• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Is it me or there is just no AO in those shots ?

I hope the Nvidia Gameworks rumors are true, HBAO+ would definitely make a huge difference there.
It looks like there are no shadows beyond 20 meters and no AO either. Or incredibly ineffective AO. Together, those two facts conspire to make it look flatter than games released 8 years ago.

I almost have to wonder if someone isn't trolling hard by posting PC screens at the lowest possible settings and labeling them PS4.

hvtioxzmqrvu.jpg
Those aren't shadows, those are simply surfaces which don't face the sun and aren't lit.

kvn

Why is it bad if people expect something better than this from a company who sold more than 20 million copies of Skyrim?

Because people expecting more from a multi million dollar company selling more than one critically acclaimed multi million dollar franchise are "toxic" and "entitled".

bomblord1

Banned
Um, do you see where the sun is? Shadows should be everywhere in relation. They aren't. Those aren't the shadows people are looking for. Those look to be static.

So your telling me the shadows on those rocks are there regardless of the position of the sun?

Mahonay

Banned
Looks like the shadowing and density that make the PC version look decent didn't make it over to the PS4. Ah well. It's the gameplay content in this game that matters most to me. I'm sure I'll still be sucked in even if these screens are a little disappointing.

EDIT: Those textures are definitely pretty rough as well.

Tripolygon

Banned
And yet one of the best games on the PS4. Graphics don't make a game.

See, The Order for evidence.
Well said.
Actually no, that is not well said. In fact it is a very stupid conclusion to reach from that illogical statement.

Game A looks good but it got bad reviews so therefor graphics doesn't make a good game?

No shit, having good graphics doesn't make a game good but it sure as hell makes that game very appealing to the eyes. We are not talking about gameplay here, we are discussing the screenshot posted in the OP. You can have good graphics and good gameplay and there are many open world games which look good and reviewed well and have good gameplay.

Fallout 4 looks terrible and that doesn't mean it won't review well or be a good game. It just looks like the last gen influence held it back in the visuals department.

bomblord1

Banned
It looks like there are no shadows beyond 20 meters and no AO either. Or incredibly ineffective AO. Together, those two facts conspire to make it look flatter than games released 8 years ago.

I almost have to wonder if someone isn't trolling hard by posting PC screens at the lowest possible settings and labeling them PS4.

Those aren't shadows, those are simply surfaces which don't face the sun and aren't lit.

Maybe you can help me as I know you are an expert in the area (I don't mean that sarcastically I think everyone around here knows what you do) but isn't that the definition of a shadow?

Kezen

Banned
I mean surely the supercharged PC architecture of the PS4 can do better than this.
I can understand the poor LOD (console CPUs in spite of near zero overhead APIs) but texture quality is shocking to say the least.

But I doubt that 1% of console players care about that stuff anyway. This won't impact the sales of the game on consoles I think, your average console gamer is used to sub30fps framerate and dismal IQ.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nobody is acting surprised, rather disappointed and mad about the fact that Bethesda didn't change anything in that regard.

Also, Oblivion looked great when it launched.

I think it's easier to create a natural setting then a trashy post apocalyptic setting. Skyrim was far better looking then Fallout, and even better with mods. Fallout just looked plain bad.

Mivey

The FO4 pic has just about the same amount of lighting information as the FO3 screen, regardless of time of day.

It is not that high noon is killing shadows... it is that there are no shadows.

That's perfectly explained in the Fallout lore: Because of the radiation, the light of the sun does not directly touch the earth, instead it is dispersed across the globe creating a perfect ambient lighting. Explained somewhere in a terminal in FO3, forgot where.

Of course Besthesda could have better shadows, even on the PS4, but they rather chose to be faithful to the game's internal lore. Admirable, really.

KR_remix

Are we sure that last screen isn't from Deadly Premonitition 2? lol

Why is it bad if people expect something better than this from a company who sold more than 20 million copies of Skyrim?

Apparently no one is allowed to talk about how bad the graphics look in this thread about the game's graphics because the game is so totally awesome even though it isn't out yet.

I await the mods that get made for console.

If they had to cut back the graphics so much for the game to run on consoles, there is not going to have "spare room" for enhancing-graphics mods. Well, I suppose it can be improved with mods that offer better art with the same limitations on textures/polygons/shaders.

Durante

So your telling me the shadows on those rocks are there regardless of the position of the sun?
No, they simply aren't what we generally call "shadows" in 3D rendering. Shadows are when a surface which would, in absence of anything else, actually be lit (because it is facing a light source) is not lit because the light source is occluded by some other object.

What you pointed out are simply surfaces which are unlit in the first place since they don't face a light source.

Maybe you can help me as I know you are an expert in the area (I don't mean that sarcastically I think everyone around here knows what you do) but isn't that the definition of a shadow?
See above.
Basically, determining the amount of light a surface receives just from its distance from (generally disregarded fro the sun) and inclination towards a light source is "shading", which you see in the areas you marked. When that light contribution is modified by taking into account obstacles in the path of the light it's "shadows" - or "(ambient) occlusion" depending on which technique we are talking about.

Rajang

Who the hell plays Fallout games for the graphics?

Who is saying they are? Can't the graphics just be dissapointing? This looks like a last gen game to me, especially if you compare it to games like The Witcher 3 and TPP both games looking significantly better even on PS4.

mujun

Is this like that "lazy devs" thing that people say?

Do people honestly think that the FO4 team not do their best on this stuff?

Jito

Banned
Actually no, that is not well said. In fact it is a very stupid conclusion to reach from that illogical statement.

Game A looks good but it got bad reviews so therefor graphics doesn't make a good game?

No shit, having good graphics doesn't make a game good but it sure as hell makes that game very appealing to the eyes. We are not talking about gameplay here, we are discussing the screenshot posted in the OP. You can have good graphics and good gameplay and there are many open world games which look good and reviewed well and have good gameplay.

Fallout 4 looks terrible and that doesn't mean it won't review well or be a good game. It just looks like the last gen influence held it back in the visuals department.

Eh, I'd still wait til the game is out and we have uncompressed footage of the game running, some games just don't translate well to screenshots, especially when captured using the PS4 screenshot tool. Regardless, The Order sucked and you can see the effort went into the graphics over any other aspect of the game, while clearly Bethesda must have put effort in elsewhere seeing as the graphics aren't mind blowing.

Also the hyperbole is real, the game doesn't look terrible, it might be disappointing, ugly or not up to your standards, but to label it as terrible looking is just ridiculous.

bethesda fans

30356ba0-8930-0132-1dd4-0a2c89e5f2f5.gif

You on the other hand...
giphy.gif

oneils

The trailers and demos must have been PC footage. Looks like I'm getting this on PC. I now need to figure out if I'm willing to upgrade my 770gtx...

Kezen

Banned
CjnfNsR.jpg

No, I mean no.

Something must be wrong here.

Old build perhaps, I can't believe Bethesda would ship a game looking like that in the year 2015.

Either the PS4 version is actually less impressive than the Xbox One version (which i really doubt) or all the footage from E3 was PC. Even the footage that showed aliasing and people thought it was Xbox One. I never once thought it looked too good to be on console though. Actually thought it looked pretty decent but nothing earth shattering. This here looks like a downgrade or as said before...the very first time we're seeing console media of the game.

Sure hope those 'fancy' effects Todd Howard spoke of during that footage is still in the console versions though.

alfablac

Banned
Oh gosh. I'm glad I didn't pre ordered this. Paying full price to expect mods? Nah.
2015 might be the worst year for gaming. Hoping that this at least run at 60fps on PC
and not huge depressing flop like BAK.

Wanting a bit more out of game graphically does not seem like the worst thing to me. It seems like something one should expect... especially if you compare it to other games in the genre (The Witcher 3, for example).
Can you manipulate every item in the environment in Witcher?

bomblord1

Banned
No, they simply aren't what we generally call "shadows" in 3D rendering. Shadows are when a surface which would, in absence of anything else, actually be lit (because it is facing a light source) is not lit because the light source is occluded by some other object.

What you pointed out are simply surfaces which are unlit in the first place since they don't face a light source.

See above.
Basically, determining the amount of light a surface receives just from its distance from (generally disregarded fro the sun) and inclination towards a light source is "shading", which you see in the areas you marked. When that light contribution is modified by taking into account obstacles in the path of the light it's "shadows" - or "(ambient) occlusion" depending on which technique we are talking about.

Alright thanks.

I'm not going to bother to quote all the other people quoting me but in general if the game isn't casting any shadows (instead of it being a problem with the time of day) what is the stuff in the other shots?

SliChillax

I think it looks great considering its scale. Will look even better on PC, can't wait! The only thing I find terrible is the bright green UI. Hope we can change the colour, my eyes are burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom