• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exremely slow PS4 download speed

le-seb

What is CDN ?
Content Delivery Network.

They are basically file servers replicating content on a number of locations known as 'points of presence' (data centers), where your ISP will also probably be connected, and where both will share network traffic in the most efficient way possible (direct connections).

Because they can't / don't want to have their own servers in thousands of locations around the world, most companies rely on CDNs to provide content to end users, so that latency is kept minimal and hence improve download speeds on the user's side.

Now, if your ISP has bad connection to these CDNs, your download speeds will suck.

spyder_ur

Not happy to hear people are having trouble, but a little relieved that it is not just me. I got my PS4 Monday and have experience a plethora of issues including slow download speeds and frequent disconnects.

KePoW

Banned

They are basically file servers replicating content on a number of locations known as 'points of presence' (data centers), where your ISP will also probably be connected, and where both will share network traffic in the most efficient way possible (direct connections).

Because they can't / don't want to have their own servers in thousands of locations around the world, most companies rely on CDNs to provide content to end users, so that latency is kept minimal and hence improve download speeds on the user's side.

Now, if your ISP has bad connection to these CDNs, your download speeds will suck.

thx for the explanation, I had no idea what it meant

Twio

Also having this problem :/ Trying to download TLOU Remastered and it's sooooo slow. I should be getting 300mbps

spwolf

Ahhhh.. well considering Comcast (possibly others) have been suspected of throttling Akamai and AWS, I am not surprised by this now.

possible... also possible that Akamai is shit despite being the most expensive and well known one.

Ambient80

Same issue here. I downloaded Binding of Isaac today off PS+ and its I think ~460MB. Took me 45 minutes to download. Ridiculous. In comparison when preloading CoD:AW it took the same amount of time for like 5-6GB.

SHEF

Add me to the list of people with slow downloads since 2.0

Another issue I've had through the summer was my PS4 melting the plastic clip on my Ethernet cables so it kept losing connection when they become weak.

I went through 3 cables before I switched to Wi-Fi which was ok till my download speed died completely after the 2.0 update.

I then bought Powerline adapters so if my Ethernet cables break it would be a much easier job of replacing them with shorter cables each time without rewiring.

But I now have the issue of downloads going from super fast 7MB/s down to 300kbps and back up again randomly; can't win...

Kilau

Gold Member
Download speeds seem to be worse for me also. Watching the download it bounces back and forth from 700KBs to about 5MBs.

Not too long ago downloads were about 8MBs constant, based on my timing test.

Always wired.

Calabi

Same problem here I'm downloading CodAW single player on a 60mb connection it says its going to take over an hour. It feels like the speed gets slower and slower. I'm using wired as well.

Edit: Just paused it and tested the connection, it sped up. Its something wrong with the console, not enough resources being put to the download or something.

ViciousDS

Banned
Same problem here I'm downloading CodAW single player on a 60mb connection it says its going to take over an hour. It feels like the speed gets slower and slower.

Edit: Just paused it and tested the connection, it sped up. Its something wrong with the console, not enough resources being put to the download or something.

I was doing the same with the crew but I didn't pause it instead of just SAT there at the download screen and all of a sudden it just jumped up in speed and I got my full bandwidth

Quotient

Great explanation.

Would folks that are having speed issues post your ISP and location.

Akamai is Sony's CDN. So when you are downloading any patches, games, etc you are not downloading from a Sony server, rather you are downloading from akamai.

http://www.akamai.com/html/about/press/releases/2006/press_121906a.html

EDIT: For the record I'm in Boston on Comcast and i get 10-12mb/s
EDIT2: I just downloaded firmware 2.1 and it took under a minute, so average 7mb/s. Though i didn't time as i walked away and came back a minute later and it was done.

HORRORSHØW

psn download speeds have always been atrocious. that said, i downloaded the binding of isaac and steamworld dig pretty quickly--~15 minutes each.

i'm in LA using aeroconnect.

RedAssedApe

Banned
try changing the dns servers in your ps4 settings. (i.e. google or OpenDNS)

sometimes you'll get faster speeds because the DNS server will result in your connecting to different CDNs

Had an issue with Call of Duty, but haven't had any issues since and after the initial download of the 5GB's took 3 hours the other 37 GB's took only 1 and half hours.

Yoday

I did some testing. The first graph is PS4 downloading some demo with default DNS servers of my provider. I also tested Google's DNS servers (speed halved) and my VPN servers I use to unlock Netflix (no much difference). Notice peaks and drops, which shouldn't happen that often. Rest mode doesn't change anything for better as somebody suggested. If anything, it's for worse. As I wrote before, I used to get up to 50 mbit/s from PSN a couple of months ago. Not great but not bad either. Now it's much worse. Even the speed test reaches 35-37 mbit/s max.
gnqvIoh.jpg

For comparison, downloading some game from Steam pretty much saturates my bandwidth.
NNf3EHs.jpg

Conclusion: #sonyfixyourshit ASAP
That first graph illustrates what is happening perfectly. Reading through the thread there seems to be a lot of people that don't understand the issue that people are having. This has nothing to do with the connection or the overall speed that we are getting from PSN. It has to do with sudden and drastic drops in speed throughout a download that never happened before the 2.0 update.

RedAssedApe

Banned
That first graph illustrates what is happening perfectly. Reading through the thread there seems to be a lot of people that don't understand the issue that people are having. This has nothing to do with the connection or the overall speed that we are getting from PSN. It has to do with sudden and drastic drops in speed throughout a download that never happened before the 2.0 update.

i think the ps4 speedtest will never hit your max bandwidth beyond a certain point because either the test file is downloading or uploading is small enough where the speedtest doesn't last long enough to ramp up to your max speeds.

i used to have 20/2 and that would be reflected in the test. Now I have 100/10 and the speed tests never seen to get past around 40-50/5.

i could be completely wrong though and they could just also be rate limiting...someone with a fast service plan pls correct if inaccurate. i think some cdns might also throttle?

Mastperf

i think the ps4 speedtest will never hit your max bandwidth beyond a certain point because either the test file is downloading or uploading is small enough where the speedtest doesn't last long enough to ramp up to your max speeds.

i used to have 20/2 and that would be reflected in the test. Now I have 100/10 and the speed tests never seen to get past around 40-50/5.

i could be completely wrong though and they could just also be rate limiting...someone with a fast service plan pls correct if inaccurate. i think some cdns might also throttle?
I have a wired 100/100 fiber connection ( 115/102 real-world bandwidth) and the PS4 speed test usually reads about 100 down an 28 up for me. My downloads averaged about 12 megabyte per second over the summer but have dropped to 6 or 7MB per second max recently. I get frequent drops to less than 1MB per second lately.

My download speeds were fine, but after installing 2.00 they have been fluctuating from slow to fast. Really annoying. I haven't tried downloading anything on 2.01 yet.

RedAssedApe

Banned
whelp there goes that theory. i'm not exactly sure how bandwidth allocation for CDNs work...does Sony pony up for a specific amount of bandwidth usage? so maybe they could be cheaping out and/or maxing out their bandwidth allocation due to there being too many PS owners now?

just tales from the ass on my part now haha don't really know what im talking bout

Mastperf

whelp there goes that theory. i'm not exactly sure how bandwidth allocation for CDNs work...does Sony pony up for a specific amount of bandwidth usage? so maybe they could be cheaping out and/or maxing out their bandwidth allocation due to there being too many PS owners now?

just tales from the ass on my part now haha don't really know what im talking bout
No harm in trying to help. It's clearly a bandwidth issue but hopefully it's a side effect of them doing upgrades rather than them letting the service degrade.

Ok, just tried downloading a demo on 2.01 and now it's just completely slow. Takes maybe 2-3 a second per MB. Prior to 2.00 I was getter 3MB/s. Looks like I won't be downloading anything from PSN until it's fixed.

Edit: after playing with it, it's still the same as 2.00 ; going slow then fast etc.

Vire

I don't understand why I get only 37 Mbps on my PS4 and 75 on my desktop. Both are wired connections.

It totally happened to me before 2.0. My Vita and PS4 did exact thing this all the time before I switched to Google's DNS. Since then I haven't had a single problem.

Bowler

Can't say I'm in that boat at all. Ps4 speeds have been excellent since day 1 for me.

I'm on 2.01, binding of Issac 10 minutes ago took about a minute to download and 20 seconds to install.

I am running a hybrid 7200 rpm terabyte drive though.

Tratorn

Yes, I have also awful download speeds since a little while... I'm not sure if that started with FW 2.0, but since several people here say the same, they must have f***ed something up with it.

Pause and resume helps sometimes, but even then it's imo still not as fast as before.

Anyone else having trouble with viewing twitch streams via Live from Playstation? They load up to 75% and then error out. Haven't had this problem since before the firmware updates. UStream streaming loads up fine.

The downloads were slow for me too post 2.0 update. Couldn't even manage to download Evolve Alpha in time before it ended :(

But I noticed today that downloads are back to their usual speed now. But to be honest, I never tested downloading after 2.01 update and only did so on 2.0 firmware so maybe it was fixed in 2.01 firmware, or maybe it was the cause of PSN load due to the release of COD: AW.

Haxxona

Banned
This used to happen to me back on 1.74 where downloading the latest bf4 patches and dlc was constantly looking like a rollercoaster.
This does not happen when downloading on my laptop or watching netflix or anything like that.
The graph should be fairly constant bit it never has been on my ps4, 1.75 was good but not awesome like my 360 was.
This is all via a wired connection

ChryZ

I had speed issues out of nowhere, manually forced Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, that completely resolved the problem.

Bluforce

I had speed issues out of nowhere, manually forced Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, that completely resolved the problem.

Not for me. I use Google DNS for years, but downloading something on PS4 after 2.00 is super slow.

Abylim

The electric wiring in my house is ancient too, I didn't expect it would work well but it does. Worth giving it a shot, if it doesn't work out you can just return it after all.

Can I just plug it into a powerboard? I really need a wired connection, but my room is too far away.
Does it literally just work as easy it sounds?

Haxxona

Banned
Its worth mentioning that Google's DNS isnt suitable for anyone outside the us. The latency is to big for it to actually benefit you if you live in Europe for example
Can I just plug it into a powerboard? I really need a wired connection, but my room is too far away.
Does it literally just work as easy it sounds?
Pretty much yeah, still not 100% if your wiring is shitty but it seems like the other guy got it to work pretty good.

This has me really worried, I really hope they put the GTAV pre-load up early enough to download in time for release, and not 24 hours before or some shit.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
There are some sites and softwares (google them) that analise where you live and gives you the best possible DNS.
It might help.

Portugeezer

So I am downloading PS+ games, check the speed, and it's exactly like the OP.

Getting around 400KB download speed, I'm on a 50Mb connection so my download should be about 7MB.

Fake edit: It suddenly picked up speed and downloaded a few seconds as I typed this... WTF!

Downloading Escape Plan, which is a few GB's, also starting slow, I'll see if it picks up.

Edit: The speed randomly goes up, then back down. I don't know why... like, for a few seconds I get max download speed, then it crawls back down.

Top Bottom