• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female only gaming event cancelled following online harassment

MsVariant

Can we just move on, if you don't like women only events then ignore them. You aren't being excluded, there are plenty of things women don't want to go to. So let us have our own thing.

Maybe I'll start a youtube channel to start oppressing the alt-right. I mean I rather do something productive with my time, but if they're doing things like this, well hell, oppressing them is productive for everyone else.

Xadjim

Banned
Not all men in this industry harass women. Most of the harassers in this industry are men.

What is the definition of Harassment here. If you count all the 12 year olds who think its cool to tell me that they humped my mom because they lost in smash bros then its not fair. We are never going to change that most children cannot control themselves or dont know what is right and what is wrong.

clearestblue

Neo Member
Can we just move on, if you don't like women only events then ignore them. You aren't being excluded, there are plenty of things women don't want to go to. So let us have our own thing.

Can't have that, men have to included in everything ever

3e3.jpg

What is the definition of Harassment here. If you count all the 12 year olds who think its cool to tell me that they humped my mom because they lost in smash bros then its not fair. We are never going to change that most children cannot control themselves or dont know what is right and what is wrong.

What the fuck are you talking about? Not counting those 12 year olds, my point still stands.

Sai-kun

Banned

why are you so intent on insisting that all harassment comes from children? you're not a fucking woman, and you obviously don't know any that play games so you don't know shit about what women experience, especially in games. you should probably be doing more listening than talking.

It's still called harassment. Doesn't matter if you care or not it's still unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated. People have committed suicide over online harassment. Should we then sit here and debate how they " shouldn't have cared " or perhaps you'd like to talk about how they were overly sensitive
It's seemingly built into people now to care what anyone thinks of them. Why in the hell anyone care if someone calls them a derogatory term on the internet? Those people will never meet them, they don't put food on the table and are generally pathetic individuals. Why should their words matter if they don't contribute in any way to our lives?
If no one else on here has the mentality of 'fuck 'em, they don't know me', then I truly worry for the future of this world.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Strawman if I ever saw one. No, clearly harassment doesn't include kids on Xbox Live, though that is a very telling sign of how deeply ingrained sexism is in the culture.

This is a very simple but good starting point. You can see that sexism doesn't limit itself to "yo mama" jokes.

MazeHaze

Banned
We're talking about grown ass men who threatened to "dress up like trannies to get in, thatll show em!". We're talking about grown as men who make 300k a year making youtube videos to demean, slur, and arrange the harrasment of Anita Sarkessian, we're talking about grown ass men who can't play even one overwatch match with a female without telling them to get back in the kitchen. We're talking grown ass men who are the reasons that they have to put signs up at conventions that say "please don't touch the cosplayers."

This "it's just 12 year olds" nonsense is bogus, and everyone knows it.

You use male as a insult here. From here on you are not even trying anymore.

You want to tell me that no women ever tried to flirt or touch a "hot mans ass"? Hmm

Don't know what to answer you. I never disrespected or harassed anyone nor do I plan to do so.

Not by acting like we are inequal and do events for men or women only.

When people have to dispute on why this is wanted or needed, then the problem still exists. This isn't a Girls club: No Men Allowed, it's something that women don't get a chance to have. They don't get the chance to enjoy their hobby without fear of objection, unwanted sexual advances or just being themselves.

Vinneh

Banned
We're talking about grown ass men who threatened to "dress up like trannies to get in, thatll show em!". We're talking about grown as men who make 300k a year making youtube videos to demean, slur, and arrange the harrasment of Anita Sarkessian, we're talking about grown ass men who can't play even one overwatch match with a female without telling them to get back in the kitchen. We're talking grown ass men who are the reasons that they have to put signs up at conventions that say "please don't touch the cosplayers."

Lol what a moron

Vlade

You give a whole gender the burden of something only a few do?

Again, men are the true victim here? Simply because they rarely have the negative and repeated experience that is common to women, that constitutes being given the burden of not having that barrier?

I honestly have no idea what you think you are saying. As was covered earlier, having governing bodies be men only clubs is a slight to women. Having a women only event in part with the context that it is a place with barriers specific to women is only a slight to men in so far as you identify your manhood with assuring women have those barriers. I do not feel I have been given a burden, so notallmen I guess.

joecanada

hmm, why excluding males from the event? Neither do I understand why there are female only Gyms.

lack of business awareness never ceases to amaze me but this post is next level. But I'll just address the gym thing as someone familiar in fitness clubs ....

Businesses exist and succeed based on desire, need . The very existence of women's only gyms should have told you all you need to know about the subject but let me make it clear . Women will pay money to escape men's creepy behavior.

Imagine one club I trained at had a women's only section. I could actually hear men discuss how women who chose to work out in the cooed section were looking for attention or looking to mingle.

Xadjim

Banned
You call policing others and being an ally a "burden" because it's something only a few do.

Extreme example: So its my responsibilty or my burden when most murder has been done by men? Sure, you have my support in fighting inequality but not like this.

What are you going to do about it aside from telling women they need to stop hanging with themselves and need to put themselves back into hostile environments?

I dont have the right to tell anyone what they should do. I also noted several times that its not the event that angers people. Its the double standards. And to answer your question: I plan to keep treating people equal, regardless of how they look like, what their religion is, what skin color they have, what gender they belong to.

Not

Banned

IrishNinja

Yeah so now having a female-only event is a good thing and having it cancelled is a bad thing.

Seriously Gaf. Get your shit together. How would have people react to a man-only event?

And I don't care it's been cancelled because of harassment. Such an event should not even exist in the first place. And for a board that was so quick to jump on that gamergate thing and keep on referring to it, I'm quite surprised I'm the only one noticing the double-standard.

Safe space and worrying of being harassed are things that shouldn't happen and neither of them is fixed by excluding them (or men) while it also aggravates the problem.

To be honest, I am not really offended by the fact that there are these events. What I dont really like is the fact that people want equality but yet organize these events. Thats not equal and lets assume I would live nearby this event and would like to go there but couldnt.

You want to tell me that no women ever tried to flirt or touch a "hot mans ass"? Hmm

It's BS. Women should be allowed to play any event and not get harassed or anything. A women only event is just as bad.

It leads to discimination. That's why feminism is just as bad as harassing women in the gaming industry. Feminism is not about equality anymore.

WHITE KNIGHTS ASSSSEEEEMMBLE!

I understand disagreeing with the event. I think it's a pretty dumb idea too.

acting elitist about post count..

this is a very similar mind frame to the sexist people, no offense but maybe work on your process if you want to be taken seriously.

More like piracy, you can't steal something that is intangible.

hmm, why excluding males from the event? Neither do I understand why there are female only Gyms.

Lol what a moron

what does all this waste have in common

It's always a junior*

Jesus Christ... these threads never fail to attract certain type of poster. And its almost always a junior.

^^
hell of a batch, this last wave

Unfortunately that's not true at all. This thread is full of nastiness toward people based on their race and gender ("evil white men"), and that's seen as perfectly acceptable.

of course, older members can also peddle horseshit too

It's seemingly built into people now to care what anyone thinks of them. Why in the hell anyone care if someone calls them a derogatory term on the internet? Those people will never meet them, they don't put food on the table and are generally pathetic individuals. Why should their words matter if they don't contribute in any way to our lives?
If no one else on here has the mentality of 'fuck 'em, they don't know me', then I truly worry for the future of this world.

I agree that people would benefit from growing a thick skin on the internet. But I'm not interested in citing that as the full solution or only response.
I would like this community to be more inviting one day. I don't want to tell people they need to be stronger humans to get interested in my hobby.

Not

Banned
Extreme example: So its my responsibilty or my burden when most murder has been done by men? Sure, you have my support in fighting inequality but not like this.

YES IT'S YOUR BURDEN TO STOP THE MURDER

WHATEVER GENDER YOU ARE

I'm sorry that your gender causes you to empathize so much with the murderers, but Christ, get over it and put a stop to the horseshit. Then maybe people will stop "generalizing" men or whatever else it is that you're so terrified of happening.

Nepenthe

It's the responsibility of non-murderers to help the police locate murderers.

It's the responsibility of good men to police shitty men when they are harassing women.

To take on the civic and social duties of making your communities better is not a fucking admission of guilt.

I dont have the right to tell anyone what they should do.

So you're going to do nothing.

Women will surely feel better with people like you at the forefront of this fight.

I dont have the right to tell anyone what they should do. I also noted several times that its not the event that angers people. Its the double standards.

Both groups would have to not have a history of being treated unfairly for it to be a double standard.

Yes? Like men committ the most assaults and murder. We as a group need to get better through, education, support and setting examples.

And I mean if your support for fighting inequality is conditional at all there is already a hugw red flag.

I dont have the right to tell anyone what they should do. I also noted several times that its not the event that angers people.Its the double standards.

Double standards require situations to be equal in order for them to work. It's not a double standard if the fundamental comparison points are vastly different.

joecanada

What's your point ? Some people may care or they don't . The emphasis is on people's behavior , why do they need to be shitheads ... Anything goes as long as noone cares right ? Maybe you should worry more about why there's so many shitheads and less about how the victims of harrasnment should feel . There's sensitive people out there , young people , people with trauma , mental illness and they all deserve protection by society from predators.

Xadjim

Banned
YES IT'S YOUR BURDEN TO STOP THE MURDER

WHATEVER GENDER YOU ARE

I'm sorry that your gender causes you to empathize so much with the murderers, but Christ, get over it and put a stop to the horseshit. Then maybe people will stop "generalizing" men or whatever else it is that you're so terrified of happening.

*sigh* Its like you do it on purpose that you ignore the fact that the equivalent wouldnt be to not care about murder. The equivalent would be to exclude every white male from events with the reason that a few have done murder.... I never said that I would just stand there and watch people getting harassed, in fact I said and already did the opposite.

It's the responsibility of non-murderers to help the police locate murderers.

It's the responsibility of good men to police shitty men when they are harassing women.

To take on the civic and social duties of making your communities better is not a fucking admission of guilt.

So you're going to do nothing.

Women will surely feel better with people like you at the forefront of this fight.

Of course its my responsibility to help the police find the murderers just as it is my responisbility to help people who get harassed.

What do you want me to do? Run around with a sign "Please stop harassing women"? After reading the posts here I am really not sure if the problem is Women beeing harassed anymore.

Sai-kun

Banned

I dont have the right to tell anyone what they should do. I also noted several times that its not the event that angers people. Its the double standards. And to answer your question: I plan to keep treating people equal, regardless of how they look like, what their religion is, what skin color they have, what gender they belong to.

your apathy makes you complicit.

so you tell me which one's worse. the people actually trying to protect themselves and others, and trying to do something about sexism, or the person who won't even speak up against it?

edit: oh i need to hear what this real problem is lmaooo

MazeHaze

Banned
*sigh* Its like you do it on purpose that you ignore the fact that the equivalent wouldnt be to not care about murder. The equivalent would be to exclude every white male from events with the reason that a few have done murder.... I never said that I would just stand there and watch people getting harassed, in fact I said and already did the opposite.

Nah man, the equivalent would be to exclude every white male from events with the reason that a few have done murder, and those few will do tons of murder at every event. Surely you wouldn't have a problem with that.

You're bringing up the "not all men" argument again, it doesn't help.

Edit: And surely you can see that the solution to women being harassed at gaming events isn't to keep women from holding their own harassment free events. It seems like your solution is to ban women-only events and tell them to just put up with the harassment at other events, because you can't stop it.

How do you stop harassment at events? I'm not sure you can, but telling women they can't have their own events free of sexual advances and derogatory comments sure as fuck isn't the answer.

Nepenthe

What do you want me to do? Run around with a sign "Please stop harassing women"?

Invite women who game to general gaming events. Make sure they feel safe and are having fun. Stand up for them if you hear them getting harassed on mic chat. Check your friends if they do that kind of shit. Send women in the industry good vibes and share their content. Just basic little displays of backbone beyond being a nice guy. If more people did this, gaming culture would probably be better.

After reading the posts here I am really not sure if the problem is Women beeing harassed anymore.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ.

Xadjim

Banned
Yes? Like men committ the most assaults and murder. We as a group need to get better through, education, support and setting examples.

Exactly and thats also the case here. Finally I feel like someone understands me here. To take your solution in our case here is to educate people and not exclude them.

Having strict rules and security will do the rest. Now we have an event everyone can attend and connect with other people. Someone does not behave? -> Well, bye bye.

MazeHaze

Banned
Exactly and thats also the case here. Finally I feel like someone understands me here. To take your solution in our case here is to educate people and not exclude them.

Having strict rules and security will do the rest. Now we have an event everyone can attend and connect with other people. Someone does not behave? -> Well, bye bye.

So the burden is on females to educate males enough so that they stop harassing them? Surely you see how stupid that is.

We already have events where everyone can attend, and women get harassed, so that obviously is doing jack shit.

Telling women that they're being sexist for wanting to have an event where they can be themselves without slimey perv dudes and misogynists "othering" them is super fucking ignorant.

You know what would happen if there was a female-gamer oriented event that was for males too? It would get harassed out of existence just like this one did.

Not

Banned
Jesus H. Fucking Christ.

Baby steps. His entire perspective-- EDIT: that white males don't deserve to be criticized that women are on the same playing field as men in terms of harassment-- is being bombarded right now.

One of two things could happen from this. And he hasn't run off and sought reaffirmation for his pre-existing beliefs yet, so the positive outcome might still be possible.

Someone does not behave? -> Well, bye bye.

This is what they try to do. It has never happened.

Sai-kun

Banned
it's not women's job to get men to respect them and not harass them

please say it with me

Joey Ravn

Banned

So you rather be reactive than prevent the episode altogether? You prefer having a woman harassed and then punishing the man, rather than not allowing men to enter a building to which they had not been called?

MazeHaze

Banned
Baby steps. His entire perspective-- EDIT: that white males don't deserve to be criticized that women are on the same playing field as men in terms of harassment-- is being bombarded right now.

One of two things could happen from this. And he hasn't run off and sought reaffirmation for his pre-existing beliefs yet, so the positive outcome might still be possible.

This is what they try to do. It has never happened.

His stance in this thread has pretty firmly been "not all males" "both sides" and "just asking questions"

I think it's safe to say you won't be changing any minds.

Xadjim

Banned
Okay then buddy what's the real problem

I am not sure anymore :D this thread has been on fire and that only because some people dont want to understand why this whole problem came up until the event had to be suspended. Not saying its okay but I am saying that its not all black and white what happened there. Maybe a little greyscale too from both sides.

Nah man, the equivalent would be to exclude every white male from events with the reason that a few have done murder, and those few will do tons of murder at every event. Surely you wouldn't have a problem with that.

You're bringing up the "not all men" argument again, it doesn't help.

Edit: And surely you can see that the solution to women being harassed at gaming events isn't to keep women from holding their own harassment free events. It seems like your solution is to ban women-only events and tell them to just put up with the harassment at other events, because you can't stop it.

How do you stop harassment at events? I'm not sure you can, but telling women they can't have their own events free of sexual advances and derogatory comments sure as fuck isn't the answer.

Again, you refuse to understand what I said. not all men is the argument against hate against men because some has done murder, not an excuse to just watch and accept what has happened.

I also dont want to ban women only events. I just wanted to make clear that the first step into the equal direction is not to be inequal. In a perfect world its not necessary to exclude innocent people because they are male, black, muslim or whatever.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You want to tell me that no women ever tried to flirt or touch a "hot mans ass"?
Call me when dudes can't feel safe walking by themselves because their outfit suggests "they're asking for it."

You act like Men and Women are already treated equally. As if this is some affront to a well-tuned balance. Nah, bruh. This shit isn't even close to equal. I guarantee you the women who would attend this con have dealt with infinitely more shit because of their gender than you have.

Until equality actually exists, marginalized groups have the right to take organize among themselves without the burden of having to put up with the bullshit from others.

IrishNinja

please say it with me

but why won't they listen to both sides & hear what they have to say? maybe they could both learn something & finally come together, unlike this anti-male gatherings that are happening everywhere now. i may be new to this "social group" but if sarcon can take time out from his videos DETROYING feminism (which is not about equality btw) to thoughtfully engage ((((anita)))) then why can't i go to events like this? it sounds to me like these women wanted to have this event canceled for the attention.

not all black and white what happened there. Maybe a little greyscale too from both sides.

not all men is the argument against hate against men because some has done murder

In a perfect world its not necessary to exclude innocent people because they are male, black, muslim or whatever.

this guy gets it

MazeHaze

Banned
Again, you refuse to understand what I said. not all men is the argument against hate against men because some has done murder, not an excuse to just watch and accept what has happened.

I also dont want to ban women only events. I just wanted to make clear that the first step into the equal direction is not to be inequal. In a perfect world its not necessary to exclude innocent people because they are male, black, muslim or whatever.

One step to equality is women being able to feel safe at a gaming event, as men do. One solution is for men at gaming events to not harass women. That isn't happening. Another solution is a safe space for females to attend without fear of male harassment.

You saying that is "inequal" is completely ignoring any context.

edit: and nobody here is hating men, I don't know where you get that from. A female only gaming event isn't "hating men" either.

That argument is fucking ignorant, because men don't murder by the hundreds at gaming conventions. But they sure do sexually harass and other women in those numbers.

Vlade

but why won't they listen to both sides & hear what they have to say? maybe they could both learn something & finally come together, unlike this anti-male gatherings that are happening everywhere now. i may be new to this "social group" but if sarcon can take time out from his videos DETROYING feminism (which is not about equality btw) to thoughtfully engage ((((anita)))) then why can't i go to events like this? it sounds to me like these women wanted to have this event canceled for the attention.

Precisely. In the end, women can have their event when I'm ready to allow it. Until then, I'd prefer we did not speak of how the event was stopped, but why stopping it was just.

frontovik

Banned
Very unfortunate that it got cancelled, I hope they find another means to host the event without attracting the wrong kind of attention.

Top Bottom