• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F*ck Konami: MGSV FOBs beyond the first must be bought via macrotransactions

J-Skee

Everyone keeps saying screw Konami, but how do we know this wasn't part of Kojima's design? I can definitely see Konami adding this stuff in after the whole debacle, but I don't want to point fingers until we get the whole story.

Jesus Christ, everything else is in game hours, but this, surely not?

I cant confirm if its real hours or in game as the guide doesnt mention it.

But they range from 0 to 120, with A LOT at 96 hours and a few at 120 hours.

Again, I'm happy to take screenshots of this as its only 2 pages of the guide and put them here, but I'm wary due to them being essentially scans.

If a Mod wants to let me know, then please do so. :)

ironcreed

Banned
I hope this isn't attrociously balanced to the point it wrecks the single player progression.... but, you know it will be.

Read:

Originally Posted by GwyndolinCinder

After completing the game, i can confirm motherbase stuff becomes a real fucking grind, FOB's would dramatically reduce the time it takes to get resources you need to build bases and even deploy into the battlefield with certain items.

Auctopus

It is, Now I dont know if its in game hours or not, but it states:

Spoilered for name only:

Command (Lv. 4)
Time (Hours) 120

They must have changed that. Development happens in real-world hours but they stop developing when you turn the console off, it doesn't work like a normal F2P Mobile game.

UNLESS, when the serves come online, it will carry on development somehow. I just finished Command Level 3 and it took 120 minutes.

JackelZXA

Guys, why do you need more than one FOB?

All it's saying is if you wnat more than one base you have to purchase it. That's what I'm getting out of it.

The gist I'm getting is that the system was balanced around players getting a few FOB outposts to multiply gains, but that this purchase system means a game that's normally beatable in a reasonable amount of time becomes a huge grind for no reason. We don't know for sure yet, but that level 4 command post thing...I really hope that's not a requirement for beating the game's extra ending. That'd suck.

Lol, who will even buy this? One FOB is basically over 20 bucks...

Screw Konami! I'm going to have a blast playing my $60 Metal Gear experience, and stick it to them by not forking over even a single dollar more to their greedy business.

Hypron

So huh... Is there anyone here that's played both Peace Walker and TPP that can tell us if the progression speed is similar at the moment (without FOBs)?

Because I'd be fine with that.

Aqy23i2.jpg

I'm not spending a penny on them, but I'm too excited to play the game to boycott.

I do have a full list of time it takes in Hours to build stuff, if you like I can post that?

One of them is scary at 120 hours.

Woah wtf is that, im guessing you need to spoiler tag that.

After 60 hours my base is at
4/4
2/4
2/4
3/4
4/4
3/4
3/4
The amount of resources needed to upgrade to 4/4 is very high

ironcreed

Banned

Again, I'm happy to take screenshots of this and put them here, but I'm wary due to them being essentially scans.

The Games Radar Q&A from last week confirmed that it is real world time.

Soodanim

Gold Member
This may be blown slightly out of proportion, but it's a hell of a shame given that it's the end of the MGS run. Where's that Matrix "Not like this" gif?

The possible silver lining is that we know that even if for some reason no companies wanted him, Kojima could casually stroll onto Kickstarter and smash the records to pieces.

They must have changed that. Development happens in real-world hours but they stop developing when you turn the console off, it doesn't work like a normal F2P Mobile game.

UNLESS, when the serves come online, it will carry on development somehow. I just finished Command Level 3 and it took 120 minutes.

See, the guide states thats 96 hours.
So maybe it means hours for bought ones and not the free one?

Again, I cant clarify as I'm not that far into the game and can only go on what this guide states.

So whats stopping people from using a PC hack to get as many coins as they want? They can ban you from the online element but I doubt most people care about that. Its not out till next year anyway on the PC.

Assuming its possible to cheat that then its an option.

Gaz_RB

Lol, who will even buy this? One FOB is basically over 20 bucks...

Screw Konami! I'm going to have a blast playing my $60 Metal Gear experience, and stick it to them by not forking over even a single dollar more to their greedy business.

Seriously. It's kind of nuts.

And what's even more crazy is that people actually will pay $20 bucks for an FOB, and Konami will take that as a sign that they priced it right.

jabuseika

So whats stopping people from using a PC hack to get as many coins as they want? They can ban you from the online element but I doubt most people care about that. Its not out till next year anyway on the PC.

Assuming its possible to cheat that then its an option.

Nothing. That's why I bought the PC version. I bet even simple CheatEngine will work.

AwShucks

Glad I don't 100% games because it sounds like this would have required more money or a lot of time due to this.

I'll be blazing through like I always do, story mission after story mission, who cares about stealth? Either way though, this practice is horrible.

Boke1879

I hope this isn't attrociously balanced to the point it wrecks the single player progression.... but, you know it will be.

Like I said. People have already beaten the game and the servers were never on. SO it's possible and I wonder if anyone was truly bothered.

This seems to hamper late game items and development. Meaning you'll literally have to put in 100's of hours to max out everything.

Gaz_RB

Damn... So the only way of getting additional FOBs is to buy them with real cash?

Can i earn my first free FOB without grinding though?

I'm having a hard time understanding how konami thought this was ok.

Yeah first FOB is free, everyone gets one.

wow. I'm usually not one to get all up in arms about microtransactions but if I were reviewing this game it would heavily affect my final score. In fact if this wasn't Hideo's last MGS game I would be boycotting it altogether. As it is Konami won't be getting a single dime out of me ever again. Certainly not for these gross microtransactions. Please people, I'm not trying to shame anybody for how they spend their money but lets show some solidarity and absolutely NOT buy into this crap.

Ridley327

So huh... Is there anyone here that's played both Peace Walker and TPP that can tell us if the progression speed is similar at the moment (without FOBs)?

Because I'd be fine with that.

Peace Walker isn't a good comparison for this, since that requires you to complete missions in order to progress, or the bar doesn't move at all. It gets really tricky later on with the more exotic items, as you discover that there are missions that deal out more progress than others, which tend to be longer and more difficult. Anyone that had to develop the bandana in PW knows that struggle is all too real.

...that being said, Peace Walker also let you deploy about a dozen dispatch missions at once, with your only limitations being how many units in your Combat Unit and your collection of vehicles.

Hypron

Again, I'm happy to take screenshots of this as its only 2 pages of the guide and put them here, but I'm wary due to them being essentially scans.

Wait wat... 120 hours of in game time to unlock something? Damn konami.

Someone please tell me that's not required for the trophies D:

Peace Walker isn't a good comparison for this, since that requires you to complete missions in order to progress, or the bar doesn't move at all. It gets really tricky later on with the more exotic items, as you discover that there are missions that deal out more progress than others, which tend to be longer and more difficult. Anyone that had to develop the bandana in PW knows that struggle is all too real.

Yeah, I'm aware how the game worked (I unlocked almost everything I could — apart from 1/2 items because I fired a researcher with the required skills by accident haha — and didn't really find it bad at all).

You can still draw some sort of ballpark comparison between the two games even if you couldn't just leave the game AFK in Peace Walker. High end weapons would take a couple of hours to unlock. But according to what that other guy said, in TPP some weapons take over 100 hours to unlock, what the heck.

...that being said, Peace Walker also let you deploy about a dozen dispatch missions at once, with your only limitations being how many units in your Combat Unit and your collection of vehicles.

Dispatching soldiers worked differently in Peace Walker though, it'd just make your soldiers gain experience (i.e. increase their GMP value a little) and have a shot at getting a bit of loot (most of it being useless anyway, apart from the armoured suit with helmet). So yeah, you could send a dozen teams but it wasn't really that useful and mostly a waste of time. Once I finished all the outer ops I stopped dispatching guys.

So much for the bullshit Sean Eyestone said at E3 i.e "rest assured everything can be unlocked through playing the game... No pay to win" and the bullshit statement Konami made about gamespots "false" report that microtransactions are "simply accelerators"
FUCK KONAMI

Like I said. People have already beaten the game and the servers were never on. SO it's possible and I wonder if anyone was truly bothered.

This seems to hamper late game items and development. Meaning you'll literally have to put in 100's of hours to max out everything.

Peace Walker already did that and didn't have microtransactions... I guess that's the best way to look at it. Game was always going to be a bit grindy in the end game.... but the microtransactions still don't sit well.

Top Bottom