• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 remake's latest staff interviews (contains some info on multi-release plan)

Arcayne

Regarding the multi-release plan; it sounds good on paper, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm excited to wait each (bi)year for the next release just so I can continue my save progress.

Everything else sounds like a good change or addition.

expecting full party control from an action-based rpg is a mediocre thought regardless of whether you wanted the game to be an evolution of the atb system or not.

I'm saying I didn't want an action-based RPG in the first place. I'm still not convinced it is one based on what Kitase has said. "More actiony" does not necessarily mean ARPG.

HeelPower

No don't misunderstand me, I agree.
But I think this is what SE will do, which partly explains why the remake is going to be so freaking huge.

Oh not you per se ,but Its kinda weird that some people think creating something like Duscae region is some compromise or downgrade from a top down map.
Maybe have something like a top down view of Cloud running around on a more detailed world map like in the original game?

Not as interesting as a properly scaled one.

if their smart they will release an anime, movies, etc to keep interest inbetween each part

I imagine Square Enix's plan on a best-case scenario is to make FF7 a mini-franchise of its own as they develop all the episodes, so tie-ins I think makes sense. I think it's more financially viable, as opposed to one gigantic game that takes 15 years to develop and who knows if they'll even make half that investment back.

As a rough example.

Episode I: Midgar to Junon. You would only be able explore one continent. Just like the original game.

Episode II: Costa Del Sol to Rocket Town. Another continent is added to explore. Just like the original game.

Episode III: Wutai - Nothern Crater. The rest of the map opens up and you'd finally be able to explore everywhere with Highwind. Just like the original game.

Rough example I know, but I will critizice this on the grounds that those spans are very anticlimatic. Midgar is an arc that ends with Cloud and crew realizing that there may be a greater evil lurking in the world now besides the Shinra Inc. they've been fighting. There's very little about Junon that screams this is where we leave everyone waiting for the next game.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a world map that looks like the one in the original. Nomura had already dumped the traditional world map that Versus had at one point because he said it looked really strange to run around a world with that level of visual quality. There was one screen of it released and it did look weird.

expecting full party control from an action-based rpg is a mediocre thought regardless of whether you wanted the game to be an evolution of the atb system or not.

Oh come on, this stance is not that hard to understand. When somebody wants a complete party control in a game they like, finding that the game doesn't actually allow it would be disappointing. It being an action RPG or anything else is irrelevant to this point.

Rough example I know, but I will critizice this on the grounds that those spans are very anticlimatic. Midgar is an arc that ends with Cloud and crew realizing that there may be a greater evil lurking in the world now besides the Shinra Inc. they've been fighting. There's very little about Junon that screams this is where we leave everyone waiting for the next game.

Yar, I am very well aware. It's exactly why I put the "rough" disclaimer to begin with, haha. I actually pondered specifically about the anticlimatic Junon thing in that "how would you like it be split" thread.

They're talking as if these episodes will have the scope and detail of a full priced game.

Each episode being a 60 dollar game...I think that's a great way to approach being true to the original's scope

Some people won't like it, but this feels like the only way it could be done, while still making a profit making the project worthwhile

paolo11

Gotta ask about the adjusting the story line part. Does it mean they are going to change some characters' fates here?

I'm not going to fully back down on my statements from the other thread, but I will say that perhaps I jumped to conclusions too quickly. I'm just very concerned over too many hand offs of a project like this, and over developers not caring about how this turns out. This could literally stretch over half a decade of development, and that could actually ruin the end product.

That said, the obsession with recreating everything and making it very detailed is kind of the ideal statement I would want to hear from the director of this project, so I am heavily conflicted but will return to cautious optimism.

I really hope they do not remove the exploration aspect off FF7...in many ways that is the most important aspect of the game for new players of it, IMO.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a world map that looks like the one in the original. Nomura had already dumped the traditional world map that Versus had at one point because he said it looked really strange to run around a world with that level of visual quality. There was one screen of it released and it did look weird.

thats what you people want?
a pixelated world map?
the fuck is wrong with yall?
yea id much rather have Xenoblade style of worldmap

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Look how happy you are. :) It does seem like this is what versus was meant to be. Now with the episodic/multipart business he HAS to live up to what he's saying now. Make this remake faithful.

Also remember guys. A year ago Verendus said there was 2 FF7 games for PS4 coming out. This is most likely what he was talking about.

I waited 10 years! 1/3 of my life! (yes I have a problem.)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh come on, this stance is not that hard to understand. When somebody wants a complete party control in a game they like, finding that the game doesn't actually allow it would be disappointing. It being an action RPG or anything else is irrelevant to this point.

Oh i'm completely aware and fully understanding of the stance. I'm saying it's idiotic to be complaining about it in this situation. it being an action rpg is relevent because it helps builds context in regards to what is reasonable or not within the confines of the genre or sub-genre.

Yar, I am very well aware. It's exactly why I put the "rough" disclaimer to begin with, haha. I actually pondered specifically about the anticlimatic Junon thing in that "how would you like it be split" thread.

Maybe if they ended with the fight on the Junon ship and made it a lot more remarkable and fleshed out encounter than the original it could serve as a proper ending. It is the first time you encoutner you-know-who after all.

What is wrong with turn based plus epic new graphics? If it's like 13's fight system bleck.... also not expecting to see this out until mid PS5 cycle if they are going episodic. I might as well tune out and check back in 5 years lol

GHG

Gold Member
So is everything ok again now?

I'm so glad they didn't go the AC route for Barret's design. That would have been an abomination.

Falk

that puzzling face
Are you being delusional again? Nomura compares it to Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts. :p

Just be patient. He's going backwards through the stages of grief. Bargaining earlier (turn-based DLC) to denial now.

Soon he's gonna wrap around and become happy cosmicblizzard and everything will be ok.

I'm saying I didn't want an action-based RPG in the first place. I'm still not convinced it is one based on what Kitase has said. "More actiony" does not necessarily mean ARPG.
Well this is what they're making, so isn't it easier just to accept it rather than bemoaning the idea for months? They're not going to change it because a few are not happy with changing the formula, after all. They made it clear this isn't being made just for the sake of nostalgia.

StormKing

Why can FFXV fit on one disc and not this game? Is FFXV a smaller FF game than average? Honestly, this move appears to be more of a business decision rather than a technical one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What is wrong with turn based plus epic new graphics? If it's like 13's fight system bleck.... also not expecting to see this out until mid PS5 cycle if they are going episodic. I might as well tune out and check back in 5 years lol

It's the opposite. The fact that it's episodic means we will see it sooner.

Or are you seriously going to wait for all of them to be released before playing? That's like refusing to watch the new Star Wars movie until the whole trilogy is out.

luminous

Man I'm so excited for this. Splitting into parts means we might actually get to play it this generation. I only hope that each of these episodes turn out lengthy enough.

Why can FFXV fit on one disc and not this game? Is FFXV a smaller FF game than average? Honestly, this move appears to be more of a business decision rather than a technical one.

I don't think it's at all technical, but it's not strictly business either. Honestly, it seems like mostly a creative decision or one that was made to please fans. They know we don't want to wait forever for a new game and they thought they could flesh out the individual parts of FFVII enough to make it in this format.

Seriously if Square had just come out and say all of this in first place they probably could have avoided all that controversy from a few hours ago.

Whenever they shoot the weapon in the face with the canon?

BocoDragon

The story scenario of the original FFVII would make for a game many times larger than the original FFVII with today's increased graphical, storytelling and gameplay scope.

I'm not saying it isn't something they hope to turn into a a longer-term revenue stream too... but it's not as if this is 1/3rd of a normal FF game.

samar11

I wonder how long between each episode releases, that's what I want to know the most. Imagine if its something like 1 year per episode

The story scenario of the original FFVII would make for a game many times larger than the original FFVII with today's increased graphical, storytelling and gameplay scope.

I'm not saying it isn't something they hope to turn into a a longer-term revenue stream too... but it's not as if this is 1/3rd of a normal FF game.

Wat.

Well this is what they're making, so isn't it easier just to accept it rather than bemoaning the idea for months? They're not going to change it because a few are not happy with changing the formula, after all. They made it clear this isn't being made just for the sake of nostalgia.

Oh, I'm likely to accept it once we get more info and my hopes are crushed, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

I've written up some of my thoughts in another thread. For those that are happy or neutral to this change, awesome. For me, it's a pretty massive disappointment.

That being said, I imagine more than a few are unhappy with this, but that's impossible to know without some big polls or something, and even if a decent chunk of the fanbase is upset, it won't change anything.

BocoDragon

I don't think it's at all technical, but it's not strictly business either. Honestly, it seems like mostly a creative decision or one that was made to please fans. They know we don't want to wait forever for a new game and they thought they could flesh out the individual parts of FFVII enough to make it in this format.

Yeah. Short term it's a disappointment. On principle of not being one big game, it's a disappointment. I feel that too.

But the fact that it's multiple parts means that I can actually see them deliver the full story of the game. I was really having a hard time believing that they could make the full game of FFVII into a modern AAA game, and I was thinking masses of it would have to get cut. Now I could see them giving us the whole story.

Reveirg

Disc size has nothing to do with it.

It's really a matter of scope. FFVII's world realized in full HD is going to be really, really massive. A lot of staff, resources and time will be needed to complete development.

AESplusF

Just be patient. He's going backwards through the stages of grief. Bargaining earlier (turn-based DLC) to denial now.

Soon he's gonna wrap around and become happy cosmicblizzard and everything will be ok.

Falk I really appreciate your sense of humor

I'm okay with this if they seamlessly connect the episodes so that I can play it as one package. By that I specifically mean what I can do in the overworld, it needs to be open and seamless across all areas

Perhaps it's a case of splitting it similarly to how the discs originally were

They also need to be released fairly close to each other

I'm guessing we realistically won't see this done until 2020 though minimum

Top Bottom