• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't know people couldn't check the OS while playing the demo, MS need to do something about this news and do it fast if what Phil Spencer say is true then prove that this news is wrong (if it's wrong).

G8TnyFL.jpg

Damn, what a meltdown.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If the game is a great game, it's a great game. If it's a bad game, it's a bad game. Resolution shouldn't change that. It's almost like saying you can't enjoy yourself with an amazing game on a console if there's a pc out there that's running the game at a more impressive level. Well, apply that same logic to these two consoles. PS4 having the better version shouldn't affect anybody's enjoyment of a great game, so long as the xbox one version isn't somehow suffering from bad performance.

the reason they are using 720p instead of 1080p is because it WOULD suffer from bad performance if they upped the resolution.

Averon

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED Windows, the standard desktop OS that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their [hardware] skills, do you really think MS don’t know how to build a console OS optimized for maximizing multitasking and online features? Seriously?

=D

And yet despite all that, MS still got themselves in the position of where their software tools are lagging behind Sony's.

What bad PS4 news?

I was thinking the same thing.

Proelites an insider or a dev can't remember at the moment

Not everything is rosy on Sony's side too.

Just saying...

2014 probably would have worked out better for both companies.

Thuway is a sony insider mostly but has MS news too

The negativity for PS4 has to do with journalists blindly being told to believe the OS will work 100% on launch, PSN will work optimally, and things will go smooth as butter without any machine before hand to test out. Still, MS has a huge headache ahead of them with all the crashes, bugs, and broken features.

Sony has their own challenges and have been very coy about handing out machines with working online. Journalists are highly skeptical if PSN will work on Day 1 on PS4 since it has yet to go live.

I know it's cool to throw MS into the furnace, but Sony has their fair share of issues as well. They are just not as transparent at the moment.

That said, the fucking complexity of running THREE OPERATING SYSTEMS, snapping, and silly concurrency of apps is causing a short term nightmare.

nah, really dont think so. not play online at all...
its not like they havent done this before.....

in fact I expect that out of both consoles, ms's will be the one with the smoother working shit come day 1.
You are missing the point entirely. This rumor explicitly includes that you can't really play online at all with One--it has connection problems too often. Choose to disbelieve that if you wish, but that's the rumor. Please note that it does actually go into detail on how this might've happened despite the fact that this isn't Microsoft's first rodeo.

Pinktaco

It's funny because even if stuff like this isnt true MS keeps building up their bad reputation with the One. Sooner or later even the casuals will be picking up stuff like this

Skeff

If the game is a great game, it's a great game. If it's a bad game, it's a bad game. Resolution shouldn't change that. It's almost like saying you can't enjoy yourself with an amazing game on a console if there's a pc out there that's running the game at a more impressive level. Well, apply that same logic to these two consoles. PS4 having the better version shouldn't affect anybody's enjoyment of a great game, so long as the xbox one version isn't somehow suffering from bad performance.

So we should Buy DVD's for $20 instead of Blurays for $16?

PARANO1A

This whole saga is really embarrassing for the gaming community as a whole. Every attempt at communication ends up a pile on full of bile. Makes me just want to go on blackout until a few months after launch.

Verendus

Banned
I understand Microsoft is hiring for a Business Development Manager position in Guildford here in the UK. One of you should go help them. This seems like the perfect time to join.

Think about it. It could be you who makes all the difference. You could put this train back on the right track. You.

Yeah I don't know. It got real personal for leak territory and starting calling morts character into question (and his wife I guess) so got rather weird

I have no reason to not assume his leak has some credibility based on other leaks but will take it with a grain of salt
I'm just waiting for that other big rumour to float out now.

Surely, the time is coming. Escalation. It has to happen. Once it goes from PM to vague hints on the forum, that means someone is going to do an inevitable leak at some stage. I still foresee more negative Xbox One news and exploding threads on GAF. After that CBOAT and Bish exchange, I'm sure all 30,000 viewers are just dying of anticipation.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED Windows, the standard desktop OS that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their [hardware] skills, do you really think MS don’t know how to build a console OS optimized for maximizing multitasking and online features? Seriously?

=D

Most of the stuff you're saying is from third parties.

Ashes

Banned
A couple of general observations with this post.

1. This news comes out the day after the bad news about the PS4 (interesting timing).
2. The ignoring of the PS4 issues in Famous Mortimer posts.
3. Its a launch of new consoles and both consoles will have big issues.

Confirmation bias on your part, or maybe ignorance. Xb live issues were buried under the COD 720p news.
We had crpytic journalist tweets throwing hiss fits over something much more minor to this regarding the ps4 ( which turns out to be almost nothing concerning consumers) and an anonymous tip to DF claiming balance for XB1.

Edit:: I see no reason why phil would somehow be lying. We find out pretty damn soon regardless. If we can't use the system OS properly, we can't even start up games, suspend and resume games, or use any of the other features of the system. It's no surprise Phil Spence stopped responding to the guy. He already said all he needed to. Everything else is just crazy.

Of course it changes it, the image quality suffers because the console is upscaling a lower resolution to match the display native resolution which for a shooter is a bad thing, how can you tell what something is at distance if it is a bunch of blurry pixels?

There is also the implications for future games, if a launch title has to run at 720p just to get same performance as the competition it doesn't bode well for games that have more complex graphics engines.

assuming he was talking about the whole controlled PS4 review event?
No. In this thread we've heard that no reviewers or journalists have been able to login to PSN on the PS4 at all because the network isn't in place. It's supposedly going up next week, but such a late date is understandably making them worry about its performance, too.

Proelites an insider or a dev can't remember at the moment
Proelite works at Microsoft, though not in the Xbox division (or at least he did).

I understand Microsoft is hiring for a Business Development Manager position in Guildford here in the UK. One of you should go help them. This seems like the perfect time to join.

Think about it. It could be you who makes all the difference. You could put this train back on the right track. You.

My plan would be for them to buy Sony, shares are cheap enough. That way they will easily win this geneeation unles Wii U...

Sophia

This whole saga is really embarrassing for the gaming community as a whole. Every attempt at communication ends up a pile on full of bile. Makes me just want to go on blackout until a few months after launch.

Doesn't strike me as much worse than the usual start of a generation. We had a long previous generation, and we have one first party player on their thid console; which never ends well.. Not really surprising things are going to get crazy now, and this generation is the first time we're seeing the full effect of having instant news at our fingertips thanks to things such as Twitter.

It's actually kind of interesting to read as it brings out both the best and worst in people.

Skeff

Yes, I was just offered that job actually but it turns out I didn't know Guildford was so far down south so I had to turn it down over my fear there would not be top quality Gravy down there.

Isn't that what he said about lower resolution games on 25% more expensive hardware? I feel it's an apt analogy.

1. This news comes out the day after the bad news about the PS4 (interesting timing).

What bad news about the PS4? To be honest i don't give a shit about any of the consoles. If you're talking about the news where the whiny baby journalists aren't getting free PS4's so they can do a review and post it on Youtube and get hits and money off it i have something to tell you. That's not news.

I've come into this thread way too late - can I get a summary of everything that's happened so far here?

*Also wow at Live going from the gold standard to a potential train wreck, and following the same system as the PS3 used (which was universally thought inferior by pretty much everyone). Beyond belief some if this stuff...

TheCloser

Banned
No. In this thread we've heard that no reviewers or journalists have been able to login to PSN on the PS4 at all because the network isn't in place. It's supposedly going up next week, but such a late date is understandably making them worry about its performance, too.

Proelite works at Microsoft, though not in the Xbox division (or at least he did).
Wrong. Reviews don't have retail ps4 thus the review event. They wouldn't be able to capture any video from non dev kit ps4s. You should really get your facts straight.

didn't know people couldn't check the OS while playing the demo, MS need to do something about this news and do it fast if what Phil Spencer say is true then prove that this news is wrong (if it's wrong).

G8TnyFL.jpg

wow. That's a nightmare right there. 3 weeks from launch and that's the last thing you want happening

Tookay

So Famous Mortimer is obligated to discuss issues related to the PS4 that he has no scoops about... because why?

Balance reasons?

Sony shares are going to be affected by much more than just the success of the PlayStation, though.

But now they are cheap and if MS want to develop their business they should just go out and by the winner of the next gen:D.

Although If Sony do 6-7million by the end of 13 fiscal year I expect the shares to jump. I am looking forward ro their quarterly on the 31st

=D

OS development is still fucking hard, and it happens to even the best of companies.

Even the iPhone hit a snag during the development of its first iOS.

By the time the actual device was unveiled in San Francisco, nerves were frayed throughout the development team. The process was fraught with slammed doors, shouting matches, and exhausted engineers quitting in a huff, only to return once they had gotten a few nights' sleep.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...s-reveal-steve-jobs-first-iphone-announcement

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, I'll summon CBOAT. Excuse me.

buttroks, is time fo ur trthfact! asstormin alost, u can ovrdrive d lLegdend...is time!11111!!!

At this rate, I just want this all to be over with and for the consoles to launch. All the FUD and cryptic tweets is just exhausting. Once they're out, we'll know the truth about everything.

It's not even from a sport perspective, as it's not really about picking sides. If you're spending upwards of half a grand on this kind of thing, you want to be pretty confident in your investment.

Aren't those posts made after Mort's leak?

The poster stated that this information is being leaked to counter some prior bad PS4 news.

Yes after mort's leak

I'm tired very tired but trying to be helpful as I'd love to keep to a more structured discussion if possible

So tickling is referring to bad news for PS4 released by famousmortimer?

None of his posts in the thread detail as much from what I can see

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=8103802

And the original blog post doesn't have any bad PS4 news I thought either

where have i said that?

i'm talking about all of these issues that fans gotta deal with just to play games, when really the only thing that is going to actually affect them for the long haul is the 720p issue.

it won't make it less fun, but it will remove the value of owning the console they spent money on to play those exclusives. especially when it was touted to be (and expected to be) a superior product to something released almost 10 years ago.

If you want to play the xbox exclusives do you really have a choice? Who knows how many hoops xbox one players will have to go through to play the games they want at launch, but at the end of the day what matters is games. I hate the ps3 controller and hate how slow the ps3 interface is but with games like The Last of Us and Uncharted it's ultimately worth going through the trouble.

What bad news?

maomao

Banned
I don't see MS has any way of proving things will work just fine at launch. They could show any internal videos of people playing multiplayer games and doing whatever flawlessly. But when millions of gamers start their xbone and ps4, it will be a jungle out there.

I will be shocked if either ps4 and xbone is flawless with all the functions online on day one. It will be a glitch-fest for both consoles this year for sure. I don't need any insider to tell me that.

I'm just waiting for that other big rumour to float out now.

Surely, the time is coming. Escalation. It has to happen. Once it goes from PM to vague hints on the forum, that means someone is going to do an inevitable leak at some stage. I still foresee more negative Xbox One news and exploding threads on GAF. After that CBOAT and Bish exchange, I'm sure all 30,000 viewers are just dying of anticipation.

First confirmation mort's leak is not the ass storm?

DAMN

Adding you to my massive thread summary btw, hope you don't mind

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87786946&highlight=#post87786946

Dead Man

So Famous Mortimer is obligated to discuss issues related to the PS4 that he has no scoops about... because why?

Balance reasons?
Apparently people should make shit up just so they can be equal opportunity leakers.

Nah, it's mostly embarrassing for the companies involved. People will be people, but withholding information is always a losing proposition. If you don't tell people what is actually happening, they make shit up. No way to stop that, or reason to expect it to ever not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom