• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2015: Street Fighter 5 Panel @ 2PST/5EST

I honestly think majority of players will still pay to unlock. Especially tourny players. I'm sure they'd rather have the character unlocked as soon as possible.

It's a really good way to get more people into the game. I'm actually really surprised by Capcom here.

FluxWaveZ

It's a really good way to get more people into the game. I'm actually really surprised by Capcom here.

Yep. Whatever makes for a larger playerbase is good. This model is a huge part of why MOBAs can be so popular, though those start off free (which is an even major part).

Honestly I don't mind this model, there are many here who put hundreds of hours into SSF4, the more you play the more stuff you can unlock.

This is exactly how I'm looking at it. Anything to provide even more incentive to keep going back to the game and keep you interacting with it is a good thing. Sure, scrubs gonna stay scrubbing (example A: Me.) but if you'd rather not drop the 5-10 bucks per character or 2-3 bucks per costume pack, you can just keep playing, and keep working on your game.

Are we sure new characters will be free? Aren't they referring to colors and costumes only?

They've specifically said the characters will be free, too - so long as you earn enough fight-money in-game to unlock them. If you're impatient or strapped for the time you'd need to pour into the game, you can drop coin to buy them.

This the THE best model for competitive games. It's usually accompanied buy free2play but since you get all the initial characters first it's a good tradeoff. The hardcore people earn their stuff and the whales will make capcom a ton of money which will lead to more updates and content. Win win for everybody.

bounchfx

all the news regarding SFV has just been fucking awesome. Thank you capcom, for joining the present and setting another example of how games like this should be handled. pumped!

ArjanN

Fight money is a real thing now lol

Over/under on the in-game currency being Bison-bucks?

I honestly think majority of players will still pay to unlock. Especially tourny players. I'm sure they'd rather have the character unlocked as soon as possible.

Especially if it's like F2P type games where technically you can unlock everything without paying...the catch is you just have to grind for a 1000 hours.

I wonder how could they get enough money to supper themselves with developments of new characters and stages?

Tons of cosmetic DLC. Outfits/stages/music, people paying so they don't have to grind etc.

what did he said ? I haven't followed his stream this week end ?

It was from long ago, basically the first real legitimate Street Fighter V leak. He called 16 characters, four new, and V-Trigger. He also laid out three new locations, and gave names for three of the four new characters.

Producer

Dlc was always going to be paid either way, now we have the option to grind it out. As long as the dlc pricing is fair i dont see how its a bad thing.

Nyoro SF

In before you have to play 2000 matches to unlock one character haha

We'll see how they balance paid content with the system. It's always the dealbreaker.

I'm happy with how this system sounds, been wanting a SF game that was more of a service like LoL or DotA2. Make money selling costumes & cosmetic stuff but all the gameplay stuff available for free. I feel like the being able to pay for characters with real money or grind for them through gameplay is a good compromise between people who have more money than time or more time than money.

I hope its successful and they generate a lot of money so they can really continue to support the service for the long term.

It was from long ago, basically the first real legitimate Street Fighter V leak. He called 16 characters, four new, and V-Trigger. He also laid out three new locations, and gave names for three of the four new characters.

I bet he did that in his pokemon stream hunting shiny " j'dis ça j'dis rien on va encore m'engueuler "

I love this guy haha

very down to earth and yet entertaining

FiggyCal

Banned
In before you have to play 2000 matches to unlock one character haha

We'll see how they balance paid content with the system. It's always the dealbreaker.

Which is why a betting mechanic would be pretty neat. Go all in on myself every game for that huge bonus!

Top Bottom