• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female only gaming event cancelled following online harassment

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It's pretty shitty to have a hobby which is filled with dudes, and with, as seen with this event, a good chunk of them being misogynistic dicks.

My local comic book store advertises women only days all the time, and they're pretty successful events.

It is but it is not prohibited to women, it is just mainly composed of the majority of its compound which is male, and worser than that even if mentalities are slowly changing videogames are still not considered "girly" which is a real problem and I don't mean that in a way we should have barbie games or things like that but I know some parents thinking their daughters lesbian or (a?) tomboy just because she likes to play games and can slaughter thousands of minions in a videogame (I'm sorry if it's not how tomboy should be used english isn't my native language)

By attributing them representative power over all "gamers" instead of treating them like the lowly internet trolls they are, doesn't it give them too much power? Because then people who consider themselves "gamer" because they play a lot will jump to defend actions that they don't even seem to have any understanding of.

I hope a similar event but with more staying power will surface. Having many different events is good for the future.

Cottiny

Banned
This is ridiculous.

Not only because Forocoches is not a gaming community and people here is atributing this inmature behaviour to gamers, but also because we are reaching the point of defending that male exclusion is actually a solution to women's problems.

This so hard. Imagine a male-only event, would you react like you do now? Or a black-only event, or whatever. Discrimination in any form is just that, discrimination. If you support it you are just the worst.

There are plenty of female gamers, and they come to normal, non-sexist events like this one. Normalisation is the only path to equality.

Alucrid

Banned
I agree entirely, speaking as a minority myself. I've traveled the states quite a bit and I've had my share of ignorance thrown at me. Fact is, I don't need that individual's respect, but I will hope that some day they will choose to educate themselves. Because a hurt ego hurts just for a bit. But an ignorant life seems like a prison sentence.

I think it is important to celebrate all the meats in the stew of humanity. But I also think it's important that we celebrate it together, not apart.

this was an industry / networking event.

Ferr986

Shameful. Not surprised it was created at Forocoches, place is a cesspool, but also has a lot of users so it's not the first time they won a boycott.

This so hard. Imagine a male-only event, would you react like you do now? Or a black-only event, or whatever. Discrimination in any form is just that, discrimination. If you support it you are just the worst.

There are plenty of female gamers, and they come to normal, non-sexist events like this one. Normalisation is the only path to equality.

Tell that to the million of gamers than either shame female gamers or just want to harass them, and ALSO the ones that looks elsewhere because #notallgamers

Your normalisation is just keep on going with the status quo that is gaming being dominated by white males and being unwelcome to anyone else.

Howabout the common uninformed gamer that just want to attend a gaming event? he may learn a thing or two and broaden his mind

So your made up scenario is that a random male gamer would genuinely, while being uninformed, wants to attend a gaming event focused on women to learn things about women in the gaming industry. And now because he can't attend the event he will be worse off? But this event is for women, so why does it matter?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Why would anyone have a problem with this event taking place.

What the fuck is wrong with people.

What would men need a men only gaming event for? These 2 things are not equivalent because one is the defualy and the other is a rarity. Men dominate gaming culture. If you remove all the women from most gaming events you wouldn't even notice the attendance dropped.

You are quite ill-informed.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Oh. ForoCoches. Take 4chan, remove any trace of dignity that it may have, add some very ingrained Spanish machismo and you have the online cesspool of this country.

Seriously, fuck those guys. They are the worst Spain has to offer. I hope they face legal repercussions for these actions. In a better world, they would spend some time in jail and have their lives affected by the consequences of their decisions just as much as they fuck up the lives of others.

I always ask people who take on the line of thought you're arguing against if they ever feel some type of way about fraternities and I never get a fucking answer.

I'm curious as well to why people are selective about what outrages them in this situation. It baffles me that these people always seem to restrict others' freedom because they feel like their freedom is being restricted, yet they only feel this under some very specific conditions. I honestly don't understand.

Village

However, after that announcement, the event began to get several people (mostly males) complain about the non-mixed nature of the event, allowing only females to enter. This peaked when Forocoches, Spain's biggest forum, and also the most disgusting one, heard about the event. Several threads were opened against it, and one of them even suggested trolling the event by disguising themselves and claiming to be female transexuals so they could enter the event and then troll it from the inside.
Along with being a horrible thing to do and undervaluing the lives of transgender people.That kinda sounds like, maybe those guys had some personal stuff they needed to work out.

Heroman

Banned

Yeah no that isn't true.

Nepenthe

This so hard. Imagine a male-only event, would you react like you do now?

Fraternities.

Or a black-only event, or whatever.

As a black person, I love events where I can hang around all or majority black people without having to deal with the existence of the inherent social inequalities that occur between me and white people.

Discrimination in any form is just that, discrimination. If you support it you are just the worst.

Fraternities.

There are plenty of female gamers, and they come to normal, non-sexist events like this one.

There are also plenty that don't come to co-ed events or speak up in online because of people that get to harass them unchecked.

Normalisation is the only path to equality.

Then tell your fellow men to stop being dickturds to us. That would be the best thing you could do, rather insist we throw ourselves to the wolves so you can pat yourself on the back for being technically inclusive. That's how co-existence is normalized.

I think it's kinda stupid to organise these "women only" events, just as I would find it equally dumb to organise a "men only" event. However, I am perfectly capable of not liking something while also letting it continue because the whole world doesn't revolve around me.

I wish this trend of "I don't like something, therefore it mustn't exist" would finally blow over.

I wouldn't call it stupid, maybe facetious or callous, but either way we all know by now that having such exclusionary events based on gender is never a good idea.

The rest of the post I can agree with.

It's too bad it got shutdown, it probably would jave been a fun event for all.

Obviously harassment isn't okay, but I find it hard to understand why this was cancelled (partially because it isn't in English). If they're receiving too much harassment then maybe they posted out to the wrong target audience? There are a lot of girl gaming groups that manage to run their events relatively undisturbed, or despite facing harassment, so what why was this different?

As a black person, I love events where I can hang around all or majority black people without having to deal with the existence of the inherent social inequalities that occur between me and white people.

In the UK that's deemed an issue by law, at least if the events were intentionally curated to be that way. You can't never restrict membership to a club or event on the basis of race. This is considered race discrimination by the equality act.

Not to say you're wrong to feel the way you feel, but an event that intentionally curates its members on the basis of race is discrimination.

I understand the concept, but I see value in building an event that unites same-minded people to discuss about specific subjects over arbitrary separations.

You don't go with clothes to a nudist beach, you don't go uninvited to an alumni reunion, so why not a women-specific event that does not perturb the public space? As long as it's confined to a specific time and space, I don't see it as segregation.

Now if it has long-term implications (like a job fair or a place that offers unique opportunities), that's another story.

And I have trouble believing that the "gaming community" at large would oppose such a confined event. Most people don't care, or would be supportive of people embracing the same hobby as them.

Platy

"Mens only" events happen already. They're just not named as such because, well... let's take a look at E3.
ygrb238pkuepreucfjdq.jpg

Finding ONE woman quickly turns into a Where's Waldo game

A very hard one. Here are my boring tries. Red are confirmed, orange is possible

And sadly there are lots of discussions that get lost in places like these because even when there is a woman speaking when she will speak about basic stuff like feminism she STILL has to give the "so the 101 is ..." that can easily be ignored in a women only event

I feel like doing a social experiment where I attend 10 random gaming events in my area and count the men to women ratio. Just to enphasize how stupid "what if it was a mens only event" sounds.

*Walks into this thread as a white male*

"Actually, this is fine because all discrimination is bad."

*Get's called out*

"I'm sorry, but I thought we were all fans of MLK Jr.!"

Cottiny

Banned
Fraternities.

In Spain we don't have fraternities, so I cannot possibly comment on a backwards thing like that that you have in the US.

About the second part, you proved to be just as bad as an American white supremacist with that comment if I understood it correctly.

I'm not going to say anything else on this thread.

In Spain we don't have fraternities, so I cannot possibly comment on a backwards thing like that that you have in the US.

About the second part, you proveb to be just as bad as an American white supremacist with that comment.

Hey as a fellow Spaniard may I recommend not making comments on race dynamics that you don't fully understand and comparing a black person to, uh, fuckin white supremacists. Just an idea.

Madame M

Banned

About the second part, you proveb to be just as bad as an American white supremacist with that comment.

Barcelona isn't Spain, it's Catalonia.

Nepenthe

Do you have sporting organizations that are men-only? Same thing.

You can't comment on college organization culture because you're from Spain and apparently everything you do there is co-ed (I doubt it), but you certainly were quick to talk about white supremacy in America and black people's various responses to it as if that is something you know about as well.

Bye Felicia.

Heroman

Banned

About the second part, you proved to be just as bad as an American white supremacist with that comment if I understood it correctly.

Huh?

Well the second comment isn't the same thing. You probably do that yourself subconsciously when you want to surround yourself with friends or family, because you like the feeling of not side-eyeing any potential attack against you.

Do you have a direct translation?

I'll try my best

Hello shurs (this is a meme in forocoches, so no translation), I'm creating this thread to plan the trolling to the event taking place in Barcelona exclusive to women with the excuse they want to feel safe and protected.

The idea is to dress as women and claim we're transgender (he's using a despective slang here, which I won't translate), to the beat of "muerte al machirulo" (a reference to a feminist motto in Spanish)

Once we're inside we'll unleash the fury.

We need to star planning it, (gathering) information of the event, possible costumes and a telegram group.

EDIT: we would need makeup and women's clothes, but above all, balls.

Forochoches, as many have said, is a cesspool. It's probably the largest, and certainly the most toxic, Spanish-speaking forum on the internet. I gotta say I'm not surprised at all to see this kind of shit coming from them. I truly hope the event can eventually happen.

How's futbol treating you all?

roytheone

Fraternities.

Fraternities.

There are also plenty that don't come to co-ed events or speak up in online because of people that get to harass them unchecked.

Then tell your fellow men to stop being dickturds to us. That would be the best thing you could do, rather insist we throw ourselves to the wolves so you can pat yourself on the back for being technically inclusive. That's how co-existence is normalized.

I think this is a big problem. Events should have a strong no nonsense policy and immediately remove people that are dickheads. Probably should work with a black list too so that assholes can be banned from multiple events in one swoop.

However, about you saying we should tell our fellow white male gamers that are dickheads to be nicer : yes, we should do that, but in my experience that does jack shit. They will just spew more nonsense and see you as a liberal turd and will not change anything. Actions and actual bans from events work better I think.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Obviously harassment isn't okay, but I find it hard to understand why this was cancelled (partially because it isn't in English). If they're receiving too much harassment then maybe they posted out to the wrong target audience? There are a lot of girl gaming groups that manage to run their events relatively undisturbed, or despite facing harassment, so what why was this different?

Victim blaming, seriously?

They weren't able to carry on with their event because this group of assholes decided that they were to be the target of their harassment. As simple as that. There's no other reason but sheer immaturity mixed with a deep-seated hatred for women, who are seen as "the enemy" who is taking "what isn't theirs".

People in that forum are constantly seeking new targets to direct their mob mentality. It could have been a concert by a teen band or a politician who said something they didn't like. It just happened that someone caught a glimpse of this event and decided to rally the band of assholes in the forum. The organizers of the event did absolutely nothing wrong, and trying to insinuate they did is frankly astonishingly abhorrent.

kulapik

The guy that made the thread deleted it and then made another one saying that that it was just a joke and that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but still, it wasn't a good joke. And while the whole of Forocoches might not be as terrible as it's being said, it's still sad to see that there's still people like that.

You can't comment on college organization culture because you're from Spain and apparently everything you do there is co-ed (I doubt it)

Actually, education (especially college education) pretty much is fully co-ed in Spain. Doesn't excuse his post or anything, just as a little fun fact.

Top Bottom