• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 (PS4) God Rays Removed in Latest Patch (Why Ubi??)

it seems like when ever these game companies fuck up, they continue to have a long string of disappointing events. EA went through it, MS went through it last year, and now Ubi seems to be right in the middle of a shit show now.

RPGam3r

Downgrading the game post launch when it's unnecessary makes me feel it's not worth 60 bucks either. I can give a far more deserving developer that kind of big money.

You don't even know why. This could just be a bug, because those are common even when patches are intended to fix things.

The anti-Ubisoft sentiment here is hard to understand to be honest.

it seems like when ever these game companies fuck up, they continue to have a long string of disappointing events. EA went through it, MS went through it last year, and now Ubi seems to be right in the middle of a shit show now.

I find each issue (even the small ones) gets blown out of proportion when something big goes down, so it looks worse than it really should be.

SJRB

Gold Member
There's no way this is done deliberately.

Ubisoft, what the fuck are you guys doing? Wake the fuck up!

J-Tier

I doubt this was intentional. They'll probably scramble to fix it considering the big deal that people are making of it. I wouldn't worry about it being a permanent thing.

Teletraan1

Banned
But if godrays as an Nvidia exclusive thing is in a contract, is it possible they'd have to remove any form of godrays from a console version?

If god rays, no matter the implementation are to be held as some sort of exclusive deal in a contract then they should just burn the studio and burn the entire industry down to the fucking ground because they have gone too far.

I would just like them to fix co-op.

Gave my friends some Kyrat Keys and none of them can play with me :(

Yeah me too! Godammit Ubi fix the Keys to Kyrat!

On topic, FarCry is a fantastic game but the removal of God Rays leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm proceeding with caution for EVERY Ubi title onwards thanks to all their recent shenanigans

Also everyone check out NX. The guys videos are awesome

Chobel

But if godrays as an Nvidia exclusive thing is in a contract, is it possible they'd have to remove any form of godrays from a console version?

It's not exclusive to Nvidia though, people with AMD cards (the main competitor of Nvidia) also have this "god rays" feature, funnily enough it's called "Nvidia god rays".

Personally I think it's just a bug.

Kezen

Banned
It's not exclusive to Nvidea though, people with AMD cards (the main competitor of Nvidia) also have this "god rays" feature, funnily enough it's called "Nvidia god rays".
Because this a state of the art Nvidia implementation, it's not your typical god rays.
https://developer.nvidia.com/content/terrain-godrays-better-use-dx11-tessellation
Hence the term "Nvidia enhanced" god rays which is totally appropriate.
Some tech info by Nvidia :
Innovatively rendered with DirectX 11 tessellation, NVIDIA Godrays improve upon existing solutions by reducing the performance impact by up to 4x, by eliminating aliasing (tessellated Godrays can be anti-aliased like any other game element), by accurately reacting to any game elements that intersect with a Godray, by being cast through the smallest of spaces if an artist or designer desires, and by being visible even when a light source is out of view or behind the player.

For Far Cry 4 we've updated our Godays, implemented their full range of abilities into the game, and integrated them tightly with the game's other graphical effects, emphasizing the bright sunlight of the Himalayas, and the appearance of light at high altitudes.
Existing as a 'real' entity, as opposed to a post-process effect, the appearance of tessellated NVIDIA Godrays can be manipulated by objects in the scene. For instance, as the tree, branches and leaves sway in the wind, the darkened voids and bright rays adjust in real time, following the exact movement of the aforementioned items.

It does indeed run on AMD gpus but the performance hit is bigger (because of tessellation).
1416562151m24RGeeAUx_4_3_l.gif

Chobel

ypo

For instance, as the tree, branches and leaves sway in the wind, the darkened voids and bright rays adjust in real time, following the exact movement of the aforementioned items.

Don't know what exactly tessellated godray looks like but this is exactly how the PS4 version was pre-patch.

It's not exclusive to Nvidia though, people with AMD cards (the main competitor of Nvidia) also have this "god rays" feature, funnily enough it's called "Nvidia god rays".

Ah, OK. I agree this is probably a bug, then.

Flarin

If it's to prevent the game from doing this then that's probably okay.
This happened to me while climbing a tower on PS4. Looked like God was dumping a bucket of paint on the game.

FC4_zps424237c2.jpg

You don't even know why. This could just be a bug, because those are common even when patches are intended to fix things.

This is how I feel. Have they responded at all? Sounds to me light a oversight when patching.

Radec

heh.. I'm not gonna update my game and finish it while it is still in its best shape.

Then resell it.

Fuck off Ubisoft.

Really? Don't you think they've earned the ridicule?

Could be a bug, could be Ubi Being Ubi. I'd not be surprised if it was removed for parity, such is the level Ubi have sunk to recently. I'm not saying it has been, just that given how they've been recently....

If it's a bug, you'd expect Ubi to release some PR about it pretty sharpish.

LAA

wtf?! Seriously? Great. Havent had time to play Far Cry 4 much, probably already updated now too since it auto updates games on PC.
What the hell is this? A patch to make the game intentionally worse?

OK fine, lesson learned Ubisoft. If this wasn't an accident, Pre owned is the way to go for all your games, if I'm interested in any.

drotahorror

Sort of like how all those physx features can still be ran on an AMD card on PC games that feature it. It's just really intensive.

But, very lame if Nvidia did in fact order them to be removed from the console versions. Nvidia is just lame all around with some of their special features. Like the Ubisoft of GPU's.

No wonder Nvidia and Ubisoft are always in bed with each other. They both make bad decisions that affect consumers.

I still think the missing tree animation in GTA5 is a bigger deal, considering last gen had it. Fix that shit Rockstar!

I am in love with god rays ever since Crysis 1 though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sort of like how all those physx features can still be ran on an AMD card on PC games that feature it. It's just really intensive.

But, very lame if Nvidia did in fact order them to be removed from the console versions. Nvidia is just lame all around with some of their special features. Like the Ubisoft of GPU's.

No wonder Nvidia and Ubisoft are always in bed with each other. They both make bad decisions that affect consumers.
It's not Nvidia, this has literally nothing to do with the Nvidia God Rays.

Hugstable

Banned
I still think the missing tree animation in GTA5 is a bigger deal, considering last gen had it. Fix that shit Rockstar!

I am in love with god rays ever since Crysis 1 though.

Tree Animation wasn't in GTAV Next-Gen and then Patched out, it was just missing in the first place. The God-Ray effects was legit in the game atleast when I played through it.

And this is something truly sad to see for me, as those God-Ray effects were pretty neat to see while playing through the game. I loved this game so much and got my 3rd Platinum trophy ever playing FC4, but that's shady for them to just remove a feature like that and new players will never get to experience it in the same way that I did. I'm mostly confused as to why it was patched out? Was it a mistake or intentional? I feel like it might be a bug or mistake, the game was running at what felt like a smooth locked 30FPS to me at all times, I don't see why it would need to be taken out. It just makes no sense at all to me.

Then I'll buy the game when they fix the bug. If not I'll wait for it to be less than $20.

Just buy the game used if you don't wanna support Ubi, I can't recommend Far Cry 4 enough to anyone who even has a passing interest in the game or genre. It's just so well done and amazing. It sucks incredibly that the God Rays are out and it's super sketchy of Ubisoft if they did this intentionally, but I wouldn't miss out on the game because of it. It's legit good.

Seanspeed

Banned
Except that we know exactly why Ubisoft sought parity across the systems:

Simply chalking it up to the game being a "technical mess" is disingenuous when the game's senior producer gave the actual reason in a moment of candor.

That being said, I think the issue laid out in this thread is most likely the result of a bug, but I would certainly not criticize those who are skeptical of Ubisoft's practices given their history.
I have no problems with scepticism. I have problems with people who insist that anything they say is a lie just because of 'lol Ubisoft'.

And yea, that's what they said about the parity with Unity, but it really doesn't take a genius to look at the PC version and see the problems there as well, making it quite likely that *at the very least*, there is no need to consider a 'MS paid for this' angle whatsoever.

Even if there was, how ridiculous would it be that Microsoft, *post release*, after most of the initial marketing and sales are done with, would pay money to Ubisoft to get rid of a god damn graphical effect?

You've gotta be a hardcore conspiracy theorist, not simply a sceptical person, to believe all that.

-griffy-

Banned
I call it volumetric light.

Sunbream sounds stupid.

In most cases though the effect isn't volumetric at all, it's just a faked screenspace effect obscuring the light and creating "rays" only based on objects between the light source and your viewpoint. So calling it volumetric would be misleading and should be reserved for true volumetric lighting effects.

NBtoaster

Really? Don't you think they've earned the ridicule?

Could be a bug, could be Ubi Being Ubi. I'd not be surprised if it was removed for parity, such is the level Ubi have sunk to recently. I'm not saying it has been, just that given how they've been recently....

If it's a bug, you'd expect Ubi to release some PR about it pretty sharpish.

Parity with what? All versions had godrays.

It's obviously a mistake, thinking anything else is just conspiracy garbage.

Kezen

Banned
Don't know what exactly tessellated godray looks like but this is exactly how the PS4 version was pre-patch.

Nope, for better or worse depending on your preferences.

Parity with what? All versions had godrays.
It's obviously a mistake, thinking anything else is just conspiracy garbage.
Sadly too many people fall into the conspiracy BS. It's most likely a bug of some sort.

In most cases though the effect isn't volumetric at all, it's just a faked screenspace effect obscuring the light and creating "rays" only based on objects between the light source and your viewpoint. So calling it volumetric would be misleading and should be reserved for true volumetric lighting effects.
I am aware.

It's just ingrained in my mind because I work with actual volume lights in my work and they achieve a similar effect.

Top Bottom