• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratrat

1080p 30fps on both consoles apparently. Some are saying this was a cross-gen game originally, others are blaming the engine they are using. No idea
I hope the crossgen thing isnt true. If its a Bioware type situation the pc version will suffer.

JP

It's an automatic correction so it's far from perfect but this is the console image with more accurate levels.
HhM4AQ7.jpg~original

bobawesome

Some of you guys don't seem to be able to understand what you're looking at. New Vegas doesn't even look close to FO4.

I'll be amazed if most of the people talking about how similar it looks to Fallout 3 or New Vegas have even played or seen the unmodded games lately for a refresher.

Alienous

I don't understand why it looks so bad.

Surely the CPU would be Fallout's major concern, if not the RAM. There doesn't seem to be anything about this that would mean those graphics are the best they can push.

Kezen

Banned
HVtIOXZ.jpg

God that looks rough. :]

Thank God there is a PC version with very likely much better draw distance and LOD.

I firmly believe the PC version is going to run badly, but in any case it should be much better than consoles even on mid-range GPU (but strong CPUs !).

Denton

Yeah, I'm wondering if I somehow stepped into an alternate universe where Fallout games weren't ugly as fuck on every platform.

For being 97-98 2D RPGs, they looked pretty nice at the time with well animated characters. They've certainly aged a lot more gracefully than the 3D Fallouts. Same with Fallout Tactics from 2001 which used the same 2D style but with higher resolution art and better lighting effecs and such.

Not to mention FO3 looked pretty good maxed out on PC for a 2008 game, as both mine and Durante's screenshots show.

FO4 on nextgen console in 2015, not so much.

sense

i can understand the frustration for a lot of people regarding the graphics especially after seeing games like gta 5 and witcher 3. a big name game like fallout should look similar or better than those games

Forget the visuals...who on earth thought that HUD/UI actually looked good? Good thing I play with zero HUD because that is a fucking eyesore.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And yet one of the best games on the PS4. Graphics don't make a game.

See, The Order for evidence.

The jury is still out on that, but I do agree with you about the graphics statement.

I still think this was a last-gen port over. This is their first attempt on new-gen hardware, and does not fit their typical "wow, that looks cool" effect like the past.

Hopefully this means more polish, and silky smooth performance.

Denton

I'll be amazed if most of the people talking about how similar it looks to Fallout 3 or New Vegas have even played or seen the unmodded games lately for a refresher.

Two screens were posted in this thread, one was by me from unmodded game. No refresher needed.

Jobbs

Banned

The thread is stupid and I'll be abandoning shortly, but to anyone who actually believes FO4 looks little or no better than NV, I beg you to go watch the FO4 gameplay video again (not an isolated screenshot) and then load up the unmodded NV on Steam. If you think they're equals then your life must be so simple and so.. good.

Technically, the game is rough. We all knew it would be. I just hope the PS4 version has a consistent framerate.

Bare in mind, these are ONE person's screenshots. They look too bright and washed out to me. Of course, that doesn't account for the low draw distance and LOD.

Not to mention, this is a game where you explore a barren and desolate wasteland, it doesn't exactly have the most exciting or varied colour pallet. I'm sure the game will be Godlike though, and when it all comes down to it, that's all that matters.

I really wish they'd hire on a better character artist and animator. The humanoid models are horrible and everyone moves like an animatronic in Bethesda games. Imagine this game with Bioshock's or Dishonored's art sensibilities.

With mods it probably will. It will take time tho for them to come out.

Does that make it any better though? Personally, it was cool to mod skyrim as I essentially turned an older game into a looker, but to have to rely on mods for a game to look acceptable is pretty shitty.

Nzyme32

I can promise you it wont look exponentially better on PC.

The better LOD, AO, AA, shadows etc will definitely make the PC versions look significantly better, assuming the typical options are there as in other bethesda games; perhaps not exponentially so.

If there is one thing this game will get from modders on PC, it will be graphics enhancement mods, and over time that will get exponentially better.

Who the hell plays Fallout games for the graphics?

This hits the nail on the head though. (At least at first for the PC folk)

Nere

I think those pictures aren't going to represent the real product they look too oversaturated with no colours and shadows. Doubt Bethesda would do that guess we will see in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom