• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interview with Tabata details Final Fantasy XV's battle system and more

Also, everyone's talking about Stella and Luna and female party members but what about getting more info on the Lady Dragoon.
final_fantasy_versus_xiii___dragoon_by_oftheabyss92-d4j8ku2.gif

Nomura said essentially she's a mook.

(People fixate on the strangest things sometimes.)

An all male party can be done well, just like an all female party can be done well. The issue here is that there doesn't seem to be any rationale for it. It fit X-2 to have an all female party. What about XV lends itself to being all male?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I sure don't know. But then again, we don't know really know anything about this game.

Someone else has said this, and I don't understand how exactly.

no rationale?

isn't it obvious? The cast are all childhood friends who grew up together, the dynamic is supposed to be a bunch of bros on a road trip.

Philippo

As I said above, the all female cast in X-2 worked because it fit the vision of the game. We don't really know what the "original vision" of this game is, so it's perfectly reasonable to ask why female characters (or any other characters) weren't a part of that vision.

Yeah ok, but we still know it's the journey of a royal prince and his entourage, with which he grew up and probably are his only friends, so it still sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
And, for what its worth, they might as well just hiding it from us atm.

It's been known for a long time that the story is Noctis and his bodyguards going on a trip to do something (Getting the crystal back? Meeting Luna/Stella?)

at least that's what it was before, I dunno about now.

Wazzy

Banned
no rationale?

isn't it obvious? The cast are all childhood friends who grew up together, the dynamic is supposed to be a bunch of bros on a road trip.

So what? We've got two known female characters who are playing a role in the game. I really doubt the story won't allow for an opening to have them partymembers.

If things like this are considered an actual excuse then all it sounds like is SE is pushing female fans away from this one.

Mortemis

Banned
Kinda funny seeing people take issue with the party now. I've been giving them shit for that since E3 2013.

Yeah, we've known about this for a while, I guess people held on to some hope since this was turning from a spinoff to a mainline game.

The premise was always a brotherhood going on a road trip to save their kingdom, while tons of things changed looks like that much is still intact.

It does sound like they are opting for all sorts of "Press X To Awesome" systems. I guess the writing has been on the wall in all the recent trailers. Lots of scripted chases, dynamic camera panning to show things off in the background and now this. I assume the idea is that they want a battle system that looks cinematic, exciting looking and dynamic. The classic 3~4 dudes standing in a row waiting for their share of a pummelling is going to require some extra suspension of disbelief that they want to avoid. Final Fantasy systems have been moving towards this for a while now, I guess, but every step they make makes me uneasy. FF12 and 13 had quite a lot of criticism for their battle systems, but they had plenty of complexity and a reasonable amount of strategy for those that were looking for it. I hope it's the same case here.
Kinda reminds me of White Knight Chronicles plate combat system.
Argh, don't even bring up It That We Don't Speak Of!

fertygo

Screw it, I totally love "the bros journey" concept, since this is asian game the dynamic would be a lot different than what western game pull..

Maybe we can wait for the sequel for the sistas story..

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
That's pretty much FFXII's pre-combat customisable gambits + FFXIII's mid-combat stance-switching, now with situational combos on top of it, isn't it?

I mean, it certainly takes the best of both AI systems, buuuuut... Too drastic of a change.

HHTurtle

Neo Member
Why are some insisting so muc about female characters? I know every FF had them, and i love them too, but do you actually want one forced into the party, instead of sticking to the original vision which actually makes a lot of sense, just for the sake of having one?

It's confirmed that the all male party was planned ever since it was still FF Versus XIII.

ZSeba

So what? We've got two known female characters who are playing a role in the game. I really doubt the story won't allow for an opening to have them partymembers.

If things like this are considered an actual excuse then all it sounds like is SE is pushing female fans away from this one.

To be fair, all party members are bishounen/boyband archetypes and probably designed to be attractive (to women)

Sandfox

Yeah ok, but we still know it's the journey of a royal prince and his entourage, with which he grew up and probably are his only friends, so it still sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
And, for what its worth, they might as well just hiding it from us atm.

I don't really understand why they would hide that when having a male only party just invites potential hate from gamers and the media.

To be fair, all party members are bishounen/boyband archetypes and probably designed to be attractive (to women)

That's all the Japanese side of SE knows how to draw these days.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yeah, we've known about this for a while, I guess people held on to some hope since this was turning from a spinoff to a mainline game.

The premise was always a brotherhood going on a road trip to save their kingdom, while tons of things changed looks like that much is still intact.

It does not appear that the story actually changed that much from original vision. I mean, of course we know very little about it, but what they showed in E3 2013 trailer largely seemed to match everything that had come before? And in that vision we had Lunella with a magic sword of her own, the whole royal intrigue subplot and other things that people for some reason feel are suddenly gone.

I don't really understand why they would hide that when having a male only party just invites potential hate from gamers and the media.

Can't imagine it would be "hate" in Japan.
This is their artistic intent.
I know X-2 turned a lot of people off with its girly girl party, was it a bad game? Not really.

no rationale?

That storyline doesn't preclude picking up other characters while on that roadtrip. Plenty of stories are based on a "friendship roadtrip" model and manage to add characters as they go along.
I really would've liked females to be in but Nomura already said ages ago it's about brotherhood so it'd be hard for them to be playable with Noctis, so I was kind of expecting it.
I get the brotherhood storyline here. I still propose that it's perfectly possible to have a core group of friends and add other characters without ruining the brotherhood storyline. Some people are upset about the female characters, and personally, I'm a bit more irritated by what looks to be an utter lack of creature characters.

Anyhoo, I'm willing to hold off on any big questions until I play the game. If the vision ends up working, then great. Good for them for taking a cliched storyline and making it fresh and fun. If not, then they will have questions to answer for.

You mean male fans. Female gamers are used to playing as guys, and if Sengoku Basara and the recent DW entries are anything to go by, male-dominant casts are attractive to women.

Are girls even complaining about having an all-male cast?

ZSeba

You mean male fans. Female gamers are used to playing as guys, and if Sengoku Basara and the recent DW entries are anything to go by, male-dominant casts are attractive to women.

Yep, that's my point :p

wmlk

That storyline doesn't preclude picking up other characters while on that roadtrip. Plenty of stories are based on a "friendship roadtrip" model and manage to add characters as they go along.

Well this one doesn't.

Why does there some unwritten rule that says there has to be a female party member?

Wazzy

Banned
Well this one doesn't.

Why does there some unwritten rule that there has to be a female party member?

Final Fantasy has been one of the better gaming companies in regards to female characters. Female representation is still struggling in the industry even if it's gotten better.

We don't live in a vacuum where these problems don't exist.

I get the brotherhood storyline here. I still propose that it's perfectly possible to have a core group of friends and add other characters without ruining the brotherhood storyline. Some people are upset about the female characters, and personally, I'm a bit more irritated by what looks to be an utter lack of creature characters.

Anyhoo, I'm willing to hold off on any big questions until I play the game. If the vision ends up working, then great. Good for them for taking a cliched storyline and making it fresh and fun. If not, then they will have questions to answer for.

Exactly. Especially because the broship excuse being thrown around is bad. Are we really going to act like a girl can't be a part of their broship on the way?

Actually probably true. I dunno how it'll do for attracting women here, but I think it will do pretty alright with the female crowd in the East.
Exactly. Especially because the broship excuse being thrown around is bad. Are we really going to act like a girl can't be a part of their broship on the way?
I think the broship is a perfectly good storyline. I think the big concern for me is how many characters there will be and how stagnant it will feel. If all we get is the characters from the trailer riding around for the entire game, that party might get pretty tiring. It's nice to have variety in characters, even if they're only temporary party members! I mean, they travel the whole stupid continent and all we meet is five dudes for our party? This thing is going to need some spectacular writing to keep me interested.
Well this one doesn't.
Why does there some unwritten rule that says there has to be a female party member?
I'm not necessarily critiquing the lack of a female party member specifically. I'm personally concerned more largely about a stagnant party. Why have any side characters in the party? For variety, good stories and character development of the main cast.

Sandfox

Can't imagine it would be "hate" in Japan.
This is their artistic intent.
I know X-2 turned a lot of people off with its girly girl party, was it a bad game? Not really.
I don't think people will care too much about artistic intent when looking at the game and I was talking globally and not just Japan.

You shouldn't be using Fujoshi as the standard to judge all female gamers lol.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I don't think people will care too much about artistic intent when looking at the game and I was talking globally and not just Japan.

You shouldn't be using Fujoshi as the standard to judge all female gamers lol.

They can't please everybody.
13 cast was as diverse as can get without adding characters like Freya, Fran and Kimahri.
The cast was very bland anyway.

Nerokis

I'm still going to withhold judgement about the battle system and everything else until I actually see more or get my hands on the game but I'll always be disappointed by the lack of female party members. If this were still Versus, I wouldn't mind as much but have it a numbered mainline just makes things worse. :/

In general, this might be the most homogeneous cast in the entire franchise. The potential for the cast to be super bland has always been one of the very likely downsides. I mean, they're all pretty white (well, vaguely white or vaguely asian, depending how you look at them) guys who wear dark clothes designed by the same clothing company. There's no diversity at all, no quirkiness, nothing that individualizes the cast in the same charming way you've seen in most other FF games.

I've come to accept that aspect of the game, though. The characters are more grounded. The individualization is less exaggerated than in the past, more nuanced. This is a group of dudes starring in a story about brotherhood. Their clothes are basically somewhat varied jerseys symbolizing the side they're on. I can work with all this.

And I mean, when it comes to things like gender and ethnic diversity, you can fault this cast on numerous fronts, no? The lack of a playable woman character specifically is disappointing, but I can forgive it when the creators' vision/focus is a story about brotherhood, about the friendship between these specific characters, and when it seems pretty clear the gameplay was never going to allow for a wealth of playable characters, anyway. (Note that I'm equating "playable" with "in the party.")

Aside from the all male party, so much about this game seems intended to appeal to a female demographic. There's numerous ways to judge how a game handles female characters, so hopefully overall it'll do a decent job there.

Wazzy

Banned
Actually probably true. I dunno how it'll do for attracting women here, but I think it will do pretty alright with the female crowd in the East.

I think the broship is a perfectly good storyline. I think the big concern for me is how many characters there will be and how stagnant it will feel. If all we get is the characters from the trailer riding around for the entire game, that party might get pretty tiring. It's nice to have variety in characters, even if they're only temporary party members!

Oh there's nothing wrong with a bropship story. It's the idea that broship must only mean men and acting like women and men can't be good friends.

I still think it's her:

She is on the side of Stella/Luna (the E3 2013 trailer where they had 5v5) so it most likely is her. But in some of the old trailers they had Noctis and Stella/Luna fighting each other so I wonder if that is still going to happen. I think it will be early in the game where they have to fight each for their families and towards the end they worth together to "resolve" the conflict between their families.

wmlk

Final Fantasy has been one of the better gaming companies in regards to female characters. Female representation is still struggling in the industry even if it's gotten better.

We don't live in a vacuum where these problems don't exist.

So we're going to marginalize Tabata's and Nomura's vision and game because of that. Okay.

Is Stella all of a sudden Asuna? Stella is going to be an extremely important character in the game, and we have that black-haired lady too. Just because the main cast are protagonists doesn't mean that the game objectifies women.

ZSeba

So we're going to marginalize Tabata's and Nomura's vision and game because of that. Okay.

Is Stella all of a sudden Asuna? Stella is going to be an extremely important character in the game, and we have that black-haired lady too. Just because the main cast are protagonists doesn't mean that the whole game objectifies women.

No one said anything about objectifying women

HHTurtle

Neo Member

They are based in Japan. Some of them may be aware but they are not thoroughly involved with the Gamergate nonsense that's been going around, which is why I think they don't have any malicious intents at all.

Stella and Luna may not be controllable within the game but who says they are going to be portrayals of bad female stereotypes? We haven't even seen much of them in action yet.

Where is this rule that is written down that reads only playable characters are good and all side characters are inherently inferior?

sappyday

Everything is being blown out of proportion. I do want the KH gameplay but at the same time I want to know the battle system at its full extent before passing it off.

Falk

that puzzling face
They can't please everybody.
13 cast was as diverse as can get without adding characters like Freya, Fran and Kimahri.
The cast was very bland anyway.

You used Freya as an example in a game with VIVI and Quina? D:

Top Bottom