• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the hell plays Fallout games for the graphics?

fTTBLia.gif

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I always suspected that this game was meant for last gen systems but then got delayed in order to bring it over to current gen systems. I still suspect that.

The toxicity in this thread is unreal. This is exactly what anyone should have expected - a visual upgrade from Fallout 3/NV which is what it is. If you disagree that's it an upgrade you're either misremembering the previous games or are knee deep in visual/texture mods.

Alienous

Who the hell plays Fallout games for the graphics?

Who is saying they are?

Could the game ever have graphics that you find disappointing? What if it looked like a PS2 game, hypothetically?

Perhaps people just have higher expectations of a AAA current-gen game than you do, regardless of if it's Fallout?

Durante

Good comparison between the second and third shots. Even with the difference in IQ, it's pretty obvious that most of the shadows and much of the clutter is simply gone on the PS4 shot.

By the way this thread is going we will be the only people playing this game
It's a very naive point of view to assume that just because someone can soberly assess how frankly terrible some of these shots look they won't be interested in playing the game.

People need to learn to be a bit less emotional about these things.

Jobbs

Banned
The toxicity in this thread is unreal. This is exactly what anyone should have expected - a visual upgrade from Fallout 3/NV which is what it is. If you disagree that's it an upgrade you're either misremembering the previous games or are knee deep in visual/texture mods.

I'm going to install New Vegas on Steam today. Some of ya'll really do need a refresher.

rjinaz

I must have some really really low standards cause I think this game looks quite good.

Yeah part of me is glad I'm not a PC gamer yet just because my standard are so low I can fully enjoy a game like this. But even I'll admit the game looks pretty bad compared to other games on the PS4, for valid reasons or not.

thelastword

Banned
Seeing those screenshots I wonder how cut down will Kingdom Come have to become to run on consoles
Are you implying the game looks like that because of the lack of power on consoles? The GTA5 remaster looks so much better than this in every form, this game better not be 30fps.

The screens you posted of Kingdom come, what's up with the texture of the post on that bridge, that game is not particularly impressive either as whole. Of course, more impressive than Fallout 4, but what AAA game isn't at this point. Why are these textures so bad in F4, the PS3 with limited Vram had better textures over the 360 version of Fallout 3, these consoles have 8Gb's of Vram and these are the textures we get, of course the filtering is awful too.

Cultural Leet

Neo Member
I'll be amazed if most of the people talking about how similar it looks to Fallout 3 or New Vegas have even played or seen the unmodded games lately for a refresher.

True, I played both FO3 and FONV this year and FO4 looks miles better. That said, I am a bit underwhelmed by the graphics. It looks like a mixed bag. Some textures look great, some look incomplete. Bottom line is that a game this huge is not going to have the best graphics. I can live with that.

Another case of favorable lighting on one and not the other. The real world doesn't get a graphics downgrade in the middle of the day when sun gets into a position where the shadows are flat and the colors are not as pretty.

The FO4 pic has just about the same amount of lighting information as the FO3 screen, regardless of time of day.

It is not that high noon is killing shadows... it is that there are no shadows.

GHG

Gold Member
remember how oblivion was hyped for it's graphics? it was a beautiful game.
what happened?

Oblivion was groundbreaking at the time.

I remember leaving the 1st dungeon and being in awe. And that wasn't even on the PC either, I played that game 1st on the 360.

Really odd. Are these consoles seriously that underpowered then? It's not like Fallout 4's visuals are a new standard. So why can it not simply look like E3? Guess all of that footage wasn't Xbox One either after all.

Kezen

Banned
Is it me or there is just no AO in those shots ?

I hope the Nvidia Gameworks rumors are true, HBAO+ would definitely make a huge difference there.

these consoles have 8Gb's of Vram
Not all that RAM can be allocated to games.
5gb on Xbox One, 5-6 on PS4.

Good comparison. Even with the difference in IQ, it's pretty obvious that most of the shadows and much of the clutter is simply gone on the PS4 shot.

It's a very naive point of view to assume that just because someone can soberly assess how frankly terrible some of these shots look they won't be interested in playing the game.

People need to learn to be a bit less emotional about these things.
It has nothing to do with emotions. It has everything to do with context. I really could not care less about others opinions about how it looks, but this is a forum and to contribute to a forum you must express your own opinion.

cackhyena

I'm sure it'll be fun as shit, but jesus christ. If I wasn't aware of the series and someone showed me these shots, there's zero chance I wouldn't immediately identify them as 360/PS3 shots.

I must be one of the few who don't mind the visuals (at least the ones posted in this thread) and as for the HUD, I think it's fine. I for one am actually happy the game uses such a clear and easy to read font. :/

Matush

What were 3 and NV like on consoles? Did they actually crash. I know they were buggy on all platforms. My particular favourite was this wonderful NV bug on PC. What a way to start a game - https://youtu.be/ToKIkw3LIoQ
I played F3 GOTY edition with all DLC recently on PS3, in first 40hrs it was playable, after that, the savefile was way to big and game strated crashing left and right at certain locations (Point Lookout). I didnt have these problems with 360 version.

F:NV I was able to only play on 360 and as above, the longer you played, more the game started freezing and crashing. (I wasnt even able to complete it iirc)

Cultural Leet

Neo Member
What were 3 and NV like on consoles? Did they actually crash. I know they were buggy on all platforms. My particular favourite was this wonderful NV bug on PC. What a way to start a game - https://youtu.be/ToKIkw3LIoQ

I have the GOTY version of FO3 on PS3 and it would crash ("freeze", actually) constantly whenever I tried to play to Point Lookout DLC. This is after they had years to fix the problem.

lazygecko

I remember leaving the 1st dungeon and being in awe. And that wasn't even on the PC either, I played that game 1st on the 360.

I was pretty awestruck at how jarringly primitive the distant LoD terrain looked at the time. There were other games out which had handled that technology better. Oblivion had lots of tech that was still pretty new but it was utilized very crudely.

Yep, the moment I stepped out of the Imperial City Sewers was the moment WRPGs became my favorite genre.

Denton

People calling shitty graphics shittty isn't toxic, it is deserved and needed. Bethesda has more money than anyone else making RPGs in the industry. If they step up their game as they should, gamers will have better experiences, including you.

ISee

Ok, what the hell happened between the second and the third picture. Oh yeah and the UI looks terrible.

Hard to tell with YT compression. But I'd say: more shadows and a better/high ambient occlusion technique maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom