• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 (PS4) God Rays Removed in Latest Patch (Why Ubi??)

rape analogy are always appreciated.
thanks for confirming my doubt as to what kind of person you are.
I wasn't implying rape, so get off your little soapbox.
Edit: However, since it can potentially be interpreted that way I'll edit. Apologies if I caused any offense.
Double edit: Either way, Ubisoft haven't exactly been covering themselves in glory recently so I won't give them any money. If you somehow find that stance amusing, that probably says quite a lot about the person you are.

ttech10

I amazed how many people don't care that something that worked fine in a game and didn't cause performance issues was taken out for seemingly no reason.

I wish consoles had the ability to select which patch you want to upgrade to. I don't have this game so I'd be forced to either play with game with zero patches or use the one that removes a very welcome graphical feature.

jimi_dini

i4vlRRg.jpg

v0mitg0d

Quick question:

Has anyone played this on Hard? Some people are saying it's unfair and way too difficult? I am curious but dont want to go 30 hours in and regret it.

psychotron

Received this from Ubisoft today.....

Support Dec 04, 2014 at 05:38 PM EST
Thank you for contacting us.

Your feedback will be escalated up to the development team.

We very much appreciate your passion for our games and hope that you continue to enjoy them.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

You wrote Dec 04, 2014 at 11:15 AM EST
The latest patch for Far Cry on PS4 removed the God Rays. The game was running just fine before the patch so their removal couldn't have been performance related. Many gaming sites are reporting this. Please visit the thread on neogaf. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=943591

TEH-CJ

Banned
Received this from Ubisoft today.....

Support Dec 04, 2014 at 05:38 PM EST
Thank you for contacting us.

Your feedback will be escalated up to the development team.

We very much appreciate your passion for our games and hope that you continue to enjoy them.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

You wrote Dec 04, 2014 at 11:15 AM EST
The latest patch for Far Cry on PS4 removed the God Rays. The game was running just fine before the patch so their removal couldn't have been performance related. Many gaming sites are reporting this. Please visit the thread on neogaf. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=943591

Interesting..

I have no problems with scepticism. I have problems with people who insist that anything they say is a lie just because of 'lol Ubisoft'.

And yea, that's what they said about the parity with Unity, but it really doesn't take a genius to look at the PC version and see the problems there as well, making it quite likely that *at the very least*, there is no need to consider a 'MS paid for this' angle whatsoever.

Even if there was, how ridiculous would it be that Microsoft, *post release*, after most of the initial marketing and sales are done with, would pay money to Ubisoft to get rid of a god damn graphical effect?

You've gotta be a hardcore conspiracy theorist, not simply a sceptical person, to believe all that.
Why would they need to pay Ubi? All they need to do is exercise one of their parity clauses. MS have the final say as to whether Ubi are allowed to publish XBox games, and right now, the perception of performance parity is probably far more important to MS than a few bucks in licensing fees.

Ubi have far more to lose by failing to deliver parity than MS have to lose by insisting on it.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
It's still a good game, but that's just a baffling move.

It has to have been a mistake. Maybe the teams got confused because they had to "tweak" the Unity lighting?

Who knows. Companies blow me away. The video of Giant Bomb opening a 20th Anniversary PS4 with internal memos pointing to "sony.store.com" shocked me that no one caught that in proofing.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Why would they need to pay Ubi? All they need to do is exercise one of their parity clauses. MS have the final say as to whether Ubi are allowed to publish XBox games, and right now, the perception of performance parity is probably far more important to MS than a few bucks in licensing fees.

Ubi have far more to lose by failing to deliver parity than MS have to lose by insisting on it.
What parity clauses exactly? Besides the one that affects indies much more than it affects big publishers.

virtualS

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I really really hope this is a patch induced bug. How could you not notice their removal during testing though? Wouldn't their removal involve an explicit manipulation of the Godray code base?

If however this is a Microsoft initiative then I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

The games industry reminds me of the Wild West. Unregulated, lawless and where anything goes. I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to sell a car then remove the tyre pressure monitoring system post release without a word.

Hopefully it will be patched back soon.

It irritates me that they are even called god rays.

they don't even have the grandeur of the picture in the wikipedia page, in the case of this game or any game without proper cloud simulation, they are just sunbeams..

Leb

What parity clauses exactly? Besides the one that affects indies much more than it affects big publishers.

He'll probably dig out that solitary article from 2008 about Eye support in Endwar and then try to convince you that it's somehow relevant... but the joke's on him, since Microsoft has actually slipped several amendments concerning content parity into the long delayed but just recently passed Trade Facilitation Agreement from the Bali conference. I guess when MS says jump, the WTO hurls itself off a fucking cliff.

Yes, as Leb says, Ubi told us six years ago that MS expect them to deliver "feature parity." As such, the inclusion of the gesture controls they implemented in the PS3 version of EndWar "all depends on whether we can slip it past Microsoft." (XB360 lacked an appropriate stand for the camera.)

He'll probably dig out that solitary article from 2008 about Eye support in Endwar and then try to convince you that it's somehow relevant... but the joke's on him, since Microsoft has actually slipped several amendments concerning content parity into the long delayed but just recently passed Trade Facilitation Agreement from the Bali conference. I guess when MS says jump, the WTO hurls itself off a fucking cliff.
This seems to indicate that hasn't passed yet, and they've only just now agreed about what they're even voting on.
http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/tradfa_e/tradfa_e.htm

So, this isn't even relevant yet, but assuming it was, can you show me where it outlaws parity clauses for software? I'm on my phone, but a quick search for "parity" yielded no results.
https://docs.wto.org/dol2fe/Pages/SS/directdoc.aspx?filename=q:/WT/L/931.pdf

LAA

Jeez Ubisoft still haven't commented on this? Perhaps it's because they know whatever they have to say will piss people off regardless...

Ubisoft have fell so far it's unbelievable. EA are giving away free games, they really have become better than ubisoft at the moment.

geordiemp

Jeez Ubisoft still haven't commented on this? Perhaps it's because they know whatever they have to say will piss people off regardless...

Ubisoft have fell so far it's unbelievable. EA are giving away free games, they really have become better than ubisoft at the moment.

I bought far cry 4 - I really thought this was free from the ubishit.

My mistake - wont make that mistake again.

Was about to buy unity - think I will leave ubi games alone for a while.

See how that works out ubi.

Crayon

I'm sure a some community manager is keeping an eye on this thread.
Hoping it goes away.
Any day now.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Let's not be irrational, they could still announce something this week. Expecting anything on the weekend is not the wisest of choice's, especially with TGA's on Friday and PSX this weekend. If nothing is said by Christmas, than they can be condemned.

EGM1966

Reading latest posts seems likely me to update from Ubi on whether this was an unintentional bug introduced by patch or deliberate change.

Pity. I've held off buying for the moment not because it's a huge deal but given overall Ubi activity is folate is like to know what's hoingbpn before I consider giving them my money.

I'm a patient guy and there's no rush to buy now.

Grimsen

Yves: 'Hey, you there, intern, patch some graphical effects out of Unity to improve framerate before you go home will ya?'
Intern: 'Uhm, sure'
*Opens fc4settings.ini and deletes random lines*
Intern: 'Guess that'll do'
*Upload*

The next day:

'You had 1 job, intern!'
'Oh, I thought you said Job 1:21'

Crayon

Given the silence I'll just assume that ubi took the god rays and sold them to support their meth habit.

Top Bottom