• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 (PS4) God Rays Removed in Latest Patch (Why Ubi??)

psychotron

Just to be clear, I'm not implying this was done intentionally by Ubisoft, even stating that it could be a glitch. I just want attention brought to the matter so it can hopefully be ironed out.

mocoworm

Just to be clear, I'm not implying this was done intentionally by Ubisoft, even stating that it could be a glitch. I just want attention brought to the matter so it can hopefully be ironed out.

Well look what you have started now .... I hope you can live with the 60 pages of what's to come.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Atheists ruin everything.

bZWGhrK.gif

Honest to god reaction to this post.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Wait are you.... Defending Unity?!?! I bet you eat what ever people give you and love it. I'm pretty sure previous trailers prove Ubi did exactly that.
I'd rather not spam the thread with images from the graphical leap thread and the pc performance thread. Or the first video preview of the xb1 version that looks exactly like the final version does.

Kade

Wait are you.... Defending Unity?!?! I bet you eat what ever people give you and love it. I'm pretty sure previous trailers prove Ubi did exactly that.

Ignoring the quality of AC: Unity and Crossing Eden's love for Ubisoft, the post-patch lighting issue was proven to be a bug rather than Ubisoft removing anything.

I'd rather not spam the thread with images from the graphical leap thread and the pc performance thread. Or the first video preview of the xb1 version that looks exactly like the final version does.
Im still nto sure why you posted that it was debunked as a reaction to the joke.

The entire joke was that Ubisoft told an intern to downgrade unity but he INSTEAD downgraded farcry 4. According to the joke itself Unity was not downgraded

FeiRR

Banned
God rays is a very simple effect. No reason to remove it from a smoothly running game like FC4.

Kade

Lol so you believe them? That's like ..... Sigh. Whatever.

I don't believe Ubisoft. I believe the GAFfers that posted actual screenshots demonstrating that it was a streaming issue. I mean, it's good to be skeptical about things, especially Ubisoft after this past year but come on, don't let it blind you from facts.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Im still nto sure why you posted that it was debunked as a reaction to the joke.

The entire joke was that Ubisoft told an intern to downgrade unity but he INSTEAD downgraded farcry 4. According to the joke itself Unity was not downgraded
I understood the joke perfectly fine. Although my post could've been less irate.

Cornbread78

Wait, so was this really a parity patch, like legt, the effect was in the PS4 version, but not the XB1, so they removed it from the PS4 version?

I don't believe Ubisoft. I believe the GAFfers that posted actual screenshots demonstrating that it was a streaming issue. I mean, it's good to be skeptical about things, especially Ubisoft after this past year but come on, don't let it blind you from facts.

So let's say I never saw the videos or screens. Is my skepticism warranted then? Didn't want to start a flame war I was just surprised to see someone "defending" Ubi. My bad.

Automatically dismissing perfectly plausible and demonstrable explanations because of the current 'lol Ubisoft' trend lately isn't the best way to go about arguing this stuff.

I would much rather be skeptical than gullible. Also there wouldn't be the "lol ubisoft" trend if Ubi wasn't so shady about what they put out.

geordiemp

So does anybody know when they are patching god rays back in ?

Any acknowledgement from ubi ?

Its the one ubi game this winter that I will probably buy

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I tweeted the tech director about this last night. No response but I'll keep on trying.

If you do tweet about it, be polite and please don't insult those involved. This is likely a bug, nothing more and I just want to bring it to their attention.

Seanspeed

Banned
I would much rather be skeptical than gullible. Also there wouldn't be the "lol ubisoft" trend if Ubi wasn't so shady about what they put out.
You're not being sceptical, you're straight up just assuming they are lying because of 'lol Ubisoft', even in a situation where they are almost definitely telling the truth. Its like for some of you, anything short of pure villainization of Ubisoft is unacceptable.

The latest patch for Far Cry 4 has apparently removed the beautiful God Rays from the game and left us with something far less appealing. It was first brought up in the analysis by NX Gamer below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nKuA3dVhhc&list=UU7Jo0VTzeyYbZ8cVk3k-EhA

Further evidence is pointed out by Rebel Leader in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb09dUEaR9M&feature=youtu.be

At this point I can't help but wonder why they would remove something like this when the game was running at a near perfect 30fps most of the time. Hopefully it's just a glitch in the patch.

Can someone time-stamp the comparisons in the video so I can quickly look while I am at work?

Bricky

God rays is a very simple effect. No reason to remove it from a smoothly running game like FC4.

Depends on what kind of god rays they are. In fact, the good ones are often quite GPU intensive for such a simple graphical detail. I remember the god rays in AC4: Black Flag for PC having a small performance hit at their highest setting for example. That is probably the reason they were only in the PS4 (and PC) version in the first place in Far Cry 4.

Anyway, this thread is getting ridiculous. I'll eat my hood if this has anything to do with parity.

what are "god" rays?

Depends on what kind of god rays they are. In fact, the good ones are often quite GPU intensive for such a simple graphical detail. I remember the god rays in AC4: Black Flag for PC having a small performance hit at their highest setting for example. That is probably the reason they were only in the PS4 (and PC) version in the first place in Far Cry 4.

Anyway, this thread is getting ridiculous. I'll eat my hood if this has anything to do with parity.

what are "god" rays?

You're not being sceptical, you're straight up just assuming they are lying because of 'lol Ubisoft', even in a situation where they are almost definitely telling the truth. Its like for some of you, anything short of pure villainization of Ubisoft is unacceptable.

Mmm k. They did the damage to themselves. They passed it on to the unsuspecting gamers some ate it up some didn't. I guess you did and I didn't. To each his own. I had been weary of Ubi now I flat out don't trust them. If that makes ME a bad consumer so be it. If I get flamed by you for it, so be it.

Also I loved how you wrote, "they are almost definitely telling the truth." Ur a funny dude.

GavinUK86

Like others have already said, it's probably a bug but if it isn't then no fucks were given by me. I hate godrays. Usually turn that and bloom off on PC games anyway. I don't want to be blinded while playing a game thanks.

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that it's an extremely fun game.

Top Bottom