• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Not everything is rosy on Sony's side too.

Just saying...

2014 probably would have worked out better for both companies.

shit lol

then again people were already thinking this after the blog post about firmware 1.5 and the loss of stuff like suspend/resume.

There is some issues on Sony's side but not like MSFT.

The issues I have heard about are based on connection which is due to go up next week.

If things go as they should it should be fine since we're fast approaching Sony getting their network on for PS4.

If I can get confirmation I will but it depends on availability.

ah, safe so far.

Just saying...

I'm sure Sony is having issues with their os and network infrastructure, as well. But that, to be honest, would be far less surprising. It sounds like MS is taking big steps backwards philosophically in some areas, as compared with the x360 last gen. This is the most surprising thing. J Allard really was a genius as the overall system architect (even considering the RROD fiasco).

They need him back helming the ship ASAP.

I'm not sure which thread it was (50% more powerful thread?), but one gaffer very succinctly itemized each of the Xbone screw ups since the PS4 reveal, and how it translated into the system appearing as half-baked as it currently does because MS was caught with it's pants down.

This is just another bullet point to add to the existing compilation.

UNCMark

Banned

Just saying...

Since you were the one that actually spilled what Pete posted tonight, why don't you share your PS4 info too? Some of us have pre-orders to consider.

gogojira

People are getting way too crazy with Jeff's simple comment. Also, he updated about that: http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/65307196314/you-are-now-accidentally-the-person-who-has-confirmed

"Hah. Anyone taking that as confirmation of anything other than my feeling that no one is out there showing very much (if any) real, unedited footage of the Xbox One dashboard is reaching, big time. If people needed me to point that out to them, then they must not be paying very much attention.

It’s like watching people who don’t understand how numbers work trying to complete a connect the dots book. Everything’s connected!"

C Jones

Sony has their own challenges and have been very coy about handing out machines with working online. Journalists are highly skeptical if PSN will work on Day 1 on PS4 since it has yet to go live.

I know it's cool to throw MS into the furnace, but Sony has their fair share of issues as well. They are just not as transparent at the moment.

That said, the fucking complexity of running THREE OPERATING SYSTEMS, snapping, and silly concurrency of apps is causing a short term nightmare.
Ohhh boy

McDougles

ltls.jpg

I guess I started it, but he's gained ~50 followers in an hour from his Twitter breakdown. I thought it was fair.

IN&OUT

Banned
funny thing after bashing PS3 for years because it's online service and party chat, MS screwed this very own thing 8 years later..

GAF is jumping to conclusions as usual, but I do agree with the much larger sentiment that next generation wasn't ready. You have Sony delaying games and holding back features from its OS(no secret there) and now you have Microsoft being coy when it comes to showing it's system in an uncontrolled environment. Same with Sony and the review event. Nintendo is looking at least for the best bang for your buck better and better with all this bickering that's coming out. I can get a Wii U bundle for 300 and 3 or 4 games with it and match the price of next generation then wait till next year to buy a more stable release of those consoles.

thuway

There is some issues on Sony's side but not like MSFT.

The issues I have heard about are based on connection which is due to go up next week.

The negativity for PS4 has to do with journalists blindly being told to believe the OS will work 100% on launch, PSN will work optimally, and things will go smooth as butter without any machine before hand to test out. Still, MS has a huge headache ahead of them with all the crashes, bugs, and broken features.

DeltaJay

Banned
Full disclosure: I have an Xbox One pre-ordered.

I can see where you are coming from. If the news was something along the lines of "online play will NOT be ready for launch" I would be more worked up. That is concrete. But to hear that a company is having issues (as big as they may be) ahead of a product launch, and these issues may or may not be sorted out in time...I dunno. I have had experiences in the workplace where everything up to a product launch ended up being crazy, with just about everything that could go wrong going wrong, and yet the final product would end up executing just fine because we worked around the clock to get done what needed to get done regardless of the roadblocks.

I don't mind knowing these current issues but I'm not going to go out and cancel my pre-order. My guess is everyone at the Xbox division is working around the clock to make sure that these issues are resolved in time for launch. That may mean they end up being 100% resolved or only 25% resolved and it's a giant cluster F. My point is that I don't think the system should be judged based on this. I'll judge the system when it launches because that's when we'll know just how much of this is still an issue. And if it does turn out to be disastrous, which it very well could, I'll just return it.

Ended up writing a bit more than I meant to @_@.

Well thank you for being logical. If the software is truly broken at launch then I will simply return the system and wait to buy a PS4 when it becomes available. I understand that this is a concern but it's jarring that people are passing this off as confirmation. I refuse to act on speculation and rumor. Waiting for proof and concrete evidence of a claim isn't downplaying a particular claim at all. It's simply waiting on a true confirmation before clicking off the safety and firing for effect.

nib95

Banned

Just saying...

Sony has their own challenges and have been very coy about handing out machines with working online. Journalists are highly skeptical if PSN will work on Day 1 on PS4 since it has yet to go live.

I know it's cool to throw MS into the furnace, but Sony has their fair share of issues as well. They are just not as transparent at the moment.

That said, the fucking complexity of running THREE OPERATING SYSTEMS, snapping, and silly concurrency of apps is causing a short term nightmare.

No doubt, otherwise Sony would have sleep mode or whatever available for launch. I'm going to assume Sony's a lot further ahead though, or at least has a stronger foundation laid out for their online stuff. Especially after the PS3, and the rectification with the Vita, and now hopefully the PS4 too.

But there's no damage to control?

Broken online and XBL, a good degree weaker hardware at $100 more expense, 720p on a lot of tent pole titles when the competition is pushing higher etc etc, does not need damage control?

You are comparing game design to console design, which isn't always wrong to do, but this is an issue ingrained, not just done with some patch. I suggest at least reading the first three pages thoroughly to get a better idea of what that means.

And depending on how new you are to things, both information leakers are trusted, respected sources, especially cboat calling things about both consoles well before the company's PR sections could.

I'm not saying it isn't a mess right now. Their current information about the state of the OS could certainly be true. I've read the first three pages, and do understand what it "could" mean, but OS development is still software development, and I've done more than just games in that regard (crazy weird stuff for Michelin Tire Company.) I also know people that work on Windows, and have some insight into OS development too. Yes, its different on the hardware front, because you're creating the ways that developers interface with hardware, etc. but the fact still remains that these things can and do change rapidly.

Again, I'm not saying there aren't problems right now. Where there's smoke, there's fire. I'm just saying they are going to try to put it out before launch, and they still have ~20 days to get something in and ready to go. They certainly have the resources and talent to do such.

Thanks, it's been a rough week.

If Mort ends up being right about this I'll be right there admitting it and it'll likely even restore my full trust in him too. I've got nothing against him or anything, it's just those comments created that sort of caution for me. I'm choosing to play it safe with this particular rumor.

My condolences man.

spannicus

Rumors or fact about this, I do know more enough about the XB1 to say that this launch is going to be rocky.

I think I'm going to drop my preorder and wait until Spring to decide on the XB1. I'll get the PS4 at launch, and wait and see how Microsoft's post-launch game comes together. Right now my confidence is pretty low in MS, and I played my 360 90% of the time this generation between all three consoles.

Keep your pre order, if rumors turn out to be true then you just return it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
n0v04aE.png

Jeff clarifying

But honestly MS has been more cagey about their OS than Sony has. Time will tell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So fun to see some of these journalists/industry people talking mad shit on Twitter about Pete and news that breaks on NeoGAF or Reddit. Just completely ignoring all of the info that has leaked on forums leading up to the launch of these things. Meanwhile, there hasn't been a single journalist that I'm aware of who has actually attempted to get to the bottom of any of this. Most of them have either been avoiding the topics completely, but there have been a good number who have been trying to obfuscate and pretty much play free PR for Microsoft. What a disgrace.

Ok Schreier.

You are officially in the good book.

Still not sure I believe this story though. Seems like old info mixed with all the excitement of this weekends witch hunt.

If XBL was broken we would start hearing a lot more about it. Ill wait and see.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Broken online and XBL, a good degree weaker hardware at $100 more expense, 720p on a lot of tent pole titles when the competition is pushing higher etc etc, does not need damage control?

read the OP again, please. Online nor XBL is broken.

BadAss2961

Really surprised to hear that Microsoft is having issues on the software side. I knew this launch was rushed, but damn.

Pretty much what I've been saying. Thread spun that shit with a healthy dose of confirmation bias faster than Jeff could rephrase.

Seriously. Its 2 random internet dudes posting rumors. Can we hold off for like 2 weeks?

"2 random internet dudes posting rumors" is technically true, I guess, but it's not really fair.

Pop

So Sony's problem seems to be that their online isn't up yet because they're waiting on the review event to enable it. Doesn't sound nowhere near the problems of Xbox.

IN&OUT

Banned

I wouldn't worry much about Sony, they showed KZ online at gamescom, they've been showing Vita remote play since February.

gogosox8

Wow if true but it is a consoles launch so it was probably going to be a little rough regardless but similar to the ps3? That's kind of stunning. Maybe changing all the drm stuff delayed this stuff from being done on time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom