• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female only gaming event cancelled following online harassment

wartama

Neo Member
Fuck them. Now I really want someone on the upper ladder of the gaming industry to advocate for or organize a women-only space just to show these turds that the world doesn't revolve around them.

Minority-exclusive and focused events and celebrations are a symptom of majority exclusion.

If any of you guys don't like it when women decide to hang out by themselves without your involvement, treat the disease that is misogyny in the nerd community so they will come and hang out with you.

Don't get mad that they made their own party after getting kicked out of the "co-ed" one they tried to enter in the first place.

Eloquently said.

At least before we had internet those angry virginal women hating nerds would just silently live in their parents basement. Now they can make themselves heard.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So your made up scenario is that a random male gamer would genuinely, while being uninformed, wants to attend a gaming event focused on women to learn things about women in the gaming industry. And now because he can't attend the event he will be worse off? But this event is for women, so why does it matter?

Do you think people are informed do you have any idea of the number of gamers that just went near porte de versailles to be surprised that there were the Paris Games Week? So yeah the random gamer not inform that this happens might come across and might have learned about women in this industry.

And it's not because we're quite informed here that the average gamer knows even the gamergate hasn't been that shown in this part of the globe.
So yeah a lot of gamers with genuine good intention might have come and maybe it woul've changed their opinion about women in video games but no we are informed so everybody is and everybody taht is interested may not find those kind of information at others event.

And you know what I have a girlfriend who is a gamer too and it would have been great to go their together but either we couldn't because of some misogynist pricks that can see farther than their dicks, maybe going there I would have been accepted who knows you do see some women at E3 even if they're not much.

So yeah an event about women is great but an event about women prohibitting men to attend is quite illogical you just can't inform the good will men and attract the hatred of the already misogynist ones (hell even some of them might've been surprised)
If you want an example one of my uncle was racist mostly because he lived in a secluded village so his racism was more of an ignorance than real hatred.All it took was the kindess of one arrabic guy to help him changes his tire to change his minds.
Sometimes taht's all it takes to change an opinion.

Zojirushi

In Spain we don't have fraternities, so I cannot possibly comment on a backwards thing like that that you have in the US.

About the second part, you proved to be just as bad as an American white supremacist with that comment if I understood it correctly.

I'm not going to say anything else on this thread.

What the hell dude.

And yeah, I don't think you're gonna say a lot more on this forum tbh.

Cottiny

Banned
Hey as a fellow Spaniard may I recommend not making comments on race dynamics that you don't fully understand and comparing a black person to, uh, fuckin white supremacists. Just an idea.

Violating what I said about not saying anything else, but the obsession of Americans with race is crazy. What a way to classify people.

Have you ever heard of identity based affinity groups? They're often very important to and arguably necessary for people who are minorities within a predominantly majority setting. It's something people from the majority take for granted because they don't have to actively seek out other people like them and don't live the experience of being in the extreme minority or face discrimination and harassment the way minorities do from the majority population. See: men and this event.

We share events with everyone, "identity affinity" is a nice way to say discrimination. And woman are the other half of the humanity, for god's sake, not a minority.

The guy that made the thread deleted it and then made another one song that that it was just a joke and that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but still, it wasn't a good joke. And while the whole of Forocoches might not be as terrible as it's being said, it's still sad to see that there's still people like that.

FC is infamous for trolling and disregarding the consequences. The whole John Cobra saga proves how much they can influence real-life events.

Nepenthe

However, about you saying we should tell our fellow white male gamers that are dickheads to be nicer : yes, we should do that, but in my experience that does jack shit. They will just spew more nonsense and see you as a liberal turd and will not change anything. Actions and actual bans from events work easy better I think.

If you're going to yield the ground to the jackasses who are looking to target women specifically because they're women, instead of sticking up for women and rallying around them when they need your allyship the most, then it's inevitable that they will make spaces free of the bullshit.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What a bunch of awful people. These assholes are living proof that this is a necessary thing, and that sexism is a huge problem in gaming communities. Here's hoping that they manage to do the event in peace, and that someday it won't be needed because sexism isn't tolerated anymore.

watershed

Banned
In Spain we don't have fraternities, so I cannot possibly comment on a backwards thing like that that you have in the US.

About the second part, you proved to be just as bad as an American white supremacist with that comment if I understood it correctly.

Have you ever heard of identity based affinity groups? They're often very important to and arguably necessary for people who are minorities within a predominantly majority setting. It's something people from the majority take for granted because they don't have to actively seek out other people like them and don't live the experience of being in the extreme minority or face discrimination and harassment the way minorities do from the majority population. See: men and this event.

moeman

This only serves as further proof for the necessity of female only events. These "men" are disgusting and I sure has hell wouldn't want them at an event on gender issues of any kind.

As a matter of fact they can stay out of all events. Please and thank you.

Nepenthe

Violating what I said about not saying anything else, but the obsession of Americans with race is crazy. What a way to classify people.

Don't act like Americans are the only ones obsessed with race.

Don't also act like race is the only stupid way to classify and discriminate against people.

Finally, don't act like the ways people respond to an existing societal class system that oppresses them are the same as the ways people at the top look to brutally impart that oppression.

Do you think people are informed do you have any idea of the number of gamers that just went near porte de versailles to be surprised that there were the Paris Games Week? So yeah the random gamer not inform that this happens might come across and might have learned about women in this industry.

And it's not because we're quite informed here that the average gamer knows even the gamergate hasn't been that shown in this part of the globe.
So yeah a lot of gamers with genuine good intention might have come and maybe it woul've changed their opinion about women in video games but no we are informed so everybody is and everybody taht is interested may not find those kind of information at others event.

And you know what I have a girlfriend who is a gamer too and it would have been great to go their together but either we couldn't because of some misogynist pricks that can see farther than their dicks, maybe going there I would have been accepted who knows you do see some women at E3 even if they're not much.

So yeah an event about women is great but an event about women prohibitting men to attend is quite illogical you just can't inform the good will men and attract the hatred of the already misogynist ones (hell even some of them might've been surprised)
If you want an example one of my uncle was racist mostly because he lived in a secluded village so his racism was more of an ignorance than real hatred.All it took was the kindess of one arrabic guy to help him changes his tire to change his minds.
Sometimes taht's all it takes to change an opinion.
You are arguing for the sake of educating men. This event wasn't for that.

Maybe that's because they had. Idk. Slavery. And racial segregation until not too long ago.

It's not like we don't have our own issues with racism, and frankly I'd prefer the "oversensitive" American way to our way of ignoring these issues and pretending they don't exist. Many Spanish towns (big ones that definitely have black people living in them that they could hire) still use white people in blackface during their Reyes Magos parades, ffs. To speak nothing of how we treat Latin American immigrants, or even Eastern Europeans (but that's less racism and more xenophobia, technically).

(Anyone who is American can correct me on any of this, of course).

Not this shit again! You are Spanish but let me educate you real quick because you're obviously not informed about your own damn country's history on racism.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2017/01/11/inenglish/1484151919_267996.html
https://www.liberties.eu/en/news/racism-not-overcome-spain

The second link talks about the police racially profiling Black Spaniards as one bullet point. Sound familiar?

Yeah, you clearly don't understand race dynamics in the US. You should probably refrain from commenting on things you don't understand

Heroman

Banned

We share events with everyone, "identity affinity" is a nice way to say discrimination. And woman are the other half of the humanity, for god's sake, not a minority.
How many world leaders are Women? How many CEOs are Women? How of the popular movies are protagonist are Women? Women are the minority in most alot of countries

WesFX

Neo Member
We understand that this convention isn't the ideal of feminism, right? Feminism is the pursuit of equality for the genders, not the supremacy of females. Exclusion would rarely accomplish these goals, that's obvious.

Edit: Clarifying; The word ”supremacy” is used to help clarify the spirit of feminism, not define the convention this thread is about. Go go ladies :)

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
are you the "common uninformed gamer"?

Yeah as an epiphenomenon but as an dominant part of the event how many of you had the times or even found the stages talking about women in video games. The others event are packed as hell and mostly dedicated to new games.

If I were again the uninformed common gamer (even if not all of them) and had the choice of playing an upcoming game or attend an almost invisible panel that can barely be found you know what I'd chose?

We understand that this convention isn't the ideal of feminism, right? Feminism is the pursuit of equality for the genders, not the supremacy of females. Exclusion would rarely accomplish these goals, that's obvious.
What does one female-only event have against feminism? Are you against sorority events too? 💀

Get off your alt please. That 2009 account with 93 posts is NOT a good look

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You are arguing for the sake of educating men. This event wasn't for that.

I'm arguing that an event about the place of women in the industry even though necessary is counterproductive if it prohibits men to attend.

And a big event like that should've been to jumpstart to a better future for women in the industry whether by educating men or simply showing more their talents and not showing some bimbos as it seem to be the case in the more flashy events.

Madame M

Banned

The convention didn't and won't happen. They had to cancel it over harassment. How is that "female supremacy?"

They sure have so much power in this situation, why it's an injustice!

clearestblue

Neo Member
This so hard. Imagine a male-only event, would you react like you do now? Or a black-only event, or whatever. Discrimination in any form is just that, discrimination. If you support it you are just the worst.

There are plenty of female gamers, and they come to normal, non-sexist events like this one. Normalisation is the only path to equality.

giphy.gif

Please tell me more about what feminism is supposed to be, Simone de Beauvoir.

roytheone

If you're going to yield the ground to the jackasses who are looking to target women specifically because they're women, instead of sticking up for women and rallying around them when they need your allyship the most, then it's inevitable that they will make spaces free of the bullshit.

I have played online with woman and have heard the disgusting Bullshit they get thrown their way. When I see that, I WILL attack those pathetic people that do that kind of stuff, I am not saying we shouldn't. However, in my experience that doesn't really cause them to stop, they will just call you names too and continue to be a shit bag. I also report them and I hope many of those reports lead to bans, because I think in this case actions speak louder then words (not saying we shouldn't use words too tough, I just hope companies actually take the reports seriously and ban those assholes)

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm always dumbfounded when people come into these types of threads with takes other than "this is completely horrible"

"I'm not a feminist: I'm an equalist!"

"It's not like gender inequality is bad, BUT isn't this reverse sexism?"

"If they didn't want to be segregated, why did they segregate themselves?"

"Well, they shouldn't have publicized the event if they didn't want any negative attention..."

etc.

I'm flabbergasted by the fact that some people say these things completely unironically. Case in point:

I'm arguing that an event about the place of women in the industry even though necessary is counterproductive if it prohibits men to attend.

And a big event like that should've been to jumpstart to a better future for women in the industry whether by educating men or simply showing more their talents and not showing some bimbos as it seem to be the case in the more flashy events.
There is just so much wrong with this and I just honestly can't believe that its coming from a heath ledger joker face

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Why would anyone have a problem with this event taking place.

What the fuck is wrong with people.
Because the gaming community at large has an issue of deeply ingrained misogyny that at best, it refuses to acknowledge, and at worst, it outright encourages. Combine that with male entitlement.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Well at what other event have you heard about women place in video games?
Like, every convention I've ever gone to has multiple panels about women in games, women in comics, women in film.

Your theoretical individual being barred from this has so many fucking opportunities to learn about female creators. Why would this be their only chance?

This isn't "exclusion". This is a private event with invitation being extended only to the people they want to invite for any reason they see fit. They are allowed to do that, or at least they should be. People can't be excluded from something they were never invited for.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Ah I see now. It is the job of women to educate men. Just like it is the job of minorities to educate whites.

Smh.

Come on you're just being dishonest here you know exactly that's not what I meant just it would have been a great opportunity.

Don't try to pull something misogynist of what I said I just think it's a missed opportunity either for men or women as I said my girlfriend would've liked to go their but without me she wouldn't since she'd rather spend time with me playing rather than being alone.

Counterproductive to what?

Jesus fucking christ

There's a lot to unpack here, especially about the bimbos. Please continue.

Come on you're just being dishonest here you know exactly that's not what I meant just it would have been a great opportunity.

Don't try to pull something misogynist of what I said I just think it's a missed opportunity either for men or women as I said my girlfriend would've liked to go their but without me she wouldn't since she'd rather spend time with me playing rather than being alone.

I have no clue what the hell you are saying to be honest.

Cottiny

Banned
Not this shit again! You are Spanish but let me educate you real quick because you're obviously not informed about your own damn country's history on racism.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2017/01/11/inenglish/1484151919_267996.html
https://www.liberties.eu/en/news/racism-not-overcome-spain

The second link talks about the police racially profiling Black Spaniards as one bullet point. Sound familiar?

Implying that Ceuta and Melilla shoots (with not even real guns like you Americans) have something to do with racism. They have to do with stopping illegal immigration. And I won't let a American who belives that we are racist, when black slaves from your country where coming to Spanish Florida to save themselves because they could be free there, to teach me the history of my own country.

How many world leaders are Women? How many CEOs are Women? How of the popular movies are protagonist are Women?

And how many women work on coal mines? Or how many are homeless? You see, I just made a poor shitty point like you did.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Why won't these women come to our co ed gaming events where we can harass them to their faces instead of having to go through the trouble of doing it online?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
There is just so much wrong with this and I just honestly can't believe that its coming from a heath ledger joker face

Then explain me maybe there is a bias I'm not seeing I just see this as a missed opportunity and I'm not quite comfortable with any attend prohibitting gender skin color or belief.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

What you propose already happens and only serves to prove the point about why men should be excluded from these types of events in the first place due to discussion and education constantly being stifled by whataboutisms. Men aren't going to these events to genuinely be educated about why they need to take place in the first place. Because the ones that do understand don't also have a sense of entitlement to be involved in everything that women do.

Top Bottom