• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 DLC: Automatron ($10), WW ($5), Far Harbor ($25), More; Season Pass -> $50

Hip Hop

I wouldn't count on it. There's a reason they didn't reveal the other $20 of DLC. They are trying to sucker in as many season pass purchases as they can before people realize it's just settlement crap.

Hopefully that's not the case.

Haven't even done a single thing about settlements, I don't care at all for it.

Even happier now that I bought the Gold edition with the dlc and socks from Best Buy.

It ended up being $43, before $10 in reward certifs, and $15 from selling the socks.

Best $18 I have ever spent. :)

You know, reading this, it doesn't seem to rule out the idea they'd put out a second season pass for more DLC in 2017.

That is my read on it as well. I really hope they do it. Why not keep expanding the world, creating content, and generating revenue?

Obviously the post is IMO, and IMO, they have delivered more and better support for their titles via DLC than just about any other developer.

I had no problem with either of those, even if they weren't my favorites.

If anything, the only one in recent memory I didn't care for was the alien spaceship DLC for Fallout 3.

Yeah, the mothership zeta or whatever it was called, was the only DLC that they put out that I'd consider pure shit. But even then it's not the worst I've ever paid for. That would be that Harley DLC for Arkham City.

RPGam3r

I wouldn't count on it. There's a reason they didn't reveal the other $20 of DLC. They are trying to sucker in as many season pass purchases as they can before people realize it's just settlement crap.

Hate to break to people but there are people that like the settlement crap.

5taquitos

How the Fallout 4 Season Pass Price Increase Came to Be: A Short Story by 5taquitos

It's 8 AM on a rainy Monday, and the Bethesda executives are gathering for their weekly finance meeting. Let's listen in...

Bethesda Suit 1 (BS1): OK everyone, congrats again on our most successful launch ever!

(cheers heard throughout the room)

BS1: Alright, settle down, things aren't all cheery. The nerds in Accounting have informed me that Season Pass sales are below expectations. I called this meeting so that we can fix that. Any ideas?

BS2: Well, we could lay down a roadmap for solid, story-based expansions that build upon the core-

(derisive laughter)

BS1: We're not doing that. Anyone else?

(silence, then a hand raises uncertainly in the back)

BS3: What if we raised the price of the first story expansion to almost half the cost of the original game?

BS1: ...Go on.

BS3: Uhh, OK, so we raise the price of the expansion, then we raise the price of the Season Pass.

BS1: We're trying to increase sales.

BS3: No, we will! The key is we're not raising the price immediately. See, if the expansion actually required that price to recoup the costs, we'd have to raise the price right away. But since it doesn't, we can raise the price in a few weeks, creating a false sense of value in our customers. People will be beating down the door to buy the season pass at the same price it was at launch, and without ever seeing any of the content!

BS1: ...My God, it's brilliant. Bonuses for everyone in the room!

(cheers, drinks clinking)

Gemüsepizza;195486185 said:
People are... happy about this? This looks like shit. Why the hell are those prices so high? The first two DLCs aren't even story DLCs like in past Fallout games. WTF. And 24.99 for the third DLC? That's insane.

Edit: Also what a cheap ass tactic to raise the season pass price. Omg buy now before it's too late!!!1 LMAO.

yea, its odd that so many people are happy about this, seems like a rip off at first glance.

I still haven't even played the New Vegas DLC I picked up for $10 total and that stuff is known to be quite good. I'll wait for the inevitable sale and pick up only the DLC I want (or wait for the also inevitable GOTY version on discount).

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Lol people are falling right into their trap. Artificially inflate the only interesting one to $25 "well I'd be a fool not to get it now!" We still don't know any of their dlc plans.

Newegg has the PC version of the game + Season Pass for $60. Sounds like the best deal for people like me that haven't jumped in yet but probably will in the next few months.

jacobeid

Banned
I still haven't even played the New Vegas DLC I picked up for $10 total and that stuff is known to be quite good. I'll wait for the inevitable sale and pick up only the DLC I want (or wait for the also inevitable GOTY version on discount).

Different developer. The DLC for Fallout 3 isn't remembered as fondly.

JC Lately

Trying to punish people that wait for reviews I see.

Yep.

How the Fallout 4 Season Pass Price Increase Came to Be: A Short Story by 5taquitos

It's 8 AM on a rainy Monday, and the Bethesda executives are gathering for their weekly finance meeting. Let's listen in...

Bethesda Suit 1 (BS1): OK everyone, congrats again on our most successful launch ever!

(cheers heard throughout the room)

BS1: Alright, settle down, things aren't all cheery. The nerds in Accounting have informed me that Season Pass sales are below expectations. I called this meeting so that we can fix that. Any ideas?

BS2: Well, we could lay down a roadmap for solid, story-based expansions that build upon the core-

(derisive laughter)

BS1: We're not doing that. Anyone else?

(silence, then a hand raises uncertainly in the back)

BS3: What if we raised the price of the first story expansion to almost half the cost of the original game?

BS1: ...Go on.

BS3: Uhh, OK, so we raise the price of the expansion, then we raise the price of the Season Pass.

BS1: We're trying to increase sales.

BS3: No, we will! The key is we're not raising the price immediately. See, if the expansion actually required that price to recoup the costs, we'd have to raise the price right away. But since it doesn't, we can raise the price in a few weeks, creating a false sense of value in our customers. People will be beating down the door to buy the season pass at the same price it was at launch, and without ever seeing any of the content!

BS1: ...My God, it's brilliant. Bonuses for everyone in the room!

(cheers, drinks clinking)

Hope they don't fire you for breaking dat NDA, cause I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened.

So, just as a quick rundown:

Season pass is still $30 until 3/1/15.
By May, the pass will have already returned it's value.
Based on what has been said by Bethesda, I'll wager that there are going to be at least 5, maybe 6 total DLCs.
If they make even one more DLC the size or depth of Far Harbor (which would be typical of Bethesda DLC) the pass will easily return it's value at the $50 price point.

In short, if you're a fan of the game already buying the pass now is extremely low-risk/high-reward. If you aren't a fan already... then this probably doesn't interest you.
Seems pretty straight-forward to me. Don't understand the anger in this thread.

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol people are falling right into their trap. Artificially inflate the only interesting one to $25 "well I'd be a fool not to get it now!" We still don't know any of their dlc plans.

Exactly, this is shady as shit. Raising the season pass price to 50 is ridiculous.

Ill maybe get that last dlc if it ever goes on sale for 10 or 15 bucks but jeesh. What a scheme

ZeroCDR

Must be those next-gen costs huh? Yikes. $25.00 for the new Point Lookout, $10.00 for the new Gun Runners' Arsenal, act now to get these DLC's for the price they used to be.

I got in on the Gold Edition from Best Buy with GCU, so I'm here for the long haul on a good deal, but this seems rather disproportionate for everyone else paying full retail.

Daffy Duck

In every DLC thread this little gem pops up, and never gets substantiated in any way.

I hold my hands up that it was an angry reactionary post, but I'm in shock at the audacity of a dev to up the price of a season pass because we've got so much DLC content that we priced it too cheaply before, even though we didn't know what the content was actually going to be in the first place so we just plucked a figure out of our ass to get people to buy it.

Shady practice.

GHG

Gold Member
Good on them. The market needs to be tested and not constrained to these arbitrary dollar figures. The market will bear out if that is a reasonable price or not, going forward.

I am only interested in the story DLC... but I wonder if this is the only story DLC they will make?

Presumably, this season pass just comes with the DLC listed here, and not DLC planned for further down the road, right?

If the Season Pass included all future DLC, then $30 for Far Harbor + another story DLC would be an insane thing to pass up. I just feel like that is too good to be true.

What am I reading?

If they make even one more DLC the size or depth of Far Harbor (which would be typical of Bethesda DLC) the pass will easily return it's value at the $50 price point.

That's a big if.
Wouldn't they want to reveal that mystery DLC if it was in fact a substantial story based DLC?

I hold my hands up that it was an angry reactionary post, but I'm in shock at the audacity of a dev to up the price of a season pass because we've got so much DLC content that we priced it too cheaply before, even though we didn't know what the content was actually going to be in the first place so we just plucked a figure out of our ass to get people to buy it.

Shady practice.

Considering they're not upping for anybody who bought it, or who buys it in the next two weeks I'm not sure what you're so angry about.

Aalvi

Nope, you guys and many others have got me before.

I've smartened up and blacklisted Bethesda from day one purchases. People who wait really do win out. Cheaper price, more stable and bug-free. I don't like experiencing those bugs anymore, especially when there are so many games that won't destroy my progress and enjoyment.

I slowly became more and more fed up with it is all.

Wow dlc already, feels like the game just released a couple weeks ago. The expansion pass price increase seems like a too obvious of a ploy to sell as many $30 season passes as possible, though I can't blame them they're smart. I think I would rather wait for a goty edition at this point seeing as I haven't even bought the base game yet.

JTripper

Always excited for more Fallout and already bought the season pass, so I'm really happy by this announcement for season pass holders to get all the content despite the added content and price.

Beta testing DLC is a little bizarre but being the Fallout fan I am, I just want to play. Far Harbor looks super interesting.

Wow dlc already, feels like the game just released a couple weeks ago. The expansion pass price increase seems like a too obvious of a ploy to sell as many $30 season passes as possible, though I can't blame them they're smart. I think I would rather wait for a goty edition at this point seeing as I haven't even bought the base game yet.

It would be a ploy to me if they had already released some DLC then decided to up the season pass price after announcing more but the fact that this is their first specific mention of the game's DLC, I don't see a big problem.

If this is the first wave of dlc announcements (I imagine another wave will come at e3, and if we take them at their word that they expanded plans, likely a 3rd wave in the fall), $30 sounds great.

I felt like a bit of a fool after buying the season pass the first day it was available but even if I waited for this announcement I would have bought before the price goes up. I wonder what buying all pieces a la carte at the end of the "season" will be. Certainly north of $60 but there's $40 worth already

Shady practice.

You're totally free to wait for reviews and buy the content a la carte. Or not buy it at all. Or wait a couple of years and pick up a GOTY edition at a much lower price.

Or you can pay $30 in advance and gamble on getting $30 of enjoyment out of what you're going to get. And I completely understand why someone would decide that that gamble is not worth it to them. That's a totally rational individual choice. But why get angry that the option even exists for people who do feel it's worth it?

Krakn3Dfx

As someone who bought the SP when I bought the game Day One, if they do this, I'm done with Bethesda. That's some Rocksteady/WB Games levels of bullshit.

I kind of feel like they're just pushing the envelope after seeing Techland do the $10 price bump with the Dying Light SP, but I guess we'll see.

Amory

Ready to jump back into Fallout.

Sounds like I gotta pick up the season pass before the price increase.

N° 2048

I love that they stated there is more DLC. Very excited, bought seasons pass just now.

I'll throw my money at anything Fallout.

Disxo

Uhhh I was thinking of getting the pass after the reviews, but now that the price increased... I will still wait for reviews
(You wont trick me bethesda!)

In every DLC thread this little gem pops up, and never gets substantiated in any way.

To be fair, Ulysses was originally planned to be a companion in New Vegas until he got ported into Lonesome Road as the main antagonist (and the original version of his storyline was similar in scope to the final product).

The fact that all this content coming out is just the first wave has me really excited. Had the season pass since launch and I'm eager to dump more time on top of the already 200+ hours I've played.

IvanJ

Banned

Based on what has been said by Bethesda, I'll wager that there are going to be at least 5, maybe 6 total DLCs.

In short, if you're a fan of the game already buying the pass now is extremely low-risk/high-reward. If you aren't a fan already... then this probably doesn't interest you.

I understand the anger: People came in ready to rage, and not ready to read.

Bethesda is giving us a 15 days heads-up before the price increases. I think that is fair, and those interested have enough time to buy it. I think this is fair, especially since the content looks like it will be worth the current price.

Fallout 4 was disappointing for me, so I gonna pass this and wait to see what comes out. If I like what I see, I will buy on sale.

But for people who enjoyed the game it seems like a good deal.

netguy503

I'm glad I bought that Fallout game/season pass/sock bundle with GCU. I think it was only a little over $60 for everything. Saved ALOT of money here and I got new socks to boot.

GCU should really do more discounts on season passes/bundles.

Freeman76

You are the type of person they bank on when they do this in the first place.

Shady practice.

Hang on, in your last post you claim they cut the content out, now you claim that they never knew what the content was going to be. If you are going to overreact and have a meltdown, at least be consistent about what you are upset about.

Nobody is forcing you buy a season pass, nor are they increasing the price for people who already bought it. Don't think it is a good value? Don't buy it.

Games are a business. If the size and scope of their DLC plans have increased, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to increase the price of the Season Pass. They are still giving everyone two weeks if they'd still like to buy a pass at the lower price, so nobody is getting ripped off here.

I'm glad I bought that Fallout game/season pass/sock bundle with GCU. I think it was only a little over $60 for everything. Saved ALOT of money here and I got new socks to boot.

Agreed. For some reason they added a second discount on mine, making that bundle only $44 (before $10 GCU voucher as well!) :D

I don't want to shock the pants off of you, but it's probably not passed the planning stage at this moment, so there's probably not anything to announce yet.

Or they expanded their plans.

Forgive me for being pessimistic given the recent track record for DLC this gen. (CDPR gets a pass obviously) Skyrim's DLC wasn't exactly up to snuff either

Top Bottom