• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exremely slow PS4 download speed

ShutterMunster

I have speed issues as well that aren't present on my Xbox One. I'm wired, I have a 50/50 FIOS connection and in the early days my PS4 was a monster. Now it seems to pick it's spots. It will be going at an abysmal 500kbps and then all of a sudden shoot to 6-7Mbps for a while, then back down. It's tremendously frustrating. It does seem to download content much quicker while in rest mode. I don't know what the hell that is all about.

Having downloads go faster while in sleep/rest mode has been true for me ever since Sony introduced automatic downloads for PS3. I was seeing multiple full games downloading overnight, which was insane for me at the time, given the abysmal speeds I was getting when downloading while the system was on.

The same holds true for PS4, though I do get better speeds while the system is on compared to PS3.

Yoday

Are there any fixes for an alternating fast/slow download speed?

I'm wired using Ethernet, and running a connection test on PS4 always shows about 25Mbps speed.

But when I try to download something, it alternates between super fast, and super slow, over and over.
The best way around it is to download everything while in rest mode. For whatever reason downloads fluctuate less when you aren't doing anything else, and seem to be by far the most consistent while in rest mode. So start your downloads, put your PS4 into rest mode, and go do something else while checking on your downloads periodically. Other than that, no. This seems to be an issue introduced with FW 2.0, and only Sony can fix it.

masteratt

Don't worry guys Sony said they are charging for online play to deliver us a next-gen PSN infrastructure. The slow DL speeds are just part of it.

As is the PS3 store loading like it's running on a cassette player And messages taking 20mins to show up on the console that is their latest and greatest.

We also have the awesome feature of down time and maintenance (planned or unplanned), well, whenever Sony feels like it really. Watch their twitter feed for the fortnightly exciting tweets of "our engineers are aware PSN is down" updates. So next-gen.

Also your friend's avatars might not load most of the time and just show up as grey faces. Some kind of network error? Nope. Procedurally generated Friend List avatars. Only on PSN. #4ThePlayers

What's New section spinning and spinning until you stop caring about it? Yep, that will happen too. That's just next-gen network power of PSN, don't worry about it.

So yeah no worries, Sony is investing that PS+ money wisely. PSN 2.0 is here.

/drive by rant post

More proper post: Yes DL speeds are shite along with all above. Sony, seriously get your shit together.

PS: Avid PS user. But PSN feels like it's built on a pile of matchboxes.

I don't think DNS changes necessarily fixes it, it's more like any network change temporarily fixed the speeds.

For example I change the connection from wired to wireless and back to wired and that causes speeds to maximize my connection until I reset the console. Its almost assuredly a glitch.

Im downloading the free PS4 games now wirelessly and the download speed is SO slow usually it will take about 2 hours or so(I Have time warner cable high speed internet) but now its saying HOURS..and I went to network settings and did the internet speed test and it says download is 2.2 mbps which is slow usually its around 10 or so

Aurizen

I'm using a wired connection and I'm paying comcast for 105 down and 10 up... and my speed test shows I'm getting 4.8 up and 27 down, I took that same connection and plugged it in my laptop and I got 127/10.... the issue is sony I suppose

ironcreed

Banned
My PS4 is great, but I just bought another PS3 and I am lucky to even get a download done without it slowing to a crawl or stopping outright. This is the 4th PS3 that I have had and never had this issue before. Needless to say, it is going straight back to Gamestop tomorrow.

Slaythe

500 mbps connection here. (PC)

Wired ps4.

Max of 45 mbps on the ps4.

Downloads at 1 mbps if i'm lucky. . . . . .

Downloaded the same game on steam and ps4 out of spite, got the game in 3 min on steam. 4 hours on ps4........................

ironcreed

Banned
It sounds like PSN is just randomly throttled to hell and back for some folks, despite how fast their connection is. Pretty peculiar.

In my case, I don't know if it is the PS3 or one of these cases that I keep hearing about. All I know is that it is unacceptable. I am probably going to exchange it for a 500 GB 360.

clintar

So have you guys tried using a proxy? It helps on my PS4, but the latest version of Hulu stopped working throught he proxy. On PS3, I had the same issue with the Amazon Instant Video sadly, so there are some gotchas, and you have to always have it running. In my case, I just put a proxy (tinyproxy) on my OpenWRT router so it's always available.
Demonite has instructions on this Youtube page (click show more):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhrXeXvlqDU

It's PS3 instructions, but that's easy to adapt

ironcreed

Banned
So have you guys tried using a proxy? It helps on my PS4, but the latest version of Hulu stopped working throught he proxy. On PS3, I had the same issue with the Amazon Instant Video sadly, so there are some gotchas, and you have to always have it running. In my case, I just put a proxy (tinyproxy) on my OpenWRT router so it's always available.
Demonite has instructions on this Youtube page (click show more):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhrXeXvlqDU

It's PS3 instructions, but that's easy to adapt

I tried similar tricks with the new PS3 I just returned, but to no avail. I never had any issues before and loved PS3 dearly, but am not putting up with throttled downloads, nor should I have to resort to shit like this in order to try and get around it. I just returned it and got another 360 instead. Downloading some of my old library now with no problem.

Trying to download the latest update of GTAV but the damn it's so slow. I tried yesterday but gave up waiting so I put it on today and it's barely any different. Their servers are all over the place, sometimes it's fine then it goes slow again. I know this has been known before but I wish they would do something about it. PSN AUS btw but I know it's a worldwide problem.

The thing is I've been buying a lot of digital content lately and didn't run into any issues. Maybe it's just GTAV, I will have to try something different.

drotahorror

Trying to download the latest update of GTAV but the damn it's so slow. I tried yesterday but gave up waiting so I put it on today and it's barely any different. Their servers are all over the place, sometimes it's fine then it goes slow again. I know this has been known before but I wish they would do something about it. PSN AUS btw but I know it's a worldwide problem.

The thing is I've been buying a lot of digital content lately and didn't run into any issues. Maybe it's just GTAV, I will have to try something different.

Since you tried it yesterday, why didn't you just leave the ps4 in rest mode to download over night?

I don't think DNS changes necessarily fixes it, it's more like any network change temporarily fixed the speeds.

For example I change the connection from wired to wireless and back to wired and that causes speeds to maximize my connection until I reset the console. Its almost assuredly a glitch.

It's definitely a glitch. Mine were fine before 2.0, now they fluctuate like crazy.

It's definitely a glitch. Mine were fine before 2.0, now they fluctuate like crazy.

After the latest update 2.4? my PS4 downloads have been absolutely horrible, i'd always get 1mbps and 900kbps prior to this .... Which is fine because I have horrible internet, but now its at like 11-200 kbps and that's inexcusable

wtf sony :(

Hag

I just got my ps4 and I trying to download the Xrd update and its takiing forever :/

people still have problems with download speed?

It's not a glitch, these problems have been around for a long, long time. Blame your ISP or Sony/Akamai (Sony's content delivery network) for the system they put in place. Honestly, I think the majority of the fault lies with Akamai for just having a bad CDN. The reason why changing DNS to Google or some other public DNS works is because of the way traffic is directed to the CDN servers.

Akamai redirects you to servers based on your DNS settings. Akamai sees that you are coming from Time Warner? Sends you to the nearest Time Warner server. At that point, there's either something wrong with the way your ISP is caching, their peering is screwed, the server could just be overloaded or god only knows what else.

Before I switched my DNS settings, I was getting sub 100kb/s speeds. Switched to Google and it's been blazing fast except for several occasions when I tried to download big ticket things during prime time hours.

SkylineRKR

Its ridiculous for the past weeks. 2gb took me well over 2 hours, like wtf.

I'm on a 120mbit line, until last winter I would download such a thing in mere minutes. Test Connection shows 70mbit or so. Still sort of meh for wired but acceptable. So I guess its either throttled or glitched. DNS doesn't do shit.

Naudi

Banned
I have 15/15 internet. Downloaded the 5.5gig FFXV demo in about 18minutes. That's using wired connection. If I did wireless probably would have been over an hour.

We are supposed to be getting 50/10 from Comcast. But on wired connections, we get above 100 download for some reason. On ps4 I am lucky to get 15 download

Yoday

It's not a glitch, these problems have been around for a long, long time. Blame your ISP or Sony/Akamai (Sony's content delivery network) for the system they put in place. Honestly, I think the majority of the fault lies with Akamai for just having a bad CDN. The reason why changing DNS to Google or some other public DNS works is because of the way traffic is directed to the CDN servers.

Akamai redirects you to servers based on your DNS settings. Akamai sees that you are coming from Time Warner? Sends you to the nearest Time Warner server. At that point, there's either something wrong with the way your ISP is caching, their peering is screwed, the server could just be overloaded or god only knows what else.

Before I switched my DNS settings, I was getting sub 100kb/s speeds. Switched to Google and it's been blazing fast except for several occasions when I tried to download big ticket things during prime time hours.
I don't buy it. That argument doesn't hold up when everything was fine on the PS4 until the moment FW 2.0 was installed, and downloading in rest mode significantly increases download speeds. The PS4 was pretty much maxing out my 50mbps connection at all times prior to 2.0, and as soon as it was installed was when the speed fluctuations started.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
In the past, 3 gigs would take me about 3-4 minutes to download on my wired PS4. Last night, it took 45 minutes to download FF Type 0. which was 3 gigs. Exact same router, ISP, etc. I have no idea what has happened recently, but it's definitely not on my end.

My PC and phone use the same router and still get blazing fast speeds.

paxromana

Banned
I had similar issues back when I had a PS4. Downloads would be fine some days, but other days they would slow down to a crawl. I remember it took a whole night and a few hours in the morning one time to download Resogun.
I was on 25/10 internet from Bell Fibe with Google's DNS and plugged into the router.
I think it's time for Sony to be straight with us and say why their network is so flaky. I hope they do so before this fall when I get back in.
The speeds are always solid and maxed out on my Xbox One, I'd wish the same thing for the PS4.

I have Comcast 105mb internet/use OpenDNS settings and my speeds fluctuate wildly. Sometimes I get 300kb and sometimes I get 5mb, where it seems to top out. Everything else on my network gets way more than that, even the Wii U.

paxromana

Banned
I have Comcast 105mb internet/use OpenDNS settings and my speeds fluctuate wildly. Sometimes I get 300kb and sometimes I get 5mb, where it seems to top out. Everything else on my network gets way more than that, even the Wii U.

Maybe someone can make a thread similar to the "AF on PS4 - we need answers!" I wonder if that'll get their attention as the AF thread did.

I mean this would be a much bigger issue that needs fixing when compared with AF. I get the WiFi chip is cheap Sony, but even on wired this stuff happens...

My connection speed swings wildly between < 100k/sec and 3+ mb/sec, generally staying near the very low end. On a 50/50 fiber connection. Could be much better.

My internet is so slow the best I can get is .5mb dl. It sucks, but I'm patient. The problem is the connection on PS4 slows down so much lately it just stops the dl completely (it even knocks out my router) and I have to manually re-dl what I was dl-ing. It's gotten so frequent the current patch for Driveclub turns itself off seconds after it starts.

RAMsnooter

Neo Member
I have Comcast at 130 down and 13 Mbps upload at the moment. Upload speeds aren't bad on my PS4 as I'm getting around 11-12 Mbps upload on wired and about 6-10 on Wi-Fi. However my downloads are nowhere near max at about 40 wired and 10-15 Mbps on WiFi. 10-15? This was all tested using 3 different speed test sites via the internet browser on the PS4 (the built in tester in Network settings is a poor test). I've tried about everything you can on the PS4 and Comcast gateway: port forwarding, dmz, DNS settings, static IP, removing security, changing channels, changing cables, etc. I even went out and purchased a separate router and put the gateway in switch mode but still no luck.

It could be the PS4 just doesn't like the Comcast equipment. My Xbox One download speeds are way better than the PS4 on wired and wireless so I know that higher speeds are possible on the gateway. I was hoping the networking hardware in the PS4 would be an improvement over my old PS3 but it looks like the same issues all over again. I accept that the wireless performance may suck but I expected the wired connection to be much better. Does the PS4 reserve a ton of bandwidth for any reason? I don't know.

Since I upgraded to the latest firmware 2.51 my download speeds are now fine. It used to fluctuate from slow to fast but it's been going maxed out now. I don't know if it's permanent thing, but it's fine now.

Anyone else notice an improvement?

Alej

Banned
Since I upgraded to the latest firmware 2.51 my download speeds are now fine. It used to fluctuate from slow to fast but it's been going maxed out now. I don't know if it's permanent thing, but it's fine now.

Yep. I downloaded the whole PS2 Beta yesterday in less than 40 minutes using my 100mbps connection, not too shabby and simply better than before.

Good to here, hopefully it stays like that. For the record I downlaoded three things: firmware, drive club and Bloodborne patch. My connection is only 30mbit and it was using all of it.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed an improvement, but it's still not as good as it was pre-2.50. I'm still getting fluctuations.

Ashler

4089604302.png

Yet I can't get higher than 500KB/s download on my ps4 which is wired to my router that is about 5 feet away. Tried everything I could think of. Only thing that makes sense as this point is that the last big update screwed up something, as it was fine before that.

Dude, disconnect your Ethernet cable from that backbone, turn off your laptop and walk away, before I call the cops!!

Sick connection you've got there.

MajorTom

I think they must have just fixed something. I have a pretty slow connection and i just downloaded the latest Bloodborne patch in like half an hour. This might sound pretty slow for some of you but it would usually take almost 3 hours for a patch of a similar size.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think they must have just fixed something. I have a pretty slow connection and i just downloaded the latest Bloodborne patch in like half an hour. This might sound pretty slow for some of you but it would usually take almost 3 hours for a patch of a similar size.
You probably just downloaded a small piece of the patch, like 250MB or something. PS4's patching system works like that. If you already have a previous patch, its able to filter out the new data that you need, instead of downloading the whole patch again. I dont know if its always been like this on PS4, and i'm not sure if this is something that the developers would have to do when releasing a patch or if the PS4 notice it automatically for every patch, but i noticed it on a Driveclub patch as well.

I was going to make a topic about this, but I am a junior member, so I can't LOL

I recommend everybody to switch from wireless to wired. It is much better. It is not affected by other electronics, and the connection is faster and much more stable.

The main issue I had was the fact the router was in my basement and my systems are on the top floor. I felt it would be too much hasle to wire the systems, but in fact it is really easy.

Just buy this at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

71v2ljxq2YL._SL1500_.jpg

Very cheap, 35 bucks. You basically connect this to any power outlet. The first one you connect close to the router/modem via ethernet cable. The other one you put on the power outlet that is close to your systems. The beauty is that it can be several feet away, different floors and still works fine.

THen I used this switcher:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FNFSPY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

61ZURe-SAzL._SL1280_.jpg

I connected this switcher to the other powerline device. Then I connected all my systems (wii U, xbox one and ps4) via ethernet cable. Now all of them have wired connections and that cost me 45 bucks. The speeds are basically the same if you have connected directly to your modem. Maybe a 10% loss at most, but In my case it was almost identical.

Now I don't care about updates messing up with the wifi download speeds.

Just do that guys

I was going to make a topic about this, but I am a junior member, so I can't LOL

I recommend everybody to switch from wireless to wired. It is much better. It is not affected by other electronics, and the connection is faster and much more stable.

The main issue I had was the fact the router was in my basement and my systems are on the top floor. I felt it would be too much hasle to wire the systems, but in fact it is really easy.

Just buy this at amazon:

71v2ljxq2YL._SL1500_.jpg

Very cheap, 35 bucks. You basically connect this to any power outlet. The first one you connect close to the router/modem via ethernet cable. The other one you put on the power outlet that is close to your systems. The beauty is that it can be several feet away, different floors and still works fine.

61ZURe-SAzL._SL1280_.jpg

I connected this switcher to the other powerline device. Then I connected all my systems (wii U, xbox one and ps4) via ethernet cable. Now all of them have wired connections and that cost me 45 bucks. The speeds are basically the same if you have connected directly to your modem. Maybe a 10% loss at most, but In my case it was almost identical.

Just do that guys
I'm set up the exact same way. Got a power line adapter and a switch.

Btw, why is it called a switch?

Just buy this at amazon:

[imghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71v2ljxq2YL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ZURe-SAzL._SL1280_.jpg[/img]

Just do that guys

Does this add a lot of noise or latency to the connection?

domlolz

Banned
you shouldn't have to buy new hardware to solve the ps4's pretty abysmal wireless though (or to not use it at all), my wii u is right next to the ps4 and that is fine (downloads several mb a sec) yet the ps4 connection is all over the place. infact the wireless on the ps4 is the worst i've used in a console. last night spotify was constantly buffering every few seconds which is ridiculous. does the ps4 have some issue with background downloading because that would explain why spotify and downloads not done while the console is on standby are so crap.

Top Bottom