• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

"Yes the engine is better, but XV is [CITATION NEEDED] and [CITATION NEEDED]."
[1] MGS V is estimated to be roughly 32% of GTA V's land map. Rough calculation derived from reddit- https://m.reddit.com/r/metalgear/comments/27ech8/metal_gear_solid_v_map_size_comparison_with_gta_v/

Now here's the kicker. Based on what we know at this point, FFXV seems to be much bigger than even GTA V. What percentage of that is explorable? Not sure, but for argument's sake, that's not what I'm asked to cite. Image estimated by ds but I found a posting through reddit to compensate https://m.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3jcxbr/final_fantasy_xv_map_size_revealed_its_about_ten/

[2] Now sourcing my next point would be debatable, I will admit that. But what I was saying for this is playing through MGS V was a blast no doubt but think about the spectactle of it all. What can compare in MGSV to Noctis fighting that gigantic tortoise adamantoise type thing seen in various videos? That's moreso what I was speaking on, hard to give a citation on these things when the games not out but this was what I was saying. I should have clarified and said XV seems to have greater highs, since yes ofc the game isn't out but already based on what we've seen it looks to be more ambitious

Honestly at this point why not delay another six months, or a year? They're not going to get another FF out this generation, so this is their chance. Graphically, XV ought to look like a AAA PS4 title, and right now it doesn't.
God the graphic hard on sometimes is unbearable. Why in the hell would they delay the game yet again to satisfy a small minority of pixel counting IQ spotting gamers. When the masses won't care? They need to make sure the game isn't broken,the game is actually good. How it looks needs to be the last thing worried about after the long haul this game has had

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Tabata talks a lot of shit. And he didn't use the word content.

'Things' is clearly being used as a synonym for content here.

The disc that is going on sale on the 29th of November, will contain everything that was scheduled to be in the day one patch, as well as some extra things on top of that.

Calm down. There's 2+ months to work before the game has to ship left and apparently they'll add "some extra things" on the final disc beyond what the day one patch would have included. Whether you don't believe him for some reason or not is irrelevant, you were objectively wrong and best ignored.

mrpeabody

Covering her mouth while laughing.

I know that's what it's supposed to be, but...it doesn't look like that. It looks like she's ready to take a big ol' chomp. Maybe it's just me.

Edit: Meanwhile, darkhair-chan has her fan in a goddamn death grip, probably because she can't bear to witness the carnage that's about to take place. I don't think these models were designed with complex hand positions in mind.

'Things' is clearly being used as a synonym for content here.

Calm down. There's 2+ months to work before the game has to ship left and apparently they'll add "some extra things" on the final disc beyond what the day one patch would have included. Whether you don't believe him for some reason or not is irrelevant, you were objectively wrong and best ignored.

No it's not.

giphy.gif

I'll believe it when I see it buddy.

i-Lo

Yes, that is a shot of the Duscae Demo from last year. Here are a few shots that I took in different lighting scenarios (there were no PNGs available back then, so sorry for the compression):

28591032034_2f53fad38c_h.jpg

28593155573_0bcc2621bc_h.jpg

29116246976_df0262385c_h.jpg

29179622436_63f0a1cfc3_h.jpg

It is sad to hear that they downgraded the lighting and with it so much of the initial atmosphere. And it's sad that some in here, that played Duscae and that have seen the new footage, still deny a downgrade happened.

Wow, even last year that game looked gorgeous, albeit with its share of issues of frame rate and pop in.

How did it go from that to this (oh god those trees, TREES/SHRUB/VEGETATION/FOLIAGE):

Not to mention the fact that pop in for ALL aspects (polygonal and shadow maps) look proportionally worse. Of course, I will concede that all locations are equally bad.

If I end up buying a Neo in the future, I hope that the copy meant for PS4 will suffice without the submission of additional funds for upgrade.

Does it matter how big it is if most of it ends up being empty space that Ignis auto pilots you through in the goddamn car anyway? lol
I threw that disclaimer out there in my sourcepost. We don't know, but we do know there are chocobos for more off road traversal and ofc endgame an airship

Unless you're bringing in anything concrete to counter, I'm going to go with the estimated numbers over your anectdotal assumption

Yes, I'm sure Dualshockers got it right this time and the map is 2,036.8 square kilometers, translating to 786.4 square miles.

That is as likely as Stella coming back to the game.

Toth

Honestly, this whole car thing feels overblown. In the context of the game, the car is their mode of transportation and a treasured reminder of his father to Noctis. Why would Ignis risk the car going into rough terrain and end up with serious damage that would require another expensive trip from Cindy? Why would they want to wreck the car by slamming head first into an IRON giant? Where would they be then????

I'm all for control but I think the game makes a lot of sense when it comes to using a car properly.

Yes, I'm sure Dualshockers got it right this time and the map is 2,036.8 square kilometers, translating to 786.4 square miles.

That is as likely as Stella coming back to the game.
Assume they are wrong. Even considerably wrong, I don't mind that's fine idgaf yea you're right it is ds afterall. However, what I was questioned is on the authenticity of FFXV being bigger than MGS V, and I do honestly believe that that is true and I still haven't been given a counter to that

Assume they are wrong. Even considerably wrong, I don't mind that's fine idgaf yea you're right it is ds afterall. However, what I was questioned is on the authenticity of FFXV being bigger than MGS V, and I do honestly believe that that is true and I still haven't been given a counter to that

It might be bigger, I'm not saying that's false. But that comparison is bullshit.

watching that 50 min slice of gameplay. looks good so far. animations are very impressive all around. i just got to the chocobo and it looks really cool!

Tyaren

edit: Took me a while to spot what's on Luna's fan hahahah.

Noctis is Luna's fan, literally. ;)

I'm interested to see how this turns out in the actual game story. So far Noctis doesn't seem too attached to Luna. Even going to marry Luna seems just "whatever" to him.

Mediking

Noctis is Luna's fan, literally. ;)

I'm interested to see how this turns out in the actual game story. So far Noctis doesn't seem too attached to Luna. Even going to marry Luna seems just "whatever" to him.

??? Noctis cares for Luna deeply.....

He does but doesn't show it in front of the bros. At least that's the impression I got after watching the recent episode of Brotherhood.

I think they both like each other, probably since childhood.
Seems like he likes her but isn't honest about his feelings so he hides it as it being just whatever

Mediking

He does but doesn't show it in front of the bros. At least that's the impression I got after watching the recent episode of Brotherhood.

Seems like he likes her but isn't honest about his feelings so he hides it as it being just whatever

That's what FF guys do.... That's what Cloud did.... Squall did... Titus did.... until it hits a certain point where you can't hold it in anymore. The same is gonna happen to Noctis. He cares deeply for Luna and the guys might tease him about it but be rest assured... the second he sees his baby... he'll melt down.

Tyaren

??? Noctis cares for Luna deeply.....

I'm not doubting that. But I'm following this game closely for many years and the only time Noctis actually openly seemed to care for her in any media that was shown to us, it was in flashbacks when they were kids or in art works of that time. In every other media, like when they mention Luna in the 50 minutes gameplay video, he doesn't seem to care much. That's probably his act.
Tabata talked about their relationship some time ago. I remember him stating that Luna loves Noctis but I don't think he actually said Noctis loves her... I don't remember it correctly and I don't have the actual quote at hand.

By the way, do the two actually know each other as adults? It seemed as if the last time they actually saw each other was when they were kids and Niflheim attacked Tenebrae.

Mediking

I'm not doubting that. But I'm following this game closely for many years and the only time Noctis actually openly seemed to care for her in any media that was shown to us, it was in flashbacks when they were kids or in art works of that time. In every other media, like when they mention Luna in the 50 minutes gameplay video, he doesn't seem to care much. That's probably his act.
Tabata talked about their relationship some time ago. I remember him stating that Luna loves Noctis but I don't think he actually said Noctis loves her... I don't remember it correctly and I don't have the actual quote at hand.

By the way, do the two actually know each other as adults? It seemed as if the last time they actually saw each other was when they were kids and Niflheim attacked Tenebrae.

Final Fantasy romance is Final Fantasy romance, though. Noctis is behaving very similar to how Cloud/Titus/Squall did with who they cared for.

And yeah... they know each other as adults. Noct prolly has a picture of her in the car somewhere. I will literally laugh if we see a scene of him saying, "WOW! THAT'S WHAT LUNA LOOKS LIKE NOW?! WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Falk

that puzzling face

Can't really tell what was and wasn't said between Regis and the bros in the opening CGI since it was offscreen but (Kingsglaive minor spoiler)
being told by your country's worst enemy to marry your childhood sweetheart (?)
sounds like it could suck.

Dark_castle

That is actually one of my biggest complaints about the world design of FFXV. We'd be all much more lenient with the poor technical side of the world if it's design was a bit more interesting. Duscae takes the right direction with the huge stone arches and the crystal shard...

It's way more interesting, logical and less obvious of a boundary.

You hit the nail in the coffin. I thought even Duscae, at least in the demo looked incredibly bland from level design perspective. Everything is so flat, generic and uninviting to explore. Yeah sure the lands are huge, and technically it "looks" good (in Episode Duscae), but the field is just made up of generic plains and marshlands and swamps, some small forests with few trees here and there, it's just very soulless and lacking interesting points of interest or oddities that make players felt compelled to explore. You are right though, that one huge arch and crystal shard is a start, but that isn't enough to make up for everything else really.

Forget Xenoblade and its sequel, XV can't even touch the likes of DA:I or Witcher 3 in terms of world design.

Mediking

You hit the nail in the coffin. I thought even Duscae, at least in the demo looked incredibly bland from level design perspective. Everything is so flat, generic and uninviting to explore. Yeah sure the lands are huge, and technically it "looks" good (in Episode Duscae), but the field is just made up of generic plains and marshlands and swamps, some small forests with few trees here and there, it's just very soulless and lacking interesting points of interest or oddities that make players felt compelled to explore. You are right though, that one huge arch and crystal shard is a start, but that isn't enough to make up for everything else really.

Forget Xenoblade and its sequel, XV can't even touch the likes of DA:I or Witcher 3 in terms of world design.

Throwing shots at the amazing Episode Duscae will always trigger me.

Are you serious with your lies right now? There were points of interest in ED! It wasn't just generic plains and swamps! I explored that area from left to right and I was happily satisfied with what I saw!

Dark_castle

How does the CG have anything to do with the linearity of the game?

More resource to spend on the graphics and cutscenes when you have nothing else to worry about.

Are you serious with your lies right now? There were points of interest in ED! It wasn't just generic plains and swamps! I explored that area from left to right and I was happily satisfied with what I saw!

Lol chill. Good that you liked ED so much, that was just my opinion.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing to explore in ED outside of the cave. Played it twice and i don't recall much outside of what was necessary

Two months ago I was telling people this game was going to be an audiovisual treat. Now I see the new screens and footage and feel like an idiot. They fucking Watch Dogged the game.

Mediking

Lol chill. Good that you liked ED so much, that was just my opinion.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing to explore in ED outside of the cave. Played it twice and i don't recall much outside of what was necessary

I'm NOT really even mad.

You haven't even seen my true power.

All joking aside... I explored the Chocobo Ranch. I explored the gas station. I explored the forest until I saw a black Chocobo. Heck, you can break the demo and get OUTSIDE the boundaries to explore to see the Titan for yourself.

sappyday

Can't really tell what was and wasn't said between Regis and the bros in the opening CGI since it was offscreen but (Kingsglaive minor spoiler)
being told by your country's worst enemy to marry your childhood sweetheart (?)
sounds like it could suck.

I don't think they'll get together by the end. The whole situation surrounding them is forced upon them and they both probably gonna have to sidestep their actual feelings for each other in order to fix everything. At the very least I think that's how Noctis will act. A "I love you but we're not fit to be together" kind of scenario. So when Square says it'll be a different kind of love story I just think they mean something that isn't the typical "so they lived happily ever after"/"they fall in love but they're torn apart at the end!"

Considering how small ED is compared to the rest of the actual map, I'd say it had a decent amount of stuff to explore. A gas station, a chocobo outpost, a dungeon, and a abandoned fort. The big lake in the middle with the dinosaur monsters (I know what they're called but I'm not gonna bother to try spell it out) always make for a good scenery when you're going back and forth. Like I'm not sure what else they should have put besides maybe a few side quests within the map but that's asking a lot for a demo. Of course it's going to get repetitive when you're restricted to that one area and have to do everything in that one area. In the full game that area will now also have more monsters, fishing, chocobo races, and you can swim across the lake.

However, that area could've probably been cherry picked cause it's one of the few areas early in the game that has all those areas within a small space.

Wow, even last year that game looked gorgeous, albeit with its share of issues of frame rate and pop in.

How did it go from that to this (oh god those trees, TREES/SHRUB/VEGETATION/FOLIAGE):

Not to mention the fact that pop in for ALL aspects (polygonal and shadow maps) look proportionally worse. Of course, I will concede that all locations are equally bad.

If I end up buying a Neo in the future, I hope that the copy meant for PS4 will suffice without the submission of additional funds for upgrade.

The lighting is the kicker. They better get that back in!

Otherwise, that is comparing PS4 to xbone. I think the vegetation, LoD, etc is the still the same from Duscae, where it also had its issues. It is just highlighted now with the flatter lighting. IQ and AA look improved however.

MilkBeard

People are praising FF13 graphics now, wow chika wow wow, you all need to take your crazy pills.
When was the last time you looked at Lightning's hands?
Also, pretty much every level sans gran pulse is a small box with flat backgrounds doing its best to take low angles and convince you there's actually stuff outside of the small level box going on (there isn't), battle scenes are even worse and it's all incredibly obvious on PC.
The game had pretty incredible IQ on PS3 at the time of release. I remember how crisp it was. Nowadays, the flaws definitely stand out, like the hands. It's also pretty obvious that they were able to maximize the visual fidelity because of the limited scope of the environments.

The lighting is the kicker. They better get that back in!

Otherwise, that is comparing PS4 to xbone. I think the vegetation, LoD, etc is the still the same from Duscae, where it also had its issues. It is just highlighted now with the flatter lighting. IQ and AA look improved however.

Yes, the vegetation in Duscae demo was one of the weak points of its visuals. So on that end, I don't think it's that much of a downgrade. However, I do hope they can bring the lighting back to at least Platinum demo levels. That, and the texture filtering are what would disappoint me most. I don't care as much about pop-in.

Maledict

[1] MGS V is estimated to be roughly 32% of GTA V's land map. Rough calculation derived from reddit- https://m.reddit.com/r/metalgear/comments/27ech8/metal_gear_solid_v_map_size_comparison_with_gta_v/

Now here's the kicker. Based on what we know at this point, FFXV seems to be much bigger than even GTA V. What percentage of that is explorable? Not sure, but for argument's sake, that's not what I'm asked to cite. Image estimated by ds but I found a posting through reddit to compensate https://m.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3jcxbr/final_fantasy_xv_map_size_revealed_its_about_ten/

Size of game world doesn't matter one bit.

I have no idea why FF15 defenders keep bringing it up. Daggerfall was the largest RPG ever in game world size - and 99.9% of it's content was boring, pointless rubbish amidst vast empty plains of identical mobs and cut-out towns. No Man's Sky is the biggest game ever made and look how much praise it's gotten.

Size of game world is an utterly meaningless stat that shows absolutely nothing about a game. The fact the game world is huge has no impact on the graphics, and it's what's inside that gameworld that matters. So far, what's inside doesn't seem to be impressing a lot of people. 20 hours of quality design and gameplay is worth far more than 40 hours of grind.

I have no idea why FF15 defenders keep bringing it up. Daggerfall was the largest RPG ever in game world size - and 99.9% of it's content was boring, pointless rubbish amidst vast empty plains of identical mobs and cut-out towns. No Man's Sky is the biggest game ever made and look how much praise it's gotten.

Size of game world is an utterly meaningless stat that shows absolutely nothing about a game. The fact the game world is huge has no impact on the graphics, and it's what's inside that gameworld that matters. So far, what's inside doesn't seem to be impressing a lot of people. 20 hours of quality design and gameplay is worth far more than 40 hours of grind.

I'd argue that size matters depending on what you're trying to do.

If you're telling the story of a lengthy/epic journey across the world, your world needs to be large enough to convey the sense of scale your story requires.

KupoNut

Duscae still looks okay from the snippets in the Master Version gameplay, their starting desert and cliff textures are just really bad and I hope a miracle happens and they improve it by release.

Why waste your time writing this if you're not going to bother reading what I wrote? Check what u quoted, I was asked to cite the size in comparison to MGS V and I did.That was the entire point as to what I was writing about.

Like c'mon, I specifically state that what's explorable is debatable. Get that daggerfall copy/pasted statement bs out of here that game was made when I was 2 yrs old and No Man's Sky is a proceduarlly generated space exploration game. Comparing NMS to FFXV is asinine logic

Have we seen Noctis swim in the latest footage? I know Chocobos can, but I haven't seen Noctis do it
I'm NOT really even mad.

You haven't even seen my true power.

All joking aside... I explored the Chocobo Ranch. I explored the gas station. I explored the forest until I saw a black Chocobo. Heck, you can break the demo and get OUTSIDE the boundaries to explore to see the Titan for yourself.
I saw the Titan. It's a cool site just with how big it is, but glitching out of the world map isn't really a plus for the game, lol.
I saw the chocobo ranch and the gas station...not sure I'd call that exploring since there's nothing to do there.

Koozek

Have we seen Noctis swim in the latest footage? I know Chocobos can, but I haven't seen Noctis do it
I saw the Titan. It's a cool site just with how big it is, but glitching out of the world map isn't really a plus for the game, lol.
I saw the chocobo ranch and the gas station...not sure I'd call that exploring since there's nothing to do there.
Somebody said you could swim in the gamescom build, but not dive. They also showed it in one of the Progress Report videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsns_FbbiQY&feature=youtu.be&t=35s

Servbot24

Banned

Not surprisingly, it's shaping up that the smallest games will continue to be the best ones.

Top Bottom