• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 DLC: Automatron ($10), WW ($5), Far Harbor ($25), More; Season Pass -> $50

GeeTeeCee

While the Far Harbor one sounds okay, I'm not sold on the others. Automatron costs more than I paid for The Witcher 3's Heart of Stone, and doesn't sound nearly as substantial based off the description.

I've only played about 2 hours of Fallout 4 since December anyway, so by the time I get round to buying dlc it'll probably be on sale.

I don't want to shock the pants off of you, but it's probably not passed the planning stage at this moment, so there's probably not anything to announce yet.

Or they expanded their plans.

Nah, can't be that. It'd be insane to think there's any reasonable and logical underpinning to how the season pass has been laid out, and the pricing structured. It's much more likely just Bethesda being evil and greedy.

ZangBa

I've never been dssapointed by Fallout DLC, so I'm looking forward to all of this, especially the settlement stuff. I know people seem to hate it, but it's honestly my favorite addition, I'm kind of a sucker for base building. C:

Of all three, Far Harbor sounds the most interesting to me. I just want more adventures, more quests and things to explore. I still haven't done much with the workshop. So it's the first and third that interest me most.

I'm hoping for something substantial for Far Harbor because I doubt I'll be getting the season pass while it's "discounted". I never really cared much for the settlement stuff just because a lot of the mechanics (Not being able to intersect objects without glitching is one...) doesn't gel with me.

I have a hunch though that Far Harbor will be more Point Lookout than (ugh) Operation Anchorage.

Guys: of course they want you to buy the season pass. That's why they're selling it. Offering a discount is obviously aimed at driving sales. You're not blowing anybody's mind, or coming up with a grand conspiracy. That's literally how business operates.

JTripper

so this is just a ploy to get a huge surge in season pass sales before 3/1 right? feels gross

Reposted from previous page:

It would be a ploy to me if they had already released some DLC then decided to up the season pass price after announcing more but the fact that this is their first specific mention of the game's DLC, I don't see a big problem.

Everyone who was going to get the DLC anyway probably already got the season pass. I mean, it's already significantly cheaper than most season passes sold today.

BiggNife

I would buy than anyway to judge by myself so I'm ok having already bought the season pass even if the DLCs are not that good.

That's cool, and I bet there are other people who feel the same, but I still feel like it's understandable why some people are annoyed by this.

Acerac

Banned
Can't wait to spring on the goty edition a couple years down the line.

30 dollars sounds like the correct price for the entirety of Fallout 4 + DLC.

icespide

Banned
Reposted from previous page:

It would be a ploy to me if they had already released some DLC then decided to up the season pass price after announcing more but the fact that this is their first specific mention of the game's DLC, I don't see a big problem.

Everyone who was going to get the DLC anyway probably already got the season pass. I mean, it's already significantly cheaper than most season passes sold today.

significantly cheaper? most season passes are usually $20-30 no?

L.O.R.D

i don't get it

Automatron is $9.99 USD
Wasteland Workshop is $4.99 USD
Far Harbor is $24.99 USD
all together is $40

why the season pass for $50 ?

anyone who buys the Season Pass for $29.99 before March 1st will get all $60 worth of content.
how is that worth $60?

Guys: of course they want you to buy the season pass. That's why they're selling it. Offering a discount is obviously aimed at driving sales. You're not blowing anybody's mind, or coming up with a grand conspiracy. That's literally how business operates.
What discount! Lmao o lord. It was already a $30 season pass. Whether i get it at release or a year later it should still be $30(or cheaper)

Fisty

Glad i grabbed it with the PSN 20% off code... hopefully they at least make the content worth the wait. I got the game as a gift and im waiting on all the DLC/patches before i start playing

Adaren

You're fine to have that opinion, I just don't get the anger. Buy it or don't. This isn't a scandal.

The anger is because people want good DLC at fair prices without being jerked around with marketing tactics designed to maximize the publisher's profits regardless of the quality of the final product.

Plenty of people won't buy it because of Bethesda's practices, but they wish they didn't have to make that choice. They wish Bethesda would do what publishers/developers did for years (and what a handful still do): put quality first and let the players reward them with well-deserved profits, not use marketing tricks that remove any incentive to actually create high-quality games/DLC.

Krakn3Dfx

At the end of the day, if you're playing Fallout 4 on PC (and probably consoles now as well), you're going to want everything in the season pass because there are significant mods that will come out and require DLC elements to run properly.

SP can be had for $24 on GMG w/ code FEBURY-SVINGS-20PERC right now, so if you have any interest in mods for the game, even if you think the content sounds like garbage, might be worth biting the bullet sooner than later.

JTripper

significantly cheaper? most season passes are usually $20-30 no?

More like $50 nowadays (Arkham Knight, Battlefield 4, Battlefront, Black Ops 3)

There are still many games that had season passes for $20-$30 but unfortunately the recent trend seems to be $50 season passes for big AAA games.

Far Harbor sounds the most interesting, and yet...

The description as a "more feral" area makes me think it's going to intentionally have a minimum of NPCs and thus a minimum of interesting story-based content, not really much in the way of a fixed dialogue system or choice-based questing.

And that's where your logic falls over.
Care to explain logically how that's so?

Purely from an economic standpoint:
Season Pass: $30
Automatron: $10-
Wasteland W: $5-
Far Harbor: $25-
Total DLC Cost in May($40) - Season Pass Cost ($30) = $10 Surplus

Just kinda not sure how that doesn't make sense outside of speculative "Far Harbor isn't going to be worth $25" statements.

What discount! Lmao o lord. It was already a $30 season pass. Whether i get it at release or a year later it should still be $30(or cheaper)

It still is a $30 season pass for the next two weeks. Jump on it or don't. They're not breaking any laws, so it's up to the market to decide.

The anger is because people want good DLC at fair prices without being jerked around with marketing tactics designed to maximize the publisher's profits regardless of the quality of the final product.

Plenty of people won't buy it because of Bethesda's practices, but they wish they didn't have to make that choice. They wish Bethesda would do what publishers/developers did for years (and what a handful still do): put quality first and let the players reward them with well-deserved profits, not use marketing tricks that remove any incentive to actually create high-quality games/DLC.

Great, I've been satisfied with Bethesdas DLC in the past. If you haven't been, don't buy. They're not doing anything scandalous, though.

Gonna have to pick up the PC season pass before the price jump. I got it for super cheap on ps4 wih the best buy glitch. Something like $45 for the game and pass on release.

_machine

They don't intend on selling any season passes at $50. The price hike is purely to pressure customers into impulse buying the season pass within the next 2 weeks.

But as long as it's making them money, I guess the players don't mind.
They will still sell plenty of Season Passes, assuming that the more casual audience wouldn't still bite is a bit ridiculous.

icespide

Banned
More like $50 nowadays (Arkham Knight, Battlefield 4, Battlefront, Black Ops 3)

There are still many games that had season passes for $20-$30 but unfortunately the recent trend seems to be $50 season passes for big AAA games.

seems like most single player games are still around $30, with Batman being the outlier. The $50 trend seems to be with multiplayer shooters

i don't get it

Automatron is $9.99 USD
Far Harbor is $24.99 USD
all together is $40

how is that worth $60?

Someone didn't read the story linked in the OP:

And more important, that this is only the beginning. We have plans for more. More than $60 worth of new Fallout adventures and features throughout 2016.

There is more DLC for 2016 that has not been announced. ;)

That's cool, and I bet there are other people who feel the same, but I still feel like it's understandable why some people are annoyed by this.

What's there to be annoyed by?

Before the game came out, Bethesda said "Hey, we don't have anything to announce specifically about DLC yet, but we're going to sell the season pass at a lower price for early adopters", and they offered it at $30.

So it's a given some people bought it at that price, while others have waited to see what's included. Now that they're telling us the first three items coming in the season pass (this is important, as it seems like a lot of people are missing that the content announced today is not the entirety of the season pass content) are, and that the "real" price of the season pass will be $50, but there's another couple weeks for early adopters.

If you didn't buy the pass yet, today's announcement means nothing to you, other than detailing a product that will be offered, and letting you know the price today is not the permanent price. Given that the $30 was always supposed to be a discounted price, this isn't new information, outside of the specific details.

The only legitimate complain here has nothing to do with the price, and everything do with whether or not you're happy about the what DLC they *are* making, and I can see how some might want more story DLC and fewer "features" that could/might be mods anyway.

Tizoc

Yeah so we can buy it for the price it will actually be worth.

You mean $10? And I'm being generous here.

At the end of the day, if you're playing Fallout 4 on PC (and probably consoles now as well), you're going to want everything in the season pass because there are significant mods that will come out and require DLC elements to run properly.

SP can be had for $24 on GMG w/ code FEBURY-SVINGS-20PERC right now, so if you have any interest in mods for the game, even if you think the content sounds like garbage, might be worth biting the bullet sooner than later.

That's $23 too much, and while I am getting FO4 on Steam, I don't see the logic in paying for the same price of the game (which has gone as low as $25 before) for expansions that may as well be of the same quality and length of Arkham Knight's DLC.
I'm taking the safe way out and wait for FO4+Season Pass to hit $10 or less, game already made billions for Bethy, they ain't gettin' poorer without my dough.

Amazing how transparent this is and yet people are falling for it left and right.

I'll wait for reviews.

Falling for what exactly?

If you like the game and want more of it spend the $30. If not don't.

The $50 season pass will be on sale eventually also anyway. Wait and see if you like.

i don't get it

Automatron is $9.99 USD
Far Harbor is $24.99 USD
all together is $40

how is that worth $60?

"And more important, that this is only the beginning. We have plans for more. More than $60 worth of new Fallout adventures and features throughout 2016. "

Top Bottom