• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys! everything is fine!
stash-1-511ff566cf1e6.gif

Just thinking about it..........have we ever seen the full UI of Xbox One off screen? I mean we have seen like bits of it, but never the OS fully running in the MSFT store have we?

I think it's telling that Sony showed their OS live during a presentation and as per normal Microsoft did a fake live presentation.

wapplew

Nothing cannot fix by service pack rite?
“We are proud to announce Xbox one OS 1.1 update will be FREE to upgrade next holiday.
Beta will be starting today.”

plasmasd

Granted there have only been 3 console generations during the period of the mass consumption internet, that said, this has been the most fun to watch. I almost wish the rollercoaster would never end.

Granted there have only been 3 console generations during the period of the mass consumption internet, that said, this has been the most fun to watch. I almost wish the rollercoaster would never end.

Just wait for the Dreamcast gen level breakdowns if all this comes to pass. So far this gen has NOTHING on the GAF back then. It was the Wild West with Space Ships, and Dinosaurs.

prwxv3

Both will have issues. They are guaranteed. What's matters is how bad the issues are and for how long. Month long fixes for a integral party of your console is very bad.

K' Dash

This is not actually that bad people, it happens on the 360 all the time, especially connection issues, and it would be nice if they would get fixed, but this stuff already happens.

I sold my 360 in early 2012, and rarely had any trouble with party chat, some of us were playing Gears, other fifa, others watching a movie and it worked beautifully.

I wonder, how do you mess up something in a NEW hardware and software, that works SO GOOD in your last console.

I don't believe this for one second.

ViciousDS

Banned
I think it's telling that Sony showed their OS live during a presentation and as per normal Microsoft did a fake live presentation.

I mean even live streams of games from Perfect World Entertainment had it crash to the OS and we even saw stuff then.....but everything on the X1 OS has only been posted by Microsoft basically.

We have tons of people off screen messing with UI not related to Sony yet Microsoft has almost nothing.

Has anyone at the X1 tour tried hitting the guide button or anything to get some footage of the OS? Is it possible they disabled the guide button(at the Tour locations) once a game is running because it could crash if they pull of the main UI?

So was there no transfer of knowledge from the 360 team to the bone team?

How do you go backwards?

How do you hand the design reins to those who don't understand the needs of gaming, or the history of failures and successes that informed the current design?

Both will have issues. They are guaranteed. What's matters is how bad the issues are and for how long. Month long fixes for a integral party of your console is very bad.
Especially so when you charge a fee for even basic features of your console. Triply so when you're known for trying to sell always-online as robust and reliable.

But yeah, I expect both MS and Sony to have some significant growing pains at launch.

Jburton

Banned
I don't think we can discount the possibility that Sony and Microsoft are having issues with their at they moment. And that's no way of knowing if those issues will be resolved in 2-3 weeks.

It's fun to pile on Microsoft. But Who's seen a full on demo of the PS4 system, and why again are they not releasing review units before their event? I was defending it earlier today, maybe it's time to take another look at the hints being dropped around both console launches

A couple of posts above shows a video of the UI running.

Not that surprising if you followed the (non)reactions to stuff like the used game/DRM issues.

That was infuriating to watch unfold. Even if you were okay with that stance, at least back it with some conviction. Instead media were just "eh, it was bound to happen, Steam, iOS, bleh, deal with it", even if they didn't necessarily like it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
We just need a GopherD and a CBOAT intervention and we'll be in the realm of legends... again.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I sold my 360 in early 2012, and rarely had any trouble with party chat, some of us were playing Gears, other fifa, others watching a movie and it worked beautifully.

I wonder, how do you mess up something in a NEW hardware and software, that works SO GOOD in your last console.

Me and my friends will randomly get dropped in the middle of parties, it happens not too often, but often enough that it's pretty mundane and whoever got dropped will come back and just say, "party glitch" and we all understand. I have also been in parties that just completely drop everyone at once.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I mean even live streams of games from Perfect World Entertainment had it crash to the OS and we even saw stuff then.....but everything on the X1 OS has only been posted by Microsoft basically.

We have tons of people off screen messing with UI not related to Sony yet Microsoft has almost nothing.

Has anyone at the X1 tour tried hitting the guide button or anything to get some footage of the OS? Is it possible they disabled the guide button(at the Tour locations) once a game is running because it could crash if they pull of the main UI?

Many people have messed around with the X1 OS on the dev unit.

Ps devs don't have access to retail units obviously

DeltaJay

Banned
BTW..

There have been videos of both leaked footage of early builds of the PS4 and Xbone UI. Also, there have also been footage of the UI's at work during gamescom (especially for the PS4 vid that was recently posted here).

Random comments being quoted. Come on... there's no need for that. We have enough rumours floating around as is. Let's wait for more comments from verified sources!

I hope some info comes out about PS4 functions being borked so we can have an anti-Sony thread. I think some people need it to stay sane.

HariKari

From another place where I post:

I went to Future Shop earlier and they had 2 Xbox One stations where you could try out a very short Forza 5 demo. The only positive I have is that the controller is fantastic. Unlike the Xbox 360 controller, this one felt great in my tiny hands.

Now onto the negatives..

-The console legit looks like a VCR. It's absolutely hideous.

-Not impressed at all by the graphics of Forza 5. The foliage on the trees still have that jaggedy look to it, the scenery in the background is very meh... The cut scenes looked great, though. I was expecting much more from a next-gen console... Maybe I should start lowering expectations.

-I'm not much of a fan of racing games so I'm not going to judge the gameplay because I have absolutely no frame of reference. The guy who played before me kept complaining that his car kept spinning out of control whenever he barely hit the breaks. The Xbox rep said *laughing* "I know! A lot of people said that."

-I asked the rep if I could see the dashboard and she said no.

That's all I have.

I'm sure there are others with a similar experience.

Bailers

So was there no transfer of knowledge from the 360 team to the bone team?

How do you go backwards?

How do you hand the design reins to those who don't understand the needs of gaming, or the history of failures and successes that informed the current design?

With what I've heard of Microsoft culture, it's not a surprise. They supposedly rate your performance on a bell curve in your division, so you're always at war to be a top performer. Kinda encourages undermining others and discourages succession planning and knowledge transfer.

I don't know who those other 2 guys who commented on the blog were, but I'm a REAL Xbox dev and let me give you guys the low down. Microsoft is behind on Xbox One because they are secretly in negotiations to merge with Nintendo. Nintendo is going to kill the Wii U in 2014 and create games exclusively for Xbox One. Mario 3D World and ExciteBike Kinect are both scheduled to launch in 2014 and both will be 900p.

Loudninja

Random comments being quoted. Come on... there's no need for that. We have enough rumours floating around as is. Let's wait for more comments from verified sources!

I hope some info comes out about PS4 functions being borked so we can have an anti-Sony thread. I think some people need it to stay sane.
We already have insiders saying PSN have some connection issues.

There you go have fun.

Another comment from the blog post.

*ACTUAL* MSoft XBO OS Dev
on October 28, 2013 at 3:52 am

I don’t know who the hell that last guy was, but I’m an actual Xbox dev. Shit is flying here and nothing is ready. XBL crashes like crazy, snap feature may not make it for launch, and smartglass is not even close to being cooked. I’m going to have to come in on the weekends for the next year with the way things are going. Thing is I was here when the Xbox 360 launched, and man that was a vision and a product that we had faith in. It was beautiful. Kinect had it’s detractors, but it rejuvinated the Xbox brand in a whole new way. And now this is all going to shit. There is no vision for XB1, just a lot of meddling from the higher ups and no clear goals other than TV TV TV. Most of this won’t be fixed at launch. I would quit now if I didn’t have collegues that would suffer because of it.

Also who the hell is Kevin Dent. No one has touch any retail kits here unless they’re a part of the MS team

Can't believe some people are actually debating this. It was either another troll like the first, or someone trying to prove a point that anybody can just come in pretending to be a dev on there.

ViciousDS

Banned
From another place where I post:

I'm sure there are others with a similar experience.

Yes, that gif a couple posts up.....that dude from Microsoft was cruising around from what it looked like to see if anyone pulled up the dashboard, why keep something that we are going to see constantly day in and day out a secret, maybe it truly is that unfinished.

Aaron

Because the code has been rewritten from the ground up by people who didn't do the ground work on the 360. It's like asking why DmC isn't like the previous Devil May Cry games. Same publisher, but different developers doing the work. XB1's Three OS thing already makes things complicated. It's not hard to believe there's some teething troubles there. Maybe not months worth of problems, but expect a rough launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom