to be similar to how fallout 4 would start to chug later in the game as you add more customised stuff and base buildings.

yazenov

I can't stand Eurogamer or Edge but they are huge publications based in the UK.

To deny them access is absurdly petty by Microsoft.

I'm not a MS or Xbox fan but Eurogamer doesn't deserve codes after the woke bullshit politically charged articles and reviews. It is just video games so no need to insert their ideology in it.

Eurogamer should be boycotted by publishers.

Sure but isn't it better to get reviews from an even wider range of sources?

I understand why Bethesda blacklisted them (they want to paint their game in the best possible light, no shit), but from a purely consumer perspective, surely (this goes for all games) we want to have access to as many reviews as possible, no?

If we (correctly) assume that the game at launch is not perfect (because nothing ever is), we should be advocating for as many reviews as possible, because (in theory) it reduces the likelihood of us just getting a whitewash where nobody (feeling part of an exclusive small group of outlets that actually received review code) is willing to say anything overly negative.
I mean, I guess it depends on the quality of the outlets and at the end of the day I think it has a very minimal impact on consumers looking for reviews or overal scores of the games to make purchase decisions unless they refuse to trust any sources but those listed in which case they’d just wait for their eventual review to inform their decision anyway.

this whole drama just feels like pearl clutching

Still no reason lower the score of a game which is not responsible for that
But they didn't? They just mentioned the fact that there wasn't a lot of exclusives on Series console :
"... Which is a good job because it’s the best exclusive on Xbox Series X.

Admittedly, that’s not saying much, given this is also the first Xbox Series X exclusive to be published by Microsoft themselves. The wasteland that has been the Xbox release schedules for the last few years limits the accolades we can give the game but it’s a breath of fresh air for Xbox gamers, developer Tango Gameworks, and the rhythm action genre as a whole..."
Nowhere they mention that they are going to lower the score for this and in the cons of the final summary they just mention that the game is sort of repetitive even in its short lenght and that platforming is not as fun as combat.

But they didn't? They just mentioned the fact that there wasn't a lot of exclusives on Series console :
"... Which is a good job because it’s the best exclusive on Xbox Series X.

Admittedly, that’s not saying much, given this is also the first Xbox Series X exclusive to be published by Microsoft themselves. The wasteland that has been the Xbox release schedules for the last few years limits the accolades we can give the game but it’s a breath of fresh air for Xbox gamers, developer Tango Gameworks, and the rhythm action genre as a whole..."
Nowhere they mention that they are going to lower the score for this and in the cons of the final summary they just mention that the game is sort of repetitive even in its short lenght and that platforming is not as fun as combat.
They said it ‘limits the accolades they can give the game …’ so yes it did affect their review of it

supernova8

Banned
I mean, I guess it depends on the quality of the outlets and at the end of the day I think it has a very minimal impact on consumers looking for reviews or overal scores of the games to make purchase decisions unless they refuse to trust any sources but those listed in which case they’d just wait for their eventual review to inform their decision anyway.

this whole drama just feels like pearl clutching
For what it's worth, I probably wouldn't bother reading the Eurogamer review anyway :D

The only one I actually care about in that list is Skill Up, since he generally tends to give thorough reviews that both give credit where it's due and rip into the game where necessary. Principle still stands though....

NEbeast

I know some platform warriors love to shriek about them being biased.

I also know there’s no hard evidence behind this, they frequently review games that perform worse on the Xbox platform and they certainly aren’t fans of the Series S.

You seem to love your conspiracy theories, though.
What a load of bollocks. Ofcourse they review them: they have no fucking choice! How does that show they have no bias?

"Platform warriors"

Vanessa Lachey Hawaii GIF by CBS

Three

They said it ‘limits the accolades they can give the game …’ so yes it did affect their review of it
How? They called it the best xbox series exclusive but because it's been such a wasteland for those the accolades (as in special honours) they can give it are limited by the lack of others there. It doesn't mean they gave it a lower score because of it.

Pedro Motta

It's so Microsoft to fuck up what could have been a perfect launch. The game seems to be in a very good state, they released it early for reviews and embargo and that shows confidence, but then they do this and throw it all under the bus. Whyyyy?

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

GymWolf

Reddit / SM is blocked on this network I'm on but there is a bunch of posts in the leaker thread now discussing some major issues with performance once you start customising your ship. Probably nothing / will be patched out but worth mentioning..

It seems to be similar to how fallout 4 would start to chug later in the game as you add more customised stuff and base buildings.
Thank god i don't give a fucks about ship customization and base building then :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Ah the classic case of Journos deserve things because they are special flowers.

Considering 90% of people are just gonna sub to gamepass for a month for it I don't think we need journo reviews 🤣. "SpaCe iS RaCiSt anD HomOpHobiC" "whY StArfieLd iS trAnsPhoBic"

How? They called it the best xbox series exclusive but because it's been such a wasteland for those the accolades (as in special honours) they can give it are limited by the lack of others there. It doesn't mean they gave it a lower score because of it.
If it didn’t affect their view of the game and ultimately their score, then they worded that sentence very poorly. Because it reads as though they marked it down due to Xbox’s output

Just a really bizarre thing to even write because why should it even affect their ’special honours’ anyway?

Last edited:

Three

If it didn’t affect their view of the game and ultimately their score, then they worded that sentence very poorly. Because it reads as though they marked it down due to Xbox’s output

Just a really bizarre thing to even write because why should it even affect their ’special honours’ anyway?
Because they were saying giving it 'awards' like that where there is no other competitors to begin with makes the accolades meaningless. That's all. It doesn't mean they marked the games score down because there were no competitors.

Last edited:

Elog

MS needs to stop this astroturfing/ shaping the information space BS they are doing. And let's be fair - this evangelist approach they are applying is complete BS and has so far only come back and bit them in the bum with trust at record low levels. And the same people that demanded changes after the last few crashes are now defending them again. Cannot make this up.

I really hope Starfield is great though.

Because they were saying giving it 'awards' like that where there is no other competitors to begin with makes it meaningless. That's all. It doesn't mean they marked the games score down because there were no competitors.
No other competitors? So they can only judge the quality of Xbox games against other Xbox games?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ah the classic case of Journos deserve things because they are special flowers.

Considering 90% of people are just gonna sub to gamepass for a month for it I don't think we need journo reviews 🤣. "SpaCe iS RaCiSt anD HomOpHobiC" "whY StArfieLd iS trAnsPhoBic"
Less than 40% of Xbox console user base subscribers to Game Pass. It means more than 60% of Xbox's "most committed userbase" does not even use Game Pass. There are more than 120 million PC users; ~90% of them do not use Game Pass.

To say that 90% will play the game on Game Pass is significantly overestimating it. Most people would rather buy the game -- for which reviews would be important.

Last edited:
You're going too far with this. I don't understand what you're not getting, they just meant "Accolades" like "best xbox series exclusive" which they specifically state.
Oh, ok I see what you mean. Still reading it again, that point is not made very clear especially so for a professional writer

Last edited:

jm89

Plenty of content creators got a review code.
Who are twitter users also. Like you Said.

If your going to justify it by saying content creator, well that applies to those clickbaity websites aswell.

And yes those content creators you mentioned are clickbaiters aswell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom