• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exremely slow PS4 download speed

Recently bought a PS4 and damn this is affecting me big time. Even the smallest updates take way too long. So is there still no fix? (except for buying one of those powerline adapters)

Yoday

Recently bought a PS4 and damn this is affecting me big time. Even the smallest updates take way too long. So is there still no fix? (except for buying one of those powerline adapters)
The only fix is to go into rest mode when downloading. Internet speed has nothing to do with it, downloads are being throttled on the PS4, but either not at all or much less while in rest mode.

Jo-El

Isn't the issue server-side? I mean, I know the WiFi chip in the PS4 is pretty cheap, but it can't be that bad.

Must be. My speeds are slightly better wired, but still horrendous compared to downloading anything on my pc.

Mastperf

I've recently started playing some PS3 games again and I've been getting better speeds than I do with my PS4. It's terrible compared to what I got at launch. No modern network selling 50+GB games should be this slow.

Poeton

People on wired still experience the same issue.

I rearranged my modem/router because of the horrible wireless connectivity on my PS4. Now my living room entertainment is all wired up, which is better because 90% of my internet consumption takes place in the living room.

With that being said wired is thoroughly a better experience than wireless but I still get random slowdowns on my PS4 when I download a game. Very bizarre

etta

my hard graphic balls
Must be. My speeds are slightly better wired, but still horrendous compared to downloading anything on my pc.

I mean, it has been known for a while that the issue is server side, I don't know why everyone recommends to plug it in to ethernet. I guess as you say, in some situations it may help a bit or quite a lot.

Kind of weird that Sony isn't communicating about this. The digital market is only gonna increase, they really have to start improving their CDN's.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Isn't the issue server-side? I mean, I know the WiFi chip in the PS4 is pretty cheap, but it can't be that bad.

It is sever side since even on wire it says I have a great connection with my 100mbps connection yet when I download something... Time Remaining-9h it eventually lowers to about 1-2 hours yet on steam downloading a game like Bioshock Infinite with all DLC takes like an hour

Slaythe

It is sever side since even on wire it says I have a great connection with my 100mbps connection yet when I download something... Time Remaining-9h it eventually lowers to about 1-2 hours yet on steam downloading a game like Bioshock Infinite with all DLC takes like an hour

Whaaat ?

I have 500 mbps on pc,ps4 is wired and it never went above 50..

NewDust

Problems don't seem to be just server side. Recently replaced my ps4 hdd, without back-up options this meant downloading over 500gb of data. The downloads start with decent speed (wired 100 mbit connection, don't have actual measurements of the dl speeds) but degrade heavily after 30-50 minutes of downloading. Restarting the ps4 seemed to rejuviate the dl speeds.

m@cross

In general;

1. Make sure you use a cable and not wifi, wifi will never e as fast and is more prone to issues than a physical cable connection.

2. Double check the cable you are using is the correct standard for the bandwidth you expect.

3. Try a different cable to make sure the current one is not defective/damaged.

4. Check your routers settings, all of them, and educate yourself on what they do and how best to configure them for your specific circumstances.

I know a decent amount about networking, have done it as a job before, and just last month I checked my router and discovered a setting I switched that stopped my connection problems in GTAV. You never know.

If you do all of this and nothing gets better, it could be that the cable company is throttling you or specific services used by you. Comcast has a partnership with Microsoft and if it is anything like the one they forced on Netflix, it could very well be partially related to them forcing a worse pipe on PlayStation traffic.

All of that being said, the PS network is not great in general, so I don't think you'll ever get it using full bandwidth, though my suggestions may help improve things.

Also sometimes if you stop the download, wait a couple minutes and restart, it might get much faster.

otapnam

If youre on a router from your tv/cable provider and have wireless tv boxes, get another router for the ps4 to be on. It Worked for me. I think there were port conflicts that you Couldnt get around otherwise

Downloaded GTA V on my PC Friday, about 10Mb/s average download speed.

Downloaded Bloodborne on Friday, using the same ethernet cable (my PS4 is right next to my PC) : about 200kb/s speed, had to wait until saturday afternoon to launch the game and fucking Sunday night to fully download.

So yeah, I agree with the thread title.

Mikey Jr.

I switched to wired just to check speeds. My problem isn't so much speed, but just consistency.

Without fail, I'll download at 4-5 mbps, which I am happy with.

But then every 15 seconds, it'll crawl to 200kpbs for I would say 15 seconds, then back up to 5mbps, rinse and repeat. Its dumb and I have no idea why it happens.

saunderez

I don't know why it makes a difference but local proxy allows me to max out my connection when a direct connection doesn't.

I use SKFUProxy on my server, no special settings. Just load it up, click start and input the proxy IP and port into the PS4. It worked last night when I was downloading Dark Souls 2, before proxy it was going to take 130 minutes, after proxy it took about 30 mins which is in line with my maximum speed.

It goes against all logic. I'm using the same internet connection. I'm using the same LAN path. Nothing is changing except for the downloads being performed on the proxy and relayed to the PS4. But it's been reproducible 100% of the time and as skeptical as I am I can't argue with the results.

I don't know why it makes a difference but local proxy allows me to max out my connection when a direct connection doesn't.

I use SKFUProxy on my server, no special settings. Just load it up, click start and input the proxy IP and port into the PS4. It worked last night when I was downloading Dark Souls 2, before proxy it was going to take 130 minutes, after proxy it took about 30 mins which is in line with my maximum speed.

It goes against all logic. I'm using the same internet connection. I'm using the same LAN path. Nothing is changing except for the downloads being performed on the proxy and relayed to the PS4. But it's been reproducible 100% of the time and as skeptical as I am I can't argue with the results.

I don't have a server, can I still do this some how?

Sanpei

i had this problem...My Nat was Type 2

Then i have changed my DNS ( i was using Google DNS)..Now it's fine...
Try to change your DNS if you have slow downloads

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Is anyone here currently using this program?
I'm wondering if the software is safe from any unwanted shenanigans and whether or not directly downloading the .pkg files can get you in trouble with Sony.

I made a test with this solution yesterday and so far so good. I don't know if this method voids the warrant or brake any rule.

But i don't think so, because you can only start the download of games that you already have. And the only thing that the .pkgs are good for is using them on ps4.

Having same issue here, 76/20 connection, 300kbps speeds most of the time, Have tried different routes, wired/wireless/wireless 5ghz adapter, new firmware for router, different ps4, you name it, i've ruled out everything. It's either the ISP or PS4 is causing this.

Nuszka

Still have slow download speed, since last week. On my end everything was ok until drive club, batman, planetside release date. Wonder if they will bother sorting it out, seems really annoying.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I just bought a ps4 exclusively for mp, I have my xbone for the exclusives and this is a total piss take, I can't load the motherfucking psn store and it took 5+ hours to do a 3gb update. Meanwhile on my xbox I managed to download titan fall with EA access in like 2 hours.

I'm fuming

Walpurgis

Banned
I just bought a ps4 exclusively for mp, I have my xbone for the exclusives and this is a total piss take, I can't load the motherfucking psn store and it took 5+ hours to do a 3gb update. Meanwhile on my xbox I managed to download titan fall with EA access in like 2 hours.

I'm fuming
It took me like 4 hours to download Rocket League, which is 1.5 GB. Ultra Street Fighter IV was set to take 30 hours at 14 GB but I reset my PS4 a few times and the download finished in less than 2 hours. PSN is truly an awful service, especially with the PS4's garbage OS. When you have issues with the PlayStation store or the trash OS loading indefinitely (which will be often), just reset the console. It makes me so mad because the PS3 was so much better. I don't even think Sony has acknowledged these issues so we'll just have to take it for the rest of the gen.

TheDivision2014

Neo Member
I bought a PS4 for Uncharted, Ratchet&Clank and The last of us. Since there was a deal for a TLOU key I downloaded it. God damn it's slow and I even pay for their online services. It took a whole day for 10 GB. Now I know why they implemented that you can already start playing even though it hasn't finished downloading.
I'm all digital on my Xbox One but for the PS4 I will buy everything on disc. It's a bit sad because it works so perfect on the X1 and I even pay less for their online service (there are good deals in Europe).
It's a shame that you have to go with a wired connection to improve your speed. That shouldn't be needed nowadays.

SighFight

I was dealing with the same issue but that custom DNS fix (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) solved it for me.

My ps4 is wired and I had show downloads last Sunday. I tried several DNS Server and I got huge increases! For gaming I had to switch back to my initial provider server.

CHANGING THE DNS SERVER IN THE PS4 NETWORK SETTINGS HELPS. look for open DNS servers on the Internet and try some.

c0de

My ps4 is wired and I had show downloads last Sunday. I tried several DNS Server and I got huge increases! For gaming I had to switch back to my initial provider server.

CHANGING THE DNS SERVER IN THE PS4 NETWORK SETTINGS HELPS. look for open DNS servers on the Internet and try some.

At least it helped you, which is totally fine, but given how DNS works, this won't be the best and only solution for everyone.

It didn't work for me. Like before the DNS change, the PS4 speed test says 8 mbit down (which is fine, because I have 16 mbit and I'm going wired through PowerLine in an old building) and the 2.9 GB Bloodborne patch still took 3-4 hours to download. Which means I can download with around 2-3 mbit from PSN. That's pretty horrible.

The overall PSN experience is pretty disappointing for me and I couldn't see myself ever paying for it, while it's in such a state.

brobban

All my problems started after the 2.0 update, so something must be bad on Sonys side of things.
On Steam, running wireless I get ~ 20 MB/s, on PS4 running wired I get ~ 200KB - 5MB/s, fluctuating like crazy.

SighFight

It didn't work for me. Like before the DNS change, the PS4 speed test says 8 mbit down (which is fine, because I have 16 mbit and I'm going wired through PowerLine in an old building) and the 2.9 GB Bloodborne patch still took 3-4 hours to download. Which means I can download with around 2-3 mbit from PSN. That's pretty horrible.

The overall PSN experience is pretty disappointing for me and I couldn't see myself ever paying for it, while it's in such a state.

The download speed measurement in the connection test was completely unrelated to the psn download speed when I changed the DNS servers.

Lupercal

Banned
Whenever this happens to me (maybe 5 times in these 18 months) I just test my internet connection again and it's all fine.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Changing the prim/secondary DNS to googles and messing with the MTU upped it to .7 mb/s

I genuinely can't believe there is barely anyone complaining about service that is so poor I feel like the dumb cunt for going down and buying the damn thing. Just bought witcher 3 and .5gb update has so far taken 30 minutes and is 1/3 of the way through. I am disgusted.

Whenever this happens to me (maybe 5 times in these 18 months) I just test my internet connection again and it's all fine.

I suppose it's alright for some then!

Download speeds have always been OK for me. Just checked and it took me around 30 minutes to download 7.5GB Witcher 3 patch (wired connection).

2I5bTeV.jpg

Perhaps it's region specific?

Wired, people; Always use wired.

It's not an universal solution, people. Not an universal solution.

Download speeds have always been OK for me. Just checked and it took me around 30 minutes to download 7.5GB Witcher 3 patch (wired connection).

Perhaps it's region specific?

That's what I've been thinking. Maybe it would help if people with problems would post the country they're from, instead of having people without problems chiming in and saying how great it is, while not offering a solution or suggestion at all.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
That's what I've been thinking. Maybe it would help if people with problems would post the country they're from, instead of having people without problems chiming in and saying how great it is, while not offering a solution or suggestion at all.
Well, in that case, I'm Irish, am currently with Vodafone, sporting a 50Mb download speed, wireless (I'm a mile away from the router, and I doubt my house's electric grid is capable for a decent power line connection) and from the PS4's speed test, I'm barely getting above dial up at 74.9Kb/s. Yet somehow, in rest mode, the downloads are lightning fast, as they should be, so what's the problem, I have no idea.

HardRojo

Could it be my ISP restricting access? I live in Peru and we recently had a problem that went viral here. Our ISP (Telefónica/Movistar in my case) started restricting traffic on Twitch before TI5 started. People went to complain online since it was literally impossible to watch Twitch even on the lowest of qualities. Apparently Twitch caught wind of the restriction and their engineers came up with a workaround and now we're able to use Twitch no problem. I'm pretty sure gaming makes up for a lot of Internet traffic, so our ISP is probably restricting it here? I should be downloading 5 GB in an hour no problem, but my PSN download speeds recently have been abysmal. Wired connection by the way.

Intel_89

I just picked up my PS4 and it's sloooooooooooooooow, my bedroom signal isn't the best there is (I get over 100mb wired in the living room, about 10mb on wireless here) and yet I can only download stuff at 700kb-1.3mb speeds on my PS4. Apparently Powerline seems the way to go but considering my house is pretty old I'm afraid to waste money on it in vain. Decisioooooooooooooooons.

Top Bottom