• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 (PS4) God Rays Removed in Latest Patch (Why Ubi??)

Cornbread78

This isn't a big deal.

Ultimately, it's all about:

logos51.jpg

Not you, but some need to take off the console war goggles and see what the real issue is with this, if, I mean, if this is a result of a "parity" request from MS....

omonimo

Banned
Is that sure have been removed? I remember someone here said console versions lack completely godray from the beginning. I'm sure of this.

DryvBy

Uh, what? I really am about to just say screw all of Ubisoft's games at this point. Patching out graphical features for no reason? Glad I took plenty of screens of the beautiful version of this game.

What kind of Twilight Zone gaming universe is this?

Seanspeed

Banned
Mmm k. They did the damage to themselves. They passed it on to the unsuspecting gamers some ate it up some didn't. I guess you did and I didn't. To each his own. I had been weary of Ubi now I flat out don't trust them. If that makes ME a bad consumer so be it. If I get flamed by you for it, so be it.

Also I loved how you wrote, "they are almost definitely telling the truth." Ur a funny dude.
How is that funny? Its been demonstrated. By gamers.

I haven't 'eaten up' anything. I can think for myself and don't see everything in black and white where people(or companies) can only tell the truth 100% of the time or lie 100% of the time.

You're not a bad consumer, just one that isn't terribly likely to come up with any interesting arguments of their own.

I don't see how you could accidentally patch or bug out a feature like god rays, and if it was an accident I would say said individuals writing the patch are incompetent. I'll try not to demonize Ubi too much for now, but the precedent exists to certainly get on the Ubi hate train at this point.

How is that funny? Its been demonstrated. By gamers.

I haven't 'eaten up' anything. I can think for myself and don't see everything in black and white where people(or companies) can only tell the truth 100% of the time or lie 100% of the time.

You're not a bad consumer, just one that isn't terribly likely to come up with any interesting arguments of their own.

K. You didn't get it. I'm done.

It's disrespectful, but people that keeps buying Ubisoft games, even after so many controversy and problems, should be expecting something like that already.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ultimately, it's all about:

logos51.jpg

Not you, but some need to take off the console war goggles and see what the real issue is with this, if, I mean, if this is a result of a "parity" request from MS....
Not only did Ubisoft had a partnership with Sony for this game, but it also looks better on ps4 since it's full 1080p while the xb1 version is not. Not only that, but the advanced godrays were an nvidia thing, how would Microsoft request parity?

Jacob4815

No excuse for this...

If It's a glitch, they should say something and fix it ASAP...
If they will ignore the thing, they will deserve a new stormshit.

Magwik

Banned
Hey look we have no confirmation and only speculation on what happened so let's jump to conclusions about parity and shit.

DryvBy

It's disrespectful, but people that keeps buying Ubisoft games, even after so many controversy and problems, should be expecting something like that already.

This is different. You went into purchasing this game because you saw with your own eyes how good it looked. Then they patch it out. So they got your money THEN screwed you with a patch.

I know this sounds very minor to some, but it really adds to the realism of the graphics in this game. The trees having lights shoot through the trees like they did was just a nice touch.

I just called Steam and said:

me - "give me my fucking money back because even though the PC version still has god rays I simply refuse to enjoy it considering the latest patch removed a graphical feature on the PS4, and while reasons for this change are purely in the realm of speculation, God knows that without God Rays the game is certainly Satan reincarnate... especially when you factor in the deduct associated with anything Ubi"

operator - "no, sorry, we don't give refunds for those reasons"

me - "but seriously, there is a thread on GAF, and it said this was a big deal. Also, haven't you heard, Ubisoft is in league with the devil."

operator - "wut m8"

me - "god damnit, pay attention to me, i'm having a temper tantrum"

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I just called Steam and said:

me - "give me my fucking money back because even though the PC version still has god rays I simply refuse to enjoy it considering the latest patch removed a graphical feature on the PS4, and while reasons for this change are purely in the realm of speculation, God knows that without God Rays the game is certainly Satan reincarnate... especially when you factor in the deduct associated with anything Ubi"

operator - "no, sorry, we don't give refunds for those reasons"

me - "but seriously, there is a thread on GAF, and it said this was a big deal. Also, haven't you heard, Ubisoft is in league with the devil."

operator - "wut m8"

me - "god damnit, pay attention to me, i'm having a temper tantrum"
I'm sure this was funnier in your head.

This is different. You went into purchasing this game because you saw with your own eyes how good it looked. Then they patch it out. So they got your money THEN screwed you with a patch.

I know this sounds very minor to some, but it really adds to the realism of the graphics in this game. The trees having lights shoot through the trees like they did was just a nice touch.
I agree with you a 100% mate.
The thing is: Ubisoft proved more than once that they don't deserve to be trusted, but people keeps buying their games, and that's what you got.

It's time to realise this is Ubisoft.

Seanspeed

Banned
Not only did Ubisoft had a partnership with Sony for this game, but it also looks better on ps4 since it's full 1080p while the xb1 version is not. Not only that, but the advanced godrays were an nvidia thing, how would Microsoft request parity?
Because some people still believe Unity's 'parity' was a result of Microsoft paying Ubisoft rather than Unity just being a technical mess. And now they think that Microsoft might be paying Ubisoft to patch out god rays in Far Cry post-release to gain some parity.

If that sounds insane to you, good on you, cuz it is. If it all sounds plausible, then well, lets hope the aliens don't get you tonight.

Cornbread78

Seriously, that is the question. After Unity, why wouldn't it be questioned though? Ubi took a huge hit with gamers that are now going to question their motives/integrity with every game, fair or not fair, that is the way it is going to be for awhile now, regardless, because they open stated they were using Parity between the console versions.

Woffls

I can't understand people not wanting to buy this game because god rays are not in it, but I can certainly understand people not wanting to buy this game because a feature was removed from it by a mandatory update. Responding positively sets a very bad precedent, and it doesn't matter one bit whether it was deliberate or not.

Cuyejo

wow, never heard about this guy before, his framerate analysis put Digital Foundry to shame. Finally some worthy alternative.

Valnen

I can't understand people not wanting to buy this game because god rays are not in it, but I can certainly understand people not wanting to buy this game because a feature was removed from it by a mandatory update. Responding positively sets a very bad precedent, and it doesn't matter one bit whether it was deliberate or not.

Yeah, this should definitely be more about the fact that it was unnecessarily downgraded at all, not the specific thing that got downgraded.

Majanew

Banned
Ok, thought I was imagining godrays when I first started playing the game, lol. Good job, Ubisoft. You're amazing.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Because some people still believe Unity's 'parity' was a result of Microsoft paying Ubisoft rather than Unity just being a technical mess.
Except that we know exactly why Ubisoft sought parity across the systems:

Senior Producer Vincent Pontbriand said:
We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff.

Simply chalking it up to the game being a "technical mess" is disingenuous when the game's senior producer gave the actual reason in a moment of candor.

That being said, I think the issue laid out in this thread is most likely the result of a bug, but I would certainly not criticize those who are skeptical of Ubisoft's practices given their history.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Did the DF Face off address the disparity of Godrays between the consoles, I don't recall seeing it.

are there patch notes that describes this as a feature of the patch?

perhaps there is some kind of glitch or bug they fixed that is only apparent on rare conditions?

very weird regardless, game seemed to run great pre-patch on PS4

Just because games use PhysX on consoles or use some form of HBAO doesn't mean that they get those features completely removed due to nVidia cards offering the option for higher precision versions.

But if godrays as an Nvidia exclusive thing is in a contract, is it possible they'd have to remove any form of godrays from a console version?

Top Bottom