• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female only gaming event cancelled following online harassment

God damn. I hope one of these kinds of events can get off the ground without a bunch of disgusting neckbeards ruining it some day.

We share events with everyone, "identity affinity" is a nice way to say discrimination. And woman are the other half of the humanity, for god's sake, not a minority.

Why are they treated like 2nd class citizens, then?

Bahorel

We understand that this convention isn't the ideal of feminism, right? Feminism is the pursuit of equality for the genders, not the supremacy of females. Exclusion would rarely accomplish these goals, that's obvious.

"females", heh

Women aren't seeking supremacy. Having an event without men isn't a secret plot to get to the top.

Nepenthe

Maybe that's because they had. Idk. Slavery. And racial segregation until not too long ago.

We still have racial segregation. It's just not blatantly codified in law.

You can't stop black people from voting, for example, by making a law that says "Black people cannot vote."

But you can deliberately make it harder for black people through gerrymandering (drawing voting districts in such a way that the results are skewed towards a certain party without actually changing the number of votes), regulations that make it harder for black people to vote by limiting the places and voting times, changing the information we need to register to vote, legally-skirting voter intimidation, and other forms of disenfranchisement.

Apply this kind of racially-targeted bureaucratic maneuvering to everything in society- housing and property ownership, job searching and entrepreneurship, education, drug laws, etc., and you have a society that is thoroughly unequal between black people and white people without many laws on the books blatantly declaring so. But because there isn't a law that literally says "Black people cannot do x," white Americans and foreigners make the mistake of just thinking that equality has been achieved in America, and thus the equivalence of black communing to outright fucking white power happens inevitably happens when black people say they like temporarily escaping the confines of this unjust society through camaraderie and fellowship with the people who know exactly what they're going through.

And then I have to roll my eyes, write posts like these, and retreat into my current anime just to make myself feel better. I'm currently watching Hajime no Ippo and it's fantastic.

JCH!

Implying that Ceuta and Melilla shoots (with not even real guns like you Americans) have something to do with racism. They have to do with stopping illegal immigration. And I won't let a American who belives that we are racist, when black slaves from your country where coming to Spanish Florida to save themselves because they could be free there, to teach me the history of my own country.

Man, as a fellow Spaniard, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself (and the rest of us by proxy).

Alucrid

Banned
Yeah as an epiphenomenon but as an dominant part of the event how many of you had the times or even found the stages talking about women in video games. The others event are packed as hell and mostly dedicated to new games.

If I were again the uninformed common gamer (even if not all of them) and had the choice of playing an upcoming game or attend an almost invisible panel that can barely be found you know what I'd chose?

if only the "common uninformed gamer" could find a way to see if such panels ever existed. i mean, there has to be ways to do that, but i imagine the "common uninformed gamer" simply has their head up their ass and is too busy being coy about his true intentions by shouting out "why won't anyone educated me, the common uninformed gamer. i want to learn about the challenges, experiences and contributions of women in video games, but i also need to play the latest The Last Night demo. whatever shall i do?"

Come on you're just being dishonest here you know exactly that's not what I meant just it would have been a great opportunity.

Don't try to pull something misogynist of what I said I just think it's a missed opportunity either for men or women as I said my girlfriend would've liked to go their but without me she wouldn't since she'd rather spend time with me playing rather than being alone.
How is it dishonest. You've literally said that this would have been a good opportunity for women to educate men. Women don't need to constantly be educating men just to get them to accept them as equals, and they definitely do not need to turn every opportunity they get to celebrate women in games into a schooling session for men

It's fucking 2017. Men shouldn't *need* this kind of education. And absolutely no woman on earth is obligated to do it

e: posted the same reply twice smh

Murkas

Then explain me maybe there is a bias I'm not seeing I just see this as a missed opportunity and I'm not quite comfortable with any attend prohibitting gender skin color or belief.

Do you get uncomfortable when gyms have women only section/hours?

Implying that Ceuta and Melilla shoots (with not even real guns like you Americans) have something to do with racism. They have to do with stopping illegal immigration. And I won't let a American who belives that we are racist, when black slaves from your country where coming to Spanish Florida to save themselves because they could be free there, to teach me the history of my own country..
I'm not the one teaching you anything. I'm linking you materials and evidence of racism and discriminations in Spain written by Spanish people.

The Spanish also participated in slavery.
http://ldhi.library.cofc.edu/exhibi..._for_a_new_emp/the_spanish_and_new_world_slav

Racial profiling is racial profiling no matter how you spin it. I don't see White Spaniards in those stats getting stopped and being asked to provide documentation of residency.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
There's a lot to unpack here, especially about the bimbos. Please continue.

I have no clue what the hell you are saying to be honest.

A lot of the big publisher use women just like we can see in the car shows or things like that.

As for the jumpstart I think it would have been the first event starring only women in this industry if you don't think it's a good thing for women I don't know what may be.
And yes I may sound naive thinking that kind of event might have had a positive effect on women working in this industry

clearestblue

Neo Member
I did a radio news report in college about women in gaming and interviewed a woman who went to co-ed events and got spit on by men and men refused to play with her. If you can't understand why women want their own spaces to play games, I don't know what to tell you.

Shaanyboi

Banned
We understand that this convention isn't the ideal of feminism, right? Feminism is the pursuit of equality for the genders, not the supremacy of females. Exclusion would rarely accomplish these goals, that's obvious.
Lol a women's only gaming event is about "female supremacy?"

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
How is it dishonest. You've literally said that this would have been a good opportunity for women to educate men. Women don't need to constantly be educating men just to get them to accept them as equals, and they definitely do not need to turn every opportunity they get to celebrate women in games into a schooling session for men

It's fucking 2017. Men shouldn't *need* this kind of education. And absolutely no woman on earth is obligated to do it

Out of context and it is simply in the hypothesis that there were only females in the panels that's it I could've called them gamers or devellopers would that have suited better your tastes?

We still have racial segregation. It's just not blatantly codified in law.

You can't stop black people from voting, for example, by making a law that says "Black people cannot vote."

But you can deliberately make it harder through gerrymandering (drawing voting districts in such a way that the results are skewed towards a certain party without actually changing the number of votes) and regulations that make it harder for black people to vote by limiting the places and voting times, as well as the information we need to register to vote.

Apply this kind of racially-targeted bureaucratic maneuvering to everything in society- housing and property ownership, job searching and entrepreneurship, education, drug laws, etc., and you have a society that is thoroughly unequal between black people and white people without many laws on the books blatantly declaring so. But because there isn't a law that literally says "Black people cannot do x," white Americans and foreigners make the mistake of just thinking that equality has been achieved in America, and thus the equivalence of black communing and white power happens inevitably happens when black people say they like temporarily escaping the confines of this unjust society through camaraderie and fellowship with the people who know exactly what they're going through.

And then I have to roll my eyes, write posts like these, and retreat into my current anime just to make myself feel better. I'm currently watching Hajime no Ippo and it's fantastic.

Oh yeah, I've read about gerrymandering and voter supression but it's a bit hard to understand from a foreigner's perspective. Thanks so much for taking the time to educate, it means a lot, and I'm sorry that you even have to explain it.

Budi

To those asking why even have a women only events, one reason I could see is so panel can stay on the topic at hand. Stumbled across this video today in some context, it's some asshole trying to derail from the issues the panel is ment to discuss at Vidcon. Ofcourse doubling down on it in YT afterwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej5hQA63SPw Not really a recommended viewing, it's an Youtuber named JoeySalads if someone is familiar with him. Seems to be popular unfortunately. Just shared it to make a point.

That panel was ment to let women in online communities ”talk about how we can foster new creators and communities, amplify often-marginalized voices, and move forward together."

Cottiny

Banned
I'm not the one teaching you anything. I'm linking you materials and evidence of racism and discriminations in Spain written by Spanish people.

The Spanish also participated in slavery.
http://ldhi.library.cofc.edu/exhibi..._for_a_new_emp/the_spanish_and_new_world_slav

Racial profiling is racial profiling no matter how you spin it. I don't see White Spaniards in those stats getting stopped and being asked to provide documentation of residency.

Of course you can find racism, but every country has racists. My point is that you can't remotely compare the obsession on races in the US with any European country. You are pretty fucked up on this issue, guys.

Nope they were literally talking about women in positions of power but good on you for missing that completely.

And I talked about how the ones with less power and more disgraced are also men. If you can't see that fact (and your fact is correct too) then there is no point on saying anything else.

wideface

This whole thing is infuriating.

This so hard. Imagine a male-only event, would you react like you do now? Or a black-only event, or whatever. Discrimination in any form is just that, discrimination. If you support it you are just the worst.

There are plenty of female gamers, and they come to normal, non-sexist events like this one. Normalisation is the only path to equality.

As a Spaniard, I just wanted to chime in to say that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Why do people think a meeting of women to discuss gaming with other women and network has anything to do with men? Why the fuck does it matter if its a missed opportunity to educate men? E3 conferences would be a great opportunity to encourage gamers to not be dumpster fire but we aint ever have a million people concern trolling there do we?

It's not optimism or naive nature being peddled here. It is literally just a bunch of selfish people wanting shit to be about them. Me me me.

Nepenthe

Also, fuck "education" in situations like this. This sentiment gives assholes the benefit of the doubt by assuming they don't know they're being misogynistic and just need someone to guide them.

They know they are being so and don't care. It's up to the rest of us to give them a proverbial and potentially literal punch.

Then explain me maybe there is a bias I'm not seeing I just see this as a missed opportunity and I'm not quite comfortable with any attend prohibitting gender skin color or belief.
Because it's not a prohibition. It was an opportunity for women to celebrate women in games. It wasn't a maliciously designed event to exclude men, it was an opportunity for women to celebrate their own in an incredibly male dominated space. The kinds of people who went out of their way to destroy this event aren't people who were mad that they couldn't go, they would have had no interest in going, they are mad at the idea that women be allowed to do something on their own in a space that they feel that they own

There is an exclusionary overtone to this story, but it's not coming from the women who organised this event

Out of context and it is simply in the hypothesis that there were only females in the panels that's it I could've called them gamers or devellopers would that have suited better your tastes?
what is out of context?

Of course you can find racism, but every country has racists. My point is that you can't remotely compare the obsession on races in the US with any European country. You are pretty fucked up on this issue, guys.
That doesn't even make any sense when 👏🏽 Spanish 👏🏽 people 👏🏽 in 👏🏽 those 👏🏽 articles 👏🏽 were 👏🏽 the 👏🏽 ones 👏🏽 that 👏🏽 documented 👏🏽 Spanish 👏🏽 racism 👏🏽

Feminism is many things and includes many opinions about how gender equity can be achieved and even what gender equity is. Which means there is no feminist ideal that can be ascribed to a mean, only to an end. Situations where disprivileged groups can be by themselves allow them a state of peace and consideration that avoids the intervention of privileged groups whose interests are likely against those of the disprivileged group. So these places that are made for just women are beneficial to women. So they should exist and it's in the interest of women that they exist.

And obviously these situations are different from white only or men only or rich only events, those exist to maintain status quo, events like those similar to the one being discussed exist to improve the status quo.

Giever

This sucks for the women involved and I hope they'll be able to figure out another event for themselves in the near future and make it work. It would be nice if we eventually reach the point where events like this are just a fun novelty and not a necessary safe-haven just to enjoy your hobby with other people.

Nepenthe

Why do people think a meeting of women to discuss gaming with ither women and network has anything to do with men? Why the fuck does it matter if its a missed opportunity to educate men? E3 conference would be a great opportunity to encourage gamers to not be dumpster fire but we aint ever have a million people concern trolling there do we?

Lol, niggas can't even be bothered to sit still through the corporate talk because they forget that E3 is also an exposition for shareholders. You really think they want to hear about women's struggles when they're chomping at the bit to see the next big piece of overpriced DLC?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Could be worse.

Could be a bimbo supremacy.

They got a chokehold on Mexico

bimbo.png

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There is literally no other context for your post. It's incredibly clear cut. You said these events should exist to educate men. Which is an almost comical misunderstanding of why these events need to take place as well as an at best disingenuous expectation that men would go there to be educated..Mind explaining the context behind using the term "bimbos" other than you being yet another example of why these events need to take place?

Joey Ravn

Banned

Let me chime in and say, as another fellow Spaniard, that you're gonna get banned. Just cut your losses, admit you were wrong and hope for the best.

Because, boy, aren't you wrong on this one. Maybe it's not as bad as some other places, but Spain is still all sorts of racist, sexist and homophobic. And let's not get started about racism in Europe. Brexit, anyone?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Because it's not a prohibition. It was an opportunity for women to celebrate women in games. It wasn't a maliciously designed event to exclude men, it was an opportunity for women to celebrate their own in an incredibly male dominated space. The kinds of people who went out of their way to destroy this event aren't people who were mad that they couldn't go, they would have had no interest in going, they are mad at the idea that women be allowed to do something on their own in a space that they feel that they own

There is an exclusionary overtone to this story, but it's not coming from the women who organised this event

First sadly even in 2017 a lot of men need to be educated about how to talk to women (and believe I said that as someone who has a mother and a sister who worked at a technical support in an IT company and that got so direspected so much that they ended up signing thjeir mail by Patrick or Roger to get treated better(and it worked)).

That's an interesting point you got in the second paragraph maybe I just saw them as gamers jealous because they couldn't attend this event instead of just stupid male not wanting anything good coming from women.

Lol, niggas can't even be bothered to sit still through the corporate talk because they forget that E3 is also an exposition for shareholders. You really think they want to hear about women's struggles when they're chomping at the bit to see the next big piece of overpriced DLC?

It would be great if they could!!! It's such a missed oppurtunity that we don't discuss this stuff on the biggest stage in gaming right. Why not have a break between all the rugged males breaking necks right?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
There is literally no other context for your post. It's incredibly clear cut. Mind explaining the context behind using the term "bimbos" other than you being yet another example of why these events need to take place?

I did it before, I was talking of some publishers using them like in car shows and in context I just said women because it is a women even with only women in panels if I said gamers or developper you wouldn't have said anything so stop seing the eveil when there's not.

It might have been a bizarre sentence but english isn't my native language so believe me there were not bad intentions involved.

Igama

Neo Member
Oh, I hadn't heard about this. Disgusting. Sadly it doesn't surprise me, coming from that forum. It's a nest of assholes.

Cottiny

Banned
Let me chime in and say, as another fellow Spaniard, that you're gonna get banned. Just cut your losses, admit you were wrong and hope for the best.

Because, boy, aren't you wrong on this one. Maybe it's not as bad as some other places, but Spain is still all sorts of racist, sexist and homophobic. And let's not get started about racism in Europe. Brexit, anyone?

If dissidents of the mainstream opinions are banned (and so I heard about GAF) then so be it. It will proof that it's literally a unique-thought dictatorship. And btw you know that we are one of the top countries on social gay acceptance.

Nepenthe

It would be great if they could!!! It's such a missed oppurtunity that we don't discuss this stuff on the biggest stage in gaming right. Why not have a break between all the rugged males breaking necks right?

Because I don't like politics in my games. That's what this is all about, right?

WesFX

Neo Member
Feminism is many things and includes many opinions about how gender equity can be achieved and even what gender equity is. Which means there is no feminist ideal that can be ascribed to a mean, only to an end. Situations where disprivileged groups can be by themselves allow them a state of peace and consideration that avoids the intervention of privileged groups whose interests are likely against those of the disprivileged group. So these places that are made for just women are beneficial to women. So they should exist and it's in the interest of women that they exist.

And obviously these situations are different from white only or men only or rich only events, those exist to maintain status quo, events like those similar to the one being discussed exist to improve the status quo.

I appreciate this comment :)
I agree this is very different, and sorry to seem like I wanted the definition of feminism to fit a box.

Nepenthe

If dissidents of the mainstream opinions are banned (and so I heard about GAF) then so be it. It will proof that it's literally like a dictatorship.

I mean, it's in the rules. We do not have free speech here, we do not vote on our mods, nor do we get the collective right to appeal decisions that have been rendered final.

It is a dictatorship.

If you want a free speech utopia where identity doesn't matter, there's always 4chan.

Oersted

Didn't read but let me guess, this thread grow to 7 pages due to a bunch of guys trying to tell us the real issue is that this was a women-only event?

Didn't read but let me guess, this thread grow to 7 pages due to a bunch of guys trying to tell us the real issue is that this was a women-only event?

Also that race shouldn't matter in the US because it doesn't matter in Spain.

Except it does.

Top Bottom