• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MormaPope

Banned
No.

Maybe all of you need to go back to the OP and read the blog post a 3rd time to get past your Sony blinders. This type of mentality of ganging up on a poster replying to someone seemingly purposefully spreading misinformation is ridiculous and should not be allowed.

This issues are with online UI features, not online gameplay stuff, from the info in the OP.

I absolutely adore how you didn't bold or mention this part

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

He then said “If all you are doing is running a game and that’s the only app things are fine.”

Those aren't UI issues, those are issues relating to the social infrastructure of Xbox Live. Go ahead though, accuse me of being a Sony fanboy when the 360 has been my main console these past 8 years and I've held the original Xbox and 360 highly. Sorry people aren't willing to overlook these issues, judgement and criticism aren't poisonous.

Bsigg12

The people who designed Xbox Live aren't there anymore. I dunno why people expect MS to still be king at that.

There are quite a few people left actually. I can't think of his name, but the guy who has the first gamertag ever "e" is still there. He has played a pretty big part in Xbox Live.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Bingo. Rebut the posts and insider tidbits Mortimer and co posted with actual facts, knowledge and/or technical explanations, or don't bother. All his posts in this thread are of the same pedigree. Damage control. Not surprising giving his latest admission he was a TeamXbox/MSXbox employee....

Except you still fail to read the OP.

And I'm not damage controlling because there is NOTHING to damage control. Like holy shit.

The complaints in the OP are almost entirely about the APIs and the lack of seamlessness/stability in VOIP and some easily fixable errors that occur when the game is running in parallel with an app ON A NOT YET FINAL OS

Its like complaining about a live tile not updating in a windows 8 beta

So what happens if this turns out to be more anonymous FUD?

Yep. I imagine changing things up after the DD reversal caused some headaches. Still, MS's main strength is their online service. They likely know what they're doing.
They had the best development tools and the more straightforward developer-friendly architecture this generation.

While the PS3 was an over-engineered, ridiculously expensive, hard to develop for system with poor development tools (I think someone said the SDK documentation was entirely in Japanese at launch?)

Things change. Priorities change. People change.

Past performance doesn't necessarily always predict future results.

JuiceJones

Neo Member
Another comment from the blog post.

*ACTUAL* MSoft XBO OS Dev
on October 28, 2013 at 3:52 am

I don’t know who the hell that last guy was, but I’m an actual Xbox dev. Shit is flying here and nothing is ready. XBL crashes like crazy, snap feature may not make it for launch, and smartglass is not even close to being cooked. I’m going to have to come in on the weekends for the next year with the way things are going. Thing is I was here when the Xbox 360 launched, and man that was a vision and a product that we had faith in. It was beautiful. Kinect had it’s detractors, but it rejuvinated the Xbox brand in a whole new way. And now this is all going to shit. There is no vision for XB1, just a lot of meddling from the higher ups and no clear goals other than TV TV TV. Most of this won’t be fixed at launch. I would quit now if I didn’t have collegues that would suffer because of it.

Also who the hell is Kevin Dent. No one has touch any retail kits here unless they’re a part of the MS team

Wow...what's with the hate towards Mort right now?...that's the type of crap that makes people stop posting their inside info...

He is admittedly putting his rep on the line with this stuff...

Not for nothing but Mort probably has the best track record recently for leaks...I don't think he is jealous of CBOAT at all...

Back on topic...this is so bizarro...who can MS have flubbed this entire launch so bad?...I think anyone who doesn't believe MS was just simply not prepared to launch this console in 2013 is delusional at this point...

i can't believe non of these reports have been broken by any "legit" game journalist. I swear they're all useless PR tools for these huge corporations.

Keep up the good work Mortimer

And I'm not damage controlling because there is NOTHING to damage control. Like holy shit.

The complaints in the OP are almost entirely about the APIs and the lack of seamlessness in VOIP and some easily fixable errors that occur when the game is running in parallel with an app ON A NOT YET FINAL OS

Almost like you're ignoring all of the other insider info, amazing.

This launch is bringing the industry to its knees.

Blood Soultaker ‏@bradshoemaker

lol

I don't understand, two consoles are launching within a week of each other (nearly a decade since the last ones), people are in a frenzy lusting for news, and this guy career is dependent upon clicks to the site he works at and he just wants it to be over and done with. What!? I don't understand why gaming press has such a hard time acting just a little enthused about such a fun and entertainment driven medium. Cover these stories, dig up some news, investigate something, act like you care about the thing you cover.

I listen to sports radio a lot and those guys do 200 something shows a year 3-4 hours each talking sports, and then sometimes do other sports related events, and yet when it comes to the big events you think they get jaded and upset about the coverage? NO! They revel in it. So here we are 3 weeks out from new consoles and nobody in the gaming media seems to care.

With all the hype in the lead up to Mortimer's post I was expecting something much, much bigger.

I think next time it might be a good idea to just post the info without all the 'look at me' teasing beforehand.
While I agree, the hand shake things is a big deal. Microsoft is meant to lock this shit down, it's not the kind of thing they want to change mid way through a generation. Just look at how reluctant they were to compromise on things like friends lists because of legacy support/short sighted decisions.

Seriously I love console launches, the drama, the tears, the journalists going at it on each other. It's just so good, feel like we need Gies opinion on this though.

The complaints in the OP are almost entirely about the APIs and the lack of seamlessness in VOIP and some easily fixable errors that occur when the game is running in parallel with an app ON A NOT YET FINAL OS

Except people are paying money for this to work. Money they feel they shouldn't be paying in the first place.

People get angry when Shit they pay for doesn't work.

You are right in the sense that it could be fixed, but before or after they've paid for it to work?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why does it matter what people look like.... honestly

It obviously doesn't. It's just my own personal bias. The picture reminded me of some older computer geek--someone like Loyd Case (who is awesome). The childish comebacks and arrogant idiocy just caught me off guard.

VeeP

As somebody with both consoles on preorder I'm actually taking this as good news for the Xbox One. Software / network issues can be patched. With Microsoft's history with hardware failures I was much more concerned about having a repeat of the rrod nightmare. Even a hint of that this time around would be enough for me to cancel my preorder. We're increasingly seeing major products released with incomplete/buggy software. Apple just sold 15 odd million iPhone 5s with uncalibrated accelerometers. These things happen and are acceptable given the complexity and level of functionality we want from our devices. Whether by launch or by next year these things will be patched out. If you want something that works perfectly as promised in the advertising you do not buy a launch day product be it a car, a phone or a games console.

I wouldn't really compare accelerometers to online play. This is like if you couldn't message or use the internet with you iPhone 5S. Xbox Live is basically the heart of Xbox IMO. Hopefully MS sorts out these problems before releases.

I don’t know who the hell that last guy was, but I’m an actual Xbox dev. Shit is flying here and nothing is ready. XBL crashes like crazy, snap feature may not make it for launch, and smartglass is not even close to being cooked. I’m going to have to come in on the weekends for the next year with the way things are going. Thing is I was here when the Xbox 360 launched, and man that was a vision and a product that we had faith in. It was beautiful. Kinect had it’s detractors, but it rejuvinated the Xbox brand in a whole new way. And now this is all going to shit. There is no vision for XB1, just a lot of meddling from the higher ups and no clear goals other than TV TV TV. Most of this won’t be fixed at launch. I would quit now if I didn’t have collegues that would suffer because of it.

Also who the hell is Kevin Dent. No one has touch any retail kits here unless they’re a part of the MS team

lol. Sounds more in line with our insiders.

Bsigg12

Seriously I love console launches, the drama, the tears, the journalists going at it on each other. It's just so good, feel like we need Gies opinion on this though.

The journalists slinging shit at each other is amazing. Twitter is a platform for pure insanity in these situations and its beautiful.

RedAssedApe

Banned

I wouldn't put any faith into any of those blog comments. Could very well have been posted by any one of us. :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't he gone now?

He hasn't posted in almost two months, but he still lurks. As humorous as they were, people quoting his 10MB+ gifs endlessly ruined them for me; there were few things worse than entering a thread only to see dozens upon dozens of posts quoting one of his gifs with one or few-word expressions of greatness. Surely after the 25th quote, someone else chiming in becomes redundant.

maomao

Banned
Remember the holiday with xbl outage due to many people getting on xbl at the same time on boxing day? and we got undertow for free. It probably won't be any better this time around.

Tsundere

Banned
Except I'm not even trying. This is barely worthy of my time.

f8bYUMY.jpg

This reads like a gaffers fan fiction.

It hits every point made in this thread.

I call BS on both of these insiders.

Mononoke

Banned
I find it strange how people are downplaying this as not a big deal. If the OS and Online is so broke that it could take months to fix, this just reinforces the fact that this a very rushed device that has poor design choices. Why would anyone feel comfortable investing $500 into this.

Dug

Banned

I have a feeling the next post will be:

*ACTUAL* *ACTUAL* MSoft XBO OS Dev

Everything is fine, no need to worry! I swear!

viveks86

Will the real MSoft Dev please stand up?

nib95

Banned
I am not ignoring anything. You guys are just using this as a confirmation bias.

Given that you've been one of those championing this notion that the hardware differences between the two consoles are negligible, and that we'd see barely any differences between multiplatform titles, I find this extra amusing.

Sounds more like a real dev.

Ouch. Are you still working for Microsoft?

HariKari

More Jeff

Anonymous asked:I'm not sure Sony has been particularly forthcoming with unedited footage of their OS, either. They've both been pretty cagey in that regard.

Jeff: Didn’t some French site post a ton of raw, off-screen footage of themselves fucking around with a PS4? Could’ve sworn I saw that awhile ago.

Anyway, yeah, they’ve both been a little cagey, I guess. But I feel like I know way more about how the PS4 front-end will look and work, while all the Xbox One dashboard and multitasking footage looks… fake?

I suspect the talk of them having trouble will end up being at least partially true. I’d call it a “gut feeling” but that’s probably just that habanero I ate yesterday causing issues.

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/

Proelite

Sounds more like a real dev. Real devs are always shitting themselves come launch.

I don't understand, two consoles are launching within a week of each other (nearly a decade since the last ones), people are in a frenzy lusting for news, and this guy career is dependent upon clicks to the site he works at and he just wants it to be over and done with. What!? I don't understand why gaming press has such a hard time acting just a little enthused about such a fun and entertainment driven medium. Cover these stories, dig up some news, investigate something, act like you care about the thing you cover.

I listen to sports radio a lot and those guys do 200 something shows a year 3-4 hours each talking sports, and then sometimes do other sports related events, and yet when it comes to the big events you think they get jaded and upset about the coverage? NO! They revel in it. So here we are 3 weeks out from new consoles and nobody in the gaming media seems to care.

Not that surprising if you followed the (non)reactions to stuff like the used game/DRM issues.

co1onel

I wouldn't give any credit to posts from random people on the blog.

It sounds like Microsoft and Sony have swapped places here.

PS3 was designed by hardware engineers with a lot of feedback coming from outside gaming division (entertainment), while you can tell the 360 was designed by gamers / software developers. The decisions made at launch hampered what the PS3 was able to do once they started re-designing the approach. PS4 seems to be designed by gamers / software developers first and foremost.

Ken Kutaragi doomed the PS3 with his decisions. Who is the Kutaragi at Microsoft that's responsible for this? Also hopefully the decisions made today won't limit what they can do in the future once they evolve the OS / network services (hopefully to be more gamer focused).

Note - I have not been keeping up with the news as much, so forgive my ignorance if you don't think this is the case.

Not sure who their Kutaragi is, but is it too much of a coincidence that Phil Harrison was an executive at both companies? While, SCE seemed to begin to (slowly) turn things around after he left, Phil did leave a big impact. He signed developers like Media Molecule. But most importantly, he allowed Mark Cerny to be the PS4 architect. That is somewhat funny as he now must face up against the system he green lit.

Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

This is not actually that bad people, it happens on the 360 all the time, especially connection issues, and it would be nice if they would get fixed, but this stuff already happens.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
HOW could they screw this up?
EVERY PUBLISHER screwed this up Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Sure they've had 7 years to get things straight and some have fucked up more than others but it's okay. Problems happen at the beginning of every gen. People need to just give it time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom