• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interview with Tabata details Final Fantasy XV's battle system and more

Mortemis

Banned
Okay, hold on. What? When was the last time KH was legitimately difficult? KH1? I damn near slept through KH2.

I think you're basically explaining his/her point. KH2 was super easy and yet that shit sounds more complicated than hold to win.

KH2FM apparently makes shit harder but I haven't played, I'll find out for myself come December.

TnK

Okay, hold on. What? When was the last time KH was legitimately difficult? KH1? I damn near slept through KH2.
KH2FM on critical is brutal. One of the hardest things I finished in a game ever.

BbS and DDD on higher difficulties also present a good challenge.

Exentryk

Versus is dead, gaiz.

That being said, listening to how the battle system is being described doesn't make me excited either, though I'm willing to give it a chance.

However, I fear March is too late for mechanics improving feedback.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I'll be sending my recommendations to them now.

So the negatives out of this combat system:
- Holding "Attack" for continuous string of attacks instead of manual pressing for better feedback
- Holding "Guard" for continuous dodging, and no manual dodge roll
- No Manual Weapon Switching
- No Manual Party Assists
- No Party Switching (only Noctis playable?)

It's basically set up your weapons, and then just hold the "Attack" button and let the AI do its thing. How is that fun?

What it should have been:
- Mash attack for every single attack
- Can manually switch weapons with a button (like say L1)
- Can manually call for party assists when close by with a button (say Square)
- Can manually switch to other party members with a button (say R1)
- Have the KH like command menu for each character (or map to face/shoulder buttons)
- Have the FFXII gambits for ordering other characters when you're not controlling them

God damn it.

fertygo

Man, there's a lot of enraged people in here, I actually like sound of it.. will wait for the demo for proper judgement, I think its gonna work a lot better than what people thinking.

Dark_castle

ibratAlAduLc5G.jpg

Speaking to the all male cast, the extreme cynic in me says they're holding the female playable characters out to milk their use in FF XV-2.

Soriku

BloodBorne and TW3 are happening.

They will be true action,challenging,mature games...

So if you guys want that you can get your fill and some more from these two games.

FFXV is going in a very,very different direction.

JRPG wise Tales of Zestiria and Xenoblade X are good options. Zestiria seems like it has a nice large world for once with the expected great action combat, and Xenoblade X gives you a large world too with MMO/FF XII-style combat. But with still a great amount of control. SE needs to learn.

But I still want a huge FF with KH-style combat. SE pls.

Did you play KH2 on Normal or Proud? On Proud the difficulty was fine IMO. Play the most recent ones on Proud or Critical. You even get a lvl 1 option if that's your thing.

With KH2, 2.5 Remix is coming and you can play it on Critical on lvl 1 in Final Mix+.

Vanilla KH2 isn't the standard by any means.

aly

Tabata also said your party is male only. Which is expected I guess.

So no Stella/Luna? Wow

Yeah it's really dumb. When peoples only excuse is "WELL X-2 WAS AN ALL FEMALE CAST" that completely ignores the fact women are under represented in games,the reception was negative BECAUSE it was an all female cast and the game was always going to turn out with a more predominant female cast due to the circumstances of each character.

It's too bad because I've always found Final Fantasy to be one of the best when it comes to female characters.

I did too. I mean I pretty much liked all of X/X-2 characters and thought they carried themselves pretty well, so I was excited for Stella. But nooope.

Qvoth

i seriously think the change from a very action-y battle system to the current more simplified ff12-ish system is because they changed the title from versus 13 to 15

this is a real numbered FF, there's no way the suits will agree to such a change, numbered FFs will always have some form of turn based system
personally i agree, but i'm not liking the all male cast, and no character switching
such a strange decision

Party being male only is long known. Maybe they're bullshitting us to hide the curveball of sudden party members change, but let's not pine our hopes on random assumptions.

Besides, as long as it's better for the story,I don't really care.

Kain

And all male group may not be such a bad thing. Probably they made it so because it was Nomura's wet dream, but a lot of times when playing rpgs I feel that some characters just didn't fit because they were "forced" to achieve some kind of parity. If they have a very clear goal and direction with this it may be a good thing. That's a big if but I'm trying to stay positive here.

Also lol at KH being easy. Only vanilla KH2 was easy and mash to win, all the other entrys range from somewhat difficult to downright brutal on higher difficulties. Just try KH2FM+ on critical mode and then come back. Man, that shit was cruel (and awesome, can't wait to experience all of it again).

Loudninja

Hmmm...no character switching would be wack...
I checked out the 4Gamer interview, and regarding the playable character thing...

When Tabata says that the player only controls Noctis and the other characters have AI commands, it sounds more like he's describing how the system works as it is. In the demo shown so far, the only playable character in Noctis. It could be that they have removed character swapping, but it could also just be him describing the fact that as an action RPG you only control a single character. At the same time, he does talk about how the game is very much about Noctis and his friends "helping each other", so that might be why only Noctis is playable.

The important points he highlights is that there will be AI settings in the menu which can be changed, and the player will have a degree of control over the battle flow.

Wazzy

Banned
So no Stella/Luna? Wow

I did too. I mean I pretty much liked all of X/X-2 characters and thought they carried themselves pretty well, so I was excited for Stella. But nooope.

I adored X-2 and especially loved the fact it was an all female cast due to the lack of female representation in gaming. Sure, there's some questionable parts but overall the characters were strong and their development was well done.

It's really a shame because Luna and Stella's designs are great and having them playable or at least party members would have been great.

HHTurtle

Neo Member
Can you translate this?

――あらためて戦闘システムについて教えてください。

田畑:戦闘はリアルタイムアクションです。ただし、つねに仲間とともに戦う、パーティ重視のアクションバトルです。操作的には『FF零式』をもっと簡易的にしたようなシステムですね。

仲間との連携は自動的に繰り出されますが、連携が発動しやすくなる武器やアビリティといった要素があるので、まずは1つの組み合わせを試し、続いて別の組み合わせを試すといったセッティングの試行錯誤をする楽しみを用意しています。

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/928/928259/

Thanks to duckroll and benzy for this.

――Once again, please explain the battle system to us.

Tabata: The battle will be real time action. However, you will constantly be fighting alongside your party members. It is an action battle that emphasizes party teamwork. This battle system is a somewhat streamlined version of FF Type-0's.

Your party members will automatically coordinate their attacks with you. There are many different elements such as weapons or abilities that make it easy to achieve coordination so you might try one combination out and then try another one. It's this sort of trial and error system that I think will be lots of fun for the players to tinker around with.

IMO, Tabata's use of the word "簡易" doesn't mean that the control scheme is going to be super easy. The word "簡単" is more fitting for that. I think that "簡易" is more suitably translated as "streamlined", "convenient" or "accessible". This can be a good thing since there are little things in FF Type-0 like trying to cast support magic but accidentally tilting the left analog stick so you perform a dodge instead. Nevertheless, this is only my opinion.

fertygo

I'm sure you can switch character in final game, sound like no brainer.. I know it easy to think these guy can miss the obvious but still..

btw I like no mashing, because shit is hard for me :p

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Thats no final fantasy for me anymore.
Where is the ATB?
Sounds like a action game and not a RPG...

so... you pick your weapons in a menu, then you pick your target and hold down the X button?
... I'm glad KH 3 is being made.

I like how these two quotes directly contradict each other.
Is it an action game in which you input attacks or an "RPG" in which you pick targets off the menu? Will anybody be satisfied? Only time will tell!

I had a harder time with KH2FM on critical than Dark Souls(I know Dark Souls isn't that hard) during the main content.

I thought the data battles were harder than the Artorias DLC bosses, significantly so if you didn't grind.

Golnei

Is it an action game in which you input attacks or an "RPG" in which you pick targets off the menu? Will anybody be satisfied? Only time will tell!

If it's as bad as it sounds, this system is a compromise that pleases no-one; essentially being either a braindead ARPG or a menu-based system tied down with unnecessary clutter.

I hope the internet cut Square some slack over the male only party thing.

I mean we havent had a Final Fantasy game without a Female lead since FFX.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
If it's as bad as it sounds, this system is a compromise that pleases no-one; essentially being either a braindead ARPG or a menu-based system tied down with unnecessary clutter.

I think this is a response to FF fans complaining that the game was turning out to be too actiony and not at all RPG-like. RPGs in general are about preparation more and actual battle execution less. This seems like it's in line with that design thought.

The negative reactions bum me out a lot more than the actual news. Haha.

I really hate what "no female" entails. Having only four selectable party members would suck. Having more than four and the rest are even more male members would also suck.

Philippo

These days have been such an emotional rollercoaster, lol.

I think we're losing a lot between translation from japanese and (possibly, hopefully) bad choice of words by Tabata, and i still don't understand a single fuck lf how ots supposed to really work.

This is really the case where until i play the demo by myself (or SE release a video to explain it) i won't be able to understand it.
I'm still pretty confident i'll like it though.

Hopefully they'll be very open to feedback from the demo.

Kuro

I hope the internet cut Square some slack over the male only party thing.

I mean havent had a Final Fantasy game without a Female lead since FFX.

I don't have a problem with the lead being male, I just don't like the all male party. When was the last Final Fantasy without a female party member?

I was wrong, you don't even pick your targets. You just hold down X.

My only hope is they recieve enough feedback from the demo and make it more like KH, pleaaaaase.
The demo is going to be too far in the development process to make serious gameplay changes like that. Tweaks? Sure. Outright changes to the entire system? Not happening.

Top Bottom