• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have to come down from my very high horse before I could step away from the keyboard. I like who I am.

I thought you knew mort better than that? Are you saying that before this thread you didn't know he was the one who started the PS4 drm campaign?

Or were you joking? It's hard to tell with you sometimes :p
All the time

Mitark

didn't know people couldn't check the OS while playing the demo, MS need to do something about this news and do it fast if what Phil Spencer say is true then prove that this news is wrong (if it's wrong).

G8TnyFL.jpg

Skeff

The original article he debunked stated it as if it was most likely a world-wide delay.

He was probably laughing at that, the worry that the Xbox One would have a worldwide 2014 delay, and not just Europe.

He was aware of the 8 out of 21 delayed rumor as well, he just chose which story to respond directly to, to give the implication all was well, it's the exact same strategy.

Pity is the word I'd use if anything.

I've learnt through this thread that famousmortimer is the same person who started the NoDRM campaign with GAF, but since then apparently he's been too occupied with internet 'cred' and comparing himself to other insiders, and is likely still emotionally unstable from the events that befell him a while back (thank you not so anonymous PM).

Really? Mort is a good guy. It wasn't an anonymous PM. He posted it here. In detail. That's just uncalled for. He's not running for elected office FFS. He had a family member who died. I'm finding it really hard to restrain my comments here, so I will agree to disagree. You really want to bring it into console wars bullshit? A family member's death?What the fuck is wrong with you? Shit, this is really House of Cards.

Reading his posts in this thread, and also the little essay via PM (thank you anonymous) about him, then seeing folks throw personal insults at someone who probably should have stepped away from his keyboard a while back, all the while this cycle of leaking and feeding off the leaks continues, is kind of sad.

Stepping away from my joke character for just a brief moment, pity is the word I'd use to describe this entire situation.

I feel sad for you. Really.

Verendus

Banned
I thought you knew mort better than that? Are you saying that before this thread you didn't know he was the one who started the PS4 drm campaign?

Or were you joking? It's hard to tell with you sometimes :p
All the time
I don't really pay that much attention. Hence why my first post in this thread is finding it hilarious that I was perceiving a meltdown from his posts, before someone PM'd me and let me know what's happening with him.

Thread went from hilarious to a bit awkward at that stage.

Edit:
Really? Mort is a good guy. It wasn't an anonymous PM. He posted it here. In detail. That's just uncalled for. He's not running for elected office FFS. He had a family member who died. I'm finding it really hard to restrain my comments here, so I will agree to disagree. You really want to bring it into console wars bullshit? A family member's death?What the fuck is wrong with you? Shit, this is really House of Cards.

I'll be honest, I have a hard time comprehending this post. But somewhere, deep inside this heart of mine, I hope you have a violin in your hand and are playing it for me as you sign off on this post. Alternatively, Steve Buscemi gif would suffice too.

p3tran

Banned
No, the worst case scenario is that you won't be able to really play online at all for One. The problems are not just with chat--invites, friend requests, and connecting to Live have all been mentioned as buggy and failing.

And the truly worst case scenario is that you won't be able to use PS4 online either. No one outside Sony (including journalists) has seen PSN work at all.
nah, really dont think so. not play online at all...
its not like they havent done this before.....

in fact I expect that out of both consoles, ms's will be the one with the smoother working shit come day 1.

worstest-worstest case scenario? for a while we will use the 360 for chat while playing other machines, something that at least for me and my usual friends was not something uncommon last gen...

Mung

Kind of puts 'no custom wallpapers at launch' into perspective.

But I agree with what others have said. You are taking a big risk becoming a high profile leaker Famous.

I cancelled my Xbox One order and picked up a Wii U instead. However, I was still thinking of maybe getting one to be part of the launch day excitement. Threads like this, though, make me not sure sure that's a good idea.

I was beginning to feel like i was seeing something that wasn't there, thanks for speaking up.

Copenap

Oh man, that's rough...

At least MS didn't lie this time, "Beta tested in the future", starting 11/22.

I guess we'll only gonna see the whole drama when release day is finally here.

GAF wasn't as populated back then as it is today, so you have a higher signal to noise ratio going on as a result. But yes, it was kinda like this back in threads I read in 05-06. There's a nice thread about the Wiimote reveal, for example, which is somewhat comparable to the threads you see now.

I just clicked on that.

Post #6 in that thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1935884&postcount=6

"Ok, what the hell is that? :lol You better not have to play games with that thing."

I just died.

"Controller acts like a mouse in real-space 3D. Pefect for FPS games!"

*shudder*

OK, back to the present.

I don't really pay that much attention. Hence why my first post in this thread is finding it hilarious that I was perceiving a meltdown from his posts, before someone PM'd me and let me know what's happening with him.

Thread went from hilarious to a bit awkward at that stage.

Yeah I don't know. It got real personal for leak territory and starting calling morts character into question (and his wife I guess) so got rather weird

I have no reason to not assume his leak has some credibility based on other leaks but will take it with a grain of salt

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I saw worse. Some even said he prefers 720p over 1080p.... seriously man.

If all of those happen to be on Sony camp, I can't imagine what the reaction would be.

I am sure there would be people who would react in the same manner. If anything this last year has shown that there is a fair share of crazies in the Sony camp aswell.

I have never owned a Xbox console and probably won't get the XBO either. But imo people getting off on MS misfortunes and actively rooting for XBO to fail are really pathetic. If I learned one thing thru out the years playing on my Playstations is that a supreme leading Sony is a very bad thing, they would fuck you over as hard as MS would if they would get the chance.

kaiyo

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED Windows, the standard desktop OS that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their [hardware] skills, do you really think MS don’t know how to build a console OS optimized for maximizing multitasking and online features? Seriously?

=D

Oh man, that's rough...

At least MS didn't lie this time, "Beta tested in the future", starting 11/22.

I guess we'll only gonna see the whole drama when release day is finally here.

If things are (still?) broken come launch I could see that being one of the 'memories of the generation.'

tickling

Banned
A couple of general observations with this post.

1. This news comes out the day after the bad news about the PS4 (interesting timing).
2. The ignoring of the PS4 issues in Famous Mortimer posts.
3. Its a launch of new consoles and both consoles will have big issues.

it still affects the visual fidelity of the game...

I get that, I'm not defending either side. I'm just saying if there is a great 720p game on Xbone and a shotty game on PS4 in 1080p, an xbox fan should play that exclusive he wants. Just cuz it's 720p isn't gonna make it less fun.

Feorax

Don't see what's so funny about his comments, just takes a quick look around here to see the man's got a point.

True, but there's a deep irony in the fact that there are a huge number of journalists who have been quite happy to shit on the hobby by ignoring, or even defending Microsofts shitty practices and fuckups over the past year or so.

I really really should be going to be right about now, and by that I mean 2 hours ago

Ugh what to do?

Rather not miss a cboat post if he appears

Kind of puts 'no custom wallpapers at launch' into perspective.

But I agree with what others have said. You are taking a big risk becoming a high profile leaker Famous.

well it's not just wallpapers, low power resume isn't available at launch either and I very much doubt the PS4's online services will launch without a major hitch or two next month

it' might mot be as bad as the XB1 but it also ain't rainbows and lollipops

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
So they should just not play the game at all then?

where have i said that?

i'm talking about all of these issues that fans gotta deal with just to play games, when really the only thing that is going to actually affect them for the long haul is the 720p issue.

I get that, I'm not defending either side. I'm just saying if there is a great 720p game on Xbone and a shotty game on PS4 in 1080p, an xbox fan should play that exclusive he wants. Just cuz it's 720p isn't gonna make it less fun.

it won't make it less fun, but it will remove the value of owning the console they spent money on to play those exclusives. especially when it was touted to be (and expected to be) a superior product to something released almost 10 years ago.

RedAssedApe

Banned

1. This news comes out the day after the bad news about the PS4 (interesting timing).

Not really general observations as its pretty clear what you are implying.

Mort wasn't the first one to post about this. proelite, cboat, bish all made comments prior to this thread that hinted at a possible OS issue.

darkwing

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED Windows, the standard desktop OS that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their [hardware] skills, do you really think MS don’t know how to build a console OS optimized for maximizing multitasking and online features? Seriously?

=D

you forgot they created directx

spats

=D

Things aren't always that simple and straightforward.

What bad PS4 news?

What if they are the same game?

If the game is a great game, it's a great game. If it's a bad game, it's a bad game. Resolution shouldn't change that. It's almost like saying you can't enjoy yourself with an amazing game on a console if there's a pc out there that's running the game at a more impressive level. Well, apply that same logic to these two consoles. PS4 having the better version shouldn't affect anybody's enjoyment of a great game, so long as the xbox one version isn't somehow suffering from bad performance.

Edit:: I see no reason why phil would somehow be lying. We find out pretty damn soon regardless. If we can't use the system OS properly, we can't even start up games, suspend and resume games, or use any of the other features of the system. It's no surprise Phil Spence stopped responding to the guy. He already said all he needed to. Everything else is just crazy.

I expected the same out of Windows ME and Vista.

Fair enough, it is hard to believe how big and bloated gaming OS are these days, especially everything MS want the xbox to be.

I dont like MS, but I have faith that if anything is wrong it will be near working condition come launch.

=D

They invented DirectX too.

SRTtoZ

=D

You're adorable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom