• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interview with Tabata details Final Fantasy XV's battle system and more

May16

The negative reactions bum me out a lot more than the actual news. Haha.

I really hate what "no female" entails. Having only four selectable party members would suck. Having more than four and the rest are even more male members would also suck.

Wait, is this confirmed that there are no playable females or female party members at all? I thought the thing was we've only seen dudes so far. Am I mixed up?

aly

I adored X-2 and especially loved the fact it was an all female cast due to the lack of female representation in gaming. Sure, there's some questionable parts but overall the characters were strong and their development was well done.

It's really a shame because Luna and Stella's designs are great and having them playable or at least party members would have been great.

I know a lot of people were turned off by the battle system and the clothing aspect, but whatever I loved it. Hoping this is a curve ball and they just join late in the game.

Am I alone in wanting some sort of token creature party member in every FF?

Nah, those are usually awesome. I did'nt like Kimahri's development through the grid though. Those types of characters need to stand out.

Squire

Banned
Wait, is this confirmed that there are no playable females? I thought the thing was we've only seen dudes so far. Am I mixed up?

They've been insisting for a while the party is men only. Presumably there's a reason for that, but it's probably not a good one, since it never is anywhere else.

duckroll

Thanks to duckroll and benzy for this.

――Once again, please explain the battle system to us.

Tabata: The battle will be real time action. However, you will constantly be fighting alongside your party members. It is an action battle that emphasizes party teamwork. This battle system is a somewhat streamlined version of FF Type-0's.

Your party members will automatically coordinate their attacks with you. There are many different elements such as weapons or abilities that make it easy to achieve coordination so you might try one combination out and then try another one. It's this sort of trial and error system that I think will be lots of fun for the players to tinker around with.

IMO, Tabata's use of the word "簡易" doesn't mean that the game is going to be super easy. The word "簡単" is more fitting for that. I think that "簡易" is more suitably translated as "streamlined" or "accessible". Again, this is only my opinion.

I think simplified is a perfectly appropriate translation. No one is saying the game will be "super easy", but rather that they're making the controls easier to -use-. They're talking about controls here, not difficulty or game challenge. Streamlined is fine too. But like I said before, I don't think people are worried the game will be too easy, but rather that it's just not what they expected it to be.

In the three Japanese interviews (Famitsu, 4Gamer, Dengeki) I've read today, and the two English ones (Game Informer, Kotaku), Tabata takes pains to express that he wants the action in the combat to be free flowing, and he also points out that there will be strategic mechanics involved in setting put party behavior and your weapon deck and abilities to influence the flow of battles. This seems to have resulted in a lot of automation and "streamlining" like you said. I think it's understandable why people who have followed the early development of Versus is worried about this.

Personally I agree that it's too early to make judgements on whether it "sucks" or whatever, since none of us have played it. It could very well end up as a very fun battle system on it's own merits, but that would require approaching it with an open mind. Some people aren't very capable of that right now because they have waited 8 years for the "Kingdom Hearts" FF game! :)

It literally sounds like... the only button inputs you'll be doing are hold attack... hold defend...go back to attack. All you need to think about is timing? Weapon switching is auto selected, assists are auto, evade/attack do their own thing when held down... I hated FF12's system because I did essentially nothing in battle when I programmed my characters properly. This sounds just as bad.

Nerokis

I read these tidbits, and the emphasis on preparation + automation makes XV sound like it could be a brilliant iOS game.

I have to imagine more information and context will change that impression, though.

MormaPope

Banned
Nah, those are usually awesome. I did'nt like Kimahri's development through the grid though. Those types of characters need to stand out.

If you use him enough he reaches the end of his grid way before anybody else, then you plop him onto Auron's and then you have a really powerful Ronso.

Wazzy

Banned
I hope the internet cut Square some slack over the male only party thing.

I mean havent had a Final Fantasy game without a Female lead since FFX.

People aren't asking for a female lead(though it would be fantastic if there was one) but for female party members. We haven't ever had a FF game without them. In a world where female representation was better, I would probably not think this is a big deal but when the series has been so good with their female characters it's really shitty to see this all male party.

And anyway, this also ignores the fact that FF has mainly had male leads already.

They've been insisting for a while the party is men only. Presumably there's a reason for that, but it's probably not a good one, since it never is anywhere else.
An all male party can be done well, just like an all female party can be done well. The issue here is that there doesn't seem to be any rationale for it. It fit X-2 to have an all female party. What about XV lends itself to being all male?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I sure don't know. But then again, we don't know really know anything about this game.
This System remindes me more like the System in KH CoM.
Someone else has said this, and I don't understand how exactly.

MormaPope

Banned

The Western audience complaining about Lightning and the focus being on her could be a justification, a really poor one at that.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Honestly, I like how all of that sounds. I have faith in Tabata.

aly

An all male party can be done well, just like an all female party can be done well. The issue here is that there doesn't seem to be any rationale for it. It fit X-2 to have an all female party. What about XV lends itself to being all male?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I sure don't know. But then again, we don't know really know anything about this game.

Someone else has said this, and I don't understand how exactly.

Didn't they the story was focusing on a journey and friendship? I mean that could easily fit together in a sort of boy and his friends coming of age story.

Kuro

Maybe I'm dense, but how are you getting CoM vibes? That game actually had a pretty neat battle system. The way this is described makes it sound like everything is automated with hardly any input from the player.

I'm making the OT for the demo. The meltdowns in that thread are going to be of epic proportions :(

The strategy of building your deck before battles and then your "weapons" being part of a shuffled deck sounds like what they're talking about with the AI and weapons.

HHTurtle

Neo Member
I think simplified is a perfectly appropriate translation. No one is saying the game will be "super easy", but rather that they're making the controls easier to -use-.

I've added parts to my post before that explains more on why this is possibly a good thing.

Tsuna

I think I'll wait for the demo before giving judgement. Could be better then what it sounds and/or there is stuff we still don't know about.

If it does end up being bad then hopefully the negative feedback causes SE to make changes.

So far the biggest disappointment for me is no female/other party members.

Dark_castle

You get to customize your combos, and instead of mashing X you hold X. A little give a little take. Might be good.

Holding X doesn't bother me as much as no more other playable party members. That really stings. Disappointed so bloody much.

I don't like the talk about streamlining (this is worst term to use in the world of gaming, a taboo), and the possibility where the only way to pull off combo is holding, andmanual button presses wouldn't work. Real-time manual weapon switching is gone too? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat.......

And Tabata still hasn't clarify how the defensive stance works. And too many context-sensitive moves. God.

Krammy

Everything I've seen from TGS about this game has deflated my hype. I wasn't happy about the seemingly bland open world they settled on, by comparison to the lush world from the few Versus XIII video and screens we had. Now combat sounds like it's been simplified to the point of being non-existent, and while I'll reserve my judgement of the gameplay for the demo, I'm not even looking forward to it at this point. I'm sad about this turn of events considering I spent a lot of time drooling over this game and chomping at the bit for information (like many others have).

Bullet point list of gameplay concerns.
This was how I expected the game to play, almost to a tee. This is the XV that I would have wanted

So from what I understand:
Noctis has different weapons that he pulls out of thin air. Before a battle or during a battle you can open up a menu and change the order of his weapons. By changing the order of his weapons you can open up a new string of combos by pressing X, the game decides which weapons he uses. So maybe if you're far from an enemy he uses a spear to close in and then uses his sword or whatever. Basically, the order in which you put his weapons in changes what might happen when you hold down X.

Philippo

Why are some insisting so muc about female characters? I know every FF had them, and i love them too, but do you actually want one forced into the party, instead of sticking to the original vision which actually makes a lot of sense, just for the sake of having one?

Squire

Banned
There's only one reason needed for stuff like this.

"My story,my characters,my intent."

tumblr_mronw60ajT1rm1u90o1_250.gif

The Western audience complaining about Lightning and the focus being on her could be a justification, a really poor one at that.

They announced this game so long ago and close to XIII, I actually don't think they'd trot that out as an excuse. I don't think they'd be that low or at least I hope.

Mortemis

Banned
Personally I agree that it's too early to make judgements on whether it "sucks" or whatever, since none of us have played it. It could very well end up as a very fun battle system on it's own merits, but that would require approaching it with an open mind. Some people aren't very capable of that right now because they have waited 8 years for the "Kingdom Hearts" FF game! :)

The wait is over, the game is dead, that much is obvious now. I guess I was just hoping to god that XV would keep as much of Versus as possible, now I'm just pissed because the reality of Versus being canceled is finally hitting me, its gone. :(

By the time the demo comes I'm sure I'll be more accepting when I get to play it.

Why are some insisting so muc about female characters? I know every FF had them, and i love them too, but do you actually want one forced into the party, instead of sticking to the original vision which actually makes a lot of sense, just for the sake of having one?
As I said above as an example, the all female cast in X-2 worked because it fit the vision of the game. We don't really know what the "original vision" of this game is, so it's perfectly reasonable to ask why female characters (or any other characters) weren't a part of that vision. What for crying out loud IS the vision of this game?

At this point it sounds like a watered down ARPG with a bro-subplot and no character variety. Whoopie. What a vision.

Mory Dunz

This thread is kind of interesting for me...

As someone who's been a FF15 pessimist (the environments I saw, the open world idea travelling with a car, Noctis's personality, the lack of any vibrant bright colors), the battle system is one thing I'm not worried about lol.

I don't think I've ever not liked a FF battle system. Even 12 which I disliked until I actually played it. So that's the one thing I have complete confidence in.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
As I said above, the all female cast in X-2 worked because it fit the vision of the game. We don't really know what the "original vision" of this game is, so it's perfectly reasonable to ask why female characters (or any other characters) weren't a part of that vision.

Isn't it obvious? The story follows the prince and his bodyguards/friends.

Apparently guy friends hanging out together doesn't make sense to a lot of people.

Krammy

Also, everyone's talking about Stella and Luna and female party members but what about getting more info on the Lady Dragoon.
final_fantasy_versus_xiii___dragoon_by_oftheabyss92-d4j8ku2.gif

Kuro

If their original vision is the incredibly overused trope of male friendship shounen bullshit than yes, force females into the picture immediately.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm still going to withhold judgement about the battle system and everything else until I actually see more or get my hands on the game but I'll always be disappointed by the lack of female party members. If this were still Versus, I wouldn't mind as much but have it a numbered mainline just makes things worse. :/

Slowdive

Banned
As I said above, the all female cast in X-2 worked because it fit the vision of the game. We don't really know what the "original vision" of this game is, so it's perfectly reasonable to ask why female characters (or any other characters) weren't a part of that vision.

I really would've liked females to be in but Nomura already said ages ago it's about brotherhood so it'd be hard for them to be playable with Noctis, so I was kind of expecting it.

Top Bottom